• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Comes to PC This January

NEO0MJ

Dark Souls is an anomaly really when it comes to Japanese games on Steam. Capcom games in general don't tend to be big hits on PC, despite being excellent ports.

They seem to have done well enough on the platform. According to Steamspy their top ten games range between 780k and 270k, which is not bad at all.

cHaOs667

Rayge isn't bullshitting, see the SteamSpy numbers:
http://steamspy.com/app/211420

Mind you this doesn't account for prices, bundles, etc, but it does show that there are at least 2 million unique owners of Dark Souls on PC alone.
Even then his numbers are likely incorrect.

I mean, just do the math. He states that they have sold 2.765 million copies of Dark Souls. 2.1 million should be sold on the PC which leads us to 665.000 for the console versions.... which is incorrect as From Software stated in April 2013 that they have sold 1.3 million copies on XBox 360 and PS3 alone. ;)

Corpekata

Banned

I mean, just do the math. He states that they have sold 2.765 million copies of Dark Souls. 2.1 million should be sold on the PC which leads us to 665.000 for the console versions.... which is incorrect as From Software stated in April 2013 that they have sold 1.3 million copies on XBox 360 and PS3 alone. ;)

You are not paying attention to the figures.

The 2.7 million is for the PREPARE TO DIE EDITION. As in, the PC edition + GOTY console edition.

The 1.3 figures you are referencing are the NORMAL GAME edition on console.

Navid

Great news, one of my favourite games of 2012... played a ton of it, people who are going into it fresh are in for a treat.

Momentary

Banned

Bro... just stop.

UltraJay

Those are the numbers for the Prepare to Die Edition, aka the PC version. None of those 2.7 million copies are on console. They never got that Edition. The difference in numbers should be because of the fact that it was a Games for Windows Live game and not Steamworks.
:)

Ampsicora

I mean, just do the math. He states that they have sold 2.765 million copies of Dark Souls Prepare to die Edition. 2.1 million should be sold on the PC which leads us to 665.000 for the console versions.... which is incorrect as From Software stated in April 2013 that they have sold 1.3 million copies on XBox 360 and PS3 alone. ;)

Eurogamer.net: Dark Souls series surpass 8.5 million

Dark Souls has sold 2,828,000 units worldwide
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition ("with Artorias of the Abyss") has sold 2,765,000 units worldwide
Dark Souls 2 has sold 2,311,000 units worldwide
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin has sold 600,000 units worldwide
That's a total of 8,504,000 sold

SteamSpy is reliable, even developers said so, if the site said Dark Souls is in 2 millions of account, so it is.

EDIT:
Those are the numbers for the Prepare to Die Edition, aka the PC version. None of those 2.7 million copies are on console. They never got that Edition. The difference in numbers should be because of the fact that it was a Games for Windows Live game and not Steamworks. :)

Actually... The Prepare to Die edition is also on console. A Friend of mine has that version on PS3

Vazduh

OH MY FUCKING GOD.

LORD HELP ME.

Ki7LFlj.gif

Ikr? Capcom not being Crapcom for once ;_; Bless

BONKERS

That's cool and all. (Been wanting to play this since it came out. But the tearing on 360 was unbearable. Framerate on PS3 was unbearable. IQ and draw distances were equally bad) It's several years late, but please. Please just fix your other shit first. Please stop abandoning your games on PC.

Also, improve those textures. (Not like RE4 where the budget was so limited that a lot stuff doesn't match).
(Improved or moddable draw distances and LOD distances for everything too. )
Better AA would be nice too. But that's asking too much. SMAAT2x in DR3 was a joke and effectively did less for aliasing than SMAA1x and FXAA. They managed to mess it up somehow.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I GUARANTEE you it will sell the most copies on the PC platform.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition ("with Artorias of the Abyss") has sold 2,765,000 units worldwide PC version sold: 2,111,500
Uh, that's because the PTDE was primarily the PC port (it got released on consoles too but way later).... very misleading number here. The original game sold more on PS360 than the PTD version did, though of course PTD did very well too.

