• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma combat > Soulsborne combat

I recommend skipping Dark Souls 1 and move straight to Dark Souls 3.it not only has better graphics/art, but superior controls as well. The plot is irrelevant
I've heard this a lot actually. Sounds like good advice, and since you have experience maybe I should take it. BUT I'm a stubborn SOB and gonna try DS1 one more time anyway. Which is all to say, once I do get to DS3 it should be that much more awesome, right?

By the way what's wrong with DS2? Sounds like it's the Devil May Cry 2 of the Dark Souls series 😂

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I've heard this a lot actually. Sounds like good advice, and since you have experience maybe I should take it. BUT I'm a stubborn SOB and gonna try DS1 one more time anyway. Which is all to say, once I do get to DS3 it should be that much more awesome, right?

By the way what's wrong with DS2? Sounds like it's the Devil May Cry 2 of the Dark Souls series 😂
Good game but it was not made by the same director so is kinda meh ... it still worth playing but it is the worst of all of them...

If you like pure action SEKIRO is the gsme for you... is the most action oriented and different from the core souls... buuuut .. it is also the harder one kkkk .. so good luck with that

Bloodborne is still the king.. but i would just wait for the inevitable remaster

Bloodborne > Sekiro > Demons Souls > Dark Souls 3/dark souls 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dark souls 2

Last edited:
Good game but it was not made by the same director so is kinda meh ... it still worth playing but is the worst of all of them...

If you like pure action SEKIRO is the gsme for you... is the most action oriented and different from the core souls... buuuut .. it is also the harder one kkkk .. so good luck with that

Bloodborne is still the king.. but i would just eait for the inevitable remaster

Bloodborne > Sekiro > Demons Souls > Dark Souls 3/dark souls 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dark souls 2
I love difficult games. Even in games that don't have certain difficulty modes, I create my own challenges.

I come from a background in fighting games where for some games I used to play at near-competitive levels. (I never competed in anything official, though). I then branched out to other genres after college and have mostly dropped fighting games.

Anyway, I legit want to try these FROM games. I have no access to anything Sony exclusive (Demon's Souls, Bloodborne) so just playing the stuff that's available on PC.

Dark Souls 3 is hollow. Dark Souls 1 and 2 have personality and PC versions have mods to make the gameplay and quality of life changes to elevate them above 3 mechanically. Even Elden Ring will give you more entertainment value than that dull game. You might like Sekiro if you are a weeb.

P.S. In defense of Scholar of the First Sin (Dark Souls II+), it is swamp free, has unique RPG elements, great item placement, least linear map progression, sensible upgrade system, and replay options (NG+ area reset with bonfire ascetic item in base game or higher difficulty and stronger bosses with Champions Covenant) that other FromSoftware games lack. On the downside, bleed builds are worthless (though poison builds are amazing) and high adaptability stat is necessary to have enough invincibility frames to roll past attacks and use items at a decent speed (outside of mods).

Last edited:

Belthazar

When it works as intended it is, yes... but it happens so rarely that I'm more inclined to vouch for souls combat here, as it's more consistent in delivering what it's supposed to deliver.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Sometimes we need perspectives like these to remind us that it isn't always so intuitive from day 1. Even those of us that went into DS1 from Demon's Souls learned most of what we needed to in that particular trial by fire in 2009/10, so coming in fresh comes with a big learning curve. Souls isn't like anything else, for better or worse. It's why it influenced so much.

- Equip weight always favours light rolling (<25%) (DS2 onwards buffed medium rolls to make it a very wide ranged of "normal"). You aren't told this, so if you start with a class that weighs you down then you're crippled because you don't know any better. Every time I start a new character in 1 I strip off without thinking because I'm so used to it, but even ER will start you off fat rolling despite how crippling it is to the gameplay. Souls gameplay is stamina, attack commitment, and dodges. You can't cripple one and expect people to have a balanced time, because shields aren't always the best way to go. Maybe at first, but that fades.

- The parry mechanic takes some learning, and I didn't touch it in my first playthrough. DS1 has the easiest parrying looking back, but that doesn't mean it's intuitive by default.

- I don't know how it would be improved, but we all know deep down that the item/spell selection is wank. Eventually they later added a long press to go back to the first slot and ER added the 4 way quick items, but items/spells are still a slow, linear cycle.

But to speak in the series' defence as a long time fan, once it clicks then it all begins to make sense.
You get to appreciate how to approach combat and what they're doing (including the speed and the stamina), and those rules see you through the entire game.
Then you get to appreciate DS1's world design, which thanks to the interconnected nature of the map is the best in the series.
Then you get to appreciate the lore (if you want to). I find the Souls games are better once you know how to play them, for example the fat roll thing.

