• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•14-16•15 - Straight Outta Competition, super B.O.M.B.A for Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Really sad Man from UNCLE didn't do well in the box office. More people need to watch it so we can get a sequel ! Great style, visual, editing and also soundtrack. I agree the movie is ultimately missing "something" that I can't quite put my fingers on, but it doesn't deserve to bomb. Hoping for a sequel that can expand on more subjects.

I need Black Mass more than Bridge of Spies right now.

Bridge of Spies trailer was a cheesy mess that spelled out way too much.
Here's to hoping the actual movie is good, love Spielberg and Hanks, so I hold out hope, but I thought the trailer, honestly, was kind of generic terribad.

DMczaf

UNCLE deserves better.

It got what it deserved.

tumblr_nfxt3iQSET1t7lixko1_400.gif

U.N.C.L.E. needed marketing to overpower the automatic inertia that comes from trying to adapt a decades old television show with almost zero cultural cachet starring two men who haven't proven to be memorable on their own.

They didn't do that. They just sorta let it ride, and there just wasn't enough there to appeal:

"Who are these dudes. I guess that's Superman? Dunno if that's supposed to mean something, though. Same with the name. I think that's supposed to mean something, but it doesn't, and I already watched Mission Impossible so like - I can wait."

They didn't even really attempt to counteract any of that.

Glad to see that SOC is doing really well, it was a pretty awesome picture.

Marvin Gaye

I guess if we're not just sticking to the late 80s and early-mid 90s in terms of potential black led biopics...
I would absolutely love a one based on Sylvester, aka "The Queen of Disco", and his involvement in/influence on post "disco demolition" 80s electronic dance music.
I would be nice to see an effeminate queer black man actually be portrayed in a humanizing way while also being celebrated for doing something he was really passionate about, and it would also be cool to educate people about the evolution of disco music after the mostly racist and anti-LGBT backlash to it.
(Though to be fair...I'm not sure if cis/straight america is ready for that kind of story.)

Also a biopic based on the Minneapolis Sound or would be pretty dope too, we could basically get a Prince and The Time movie out of that.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Speaking of Universal. What is their big movie coming out at the end of the year?

There's no apparent hit maker coming from Universal to close year-end.

But, they have Everest, Steve Jobs, By The Sea and Sisters that could generate sufficient traction to finish on a good note.

Anth0ny

SOC word of mouth is going to be insane. I know so many people going to see it next weekend just off word of mouth alone.

my mom heard about straight outta compton on the news and is interested in watching it

the same mom that threw my eminem and 50 cent cds in the garbage when I got in trouble at school

word of mouth for compton is crazy positive :)

There's no apparent hit maker coming from Universal to close year-end.

But, they have Everest, Steve Jobs, By The Sea and Sisters that could generate sufficient traction to finish on a good note.

They do have one but they haven't started started the marketing and no one knows what it is. I follow a producer on facebook and he has been talking about the promotional campaign starting a few weeks into September.

Measley

SOC word of mouth is going to be insane. I know so many people going to see it next weekend just off word of mouth alone.

My friends and I are all in our 30s, and just about all of them are going to see this movie. SoC has the appeal of the 30 somethings who were alive when NWA was huge, and it also has the appeal of the younger crowd. Top it off with the headlines of police brutality which this film also touches on, and you have a film that appeals to a lot of people.

The folks who made this movie are going to make a lot of money.

Toxi

Banned
U.N.C.L.E.'s advertising just made it look like a run-of-the-mill spy movie. That's why I had no interest in watching it.

Toothless

What? That's a number 1 on Thanksgiving weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/thanksgiving.htm?page=3dayopen&p=.htm

EDIT: Ah, I see what I typed wrong. I should never type and creep someones Facebook at the same time.

That's so bizarre though. Good Dinosaur and Creed already have Thanksgiving on lock, and The Night Before should do well too. Releasing a film then when it's probably the most crowded Thanksgiving in recent memory is just weird.

Fantastic Four actually increased over estimates to $8.17m. No record . Just a 68% drop.

How did previous superhero movies with a big drop actually open first week? I feel like it would have been a monumental achievement to have a bigger drop than that considering just how poorly it opened.

Edit: considering the theatre count that has to be a staggeringly low amount of money per theatre.

vinnygambini

vinnygambini

Arnold making the promotional rounds in China for Terminator Genisys - tracking is good.

Appeared on the Voice China lol

kswiston

How did previous superhero movies with a big drop actually open first week? I feel like it would have been a monumental achievement to have a bigger drop than that considering just how poorly it opened.

Edit: considering the theatre count that has to be a staggeringly low amount of money per theatre.

It's one of the highest superhero movie drops. mid 50s to low 60s is typical. Of course, as you point out, Fantastic Four also had one of the lower openings for a superhero film as well.

Nope, this is a movie that comes out on Thanksgiving. It isn't even on the producer's IMDB. Universal is keeping this one really quiet. He posted about it projecting around $50-$60 million on Thanksgiving weekend.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002631/

This is his page.

Nothing that hasn't been announced already is going to make $50-60M Thanksgiving weekend. We're 3 months out.

guek

Banned
Ant-Man will sputter past $160M after today. Keep on crawling, little guy! Here's to hoping it can hit $175M when all is said and done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom