• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•14-16•15 - Straight Outta Competition, super B.O.M.B.A for Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhqwhgads

UNCLE was a pretty enjoyable film when I got the chance to see it, I wasn't expecting it to be a big release but I hope it does well enough overall to not bomb.

Slayven

We need that Blood Syndicate movie

1172282-blood_syndicate.jpg

Toothless

Crazy but awesome that Compton had a bigger opening weekend than Mission: Impossible and likely Ant-Man as well.

The gap between Compton and Crimson Peak is looking grim, at least football is coming back.
I hope you're not expecting Crimson Peak to do well at the box office. Hollywood is probably wanting The Martian to open as soon as possible though; that's gonna do gangbusters.

Motherfuck Arn, Motherfuck Supes, Motherfuck UNCLE
Yo, here comes my knuckle!
Cause I'm the E-A-Z-Y-E and this is the season
To let the real motherfuckin' G's in

eazy-e-o.gif

"Supes, you should have known by now, Eazy duz it."

I actually want to see Straight Outta Compton.

Just got back from Compton. Didn't think it would be my kind of movie at all. Especially with the two and a half hour runtime.

But good goddamn, that's a quality movie

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Mission Impossible was supposed to release later this year. They moved it up to avoid Star Wars.

That's the official word but honestly, without Mission Impossible, Paramount's slate would of been terrible for Viacom this FY15 (broadcasters fiscal year finish in Sept).

I think it would of done well regardless, but releasing it a month later after Spectre might have been a tad too much - much like the situation we have with U.N.C.L.E.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Saw Compton at a 7:30 showing tonight and it was packed...was an awesome film and I so recommend it. I feel it's dealing with the police is especially relevant in these times.

mreddie

I hope you're not expecting Crimson Peak to do well at the box office. Hollywood is probably wanting The Martian to open as soon as possible though; that's gonna do gangbusters.

Dude Crimson is releasing near Halloween, that's gonna be a lock for being a hit.

All the trailers I watched before UNCLE were really bad. Is there nothing decent coming out in Aug-Sept?

wide release wise? Sicario got good press out of Cannes and its got a capable team behind it(Villeneuve, Blunt, Del Toro, Brolin, Roger Deakins), and Black Mass could be good

Yeah the trailers never sold me on Uncle.

Sorry, should have been clearer. I was talking about the trailers attached to UNCLE. (13 Hours, The Intern, We Are Your Friends, Burnt, etc).

wide release wise? Sicario got good press out of Cannes and its got a capable team behind it(Villeneuve, Blunt, Del Toro, Brolin, Roger Deakins), and Black Mass could be good

Sicario and Black Mass both seem like a rental to me. Is Beasts of No Nation getting a wide release? I loved Sin Nombre.

Yeah, it was really fun. I LOVED the music too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFTPLpf1O-Y

Seriously! I bought the soundtrack right after I left the theater to listen on the way home.

Depp looks amazing in black mass. If everything works out it should be a 3-way fight for the Oscar between Depp, Elba and Leo

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I did not expect Straight Out of Compton to be THIS good! One of my favorites of the year for sure.

jtb

Banned
The marketing for the Man from Uncle looked pretty bland and the two leads are remarkably uncharismatic so I guess I'm actually surprised people didn't go see it.

Cerberus

Sicario and Black Mass both seem like a rental to me. Is Beasts of No Nation getting a wide release? I loved Sin Nombre.

The four biggest theater chains are boycotting Beasts so I don't think a wide release is possible.

Arthouse theaters should be showing it though. Maybe a couple hundred theaters?

Fukunaga explicitly said he's not as much a fan of home viewing format over theaters too, lmao. I hope it get a limited release here but if it doesn't I'm glad its on netflix day one

I just hope it doesn't become a trend tho tbh despite how readily available it is. The sweet spot for future releases would be 30-60 days in theaters and then VOD/Netflix immediately after imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom