• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Fence Sitters - Footage You Need to See

Anteater

burno5j9t.gif

Dude lit himself him and threw himself at a boss! What more do you want from the game
KuGsj.gif

deim0s

On a media blackout on this game... but took a peek at that cockatrice video. Damn, I'm gonna fight that?! Hyyyyyyped!!!!!

One question tho... how will be the difficulty on this game, MonHun difficult or Demon Souls difficult or is there even a difficulty selector?

ironcreed

Banned
On a media blackout on this game... but took a peek at that cockatrice video. Damn, I'm gonna fight that?! Hyyyyyyped!!!!!

One question tho... how will be the difficulty on this game, MonHun difficult or Demon Souls difficult or is there even a difficulty selector?

There is just one difficulty. How hard remains to be seen, but there have been some challenging scenarios shown for sure.

Anteater

They said only 1 difficulty setting, and they said it will be more difficult based on how good your pawn is, so I would think it's a bit dynamic and will be based around how hard you want it to be, like if you want it to be easier, you could probably get through the game if you grind through easier quests, etc, if you're not good with action games, you could choose a mage, etc.

They said it appeals to both demographic, and some journalists says it doesn't have too much hand holding, but it's hard to tell how they balance it.

LProtag

I wonder if the risk of using that Magick Archer skill is worth it. Seems to eat your health pretty quick while you're well, self-immolating.

But damn if it doesn't look hilarious and badass.

Osaka15

Banned
Yeah, in theory it kind of works, coop makes everything better and I wouldn't even mind dmc and bayonetta having coop, and mmo games being more action-focused, but I think it's up to the dev to do whatever they want to do and decide whether if it's possible or not and within the budget.

Developer kind of have to design the game around the online if they want both single player and multiplayer to have the same difficulty balance, because the AIs will never be perfect and they're not human, so they will need to balance both modes independently, else they will end with "forced coop" like other games Capcom has made.

All of their old coop games were also mission based, so they don't have to worry about player's progression, among other stuff.

I agree, forced coop can be an issue, but if done correctly it can work wonders.

On a side note, I am still excited to play this game, but expectation kind of got derailed after knowing that in all the quest you will fight alongside an AI, who is not as flexible as a human. Which will still be okay, but not as fun as another user. I am probably not going to see anymore video, because too much information can make one uninterested in a game. But so far, I have enjoyed all video.

Anteater

Did anyone ever gif the maelstrom effect? I might give making my very first one a shot

Yeah, it's kind of crap:

maelstroms4ena.gif

I downsized it so it isn't too huge, and I limit the frames it has because the video was really long, my computer is crap so I couldn't make a better one, lol.

So we'd appreciate it if you want to make a better quality one :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ahhh, yeah, that's sweet but a better framerate would be amazing, let's see I know there was a how to thread...

Hazanko

Banned
Not many RPGs have super cool spells like that. You get the odd one or two spells sometimes but the rest end up as just flashing lights and boring. It's good to see a game that takes magic seriously and gives cool spells. It's one of the reasons I want this game.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
The Kamikaze just sold the game.
Only real mages burst into flames!

Jac_Solar

Their marketing made that video? They did a terrible job lol.

Still dope though!

Simply showing gameplay of a coming game, as opposed to CG rendered movies that 'set the mood' or whatever they call it, is much, much, MUCH better. When trying to get an idea of what the game plays like, and if you might pick it up or not, a straight up gameplay video is 100% preferable over CG rendered movies, or even real-action movies, or 20 different ingame scenarios edited into 5-10 frames per scenario in a 1 minute trailer, layered underneath a lot of text, quotes, and fast paced music.

If you meant that it seems like they simply put together some random footage to set up the fight with the boss, which also seemed to consist of several tries against it somewhat oddly edited together or something, then yeah I understand that. :p

Still, since it's actual gameplay, it's all the way better than not-gameplay, which is useless footage. The Dark Souls CG movies were somewhat cool, though, but that's the exception.

It's just so rude of developers/publishers to show off a game with some random CG that is 'supposed' to be an approximation of what the game is like, which just doesn't work when you're supposed to show off the gameplay of the game, not someones idea of what the story/world/feelings of character at the moment/feelings of the world at the moment is or could be.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Holy shit at that FLAME ON moment and lunge into the goat-lion beast. That is one of the most badass things I've seen in a video game. Ahahaha this game man, this game!

Piecake

I want this game, badly. The combat looks SOOOO much better than Skyrim its not even funny. I really dont care if the story is bad, which it probably will be. But so long as it makes sense I really wont have a problem so long as the combat and customization is awesome and the exploration is great.

This game will be mine when it drops to 20 bucks (a firm policy of mine - made an exception for skyrim that i now regret)

No idea what I am going to make though

Either assassin or magic bow dude and my own pawn will probably be a mystic knight tank.

Can pawns be advanced/hybrid classes? Or are they restricted to the basics?

Piecake

Pawns can only be vanilla classes, sorry. For some reason, though, I have a feeling this will be expanded upon with DLC... =\

That sucks. Having my pawn tank be a mystic knight would be pretty sweet. And yea, that right there is probably going to be their 10-20 dollar day one dlc.

Turn your lowly basic pawn into a super pawn for only 15 bucks! I wonder how that would work with the internet pawn swap system though

gdt

This game is looking better and better. Looks like Dark Souls but quested out. (keeping myself mostly in the dark)

ironcreed

Banned
Does that fire hurt the user thoug? I kinda hope it does and Pawns shout out sad "Tell my son I loved him!"

Yes, using it comes with the price of rapidly depleting your health bar, but it causes great damage. The kind of balance that should be there and will make you have to think about exactly when to use such an ability.

Zeliard

Yep, pure mage confirmed.

My concern with picking mage and there apparently not being a true offensive battlemage class is that I wanted to both launch OTT spells and also climb all over bosses and fuck their shit up.

Clearly that is still possible even without much melee.

Yep, pure mage confirmed.

My concern with picking mage and there apparently not being a true offensive battlemage class is that I wanted to both launch OTT spells and also climb all over bosses and fuck their shit up.

Clearly that is still possible even without much melee.

You can climb and attack enemies as a mage. You'll whip out your staff and pew pew them.

Not sure if you can use spells at point blank range though.

LProtag

The spell that sets you on fire isn't actually a Mage spell. It's a Magick Archer skill for daggers.

So that's kinda a Mage, because they're a Strider/Mage class. They've got a little more melee viability though, because of the ability to use daggers.

Really curious as to what stats go up for the Magick Archer when they level up though. I dunno if they get much in terms of strength, so maybe it's a good idea to spend more time as a Strider than a Mage to make dagger and magick bow skills balanced... this is all pure speculation though.

Top Bottom