• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII 3DS remake coming to iOS, Android

I was a bit surprised they didn't show this in the DQ anniversary announcements a month ago, but nice to see its alive and based on the 3DS version.

Though still not confident on a localization, sadly.

Neoweee

This was inevitable, and I'd much rather get this than the 3DS version. Nicer looking and at a cheaper price.

I hope this is get localized. Square could have just been mum because they were waiting for this version.

They've brought over all the others so surely they'll localize this one too?

And with that the 3DS version?

Right?

I would hope so. I'll they are going to spend the time to translate the text again, you would think they would want to release both versions.

Jeels

If they are going to bother translating this into English for ios and Android, they should consider throwing it on the 3ds eshop as well..

Arkeband

Banned
The old translation was extremely good for a PS1 RPG.

Not to mention it had the GOAT spell names before the translation team got "goofy" with them. You cast Sproink! You cast Wigglegiggle!

I mean they turned Bedragon into "Puff!". :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well, at least this will now come in English... still would rather on the 3DS in America, though. Graphics do look like they've taken a hit, and the perspective seems to be a bit vertically stretched...

AgeEighty

This is the last DQ game not to have yet been released on mobile, so I can't see them skipping it. And hopefully, with this release justifying the cost of a translation, it'll be an easier decision to release the 3DS version as well.

Ourobolus

Banned
WHAAAT??? Gimme in English, please!

EDIT: And of course, right after I finally start making progress in the PSX version...

Megatron

Dq8 on iOS is $19.99. I think we all know if dq7 or 8 comes to 3ds here it will be $40. So if square does translate this, it absolutely makes sense for them to not only release it on 3ds but to release it on 3ds FIRST. I mean, releasing a $20 mobile version at the same time is only going to canabalize sales of your more expensive version.

Would anyone here rather buy the iOS version for half price?

This just made me realize that SE hasn't re-released DQIX yet. Would have expected a mobile or 3DS version by now but maybe it's too soon.
Yeah, IX is probably next, considering Hoshi looks essentially like IX F2P version. I'd expect IX to be an online version then.

Raw64life

Nope. I'd rather just play the PS1 original than support this. DQ8 on mobile was an absolute clusterfuck.

DQ8 was them trying to cram a console game designed to be played on a TV onto a cell phone. This is a port of a game that was always designed to be portable and played on a small screen. I'd still prefer the 3DS version, but this isn't the same thing.

Neoweee

DQ8 was them trying to cram a console game designed to be played on a TV onto a cell phone. This is a port of a game that was always designed to be portable and played on a small screen. I'd still prefer the 3DS version, but this isn't the same thing.

They also used the JP version of that game, without voice acting or orchestrated music...

... and then two years later, released a JP-language version with voice acting, and orchestrated music.

8's mobile version was a rushed mess that seemed to be oblivious to the company's plans.

This version of 7 is the improved version, and they have substantially more experience programming for phones at this point.

Would anyone here rather buy the iOS version for half price?

Android for me, but yes. Not having to worry about physical supply, shipment, preorders, print-runs, etc. is a big deal for a publisher.

DQ8 was them trying to cram a console game designed to be played on a TV onto a cell phone. This is a port of a game that was always designed to be portable. I'd still prefer the 3DS version, but this isn't the same thing.

I admire your optimism. Square Enix's mobile work, especially for ports, has been almost unilaterally horrible, but I do hope this one works out.

TOSE did the port of DQVIII though. ArtePiazza is doing the port this time.

Quality of port is usually down to $$$. TOSE's done good work before. If Square Enix doesn't put enough resources into a port it's going to come out poorly no matter who's developing it.

What is with Japan's fixation with Portrait Mode?

Most people commute to work via train, most people who do so have to stand, most people who stand while commuting for an hour+ want to use their phone with their free hand. Portrait games just make more sense.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
After removing Final Fantasy 1 from App Store and Google Play and replacing the game with the "free" version that comes with their Portal App, I am not going to buy anything from SE.
Did they really do this? Wow.

inner-G

Banned
Nope. I'd rather just play the PS1 original than support this. DQ8 on mobile was an absolute clusterfuck.
This.

I regret buying any of the mobile DQs. The touchscreen interface gets old really fast. If they also release it on something with buttons, I'll buy it.

heringer

Quality of port is usually down to $$$. TOSE's done good work before. If Square Enix doesn't put enough resources into a port it's going to come out poorly no matter who's developing it.

Within the same budget the original developer will always do a better job regardless.

Psxphile

Well, it looks nice. And has a decent chance of coming over. Still think I'd prefer playing on a 3DS, though. Even if it was just an eShop-only digital release.

But I'll support whichever one comes over, regardless.
Please come over, I was *this* close to playing the PS1 version out of desperation.

Aeana

I was starting to wonder if they'd pull it off after all. Glad they did.

Well, damn.
I guess this confirms the inevitable DQXI mobile as well in the future. Perhaps I should get a new phone, or a tablet.

No, it doesn't. DQ1-8 were announced for mobile all at once before any of them started coming out.

Looks like the 3DS version with higher res/cleaned up textures. Not surprising.

The environmental textures are lower resolution.
EDIT: Actually, upon further inspection, I think they're the same, just with a different type of filtering.

Bitanator

I'd be pretty happy if this was localized. This remake's great and I don't think it would be significantly worse with touch controls.

I would not mind either, one way or another it is good for people to experience it, I'd prefer it on 3DS most definitely though.

Kattbuss

This is great! I recently finished VIII on IOS and it worked fine.
Really looking forward to this as long as it's released in English.

Top Bottom