• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition has gone gold

Citizen K

I'm actually playing DA:O for the first time in anticipation for DA:I. I just started to get hyped after following the game and reading this thread. Really enjoying it so far and I plan to play DA2 as well. I'm just playing on easy tho as I mainly want to experience the story and will soon be itching to play inquisition.

Is there any DLC recommended that will be important to play (for parts 1 & 2)? If it's really relevant I may just play some DLC's too.

Also does DA:I have the same combat tactics as the first game? ie where you set your companions battle tactics up. It's quite neat although I'm no expert at it.

Sorry for asking this here but any tips before starting DA2? I'm going in blind atm. Hope I can get through it before Inquisition launches!

Just started a replay myself, though I've been through the game twice. As another poster said, if you're playing on normal (which I'd recommend if you're going in blind and hope to finish before Inquisition) there's not much to worry about.

The difficulty in this game is super front-loaded. If you find you're having trouble against the piddly bandit mobs in Low Town, don't worry, it's normal. They're some of the hardest encounters in the game, IMO, mostly because you're low on viable skills and your gear is still generic.

And there's another point, you're going to find a lot of generic gear, so never worry about buying any. The game periodically throws unique, named gear at you, and each act has a unique set of gear for Hawke's starting class that you find bits and pieces of throughout dungeons in that act. It's really the only armor worth having, so don't waste your money on anything else. Save your money for potions and weapons.

I'm actually playing DA:O for the first time in anticipation for DA:I. I just started to get hyped after following the game and reading this thread. Really enjoying it so far and I plan to play DA2 as well. I'm just playing on easy tho as I mainly want to experience the story and will soon be itching to play inquisition.

Is there any DLC recommended that will be important to play (for parts 1 & 2)? If it's really relevant I may just play some DLC's too.

Also does DA:I have the same combat tactics as the first game? ie where you set your companions battle tactics up. It's quite neat although I'm no expert at it.

Tough to say if anything in Origins is going to be hugely relevant. We know Morrigan's returning, but we don't know what that means yet. Witch Hunt is the only DLC for Origins I can imagine ever being relevant to Inquisition, but I doubt even that much.

Pretty much all of DA2 is relevant, including the Legacy DLC. If you play on an easier difficulty you should be able to get through the relevant bits in time.

Just started a replay myself, though I've been through the game twice. As another poster said, if you're playing on normal (which I'd recommend if you're going in blind and hope to finish before Inquisition) there's not much to worry about.

The difficulty in this game is super front-loaded. If you find you're having trouble against the piddly bandit mobs in Low Town, don't worry, it's normal. They're some of the hardest encounters in the game, IMO, mostly because you're low on viable skills and your gear is still generic.

And there's another point, you're going to find a lot of generic gear, so never worry about buying any. The game periodically throws unique, named gear at you, and each act has a unique set of gear for Hawke's starting class that you find bits and pieces of throughout dungeons in that act. It's really the only armor worth having, so don't waste your money on anything else. Save your money for potions and weapons.

Thanks for the tip! Any class suggestion for Hawke? He/she always seemed like a rogue to me.

LowParry

Hmm. I may be missing it but not seeing any heal type of spells that were speculated. Lots of debuffs and barriers though. I'm okay with this.

I don't see any sustained modes in the skill trees. That's probably a good thing, there were way too many of them in DA2 and 90% weren't worth bothering with.

Sanctuary

Is there a preview of the specialized trees?
I.e. Blood Mage/Arcane Warrior. Not those specifically, but specializations that have to be unlocked in some way and aren't automatically visible from the start.

Get the Awakwning expansion and the Witch Hunt DLC. I think those two are far the most important in Origins. If you plan to play DA2, get the Legacy DLC, as it really expands on Hawke and the Grey Wardens' stories.

Thanks for the tip! Any class suggestion for Hawke? He/she always seemed like a rogue to me.

Rogue is super fun, and Hawke's "origin" story definitely seems to have him associating with a lot of shady characters, so you could be on to something. Rogue gameplay is definitely one of the things DA2 does well.

That said, the story moves in such a way that a mage Hawke might have a more personal stake in the action, but whether you consider that good or bad is up to you. Mage is also really fun and involved.

I was going to go 2-Handed, but Battlemaster sounds like a lot of fun. wow!:O

grappling chain? nice!

sjjDJQp.png

Stone Prisoner (dlc companion), Wardens Keep and Return to Ostagar all add to the main campaign. The first of those is by far the most important. When you finish Origins, import your save and play the Awakening expansion, then import that save to Witch Hunt. You can skip all the other dlc, its all pointless or non-canon.