DS1 is by and large the fairest game of the series, and although it's 11 years old and looks like it, and is flawed in the end-game, I would still recommend it. Later games improve aspects as you would expect (UI, aforementioned medium rolling, etc) but they also added Bloodborne's speed but without the things that make Bloodborne what it is.

On a personal note IC, PM me if you decide you want to try DS1 again and I'll happily pass on any relevant wisdom.

On the wider topic of DD, it does remind me how much I miss the tail cutting mechanic from DS1. It added something to bosses that was lost in future games, and that's a real shame. It was never as influential on bosses as it is in DD, but it added both a reward and a dynamic element that is no longer there.

Very much looking forward to DD2, I hope they get it right. I wager we will see a lot of people making threads with the same opinion as OP when the time comes, and it's entirely fair.

These are all excellent points, however I would put across to you that the combat in Dragons Dogma is better due to the reasons given in the original post, I couldent really add anything to that as .Pennywise .Pennywise put across all his points perfectly.

Last edited:
Dark Souls 3 has the most cheap and annoying boss battles in the whole FromSoftware library. Though I must admit Sekiro is a strong contender.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
big part of the magic of a souls game is the mystery and exploration/discovery.

if you're using a guide... why are you playing? to sight-see?
Oh Im sorry I thought that even reading the secrets locations and weapons guide I would still have to fight the dificult enemys and even more dificult bosses also since the guide wont do that for me, collecting materials, upgrading weapons and armor, leveling up ... but my bad, the game is all about finding secrets and exploring nothing more .. stupid me

And dont even get me started on those people that keep playing PVP all day missing the chance to discover more secrets.. bunch of loooosersss

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I swear to god, what is it about Dragon's Dogma people like so much? I have no plans to play it in the future, it's even in my steam library i just couldn't give a fuck. I've got so many other games on my table right now, even another capcom hack and slash being DMC5. Ever since Elden Ring brought souls into the mainstream, people've been making threads about how they love DD's combat, like it's some sort of timeless masterpiece
EDIT: Not exactly hating on the game here either, i have no strong feelings one way or the other. People have just been talking it up recently over these past few weeks

Last edited:
I swear to god, what is it about Dragon's Dogma people like so much? I have no plans to play it in the future, it's even in my steam library i just couldn't give a fuck. I've got so many other games on my table right now, even another capcom hack and slash being DMC5. Ever since Elden Ring brought souls into the mainstream, people've been making threads about how they love DD's combat, like it's some sort of timeless masterpiece

Honestly I didn’t understand it at first. When it was first revealed, it looked like it was trying to ride on the Souls train. Super dark world, complex mechanics, medeival fantasy setting. I first tried it out thanks to Playstation Plus as a free game back during the PS3 days and yea - it kinda was just that… but there was something more to it.

The world felt like a classic adventure with a highly, highly diverse and customizable battle system. It had its challenge, esoteric elements, and outdated design - yes. It wasn’t the most stunning looking game. Yes. It didn’t have hte most memorable OST. But just *playing* felt so much fun and engaging. Running around these large zones, doing quests, learning the ins and outs of the systems. Fighting the big monsters, Clambering on them, stabbing out cyclops and ogre eyes, flying around on a dragon as you slowly chop away at its belly holding on for dear life. The game is more than teh sum of its parts and it is something that really needs to be experienced to be believed.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Honestly I didn’t understand it at first. When it was first revealed, it looked like it was trying to ride on the Souls train. Super dark world, complex mechanics, medeival fantasy setting. I first tried it out thanks to Playstation Plus as a free game back during the PS3 days and yea - it kinda was just that… but there was something more to it.

The world felt like a classic adventure with a highly, highly diverse and customizable battle system. It had its challenge, esoteric elements, and outdated design - yes. It wasn’t the most stunning looking game. Yes. It didn’t have hte most memorable OST. But just *playing* felt so much fun and engaging. Running around these large zones, doing quests, learning the ins and outs of the systems. Fighting the big monsters, Clambering on them, stabbing out cyclops and ogre eyes, flying around on a dragon as you slowly chop away at its belly holding on for dear life. The game is more than teh sum of its parts and it is something that really needs to be experienced to be believed.
I guess I waited to long to try this game, when I finally did, it just felt dated as fuck ... and I just gave up after the first hours ... maybe Ill try the second game if it ever releases or the remake in a few years

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
In this sea of mediocrity that every developer under the sun simply wants to create yet another Souls clone
it's literally only FromSoftware doing that... because that's what they're known for. And people end up liking it. just because it's popular doesn't mean everyone's copying it

Kingdom Come Deliverance, Monster Hunter (just all of the games) and Witcher 3 I wouldn't say are "souls clones" and they do their own thing, yet they're still pretty loved Action RPGs
And we've got FF16 coming out soon which employs more of a hack and slash combat system

Only comparison i can truly come up with was God of War 2018, but the last time I compared Dark Souls to God of War 2018, everyone on the forum ridiculed me, so it's safe to say even that comparison isn't the most accurate

Labolas

Yeah, personally I enjoy Dragon's Dogma more than Soulbourne combat but I still appreciate the Soul series. Plus, I hear a lot of people say Nioh has the better combat system out of all the Soul series.

