• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragonball Z Abridged has been cancelled. No Buu saga.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just announced on their Patreon.

Glad they knew to stop at Cell and call it a day. Unlike a certain other writer.

Buu saga has some of the most iconic moments of the entire story. But it never flows cohesively and goes on for far too long. Much of what happens serves no overarching purpose to the plot. Characters whose arcs have been explored like Gohan's coming of age or Majin Vegeta finding his heart for his family get trotted out again so Buu can beat their dead horse. SSJ3 and fusion are nothingburgers that accomplish little (or in the case of Gotenks actively harm the good guys).
Its not GT bad. But it ain't good. There's already a Kai Final Chapters abridged version anyway.

Azurro

Banned
That's disappointing, and it's a shame since I don't care at all about any of the other stuff they do. Their saiyan "let's plays", their shorts, their FF7 abridged thing, it's all terrible stuff.

What I think happened is that Toei learned about how Funimation was subletting the Dragon Ball franchise to TFS through all the shit around the Vic Mignogna controversy. Toei and Toriyama would nip that in the bud.

It was always unfunny garbage. Next thing I know you're gonna tell me that Clannaids YTP was funny.

DBZA got better during the Saiyan Saga. TBH, the DBZA Cell Saga is stronger to me than the original, and I was all up in that as a kid.

I'm not a fan of their other stuff aside from Hellsing Abridged, so I'll probably unsubscribe. KaiserNeko is kind of a puss too, but I was willing to overlook that because their Abridged work interested me. Sounds like that is done, so time to say goodbye.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That's too bad, DBZ Abridged is pretty much the only content from them I cared about. They did great work with the material they had.

In my head, for English voices, I only hear the DBZA voices.

Codes 208

Its like, i get why. But...why? I love DBZA.
Never understood this, was always terrible to me. Guess they got bored.
not entirely, some of it was the fatigue of spending months working on each new episode, which they pretty much gave up on when abridging the bojack movie but a lot of it also surround the frequent bullshit copyright strikes and tensions with TOEI animation. As well as the general growing pains of becoming a larger company venturing into other projects (including their own authentic dubs).

I'm not sure DBZ was ever a particularly good show. It was extremely epic and had some great visual design, but i think most of the enthusiasm i felt for it was born from trying to draw the badass characters and chatting with my buddies about it. I'm not sure the same appeal stands 20 years later. Also i think the entertainment landscape has changed since then, and there might be sufficient alternative sources of this kind of stuff for people to quickly move away from the episodes of they get yoo formulaic (which, will, they do)

Enjay

Banned
Good not only was it terrible but towards the end they got up their own ass and were just making a bad dub period as opposed to a bad parody.

royox

People actually watched this unfunny cringey ass shit still?

Helped me in my darkests times giving me something to laught and something to wait for in Youtube.

It's a big loss, after the AMAZING Freezer and Cell saga most of their script became more canon in my head than the original series lol.

AND ALSO, It helped me to learn a LOT of english. There are some stuff I learned from them and I still can use when I talk in english with my gf or coworkers.

Last edited:

Ixion

Good not only was it terrible but towards the end they got up their own ass and were just making a bad dub period as opposed to a bad parody.

Yeah, I did enjoy the series for a while, but I got turned off when they tried to take it too seriously. And the humor got worse over time.

So a good decision to end the series, especially since they have to deal with all the copyright shit.

Paltheos

Damn, I'm gonna miss it. ... Probably for the best though. The cracks in the material were pretty clear. I still enjoyed it but not as much as at its peak.

Turning point for me might... have been around the point they started editing facial animations. Part of the appeal of abridged series is reimagining classic scenes in new context - Little edits like matching lip flaps to your script are fine because people aren't likely to notice that shit but outright changing facial animations to match your interpretation of the characters is jarring and really only works if you're very careful about it or have a really acer of a joke. I think it worked for me only once- When Cell was announcing the Cell Games and the camera kept cutting back to Krillin's pathetic and desperate reactions line by line.

Context:
CELL: Today, I'm making an announcement!
KRILLIN: Please be leaving the planet forever. Please be leaving the planet forever. Please be leaving the planet forever!
CELL: I am leaving the planet forever.
KRILLIN: WOO-HOO!
CELL: After I blow it up!
KRILLIN: OH, NO!
CELL: Unless!
KRILLIN: (wheezes)

Even still, the "Woo-hoo" looked off to me but all the other changes were great. Might have been the expressions - Too dissimilar to the original style. Same reason why I hate all the Goku face edits they made.

Sub_Level

I'm not sure DBZ was ever a particularly good show. It was extremely epic and had some great visual design, but i think most of the enthusiasm i felt for it was born from trying to draw the badass characters and chatting with my buddies about it. I'm not sure the same appeal stands 20 years later. Also i think the entertainment landscape has changed since then, and there might be sufficient alternative sources of this kind of stuff for people to quickly move away from the episodes of they get yoo formulaic (which, will, they do)

Entitled to your opinion but naw I'd say its still great.

Scenes like this shit on most other shounen from a great height.

Sub_Level

dargon barl zed

AmSjQRm.jpg

Buu Saga has some of my favorite moments in DBZ, like the WMA tournament in the beginning, Majin Vegeta's sacrifice, SS3, Vegito, Super Buu, exploring the Kais more, etc. Was it the best? No. And I don't think Goku dying would have been the best ending for Dragon Ball.

OP is right that the Buu saga isn't the greatest.

Maybe, but it has its place.

