• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ (PC/XB1/PS4, BN/ASW, UE4, early 2018, beta Sum 2017) E3 trailer

Zutrax

So I'm ignorant of DBZ.

What do I watch to remedy this?

Watch original Dragonball if you want "the full story", you can appreciate when Piccolo, Yamcha, Tien, Yajirobe, etc. were all genuine threats and it was a simpler, more adventurous time.

If you want the meat of the franchise watch DBZ Kai, don't even think about watching non-Kai at this point, maybe go out of your way to watch the driving school episode because it's hilarious.

Then watch the Battle of the Gods movie and Return of Frieza, and jump into Super directly after those two arcs. Or if you want to watch Super dubbed like the good lord intended, just watch it up to where it's dubbed right now and skip the films.

Other than their move set characters should be more true to the anime. Like Majin Buu having a slow life regen and the hability to copy the supers used on him.

Others like Vegeta should go on rampage if you have 50% less energy than the opponent... Or Teen Gohan go berserk if the other two team members are KOd

Nah save that shit for Xenoverse.

Other than their move set characters should be more true to the anime. Like Majin Buu having a slow life regen and the hability to copy the supers used on him.

Others like Vegeta should go on rampage if you have 50% less energy than the opponent... Or Teen Gohan go berserk if the other two team members are KOd
Have someone from the opposing team slap Bulma, and suddenly Vegeta smacks the shit out of the enemy team single handedly in 5 seconds.

Yu Yu Hakusho does deserve it, but I feel their roster wouldn't be half as good as anime games like DBZ and Naruto. I know it's a shorter manga/story and all, but once you go through the main four, Botan, Genkai, Toguro,Sensui and Koenma most of the characters might end up being nobodies from the Dark Tournament.
Scalpel dude from Chapter Black, you could do Sensui's other cronies too
Several cool people in the Dark Tournament (specifically wind guy, drunk guy)

Doesn't need a 25 person roster like Dragon Ball
it also would never exist but yea
. 12-15ish would be fine. I wouldn't really want a team based game for YYH, doesn't really suit the franchise unless I'm forgetting some sick team up moments lol

OmarLexus

Why? They say it in the Japanese version of the show too.

Gohan calls himself a Z fighter in ep. 167 of the Funi dub, but it's not in the original. Scanning through the episodes right now and I can't find the Japanese announcer saying it either, but in the dub he calls them the Z warriors a lot.

HardRojo

YYH would nicely fill a 15 person roster, that'd be totally fine for a 1v1 game to be honest.
Gohan calls himself a Z fighter in ep. 167 of the Funi dub, but it's not in the original. Scanning through the episodes right now and I can't find the Japanese announcer saying it either, but in the dub he calls them the Z warriors a lot.
I believe I've heard "Zetto senshi" before, probably in Kai.

Yu Yu Hakusho does deserve it, but I feel their roster wouldn't be half as good as anime games like DBZ and Naruto. I know it's a shorter manga/story and all, but once you go through the main four, Botan, Genkai, Toguro,Sensui and Koenma most of the characters might end up being nobodies from the Dark Tournament.

Does she even fight? Also, a smaller roster is fine.

I'm attempting to watch all the series starting from DBZ (original not Kai). I started at the Frieza saga and I'm coming towards the end of the Cell games saga after about 2 years on and off. So yeah, there's an absolute shitload to gorge yourself on if you want and it's daunting if you try and watch it all through in a short space of time. Don't do that as it'll become a chore and you won't enjoy each episode.

If you take the approach of watching in batches when you find the time the experience can be a real pleasure. The world of DB is such a joyful one to be engrossed in.

cordy

Banned
I'm attempting to watch all the series starting from DBZ (original not Kai). I started at the Frieza saga and I'm coming towards the end of the Cell games saga after about 2 years on and off. So yeah, there's an absolute shitload to gorge yourself on if you want and it's daunting if you try and watch it all through in a short space of time. Don't do that as it'll become a chore and you won't enjoy each episode.

If you take the approach of watching in batches when you find the time the experience can be a real pleasure. The world of DB is such a joyful one to be engrossed in.

Why did you skip the Saiyan Saga?