Soodanim

Gold Member
People have already touched on it, but for me the problems are two key categories.

The first is the most basic thing, and that's the analog sticks. For some strange reason they gave the left stick a really weird deadzone, and instead of it being analogue as you would expect it's more like an 8-way gate from a d-pad. The right stick has a problem where instead of being a linearly increasing speed on the camera movement (like every other modern game in existence) it has a very weird 2 stage thing that jumps from slow speed to high speed. Given that these are the fundamentals of a 3D game, I can't get over them. PC has mods to try and fix them, but they never seem to work for me on my Scholar of the First Sin edition.

The second is that it's anti-Dark Souls in its design. Dodging is a key and consistent element of the series, so being an anti-DS game it tied dodge iFrames to a stat to nerf it. People liked to back stab after rolling through attacks, so they made every enemy have insane tracking and put a stop to that. People like to farm to level up if they're struggling, so enemies stop spawning if you kill them more than [maybe 10] times. Other things that were done well in the first game like sound effects and animations are changed so that running looks odd and hits don't feel satisfying.

But despite the fact that I dislike it, I wish I did. There's some really good ideas that were unfortunately left to die.

Power stance, where you hold two weapons of the same type and have access to a different move set that makes use of both weapons. It was sort of revived in Elden Ring, but in a form that just puts a new light combo on L1. DS2 had whole new movesets from what I remember.

Bonfire ascetics allowed you to NG+ an area with an item. Great for challenge, but this is mainly good because of something else they did...

Area changes in NG+. Chests change their contents, enemies change, items change, and maybe more. In a series that encourages NG+ cycles, this is much more interesting than the standard difficulty increase that the other games get.

There's a few other original ideas, like 2 rings you can unlock for completing the game without resting at a bonfire and for never dying. Again, good challenge stuff there and made possible by the return of healing items other than estus.

DS3 wrapped up the series by being a love letter to DS1, and it missed out by not including DS2's good parts. It could have been a true best of both worlds, but all we got is a few references here and there outside of the general improvements any sequel brings.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm a huge fan of the Souls games and rate Demon's Souls and Bloodborne as two of the best games I've ever played, but can't deny the combat in Dragons Dogma was a lot more fun.

Souls games are more tactical. I'll give them that. You can't run into a fight mashing the attack button. You need to know your foe and learn their pattern of attack.

Dragons Dogma requires less thought, but the combat feels more satisfying and intense. Although some might find it a gimmick, I love being able to climb on the back of massive monsters and hack away and different body parts.

Vaelka

Dark Souls 3 has the most cheap and annoying boss battles in the whole FromSoftware library. Though I must admit Sekiro is a strong contender.
Uh no, that'd be Elden Ring.

Elden Ring is Sekiro bosses without Sekiro combat.

Last edited:
Uh no, that'd be Elden Ring.

Elden Ring is Sekiro bosses without Sekiro combat.
Not with the other mechanics present in the game. I would say only the second stage of the First Elden Lord would qualify, but it is still a lot more manageable than some of the shit Dark Souls 3 bosses pull in the DLC.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Anything is better than the slow clunky soulsborne combat. I get that the slow clunky animations are part of the difficulty of the game but it's still awful. At least Sekiro had much better combat.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It didn’t have hte most memorable OST

I think it's great. Not many themes but those that are there are for sure memorable.

Agree with the rest of your post tho. Game's flawed, better than the sum of it's parts and probably the best 7/10 game I'm ever going to play. Can't wait for the sequel.

Last edited:

I think it's great. Not many themes but those that are there are for sure memorable.

Agree with the rest of your post tho. Game's flawed, better than the sum of it's parts and probably the best 7/10 game I'm ever going to play. Can't wait for the sequel.

Like I said, it isn’t the *most* memorable. There are some great tracks, but compare it to almost any FInal Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Xenoblade, or other JRPGs where you can easily hum/sing the songs instantly.

NT80

Good game but it was not made by the same director so is kinda meh ... it still worth playing but it is the worst of all of them...

Bloodborne is still the king.. but i would just wait for the inevitable remaster

Demon Souls is miles behind the rest. Their games have gotten so much better since then. DS3 is vastly superior especially in the bosses department.

MiguelItUp

In-depth topic receives in-depth responses. 🤸🏻‍♂️
The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Demon Souls is miles behind the rest. Their games have gotten so much better since then. DS3 is vastly superior especially in the bosses department.
It problably is ... but since it was the first and the remake is so good it kinds hold a special place in my list 😁

Top Bottom