• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ (PC/XB1/PS4, BN/ASW, UE4, early 2018, beta Sum 2017) E3 trailer

shaowebb

Mechanically MvCI seems fine, it's just the awful artstyle that's really killing it. A huge downgrade from 3 for sure.

All true. Ono stated they'll fix this though so it sounds like KOF 14...not a lot of deep shader and map work finished yet. Character model touchups on faces and such hopefully come too.

Whats really hurting it is that they put the unfinished stuff under a magnifying glass by trying to showcase story mode which highlights the finer details that are or are not there yet on the models. I get they wanted to push they learned a lesson with SFV and say "look! We got a story mode! Single player is here like NRS! Please be happy!" but the way they went about it was rough. They put it out right after a massive hit in fighting game graphics was shown with Dragonball Fighter Z and they showcased they're story mode cutscenes that looked rough in the MIDDLE of an event surrounding their presentation with ones of AAA titles meant to look like 4k tv wet dreams. It was the worst possible way to show it off...it made their game look cheap and it put a bad foot forward on the impression folks will get out of what theyre to expect out of that mode. It makes them expect a cheap story and a rushed game.

Thing is the game is great to play. It just has released every bit of news in the worst way by showing it in such a manner that makes it feel like a let down or bait and switch. I think they need to do more loc testing and streams with combofiend to answer questions and get people onto the game more because as is they are presenting badly and its creating head canon online that people are believing and taking negatively.

When folks wanna focus on the bad you need to show more of the GOOD.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

dan2026

Why would they be playing something they disliked? I'd think they wouldn't even run tournaments if they didn't like it.
Because it's Street Fighter and it gets played just because it is Street Fighter?

Bit facetious I know, but I have seen tons of great fighting games get passed over just because they aren't Street Fighter.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
As a person who doesn't know how this stuff is usually handled, it does feel like it would be weird to not have that option. 1v1 seems much more fitting for DBZ than 3v3 stuff anyway.

Kinda. It's a different concept of balance for the game, and requires some separate considerations the main modes don't focus on. But it is a nice option.

DBZ has a lot of single fights, but they're often presented as "Z fighters VS enemies!" in the English dub. If you look at is as something like the "Z fighters" softening up the big bad while waiting for Goku, team battles feel a lot more legit. Tag doesn't seem off at all, but co-op attacks push the feeling. It's better in Super right now though...

I'd like if it had variable team sizes ala Skullgirls but I doubt it.

Yeah, I doubt they'll get into any types of ratio-changes and such. Yet you can bet we'll see such a thing in story mode...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kinda. It's a different concept of balance for the game, and requires some separate considerations the main modes don't focus on. But it is a nice option.

DBZ has a lot of single fights, but they're often presented as "Z fighters VS enemies!" in the English dub. If you look at is as something like the "Z fighters" softening up the big bad while waiting for Goku, team battles feel a lot more legit. Tag doesn't seem off at all, but co-op attacks push the feeling. It's better in Super right now though...

Yeah, I doubt they'll get into any types of ratio-changes and such. Yet you can bet we'll see such a thing in story mode...
If the story mode is like gg it will just be a 3 hour movie

HardRojo

MvCI could look a lot better without that horrible chromatic aberration and with a filter to give it a more stylized look, but I guess you can't really hide buttugly models with filters, so they gotta work on that too.

Rutger

Banned

I wonder if that's the approach they will take with it though.
It works great for GG, since it doesn't have an anime or anything so it gives us a way to watch its world, but Dragon Ball already has that covered. If they go for their own new storyline it could still work, but who knows.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

I actually hope it's nothing like it in that regard! I really tried to soldier though... one of those BlazBlue stories, but I don't really care for Aksys writing, and even though there's some fun offshoots in there, the idea of spending hours with a fighter... and NOT FIGHTING was just horrible.

I'd love a Sakura Wars 5 style take on the visual novel formula. Playing through the classic DBZ moments... and then suddenly getting a choice to say something totally unfitting to toss the story in a "What If?" direction would rock.

Slaythe

I actually hope it's nothing like it in that regard! I really tried to soldier though... one of those BlazBlue stories, but I don't really care for Aksys writing, and even though there's some fun offshoots in there, the idea of spending hours with a fighter... and NOT FIGHTING was just horrible.

I'd love a Sakura Wars 5 style take on the visual novel formula. Playing through the classic DBZ moments... and then suddenly getting a choice to say something totally unfitting to toss the story in a "What If?" direction would rock.

Butoden 2 was great.

Personally I'd love for this game to be like KOF and have a made up story "what if", with canon teams.

