• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI screenshots and information

Aeana

But then how would they let you move around the battlefield and control all of the team?
Unless you take the BS of DQVIII and when you have to select the action for one party member you can also move it. Maybe they'll also introduce distance-based dynamics like aggro and ranged attacks?

There are plenty of party-based RPGs that allow free movement, and they all tackle it somewhat differently. They could go the route like FF12 or real-time-with-pause computer RPGs, where you can switch between your characters whenever you like but they use AI when you're not commanding them. Or they could just pop up a menu whenever it's a particular character's turn and relegate have everyone stand still unless commanded to move. Could be a totally different system.

I'm not sure what to think myself. The game obviously won't look like the PS4 version. That much is certain. But will they really just take the 3DS version and slap it on Switch with a few improvements here and there? That wouldn't fly very well with most people.

I'm thinking it'll be a downgraded version of the PS4 game.

edit: There's also the chance that it's being developed for PS4 and Switch simultaneously with the lowest common denominator in mind.

No chance. Switch version will be a notable downgrade.

TreIII

Interested in both versions, but I still love the 3DS version better. The 2D and 3D modes just interest me so much, and both versions translate Toriyama's style so well.

Zetta

C0ln0lVUsAAxwsw.jpg:large

Switch version looks great!

himZD0M.gif

I'm loving the PS4 version so much, can't wait. I will be double dipping though so come at me SE and bring this out as soon as you can in the west.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why does Dragon Quest gets it so right whilst Final Fantasy does seem like a mess nowadays? Dragon Quest might be the only JRPG that remained true to its roots all that time...

I'd rather FF try different things to innovate and fail than get stale boring safe games every time.

DQ is lucky it takes a while for each game to be approved and developed, or else it would have suffered stagnation a long time ago like Tales.

At the same time, i'm glad it keeps to its roots. Regardless of what i prefer, franchises are good diversifying their approaches. Not every franchise has to do the same things.

We didn't know any of the characters existed until the event where the movie was shown. Also, the Jump article had a spotlight on one of the female characters, Emma.

But you shouldn't expect the same kinds of character interactions as other RPGs, anyway. Each will have their own introductory arc and then they'll mostly get out of the way, because that's the way Horii tells his stories.

:/ I guess

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather FF try different things to innovate and fail than get stale boring safe games every time.

DQ is lucky it takes a while for each game to be approved and developed, or else it would have suffered stagnation a long time ago like Tales.

At the same time, i'm glad it keeps to its roots. Regardless of what i prefer, franchises are good diversifying their approaches. Not every franchise has to do the same things.

:/ I guess

That isn't why Tales has declined as a series, but okay.

Also Final Fantasy continuously trying new things to capture a lost audience, never getting it right, and ultimately driving people away from the brand as a result of poor gameplay and story plots is not a good example of "not stagnating".

Inuhanyou

Tales has declined because Baba has generally coasted every year on the back of concepts wearing thinner, is annualized to hell in a market where that now is more prone to fatigue, and is prone to fuck ups.

Just like DQ would be if placed under the same circumstances.

You can argue Tales has done more controversial things to mess with the established formula to its own detriment, but in general, even if every game had been the exact same as Vesperia for the past 10 years, it would still be a problem

Inuhanyou

Also Final Fantasy continuously trying new things to capture a lost audience, never getting it right, and ultimately driving people away from the brand as a result of poor gameplay and story plots is not a good example of "not stagnating".

I happen to like that FFX is different than FF12 which is different than FF14 2.0 and so on.

The fact that there had not been a 'traditional' single player game outside of a trilogy nobody wanted to see continued until FF15, roughly 6 years after FF13 came out in large part is what contributed to FF's brand decline, not FF trying different things.

Tales has declined because Baba has generally coasted every year on the back of concepts wearing thinner, is annualized to hell in a market where that now is more prone to fatigue, and is prone to fuck ups.

You can argue Tales has done more controversial things to mess with the established formula to its own detriment, but in general, even if every game had been the exact same as Vesperia for the past 8 years, it would still be a problem

I think I'll pick them up on both PS4 & Switch (for on the go). Looking great already!

3DS version is impressive - they really are pushing every system the game is out on, very nice. Wish more publisher could (afford to) do that.

I agree, Square-Enix will push graphics to the extreme on any platform, given the hardware could handle it.

Sadly, not many Japanese 3rd party publishers are Square or even Namco-Bandai in terms of finances in which they can do so.

This game is turn based? :/

You want Action-Based gameplay of RPG's? There's plenty of them out there for PS4.

Let us old-school fans of JRPG's have some games featuring Turn-Based gameplay on this console for a change!

Dingens

Am I nuts for finding the look of the 3DS version to be much more appealing?

not really... at least it looks consistent stylistically. The ps4/switch version on the other hand... 50% dq-fan art, 50% generic engine tech demo
I wish it would look more like the pre-rendered videos from DQX

not really... at least it looks consistent stylistically. The ps4/switch version on the other hand... 50% dq-fan art, 50% generic engine tech demo
I wish it would look more like the pre-rendered videos from DQX

I see people bringing this up and i just dont see it, the ps4 version looks great to me. Nothing looks out of place.

The old school version looks good too.

Inuhanyou

I see people bringing this up and i just dont see it, the ps4 version looks great to me. Nothing looks out of place.

The old school version looks good too.

Same. Visuals look pretty smooth. Not the best thing ever but comparable to DQ Heroes in terms of character models and the environments look nice and colorful

~Cross~

I happen to like that FFX is different than FF12 which is different than FF14 2.0 and so on.