Then Import the last save from Witch Hunt to play DA2. In DA2, Legacy is a great and important DLC. Mark of the Assassin is fun, but skipable.

Mage is the best way to play Hawke. For one, the sibling you get as a companion is far more compelling then the other one non-mages get (albeit sort of an asshole), and second the game gets very deep in the issue of mages and their freedom/control, so being one of them gives Hawke much more substantial footing in the story.

If you absolutely must play non-mage though, be a Warrior and mingle with Templars.

Also, just make Varric a permanent member of your party.

oneils

Not really sure whether or not I want to play this on pc or what.

Does the PC version support a controller? If so, then my choice is fairly easy.

We should put a FAQ into the first post of this thread because we keep getting the same questions asked and answered over and over again. Or would that be too similar to an OT?

Oh yeah. Knight Enchanter is gonna be the best.

Got it all planned out. I'm gonna roll that, and keep Cassandra in my party, and we will fight side by side in the thick of battle. She tanks the aggro and does Templar stuff while I cast buffs, traps and do that crazy cloak blast shit. Meanwhile the two other companions just snipe mad dps from safety. We will be unstoppable.

adj_noun

Knight Enchanter is gonna be the best.

I'd make an argument for the Necromancer beyond its no-doubt blood curdling spook factor, but...that's one of the ones we really don't know much about.

Except for this:

These mages specialize in binding the spirits that are drawn to death. They can put the fear of death into enemies, bring spirits to fight on their behalf, and even cause devastating explosions when their enemies die.

Renekton

What party composition are you guys planning? Trying to avoid the Grimrock trap.

Tank - 2H - Archer - Mage?
or
2H - Dagger - Mage - Mage?

KJRage

I only played very little of the first Dragon Age and none of the 2nd. How difficult will nightmare difficulty be? Were the other ones really frustrating? I would like to try and platinum this game and I'm not sure how good I will be with the tactics and all that. I'm getting the game regardless, but I like my trophies :)

Sanctuary

Just tried using Dragon Age Keep for the first time. And wow, that's a lot of data collection they're doing. I was surprised to see all of my character records across both games still available. I'm also surprised that I had 9 heroes from DA2 (although I never actually finished it more than twice).

Going out of town to visit an aunt that loves RPGs for a few weeks. She told me that I could have a few days of solitude to play this if I wanted. She's never actually played Origins yet, so I just impulse bought it for her for the 360 so she'll be occupied while I'm ignoring her. Then, if she's actually finished it before I leave, she can play DA:I on my PC.

Good choice?

Ralemont

not me
I only played very little of the first Dragon Age and none of the 2nd. How difficult will nightmare difficulty be? Were the other ones really frustrating? I would like to try and platinum this game and I'm not sure how good I will be with the tactics and all that. I'm getting the game regardless, but I like my trophies :)

You might want to save Nightmare for your second playthrough, if only because by then I'm sure someone will discover a broken build as they always do that will make Nightmare much easier.

That being said BW games are usually not awful for difficulty.

Ralemont

not me
Sorry for asking this here but any tips before starting DA2? I'm going in blind atm. Hope I can get through it before Inquisition launches!

Be consistent in either maxing out friendship or rivalry with your companions. The worst place to be in DA2 is for a character to feel meh about you. It's not like Origins where characters leave if they disapprove all the time. Rivalry doesn't mean they hate you, it just means you butt heads a lot. So don't be afraid to put someone really in the red if they are leaning that way. Some of the best conversations in the game are with rivalry companions.

Be consistent in either maxing out friendship or rivalry with your companions. The worst place to be in DA2 is for a character to feel meh about you.

Rivalry doesn't mean they hate you, it just means you butt heads a lot. So don't be afraid to put someone really in the red if they are leaning that way. Some of the best conversations in the game are with rivalry companions.

Indeed. Don't try to be overly friendly or change your decisions just to appease characters who normally disagree with you, just let the rival meter grow. You can even still romance them in rivalry for some interesting friction.

Fenris is tough though. Its easy to end up not maxed at the end (and thus potentially problematic) if your pro-mage and anti-slavery, which I always was. Now I just use console commands to force his rival meter to max.

What party composition are you guys planning? Trying to avoid the Grimrock trap.

or

Tank - Archer - Mage - Mage

One of those mages will be my Inq as a Knight Enchanter, so the melee/ranged split will be even.

Or Mage - Mage - Mage - Mage when I'm feeling trolololly.

Tabby

or

I don't know why or how but in DA:O and DA2 (And probably DA:I as well) I always end up with a Tank - Mage - Dagger - Archer.

Top Bottom