Have one ending for each team.

Well Guilty Gear did it much better than BlazBlue since it's basically 3-4 hour animated movie instead of an inanimate talking heads visual novel.

DrDogg

Max is kind of his own thing. Loves fighters, goes to evo but not really other stuff. Kinda distances himself from most of the FGC bullshitery.

Yeah Max is kind of like a casual tournament player. He's hardcore, but his opinions are more in line with casual players IMO. Nothing wrong with that, but I definitely agree he's his own thing.

New002

Why would they be playing something they disliked? I'd think they wouldn't even run tournaments if they didn't like it.

You mentioned tournaments so I imagine you're asking from a competitive standpoint? If so...then...because it pays? That's not to say people can't also enjoy it, but it's pretty easy to figure out why someone might compete in something they aren't necessarily super thrilled about. And Capcom puts in money to support SFV with these tournaments, and money brings players, and players bring money. Plus Street Fighter as a brand still carries a lot of weight.

For what it's worth, outside of the root-kit (thanks Capcom), I enjoyed SFV. Still LOVE watching the tournaments. Stopped playing because all my friends dropped it :(

Rutger

Banned

I would say that BB is not a good example of GG's writing or its story mode. As of Rev 2 it's story mode is completely animated with the great character models and split up into episodes, it pretty much is a small anime, haha. I never cared for fighting game AI, and forced fights took me out of fighting game story modes, so I liked the change.

I imagine a story mode for DBF will take what the team learned from Rev 2's story mode, but who knows if it will have fights or not since we have nothing to go on for this game's story.

Sami+

That may be a bit of a steep hill to climb, at least within the FGC. Before DBF can get a shot at SFV, it has to get through both Melee & Smash 4 (purely from a competitive standpoint). That being said, I can see DBF being amongst the top 5 biggest competitive fighting games in the FGC & it probably has the best shot at getting to the top of any of the recent fighting games (due to ASW & Dragon Ball as a brand).

Melee and Smash 4 don't really have any relation to the FGC. We're at EVO but for the most part we're our own community with mutual respect and some overlap here and there. How the FGC views this is almost entirely independent from Smash's position in the scene imo.

Two Words

Other than their move set characters should be more true to the anime. Like Majin Buu having a slow life regen and the hability to copy the supers used on him.

Others like Vegeta should go on rampage if you have 50% less energy than the opponent... Or Teen Gohan go berserk if the other two team members are KOd
When has Vegeta ever won a fight because he was angry?

NeonZ

Extreme Butoden had a general DBZ story from Raditz to the Buu Saga, character specific what ifs and a final villain story that led into an alternate Battle of Gods. The issue though is that the what ifs really weren't varied enough.

They generally just followed a format like "Character does surprising well, but still loses and the story continues without changes". In Kuririn's story he counter attacks Raditz during their encounter and actually beats him up, but afterwards Raditz takes him seriously, beats him and the story flows like usual. That kept happening over and over, making playing through different stories feel very repetitive.

There was also another story (although, really, it was pretty much a variation of the villain one, but more focused on the heroes and post-GT, in spite of the lack of GT characters in the game) tied to a separate mode where you go through various boards finishing challenges to unlock assists.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Butoden 2 was great.

Personally I'd love for this game to be like KOF and have a made up story "what if", with canon teams.

Have one ending for each team.

That'd be great too. I still remember the first time in the Budokai games when they started tossing around joke fusions. Like you mention, the old Butoden's seemed to like making up fantasy tales... I think it'd be a nice way to use the characters here.

Well Guilty Gear did it much better than BlazBlue since it's basically 3-4 hour animated movie instead of an inanimate talking heads visual novel.

I tried watching one of the GG's on youtube (I owned the first Revelator on PS3, traded it away before doing it's story, and wanted to catch up because I got XRD on PS4 finally), and it... just didn't hold me either, lol. It definitely is a better step, though. I like the alt looks and comedy the scenes also have, but I actually have to GET to them first.

I hope they don't just clone, but get to iterate on how this stuff works in their fighters, with this game. DBZ would be the perfect place to but a few QTE's and alt story paths based on choices in.

It's not even the fact there's inanimate talking heads that urks me (especially with a few awesomely drawn 2D splash pictures), it's just that a developer of reaction-based games should put at least of bit of SOMETHING in to keep my controller from turning off / screen darkening in between segments. With an engine / artistry that basically made "interactive anime" possible, if I'm not going to get actual fights (which I'd like!), I'd appreciate an ocassional "mash X to slap Johnny with a Dolphin!" or "Shake Ramlethal out of her confused stupor" segments. Or getting to look around the scenery, and inspect items in the background to hear my current character's inner thoughts on things.

