• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Fence Sitters - Footage You Need to See

Hazanko

Banned
Anyone know how the armour will work? My pet peeve with RPGs is that you get shoddy looking high level gear and beautiful low level gear. Not many allow you to keep the style. For example, the Berserk armour looks amazing but wouldn't I have to replace it for average looking high level gear?

Anteater

I noticed one of the achievement is
Completed the adventure a second time. I wonder if there will be any changes when you play the game in new game+, since they seems to be encouraging a second play through

joe2187

Banned
You know what I would like to see in a game that uses New game +? Different beginnings, characters, quests that are only available after you start NG+ almost like a mini sequal or side story to the main game included into the main plot of the game, or something different to mess around with your second time around.

Riposte

The best thing to come out of the recent RPG hybrids like this and Kingdom's of Amalur is the influence of character action gameplay. For too long have these games been getting praised despite their floaty, awkward combat.

Not "influence", they simply started making character action games. Itsuno is behind Devil May Cry 3/4, so naturally he can make an eye-catching game. Kingdoms of Amalur didn't have the pedigree unfortunately.

Not "influence", they simply started making character action games. Itsuno is behind Devil May Cry 3/4, so naturally he can make an eye-catching game. Kingdoms of Amalur didn't have the pedigree unfortunately.

Well, I used "influence" since it's not purely a character action game in the classic sense. If I'm being specific, it's the melee, defense, and hitstun parts of the combat I'm pointing out. It's actually an action/reaction system now instead of flailing away on hit sponges who don't flinch, or being a sponge yourself because the game is too cumbersome to allow for quick reactions. I don't know why devs and critics think it's "okay" to let mediocre combat get a pass, and I hope games like this prove otherwise.

ironcreed

Banned
Yep, still going Assassin on the first run. Mystic Knight and Magic Archer look plenty fun as well, though. Replay value, folks.

Kyoufu

The Sky Dance skill has just skyrocketed my desire to play Mystic Knight.

That is what I'm planning on playing. Looks so good!
3AQmK.gif

wanders

It reminded me of throwing a ball up against a wall and playing catch with yourself, lol. There will be some fun moments in this one for sure.
Yeah I love how they added a whole bunch of stuff to do when youre not fighting like picking up NPCs. But even in battle I can see that you can still mess around haha

Well I guess the real PAX stream is tomorrow

KorrZ

It was my suspicion all along but now.. Mystic Knight best class confirmed. It needs to be May already, I'm more excited for this than Diablo 3 at this point.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'm going to dedicate myself to making a whole team of assassin's work .. climbing all over big monsters and just going stab cray.

We shall call ourself the Foot!

spirity

The shield thing is a bit odd. Poisons, dual wielding daggers, stealth, evasion, assassinate, backstabs are what comes to my mind with assasins. But a shield suggests face to face defensive combat.

KorrZ

Seeing the Perilous Sigil video, and then the Sky dance one...All I can think of is trying to time it so I can throw a goblin into the sigil, have him bounce forward and catch him in the air with a Sky Dance boot to the face.

The combat in this game is going to be so fun :D

george_us

Well, I used "influence" since it's not purely a character action game in the classic sense. If I'm being specific, it's the melee, defense, and hitstun parts of the combat I'm pointing out. It's actually an action/reaction system now instead of flailing away on hit sponges who don't flinch, or being a sponge yourself because the game is too cumbersome to allow for quick reactions. I don't know why devs and critics think it's "okay" to let mediocre combat get a pass, and I hope games like this prove otherwise.
This right here is describes why I love Japanese games.

LProtag

Gonna be some giveaways on the stream tomorrow. Possibly those cardboard shield things and hats, depending on what Greg finds.

abundant

I'm going to dedicate myself to making a whole team of assassin's work .. climbing all over big monsters and just going stab cray.

We shall call ourself the Foot!

You can't have a team of all Assassin's, because the Assassin class is a hybrid class, which pawns can't be. At best, an all Strider team can use longbows and daggers.

agreed.

so many moves in this game, it's gonna be so fun

counterrryzu.gif

damn. damn. damn.

Famassu

The best thing to come out of the recent RPG hybrids like this and Kingdoms of Amalur is the influence of character action gameplay. For too long have these games been getting praised despite their floaty, awkward combat.
This is a Japanese game (from a proven action game developer) so it's not a surprise that the combat is actually decent.

We've still got a long way before Bethesda offers anything even remotely as good, (melee) combat-wise.

You know what I would like to see in a game that uses New game +? Different beginnings, characters, quests that are only available after you start NG+ almost like a mini sequal or side story to the main game included into the main plot of the game, or something different to mess around with your second time around.

Have you ever played Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter and Nier?

Top Bottom