• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Fence Sitters - Footage You Need to See

Derrick01

Banned
Well, we do know:

- You meet all sorts of people and traveling merchants
- There are stores and buildings to go in (with no loading)
- You can roam around, climb buildings and mess with wildlife and the population
- You earn a reputation and are treated accordingly
- There is loot to find

Plenty to do and probably more we have not yet seen.

Sounds solid in that category but I do hope there's more. Also, maybe because I'm just cynical, but all of these buildings with no loading doesn't give me hope about the insides of them being diverse. Sounds almost too good to be true.

One thing I saw in the video was you can throw guards. That alone has the potential for some amazing minigames.

ironcreed

Banned
Er, yeah sure. I was referencing the fact of the magic flare because when I think of flares I think of Alan Wake.

I hear you, lol. I was just talking about how damn dark it gets period. You have to keep oil handy for that lantern as well. But having a Magic Archer in your party with Flare Arrow will end up being a godsend, I imagine.

CamHostage

This game looks a lot like what I thought White Knight Chronicles was going to be, both visually and in play, when the TGS 06 trailer showed. Good times.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't know if this game is even an RPG. Some have described it as an open-world DMC.

After they first revealed the game, Capcom insisted that this is not an RPG. The official Japanese site lists the genre as Open World Action. I think one downfall for this game would be people thinking it'll be more like the Skyrim sort of games. So I'm going in only expecting a nice world to explore with good combat and monsters but not many interactive options with other townsmen nor other RPG elements.

3) They ditched Co-op

Co-op was never in the game in the first place...

Llyranor

Wow, that actually looks pretty good.

I had zero interest in it before, but this almost puts me on the fence.

Now, granted, previous loss of interest was due to lack of co-op, so the video doesn't solve that. It's really a shame, since previous MT Framework games I've played in co-op have all had excellent netcode, and the pawn system would make replacement with 2p co-op a no-brainer balance-wise. Maybe it has to do with how the netcode wouldn't hold well in open-world or something.

Now, I'll jump on this as soon as they unleash co-op DLC. Otherwise, I might wait for a Steam sale of the eventual PC version.

I'll admit the pawn system does seem pretty cool. But interesting online elements are no substitute for proper co-op.

Dresden

After they first revealed the game, Capcom insisted that this is not an RPG. The official Japanese site lists the genre as Open World Action. I think one downfall for this game would be people thinking it'll be more like the Skyrim sort of games. So I'm going in only expecting a nice world to explore with good combat and monsters but not many interactive options with other townsmen nor other RPG elements.

We were hearing early on that there would be no leveling up or anything like that - but in that same thread it was contradicted and now we see job classes, levels, equipments, stores, NPCs, etc. Sure looks like a RPG to me.

KorrZ

Wow, OP. You were beyond right. I did need to see that footage, this game went from "Hah! fuck that game" to immediate day one must buy. I love the sense of real danger like Dark Souls (especially once it gets dark) combined with the open world and some fun ass abilities like levitate and tossing guards off the roof. Looks amazinggggg. Wow.

I want to get it but the whole resident evil demo thing soured me, I'll wait. I really wanted to support this game but capcom is one of my least favorite publishers.

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds solid in that category but I do hope there's more. Also, maybe because I'm just cynical, but all of these buildings with no loading doesn't give me hope about the insides of them being diverse. Sounds almost too good to be true.

One thing I saw in the video was you can throw guards. That alone has the potential for some amazing minigames.

I guess we will just have to see, but I personally could not be happier with the details we have seen so far.

Grisby

I hear you, lol. I was just talking about how damn dark it gets period. You have to keep oil handy for that lantern as well. But having a Magic Archer in your party with Flare Arrow will end up being a godsend, I imagine.
Yeah, heh, I'm surprised its so dark. I think that's what I'll do is keep a mage pawn flare guy.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It's a huge shame it's coming out just after Diablo 3 and Max Payne 3 though.
Completely different genres and I don't think that's a big deal. The important thing is for the game to review well so that it gets more exposure, and also positive word of mouth. I don't think Capcom is doing a good job with promoting this game considering many people haven't even heard of it.

Neverfade

Looks good, but dammit if I almost want to not buy it to not support Capcom and their Guinness World Record of most consecutive bad decisions.

The M.O.B

Reasons why i will wait for a $20 bomba.

1) Its Capcom <----- Number one reason. Scummy company. Been shat on many times by Capcom this generation. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
2) No PC version
3) They ditched Co-op

It was going to have co-op at one time? Game looks like it would be suitable.

Cirdan

Neo Member
Pretty much dismissed this completely because it looked quite boring and thought it went to joke tier when they said no co-op.
Night gameplay has gotten me interested however. Release is too close to D3 so I'll be looking into this sometime later.