I would say that BB is not a good example of GG's writing or its story mode. As of Rev 2 it's story mode is completely animated with the great character models and split up into episodes, it pretty much is a small anime, haha. I never cared for fighting game AI, and forced fights took me out of fighting game story modes, so I liked the change.

I imagine a story mode for DBF will take what the team learned from Rev 2's story mode, but who knows if it will have fights or not since we have nothing to go on for this game's story.

Long fights that were implemented just to say "The character fought!" do feel weird to me, yeah. But as natural points to a tale (like the hero fighting their main nemesis)... I'd love to at least get a few of those. If anything, I wish they'd make it optional.

I'll totally give GG's story more chances as time goes on (because I do see there's a lot of stuff I'd like to see in it that I'm in the dark about), but years of going through other slow, Aksys-translated stories really just left a long-lasting bad taste in my mouth.

Maybe with DBZ here I'll just be able to hit the ground running and enjoy it all from the start. You generally don't have to worry about profuse swearing and overly edgy stuff in DBZ, and the Funi voice talent / Japanese Seiyuu know their characters so well at this point, that every story they weave is fun in some way.

sibarraz

Banned
『Inaba Resident』;240647444 said:

The difference is that with SFxt, you still had SF IV being fully supported by capcom and the fgc, so dropping that game was not a big deal if you still wanted to have a capcom game to play. Now if you drop SF IV, you don't have anything left

SFxT did everything so wrong on the competitive side of things that the game died very quick

I don't play fighting games, but the thing about this game is that it looks insane, stylish, and fun. It also has that phenomenal art direction. Really scratches that mid 90s marvel v capcom 2 itch I didn't even know I still had with ip that I have a lot of love for. It's a killer combo and I could not be more excited.

HardRojo

Off screen 1080 60fps. No direct cap allowed.

Well that's a shame, they should let people like you go all out with the impressions and content for the game, it's taken the FGC by storm and it'd be really cool to see some direct feed footage of attendees playing it. Anyway, looking forward to your impressions!

Slaythe

What was great about butoden 2 is that it had some really hard fights, and if you lost the story would change.

Some characters would get killed off permanently and stuff.

Sick.

Here I'd like something for the "teams".

And a mode where you can unlock new colors maybe, that'd be cool. But you can already select manga color... you need to lock that away since we won't get costumes :D . Work for it !

Slaythe

Well that's a shame, they should let people like you go all out with the impressions and content for the game, it's taken the FGC by storm and it'd be really cool to see some direct feed footage of attendees playing it. Anyway, looking forward to your impressions!

We have seen enough of the game in direct capture.

I'm sure they don't want direct footage to spread too much cause it's not entirely finished.

We'll have a beta soon anyway :D .

Off screen footage with a good camera (and not bad phone) is enough since we know what the game looks like.

edit :

oops double post

My friend asked about beam struggles.. I had to explain that this isn't being played on a 3D platform and it's just not practical for balance problems that may arise ( which also means you can't fly at will) He's still hype tho.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Hey man, I missed a lot of your recent streams because of work, I hope you have some super positive impressions here. This is the Dragon Ball game I've always wanted and I'm hoping they fucking nail it.

It's really MVC2/Xrd.

Much more simple than Xrd tho. Magic series works for all characters. Crazy with assists, happy birthdays, command overheads, many ways to open ppl up.

Spman2099

That may be a bit of a steep hill to climb, at least within the FGC. Before DBF can get a shot at SFV, it has to get through both Melee & Smash 4 (purely from a competitive standpoint). That being said, I can see DBF being amongst the top 5 biggest competitive fighting games in the FGC & it probably has the best shot at getting to the top of any of the recent fighting games (due to ASW & Dragon Ball as a brand).

With MvC:I looking super, super shaky, and this looking to do similar things that people loved about MvC games (and looking amazing in the process), I think this has a real chance of making it in a big way in the FGC. In a healthy market, I don't think it would have a chance. However, this is the perfect time for this game to release.

Shin Budokai 2 also had a really neat "what if" story with branches. Man, I gotta track down those games because I had a lot of fun with them.

Actually, I could totally see DBF doing it's story to resemble Budokai 1's presentation. I remember being impressed by it as a kid with how close they tried to match the anime scenes and also introduces some great alt moments (like that dream where Cell absorbed Krillin).

ec0ec0

so how is that i've yet to read anything about what happens when each opponent does a super at the same time? is there any clash at all or not?

Top Bottom