• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI:Echoes of an Elusive Age |OT| This One Goes To XI

hecatomb

Banned
This game really feels like they got a lot of ideas from dragon quest 4, right down to the magic twin sisters. Even the main characters story is almost the same as the heroes story in dragon quest 4.

Last edited:

Shouta

This game really feels like they got a lot of ideas from dragon quest 4, right down to the magic twin sisters. Even the main characters story is almost the same as the heroes story in dragon quest 4.

It's basically a love-letter to the series so you'll see a lot of things that will remind you of other games.

hecatomb

Banned
Veronica maybe my least favorite dragon quest character out of pretty much any dragon quest game. She's just annoying. And I can't stand lolis, every other character is fine.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

IGN reviewer decided to insert his own politics in his review. Gamers are having none of it.

gCdKoSS.jpg

Tevious

Played for a few hours last night. Enjoyed it so far. I really love the enemy designs in Dragon Quest games. I've played several other Dragon Quests before, but I only ever finished DQ4 (DS). In past games, I just eventually get tired of the repetitiveness of it all and lack motivation to finish when I'm not hooked on the story. It's also difficult for me to complete long games as I get busy with other things and lose interest. I hope I can finish this one. I've already got Spider-Man per-ordered, but I'll hold off playing it if DQ11 keeps me interested.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
3 hours in to this and I'm loving this game and I did my first team pep attack with Erik and it looks flashy and really like it.

kkg1701

where's the PC performance thread ?!!

My GTX 1080 is around 70-90% utilization on 1440p and 1.2 scale everything on max at 60fps 99% of the time. Haven't done any benching on my media-computer with a 1060 3GB at 1080p or my laptop with a 1050Ti but both run smoothly at 30fps.

Last edited:

Hudo

Do you guys think that there's a chance of getting a release date for the Switch version at TGS?

Vawn

Banned
You can't pause the game at all? I like to have an accurate playtime on games, but it seems for this that requires only stopping when at save points and exiting the game - otherwise the timer keeps ticking, even if on the PS4 home screen.

sublimit

Banned
You can't pause the game at all? I like to have an accurate playtime on games, but it seems for this that requires only stopping when at save points and exiting the game - otherwise the timer keeps ticking, even if on the PS4 home screen.
Yeah that surprised me as well.

Vawn

Banned
Yeah that surprised me as well.

Hmmm. Would putting the entire PS4 in rest-mode fix this? I'll have to try this later when I'm home. Hopefully, the game isn't just simply reading the clock of the PS4 to judge playtime.

sublimit

Banned
What weapon skill are you guys upgrading the most on the main character? Personally i've been putting almost all my skill points so far to Greatswords. I hope it's worth it.

manfestival

This slightly bothers me too. Simply because I fall asleep too much during grinding sessions in games hahaha

nowhat

I won't be getting this immediately - I already ordered Spider-Man, and have still some side quests to clear in Kiwami 2 before that.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't have a JRPG itch that needs to be scratched every now and then, and this has got good reviews. How approachable it would be to someone who hasn't played any of the games in the series? Would I need to dedicate a few nights to reading wikis and watching lore videos, or could I just jump right in?

I won't be getting this immediately - I already ordered Spider-Man, and have still some side quests to clear in Kiwami 2 before that.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't have a JRPG itch that needs to be scratched every now and then, and this has got good reviews. How approachable it would be to someone who hasn't played any of the games in the series? Would I need to dedicate a few nights to reading wikis and watching lore videos, or could I just jump right in?
You can just jump right in.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Only about an hour or so into the game, but enjoying it so far. I've been trying out the pre-order bonuses, and it's nice to see that they aren't OP. The little healing trinket has been handy while doing a bit of grinding. It makes for a decent quality of life improvement while doing stuff like that instead of having to constantly go back to camp to heal.

Vawn

Banned
For anyone curious, putting the PS4 in sleepmode will allow you to keep the game running without running up the play timer.

Make sure you have your PS4 settings to allow games to stay suspended while in sleepmode.

bigedole

Is there a way to pause while playing that will keep the play timer from increasing? I've got 2 young kids so if I play while they're awake there's a lot of putting the controller down and walking away for 5-10 minutes. I usually don't care much about the playtimer but I'd like an accurate view of how long I've been active in the game if possible

hecatomb

Banned
i just saw that , stupid reviewer made a mistake about the voice acting
he's getting down votes cause he's complaining about optional quest in the game which you don't even have to do or get, and the puff puff was a joke. Yet again just shows how much hypocrites they are cause they always give GTA games good scores and other games that have 10 times worse sexual content in them. Ign also has complained before about dragon quest games not changing their old school combat, yet they never say anything about Pokemon games, and Pokemon has been using the same rpg combat since red and blue.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
When you're not very familiar with a series of a game you're reviewing and the time is pressing you to finish a huge amount of the game's content as fast as possible while also having to write a text with a minimum-maximum set of words then one of the "tricks" reviewers have been using ever since the '90s was to ape popular opinions they had heard from the majority of mainstream players. Of course the problem is that the majority is never too knowledgeable or too informed so it's very dangerous when you ape their opinions especially when you write in big media outlets because that way you help spreading those misconceptions and misinformations which can end up ruining a series for all the wrong reasons. As they say half-knowledge is worse than ignorance.