I vastly prefer the original to Kai

Pacing is definitely hard to consume in bulk but I like the original western music and voice acting. The music is a huge part of the series' identity to me. I understand if people think it's corny and prefer the Japanese stuff but the Falconer stuff rules in its own way

TreIII

Absolutely. No dumb characters gimmicks, let the competitive scene have the series for once.

Dumb character/series gimmicks that are true to the source material do tend to happen a lot in Arc's collab fighting games, though. It's part of the reason their Hokuto no Ken game was so amazing!

We wouldn't have stuff like Freeza's dual slicers coming back to hurt him, apparently a thing that can set up his "You Will Die At My Hand!" wakeup super, if there wasn't a concerted effort on Arc's part to balance fanservice and competitive play!

ec0ec0

Read the manga.

^^^

so not a single honest comment mentioning how the dragon ball anime just streches scenes to ridiculous levels, to the point where, when compared to the manga, nothing happens for like 10 minutes?

read the manga.

I guess Kagari is a mod for a reason.

Daingurse

^^^

so not a single honest comment mentioning how the dragon ball anime just streches scenes to ridiculous levels, to the point where, when compared to the manga, nothing happens for like 10 minutes?

read the manga.

Not everyone likes manga man. But yeah, the pacing in the manga is great, and I love how Toriyama draws action.

Laiza

Am I the only one who's going to suggest watching Kai with the Yamamoto soundtrack?

Yes, the guy was sacked for plagiarism, but I still can't imagine watching the series without The Formidable Warrior or The Heroic Face Off hyping me up in the background. Kikuchi and Faulconer have their own charms, but Yamamoto is still the only guy who I felt really nailed what modern Dragon Ball should sound like.

Ah, well. Missed opportunities and all that...

Slaythe

Uh, why does Goku uses his lv3 super and he doesn't have SSJ3 ???

The move list doesn't mention any way to activate SSJ3. I'm confused.

Does he only turn SSJ3 if he kills the opponent ?

ec0ec0

Not everyone likes manga man. But yeah, the pacing in the manga is great, and I love how Toriyama draws action.

watching the dragon ball anime reminds me of watching Captain Tsubasa, another great example of an anime where you just feel that nothing is happening. How many chapters do we need to cross the field?

Daingurse

watching the dragon ball anime reminds me of watching Captain Tsubasa, another great example of an anime where you just feel that nothing is happening. How many chapters do we need to cross the field?

Relative to the manga, OG DBZ is pretty dang slow.

DominoKid

Guys, of course if you watched the original run of Z you're probably going to prefer that over Kai even if Kai makes a lot of QOL improvements. But for someone new, I'd recommend Kai over Z any day simply due to those QOL improvements it makes from not just the redubbing but also cutting a loooooooot of the filler. Not many newcomers to the series I'd imagine would have the patience for all 289 (or is it 281? I mix this up a lot) episodes of Z.

And if you tell a newcomer to watch Z, then you have to dive into what episodes to not watch because there's full filler arcs like the Otherworld Tournament and Black Water Mist/Garlic Jr. arc. Simply recommending Kai is the better route to go for someone who's looking to get into the series.

If they want to see what the filler content is after watching Kai then it's much better to seek that content out after watching Kai. You'll still be cutting out a lot of filler that happens in actual "canon" episodes.

Black Water Mist and the Otherworld Tournament are sick though. I wouldn't advise skipping them even if it is filler.

^^^

read the manga.

the anime stretches scenes to ridiculous levels to make it easier to animate, show more ads and to not overlap the manga's story timeline

but I thought DBZ Kai was supposed to cut the filler and pace scenes better

Slaythe

can you tell us where did you see that?

giphy.gif

Guessing SSJ3 activates when Goku's the last character left on the team.

I think it's a glitch because he has the same aura as SSJ3 and he "detransforms" at the end except nothing changes...

Has there been any info on single player content? I'd love a story mode, even though it'd probably just be, well, DBZ.

They said there will be a lot of single player content.

giphy.gif

I think it's a glitch because he has the same aura as SSJ3 and he "detransforms" at the end except nothing changes...

They said there will be a lot of single player content.

I hope it isn't a glitch because SSJ3 is hideous and should be removed from the history books.

The interviewer asked about other forms of Cell & Buu and if those characters could transform into them, and they said they want to stay true to the source material and only have characters able to transform if it makes sense for them. Of course not mentioning of other forms of Cell or Buu were in the game at all.

Top Bottom