AAK

This looks like a game that will get a GOTY re release... probably gonna wait for that version.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Thanks for this thread... this game is so bought. :)

I absolutely love the idea of setting out from an inn early in the morning not because of some arbitrary rule in a quest to be somewhere at a certain time, but because I genuinely want to get there and back during daylight to avoid having to traverse a very dangeous and frightening world in real darkness.

I absolutely love the idea of setting out from an inn early in the morning not because of some arbitrary rule in a quest to be somewhere at a certain time, but because I genuinely want to get there and back during daylight to avoid having to traverse a very dangeous and frightening world in real darkness.

Well said. But also, you have the option to go out and fight monsters at night, they probably have better rewards and experience too. So it's a nice risk.

Derrick01

Banned
Well said. But also, you have the option to go out and fight monsters at night, they probably have better rewards and experience too. So it's a nice risk.

Seems like you really need to prepare for that too. Lots of torches or bring a mage with a light spell, the guy couldn't see 2 feet in front of him in the video. It's like preparing for a real life quest!

You mean to say that day and night actually means something? You mean to say that a scary enemy at night in a cave is something that you shouldn't probably fuck with? You mean to say this is an RPG that might be deep and challenging with a rewarding skill based combat system?

Capcom does what Bethesda won't.

Pre-ordered.

Itsuno is awesome. He's one of the few studs Capcom JPN has left.

i hope this is the case. i couldn't enjoy a single RPG after dark souls. there is a huge hole in my life.

Madridy

After watching these clips, I've reached MAX HYPE levels!!
The more I see and read about this game, the more I become excited about it!

This Game now is my most anticipated game the year! I'm so hyped for it even more than I'm for Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, or AC 3! and that is unbelievable coming from its first reveal!

DemonNite

Lets face it, we all know multiplayer is on the disc and Capcom is going to charge 10-15 bucks for a 100kb unlock key. See RE5 Vesus.

i'm still bitter

do it capcom, do it. For once... I will cheer if this does happen (kill me)

Piecake

What I took from that vid is to stay on the fucking path, because every where else is super dangerous

Looks awesome and will definitely check it out once the price drops (my policy is to always by games at 20 or less). Hopefully Bethesda takes some notes because the combat in this game actually looks fun

Am I the only one who thinks this looks kind of terrible?

Yeah you are.

So ANYWAY, it's a shame Capcom has no idea on how to promote this game. Even their translator that does interviews for this doesn't really know what the fuck he's doing, "umm, pawns...you can ...ummm, share them...and umm...they learn stuff..ummmmm."

XboxMagazine doing Capcom's job.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
What's with the horribly boring, pure black UI?

Damn, I hate everything about this style. It's so... generic medieval.

It's supposed to be dark, hence a use for the light spell.

Well I was talking more about the part in the city where it was morning, yet extremely dark.

XQsA6.png

Yuck

I keep seeing gameplay for this game and thinking "OMG THIS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN WITH MY FRIENDS"

Then I remember it's singleplayer only. Come on this game is screaming co-op, instead we get AI buddies running around with us.

Jasoneyu

From what I played at last year's PAX, it was extremely clunky and had terrible framerate issues. It was a beta build though probably from that year's E3 so it could have improved significantly since then.

Plus I don't know how well Capcom is promoting this. At Pax it was literally one little kiosk that was demoing it.

Mikey Jr.

Didn't really do anything for me. I love Dragon Age, so I thought I would love this. I watched the 10 minutes, then went "ehh". Might pick it up when it gets cheaper.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
My main concerns:

1. Just how varied are the enemies?
2. How much loot is there?
3. Just how difficult is the game? The guy made it seem difficult, but after playing Dark Souls, I'd like for this game to be at least somewhat close to it.

kuroshiki

Not impressed at all. Probably will wait until eventual bargain bin...

and then capcom will release weapon DLC, $5 per sword. just wait and see.

Xilium

I'll be picking it up. Not many other RPGs on the horizon that I want (don't care for Diablo's gameplay style) and the game looks decent enough. Kinda reminds me of what White Knight Chronicles was trying to accomplish.

kuroshiki

I'll be picking it up. Not many other RPGs on the horizon that I want (don't care for Diablo's gameplay style) and the game looks decent enough. Kinda reminds me of what White Knight Chronicles was trying to accomplish.

This is not RPG. at least according to Capcom

Card Boy

Banned
and then capcom will release weapon DLC, $5 per sword. just wait and see.

and it will be on disc, and the eventual defence force will defend it and say you only have a license to the game and that you don't own it and call you a dirty pirate for then trying to access said DLC.

Top Bottom