My point is that great series have died in the past (or changed to the point they are not recognizable anymore) thanks to that neverending cycle of aping ignorant but popular opinions between fans and reviewers. And as long as people continue to ape popular beliefs without a critical thinking of their own many more will die in the future.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
When you're not very familiar with a series of a game you're reviewing and the time is pressing you to finish a huge amount of the game's content as fast as possible while also having to write a text with a minimum-maximum set of words then one of the "tricks" reviewers have been using ever since the '90s was to ape popular opinions they had heard from the majority of mainstream players. Of course the problem is that the majority is never too knowledgeable or too informed so it's very dangerous when you ape their opinions especially when you write in big media outlets because that way you help spreading those misconceptions and misinformations which can end up ruining a series for all the wrong reasons. As they say half-knowledge is worse than ignorance.

My point is that great series have died in the past (or changed to the point they are not recognizable anymore) thanks to that neverending cycle of aping ignorant but popular opinions between fans and reviewers. And as long as people continue to ape popular beliefs without a critical thinking of their own many more will die in the future.
even if you are not familiar with a game, theres really no reason to complain about side quest, and optional gear that you don't even have to get. Also theres way worse things that are sexual in GTA games and other games, so complaining about it in other game just makes you sound like a hypocrite, he shouldn't have even brought it up. You also don't need to keep reminding people about old rpg combat if you are going to give a game like Pokemon(which also has the same old rpg combat) a 9 out of 10 every time.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What weapon skill are you guys upgrading the most on the main character? Personally i've been putting almost all my skill points so far to Greatswords. I hope it's worth it.
I'm actually doing the same. I trying specialize my MC for phisical damage like I did with Olberic in Octopath.

Last edited:

Shouta

For folks that are wondering, there is a respec option later on in the game, so go with what you want and you'll be able to change it to more specific builds later.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I don't know how strange this may sound to some but personally the first time i'm playing an RPG i don't like to respec (if there's an option). I like to stick with my choices and "work" with what i have.

Virex

Banned
Got my copy today. Absolutely loving the game! Can’t believe I’m actually playing Dragon Quest on a console again and not on a handheld. Been a long time since DQ8 on PS2

Ragnaroz

Oh snap, I had no idea this was out already. How's the Steam version?
Pretty good, actually. I can play it on max graphics with my i5 6600 and RX470 and the framerate is steady 60 everywhere except for a few drops in the towns when there's stuff loading in. No crashes in 6 hours either, all in all, pretty pleased with the port.

Pejo

Pretty good, actually. I can play it on max graphics with my i5 6600 and RX470 and the framerate is steady 60 everywhere except for a few drops in the towns when there's stuff loading in. No crashes in 6 hours either, all in all, pretty pleased with the port.
Nice, thanks for the impressions, I'll snag this when I get home. Did you get it on Steam or through GMG for a discount?

Ragnaroz

I got it through GMG while it was 25% off. Pretty much knew that I'm not gonna need a refund so I went for the cheapest option.

Vawn

Banned
Is there a way to pause while playing that will keep the play timer from increasing? I've got 2 young kids so if I play while they're awake there's a lot of putting the controller down and walking away for 5-10 minutes. I usually don't care much about the playtimer but I'd like an accurate view of how long I've been active in the game if possible

Perhaps read my post directly above yours.

TLZ

Banned
Got my copy today. Absolutely loving the game! Can’t believe I’m actually playing Dragon Quest on a console again and not on a handheld. Been a long time since DQ8 on PS2
The last DQ game I played was on DS, so I know I'm going to be so very pleasantly surprised :D

bigedole

Perhaps read my post directly above yours.

I mean, I don't want to suspend the game and put my ps4 in rest mode just because I step away for a few minutes... I assumed there had to be some real way to pause, kind of surprised there isn't. Not a big deal though, just means my play timer will be inflated

Catphish

Just want to jump in and say I'm really enjoying this game. I'm not sold on the story yet, but we'll see how it fares. Also, I have the music turned way the fuck down.

But I love the combat, and the visuals are quite lovely. All in all, I'm happy with the purchase thus far.

Top Bottom