Last edited:

Fret Runner

I Ilike the Buu saga for how much it pissed off and cucked Gohan fans.
How many times did he fuck up? 4? plus got made to sit still for what felt like half the fucking saga.
All that wait for him to have like 2 episodes of being "badass" before he gets absorbed and instantly overshadowed by Vegito:messenger_grinning_smiling:

I'm sure they will find another popular thing to leech off and carry on getting by.
Their stuff fast became the same as AVGN, all their best stuff is behind them an are now just something I'd watch if there was fuck all else to kill some time to.

Fbh

Disappointing but it's probably for the best, I really liked this but it peaked during the Freezer saga (pretty much like DBZ itself). The cell saga wasn't as funny and I agree that towards the end it was more of a bad dub as opposed to a parody.

Didn't know so many people hated it. IMO it was pretty funny and it's way more watchable than regular (non Kai) DBZ

Last edited:

Codes 208

Disappointing but it's probably for the best, I really liked this but it peaked during the Freezer saga (pretty much like DBZ itself). The cell saga wasn't as funny and I agree that towards the end it was more of a bad dub as opposed to a parody.

Didn't know so many people hated it. IMO it was pretty funny and it's way more watchable than regular (non Kai) DBZ
Cant say i agree, Takahata’s Cell is absolute perfection (pun partially intended)

plus episode 60 is arguably some of their best work, the amount of attention to detail for both fans of dbza and og dbz, and that remix of gohan’s ssj2 theme was just god tier.

Codes 208

Well, atleast theyre still going to make the SHORTZ (just general slice of life episodes) so its not a complete wash.
Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged was the OG anyway.
Parodies and fandubs have looong existed before either of these. Hell, i believe alternate reality of dbz was already on episode 40 was out before tfs came on the scene. Sonic bastardized i believe also came before either of those two (too bad the creator turned out to be a pedo and ended up canceling sonic x bastardized right after the pilot due to those allegations.)

but Yugioh TAS definitely helped popularize the genre. I mean i remember it being a big deal when tfs convinced Little kuriboh to voice the narrator and freeza.

and then he was assimilated towards the beginning of season 3.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Meh, the writing was on the wall. The more recent episodes have been getting weaker and weaker. What used to be a show that gave me belly laughs with almost no shitty jokes now just gives me mostly groans. More and more political trash was pushed forward and KaiserNeko became such a whiny cunt. If he was before, I was unaware, but the past few years he has just gotten unbearable.

I will wish* them the best, but I am not particularly interested to see what they release next.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Sad to see the series go, but they make good points - if they think they're burned out and that future episodes probably won't be any good, then putting the show out to pasture is for the best.

Why is the brightness level on that video so low?
To set the mood i guess. They looked (and sounded) pretty miserable about it.

stickkidsam

Bummer. It's cool to have the explanation though.

I hoped they'd be able to salvage the Buu arc and make it something great too. At least the series ended on a stellar note. Ma;ybe it's time for a rewatch....

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
To set the mood i guess. They looked (and sounded) pretty miserable about it.
Perhaps, but it seemed abnormally dark even for that.
I hoped they'd be able to salvage the Buu arc and make it something great too.
That's one of the things I liked about the series in general. They were able to take crappy portions of the original content and transform it into something better through satire, parody, and humor.

Ban Puncher

I wonder how viable it would be to license/outright buy the rights to old, unpopular or forgotten anime and go full Ghost Stories dub then whack it on streaming services? Because I would be much more interested in that coming out of TFS than regular vanilla English anime dubs or live action skits.

Anyhoo, thanks for the parody, Team Four Star. After a decade anybody would get sick of mouldy-old litigious Toei Animation constantly being up their arse 24/7. I'll keep my channel subscription and see what kind of output happens in the future.

Paltheos

Meh, the writing was on the wall. The more recent episodes have been getting weaker and weaker. What used to be a show that gave me belly laughs with almost no shitty jokes now just gives me mostly groans. More and more political trash was pushed forward and KaiserNeko became such a whiny cunt. If he was before, I was unaware, but the past few years he has just gotten unbearable.

I will wish* them the best, but I am not particularly interested to see what they release next.

What political trash? I don't remember anything like that. Definitely more jokes that fell flat but political? Examples?

ExpandKong

Banned
Aww. I liked it. Definitely kinda goofy/cringey at times but had some good laughs. Cell Saga ending was pretty dope.

FF7MA is....okay. I'll watch to the end of that because I've watched it this far but eh.

Codes 208

Some of my favorite bits are about the weird dubisms/mistranslations from funi and ocean dub.

yamcha: hey king kai, when will you teach us the kayo-ken?
King kai: ...what?
Yamcha: the kayo-ken king kai.
King kaio: ...kai...o-ken.
Yamcha: what?
King kai: KAIO-KEN! ITS IN MY FRICKIN NAME! AS IN KING KAI, AS IN KAIO-SAMA. Thas it! Im not teaching any of you the kaio-ken or the Genki Dama!

trunks: so, you must be Fry-za
Freeza: actually, It’s Lord ‘Freeza’.
Trunks: oh. Than why is there an ‘I’ in your name?
Freeza: there isn’t
Trunks: oh, guess I’ll have to fix that when I get back.

and another one from cell saga:

cell: and another thing, the computer told me i need to absorb my brother and sister, Cyborgs 17 and 18.
Piccolo: we call them androids.
Cell: well good for you, you’re wrong

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What political trash? I don't remember anything like that. Definitely more jokes that fell flat but political? Examples?

The earliest one I can remember was Yajirobe/Korin. While it was an off handed joke initially, the two kept getting increasingly more and more screen time and even a massive part later on in the series. It wasn't funny, just heavy handed and cringe worthy. Couple this with increased references to the typical SJW-repitoire of gender, sex, societal definitions of beauty, etc.

While not the most prominent, they did increase near the end (also correlating to the ever growing BS of KaiserNeko and the political climate shift) and added far more groans than any laughs.

Top Bottom