The fact that there had not been a 'traditional' single player game outside of a trilogy nobody wanted to see continued until FF15, roughly 6 years after FF13 came out in large part is what contributed to FF's brand decline, not FF trying different things.

You can argue Tales has done more controversial things to mess with the established formula to its own detriment, but in general, even if every game had been the exact same as Vesperia for the past 8 years, it would still be a problem

Tales declined because the Xilia titles were a fluke and their sales are normalizing back to what you'd expect of titles of that quality. The quality itself of titles hasn't changed much between iterations and the core fan keep on buying the titles regardless.

Pachinko

PS4 version looks great, finally an honest sequel to DQ8 after 12 years +

I'll be amazed if the switch version of this game isn't based on the PS4 edition. Sure , the console isn't exactly a beast in the specs department but it'll be able to run XB1/PS4 level titles with some minor cutbacks (for example , running at 1280X720 in docked mode and 540p in handheld mode). The gulf isn't as wide as most realize, it's lacking as much power compared to an xbox one as the XB1 is compared to the PS4 (non-pro). I mean it's also got less memory but that's why the cut down to 720p will go a long way. Alternatively - you could use a dynamic resolution on the switch version that's capped at 720p on the handheld and capped at 1080p in docked mode. Obviously some of the games details will be toned down as well. If the PS4 version is running in HIGH and the ps4pro is VERY HIGH then the switch version will be closer to MEDIUM. Worse anti-aliasing , lower quality filtering , etc etc.

I just can't see square spending what looks like a fair amount of money on what will probably be the worst selling version domestically and not trying to put it out on other platforms.

I feel the real question is still , when and how this game makes it out in english.

Shouta

I didn't read the manga, but eww. What Nightengale posted is undoubtedly the best.

I am biased though, because I loved the anime when I was a kid :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC_oOv9pxZQ

I love Dai no Daibouken, I have the entire manga in Japanese on my shelf, but Emblem of Loto is definitely the best DQ manga and is considered unofficial canon by fans, lol.

PS4 version of DQXI looks great. The only thing that could be better is that the color palette could be a bit more saturated to be more in line with previous DQ games.

FF XII is the first FF game in which Square have started to fuck up the series the moment that they decided to move away from the traditional ATB &/or Turn-Based gameplay, the gameplay in which most people like myself loved & cared about.

FF XII is the first FF game in which Square have started to fuck up the series the moment that they decided to move away from the traditional ATB &/or Turn-Based gameplay, the gameplay in which most people like myself loved & cared about.

12 is atb though, the biggest difference is that the characters move around.

You have a meter, when the meter fills up you select your attack from the menu, its the exact same concept as FF6.

But back to the topic, i can see what shouta is saying about the colors, i think it looks great though.

12 is atb though, the biggest difference is that the characters move around.

You have a meter, when the meter fills up you select your attack from the menu, its the exact same concept as FF6.

But back to the topic, i can see what shouta is saying about the colors, i think it looks great though.

It's the opposite though. You select an action then the meter fills up. Still ATB anyway.

Inuhanyou

Are you sure you are the majority?

ethomaz

Banned
I'm in this side too and I believe a lot of others FFs shares the same... said that I found FFXII combat serviceable and better than sequels... it could be better with ATB or some turn-based.

I'm glad DQ still is turn-base... I'm sure it will sell more than FFXV in Japan by a big margin.

Turn-Based has always been more popular within JRPG's since the beginning of it's time. The only exceptions were RPG's like the Zelda series (in which most of us loved as well).

It's just now recently that Action-Based RPG's became popular for some reason.

ethomaz

Banned
Turn-Based has always been more popular within JRPG's since the beginning of it's time. The only exceptions were RPG's like the Zelda series (in which most of us loved as well).

It's just now recently that Action-Based RPG's became popular for some reason.
I think Action-Based RPG got more popular outside Japan... in Japan turn based is more popular yet.

FF switch is to cater a bigger western audience but it is not working like intented... well lets see how FFXV sales ends overall.

Dai no Daiboken and Emblem of Roto are proof that the whole silent protagonist thing in the DQ games is getting old. Talking protagonists with a personality make for a much better experience.

Kanann

FFXII was copying combat from FFXI and add some offline yadda yadda on it.

DQXI ps4 will do the same but how good is one million question here, but I trust Orca, they done great on DQX.

ps. I hate both Dai and Emblem saga, too few female party member.

DoT2

Can't wait for this game, will be getting it on PS4 the artsyle is really really nice. Been playing dragonquest on the 3ds and I'm loving it, can't wait for this!

Dai no Daiboken and Emblem of Roto are proof that the whole silent protagonist thing in the DQ games is getting old. Talking protagonists with a personality make for a much better experience.

You don't exactly have to have voice acting for a JRPG game (or any game in general) in order for them to be good.

Toth

The amount of work they are putting into this with 3 distinct (and beautiful) styles has me wondering what the budget for this title is going to be!

It's going to sell like crazy in Japan but mediocre everywhere else though ; ;

I think it works for the games and their stories because they're interactive.

I don't really think you can use manga adaptions as "proof" otherwise because they're an entirely different medium

Hilarion

Dragon Quest XI's 3DS version (lower screen) is pretty much my dream game. Turn-based, top-down, sprite artwork rather than CGI...everything I want out of a game with little of the nonsense like 3D character models and real-time combat that I can't stand.

Pyrokai

I cannot wait. But I legit don't know which version to play between the 3 (if we include the 2D/3D on 3DS to be two versions), and that's before I even consider the Switch.

Top Bottom