EDIT:Actually... The Prepare to Die edition is also on console. A Friend of mine has that version on PS3
Yeah, it's uncommon though. Most people who had a PS360 had already played it with the DLC bought separately by then.

Momentary

Banned
Those are the numbers for the Prepare to Die Edition, aka the PC version. None of those 2.7 million copies are on console. They never got that Edition. The difference in numbers should be because of the fact that it was a Games for Windows Live game and not Steamworks.
:)

Just saying... it's a coincidence that every person that has tried to refute my facts so far have been juniors.

You can even add those console sales of prepare to die with the OG sales and the PC version still looks impressive to that number. Just sayin.

Sectus

Hopefully there will be some crazy high draw distance / LoD settings in there somewhere. Destroy pop-in.

I'm curious how it could have taken Capcom over three years to realize this game has huge potential on PC. It's so obvious.
Sven (ex-Capcom USA employee) really pushed for the game to be ported to PC back in 2012 and 2013, but it never came to be. I get the impression it was hard to convince Capcom Japan to put more resources into doing PC ports. But Capcom seems to have changed their opinion recently (looking at projects like RE4 UHD, RE5 GE PC, and now DD: DA PC).

thanks for the heads up. Hopefully this sells well so even if they decide to bring DDO to the west and it tanks they can look at it and realize maybe it's the game itself and not the series.

All I know is that with this my interest for DDO is back to zero.

Just to put another opinion into the mix: I've been playing some DDO (up to lvl 22) and I'm having a blast. It feels different from DD: DA (bosses have a new rage bar mechanic, the classes feel very different), but I like that it feels different. I'd rather have a new experience than all mechanics returning the same.

Momentary

Banned
Uh, that's because the PTDE was primarily the PC port (it got released on consoles too but way later).... very misleading number here. The original game sold more on PS360 than the PTD version did, though of course PTD did very well too.

Yeah, it's uncommon though. Most people who had a PS360 had already played it with the DLC bought separately by then.

Like I said. Just throw your lump summed console platorms sales of PTDE to your OG sales and it still looks impressive against 2 platforms being counted as one.

You guys keep setting yourselves up man. Just stop.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Like I said. Just throw your lump summed console platorms sales of PTDE to your OG sales and it still looks impressive against 2 platforms being counted as one.

You guys keep setting yourselves up man. Just stop.
What are you talking about? No one disagrees that there's money to be made in a PC port of a console ARPG, but you posted misleading numbers and were corrected. That's it. "Setting ourselves up", uh.... what.

Dr Dogg

Sven (ex-Capcom USA employee) really pushed for the game to be ported to PC back in 2012 and 2013, but it never came to be. I get the impression it was hard to convince Capcom Japan to put more resources into doing PC ports. But Capcom seems to have changed their opinion recently (looking at projects like RE4 UHD, RE5 GE PC, and now DD: DA PC).

Hahaha I'm surprised you're not talking about this.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dragonsdogma-pc/

Though I can imagine you're very happy regardless!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How the fuck did I post misleading numbers?
I already explained. You posted numbers for the PTD edition comparing console vs PC, when it's obvious why the PTD edition would have more sales on PC because it excludes the original version which is the one with the most sales.

KR_remix

Just to put another opinion into the mix: I've been playing some DDO (up to lvl 22) and I'm having a blast. It feels different from DD: DA (bosses have a new rage bar mechanic, the classes feel very different), but I like that it feels different. I'd rather have a new experience than all mechanics returning the same.

Ya I had pretty much given up hope after he left. How are the kb+m controls in DDO? If you tried them that is.

This is great and unexpected news. I love MT Framework games on PC. My rig cuts through Lost Planet 2 like hot butter, and I'm pretty sure my girlfriend's mid range laptop should be able to make this sing.

What's going on with Capcoms new engine by the way? Nothing new on panta rhei or Deep Down? Maybe TGS will be the time.

Anyway, great move by Capcom and I wouldn't be surprised if this ultimately ends up being the highest selling version.

