• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII 3DS remake coming to iOS, Android

Namikaze

I have DQ8 on my phone and it's pretty decent, it runs at a playable frame rate and I love the cloud save feature. I'd definitely check this out if it came to the west.

Hugstable

Banned
I honestly don't care if it just comes as iOS, I need this Remake so bad. Dragon Quest VII was my Final Fantasy VII back in the playstation days, and I've been wanting to play this Remake so badly since I first laid eyes on it. I don't care if I have to play it upright and it makes my hands hurt like 4 ios did, I JUST NEEEEED IT! 3DS would be amazing since then I can play on my nice XL screen and with buttons, but I will play this game no matter what.

Psxphile

Thought this was a U.S. announcement for a sec. ARGH!

If I was OP I'd be like:
tumblr_nsgrio3TV91rmfm2yo1_540.png

I just automatically assume any and all DQ threads are 'only in Japan' unless stated otherwise. You should too.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I wonder how they'd bring this over even on mobile. The localization still isn't done.

Megatron

I don't see how a mobile release means it has better chances of a localization on mobile. The hurdle of translation is still the same.

Potential audience size is that much bigger now. Plus they can do one translation and use it for the 3ds, ios and android version. if they are smart they release this on 3ds first, then a month or so later on mobile.

Neoweee

If anything, it completely kills it.

I agree with this.

Why would they want to bother with having to make physical cartridges to sell at a higher price than the mobile version, and/or dealing with Nintendo's awful DRM?

Knowing that this is coming makes it very, very difficult for S-E to sell a 3DS version for $40($50?).

I agree with this.

Why would they want to bother with having to make physical cartridges to sell at a higher price than the mobile version, and/or dealing with Nintendo's awful DRM?

Knowing that this is coming makes it very, very difficult for S-E to sell a 3DS version for $40($50?).
Huh,f there is no way SE won't release the 3DS version, even if digitally only, if they localize and release the smartphone version. I am hopeful since SE is rebuilding the brand I'm the West.

Yagharek

Oh well, at least I can now safely assume I'll never get to play this and don't have to worry about waiting for the 3DS version to get any kind of translation.

I was always disappointed it never came to PAL when it was on PS1 and importing was beyond my means. I thought this would finally be rectified when it came to 3DS.

Happy for potential phone gamers to get it, but as someone who cannot get my head or fingers around controlling games on a phone (never mind having a blackberry) I can finally move on to the acceptance stage.

heringer

I agree with this.

They could go digital only.

I agree with Aeana. It's either both or neither.

Scrawnton

On the topic of localization it's either both or neither. Square knows we want the 3DS version. They wouldn't kill fan support in the west by only releasing the phone version, remember they still have DQ11 on PS4 and 3DS to sell us. Hard to do that if you purposely dick over your fan base.

FStubbs

The PSP/Vita fanbase wanted FF Type 0 and it came out for PS4/Xbone/PC instead. Square Enix will Square Enix and they do not like the 3DS outside Japan. Right now if this makes it over it's mobile only.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the 3DS version of DQ11.

zashga

Well, I mean, if they localize it for phones, there's no reason not to use that same localization on 3DS, right? Might as well get that $40 from those of us who'll pay it.

They're still not going to localize it at all, are they?

sörine

Banned
if this gets localized and not the 3ds version, someone's going to die
The previous mobile ports bombed hard in the west, and those had ready translations. I feel like either all versions come over or none of them do. The mobile ports alone just can't justify localization cost going by sales of I-VI and VIII.

heringer

Import impressions:

Apparently it's a much better port than VIII.

http://toucharcade.com/2015/09/22/dragon-quest-7-warriors-of-eden-preview-import-impressions/

The port itself is superb. Based on the Nintendo 3DS remake rather than the PlayStation 1 original, the iOS version of the game was developed by the very same developer that created the 3DS version to begin with, Arte Piazza. The upshot of that is that the game runs just as smoothly as it did on the 3DS, its framerate a far cry from the tragic wheezings of the mobile port of Dragon Quest 8

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well... at least they're not just deep sixing the thing. It's not the release of DQVII I want, obviously, but uh... I dunno. Maybe this is a path for it to get translated eventually.

heringer

Well... at least they're not just deep sixing the thing. It's not the release of DQVII I want, obviously, but uh... I dunno. Maybe this is a path for it to get translated eventually.

I'm hoping another version of the game is incentive enough to translate the game. They would probably have to release the 3DS version digital only at a cheaper price, though.

Oregano

I'm hoping another version of the game is incentive enough to translate the game. They would probably have to release the 3DS version digital only at a cheaper price, though.

Lol if(big if) they release the 3DS version they will want at least $40 for it. Wouldn't even be surprised if they apply a SE tax.

Look at DQVIII 3DS as proof they don't give a shit if a cheaper mobile version exists.

heringer

Lol if(big if) they release the 3DS version they will want at least $40 for it. Wouldn't even be surprised if they apply a SE tax.

Look at DQVIII 3DS as proof they don't give a shit if a cheaper mobile version exists.

To be fair, DQVIII mobile is a shitty port and the 3DS version has a number of welcome updates, like voice work, enemies on the field, etc.

jb1234

I hope we get the mobile port (although the 3DS would be ideal). I'm very glad to hear that they retained the orchestrated soundtrack.

Top Bottom