Momentary

Banned
I already explained. You posted numbers for the PTD edition comparing console vs PC, when it's obvious why the PTD edition would have more sales on PC because it excludes the original version which is the one with the most sales.

How about this Morrigan Stark.

DS+DSPTDE console sales (2 Platforms) = 3478000
DSPTDE PC sales = 2111500
DS 2 Console Sale (2 Platforms) = 1288000
DS 2 PC sales = 1023000

Don't worry I did all the work for you people. Just how you wanted it. Didn't know me posting factual sales numbers were going to bring out dejector hiding in the shadows

Sectus

Hahaha I'm surprised you're not talking about this.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dragonsdogma-pc/

Though I can imagine you're very happy regardless!
I should take all credit for this port happening because of that petition. But yeah, I'm super happy this is finally happening. Dragon's Dogma for PC always made perfect sense in so many ways.

Ya I had pretty much given up hope after he left. How are the kb+m controls in DDO? If you tried them that is.

They're great. They did a great job making sure both control schemes (gamepad and keyboard and mouse) work great for ingame actions and UI. The only stupid thing they did is that on PC you get generic number prompts when using gamepad.

UltraJay

Just saying... it's a coincidence that every person that has tried to refute my facts so far have been juniors.

You can even add those console sales of prepare to die with the OG sales and the PC version still looks impressive to that number. Just sayin.

I'm not trying to refute your facts. I'm agreeing with you. Dark Souls 1 sold 2 million on PC alone.

Lazaro

Resident Evil 6 had FOV settings in the ini. So even if there is no slider ... I think everything will be fine.

Capcom's .ini files also include more advanced options as well. MT Framework is probably the best Japanese Built Multiplatform Engine when it comes to PC releases. Lost Planet 1 and 2 used some very advanced and heavy DX10 and DX11 effects.

KainXVIII

Resident Evil 6 had FOV settings in the ini. So even if there is no slider ... I think everything will be fine.

Fov settings was ingame, even on consoles (with latest patch).
Agreed that MT Framework was great, but RE6 and Re2 shows that its aged badly.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Is this real life? I had hoped this would happen, but I never believed it actually would. Thank you Capcom!

Makareu

Never played it, but it seems that its big flaw was on the technical side. If the PC version performs correctly I will probably give it a try.

I guess this is exciting for PC players, but DD is one of GAFs most overrated games, in my opinion.

The world is pretty barren, and the same mobs spawn in exactly the same places so it gets boring to traverse fairly quickly when you have to repeatedly clear the same bandit camps and gangs of goblins. I found the loot hugely underwhelming too.

The game starts off great, and is genuinely scary at night, but even that wears off later in the game once you are powerful enough to crush most enemies pretty swiftly.

Dragon's Dogma is a game that needs a sequel badly. It is so close to being a really good game, but falls short.

I guess this is exciting for PC players, but DD is one of GAFs most overrated games, in my opinion.

The world is pretty barren, and the same mobs spawn in exactly the same places so it gets boring to traverse fairly quickly when you have to repeatedly clear the same bandit camps and gangs of goblins. I found the loot hugely underwhelming too.

The game starts off great, and is genuinely scary at night, but even that wears off later in the game once you are powerful enough to crush most enemies pretty swiftly.

Dragon's Dogma is a game that needs a sequel badly. It is so close to being a really good game, but falls short.

How far did you get in the game?

Dinjoralo

Tried to replicate some of the PC screenshots for a comparison:

-snip-

Seems like there's some higher-res textures being used, that armor in the first shot looks really detailed for what was originally a 360 game. Fuckin' Capcom, going above and beyond the call of duty for this.

UrbanRats

Massive difference.

I wonder if a PS4/Xbone version is also in the work, i'd have to assume it is.
I'll get it on PC anyway, but i think it'd make sense, since it seems easy enough to port from PC to those platforms.

Lanrutcon

I am so psyched for this. I remember watching a playthrough of the xpac going "Why the FUCK isn't this on my pc right now, blowing my mind?".

I am just a super nerd for games like these.

Top Bottom