• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Fence Sitters - Footage You Need to See

I didn't find the framerate to be a hindrance at all. During combat it was fine and it never got close to Blighttown :p

I really liked the demo! Made my characters as well, a scrappy young Wander (Shadow of the Colossus) type and a fat bearded mage. Looking forward to using them next month!

the entire demo is in english.

played through both quests and it's pretty good. no issues with the framerate but jesus is it dark in spots. maybe that's the point but i had a very hard time seeing wtf was going on at times. also i couldn't figure out how to lock onto opponents. i didn't do any character editing, just rolled with whatever

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
LOL, it is still a tutorial of a huge open world game with many different enemies at varying levels. Everyone who has had extensive hands-on has made it a point to say that the game is by no means easy and will punish you if you venture off too far and come across enemies that out level you. Not to mention that you will often find that you will have to retreat and level up more just to progress period. But if you want to go ahead and write the difficulty of the game off based on the tutorial in the demo, then that is your right, I guess. As I said, it will not be for everyone.

Was it the OXM preview where the guy basically broke it down straight up like "If you go into the forest at night unprepared - You die. If you leave the city without preparing before hand you'll die. If you take on something that's a higher level than you without tact and skill... you're dead."

It won't be demon's souls but what is? I'm hoping that after some good quality time with the full game we come to find that becoming great in DD is the same type of path as really mastering DMC is... albiet a little more strategy and tactics and a little less reflex and muscle memory.

I didn't find the framerate to be a hindrance at all. During combat it was fine and it never got close to Blighttown :p

I really liked the demo! Made my characters as well, a scrappy young Wander (Shadow of the Colossus) type and a fat bearded mage. Looking forward to using them next month!

Heh clever. Sometimes i wish they had Pawn copies of your main in the rift as well. A whole group of Wanders murdering colossus's faces! :D

Was it the OXM preview where the guy basically broke it down straight up like "If you go into the forest at night unprepared - You die. If you leave the city without preparing before hand you'll die. If you take on something that's a higher level than you without tact and skill... you're dead."

It won't be demon's souls but what is? I'm hoping that after some good quality time with the full game we come to find that becoming great in DD is the same type of path as really mastering DMC is... albiet a little more strategy and tactics and a little less reflex and muscle memory.

dark souls. demons souls is a walk in the park in comparison

LoL Demon's almost made me brake my first video game controller ever... i'm just not going there. Most likely burn down my house.

i played 20 hours of dark souls and got to one part that pissed me off so badly that i did not come back to the game for over 5 months. demons souls was hard but i felt like there were just enough crumbs the developers gave you to make it fair. there is shit i came across in dark souls that is not fair at all and it pisses me off even thinking about it now

I love the combat, but I think the demo is crap, I don't think this is the best way to convince people, too little too short. Graphics didn't impress me at all, but it runs well. The character editor is pretty good. Still day one for me.

ironcreed

Banned
I could not be more pleased with it. It is basically everything I have been salivating over in gameplay footage, only I was in control this time... and it runs great on the PS3.

While it will not be winning any graphics awards, I still love the look of the game. The lighting and detail on the monsters especially stands out. How about the sun shining down as the Griffin swoops down in front of it? Scenes like that will have me pausing to make use of the screenshot feature constantly. The game is going to be amazing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. I knew I would like this, but I think I'm in love. This may just be one of the coolest games I've ever played. Granted this is only a very tiny chunk, I think this game will be everything I hoped it would be. I love the visuals--the effects and lighting are incredible. I'm a sucker for some great medieval fantasy, and they just nailed the look in this game. The combat is fun and fast, but looks like it has a lot of room for tactical depth like the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls series. I'm really surprised at how polished everything is and how responsive the controls are.

Damn. I can't be more excited. I was pumped for Diablo III, and I still am, but it's going to the wayside as soon as I can get my hands on this.

Lucent

I could not be more pleased with it. It is basically everything I have been salivating over in gameplay footage, only I was in control this time... and it runs great on the PS3.

While it will not be winning any graphics awards, I still love the look of the game. The lighting and detail on the monsters especially stands out. How about the sun shining down as the Griffin swoops down in front of it? Scenes like that will have me pausing to make use of the screenshot feature constantly. The game is going to be amazing.

Yeah the field itself doesn't look very impressive. But the character faces look better than the ones in Dark Souls imo. And I did see that shining sun behind the Griffin.

I liked how the goblins were laughing and I ran in and crashed their party. Started doing combos with my daggers and throwing goblins at other goblins. Then I kept jumping on the Griffin while it took off and stabbed it in the face and stuff. Grabbing it by the tail while it takes off is even more awesome because it's like you're hanging on for dear life.

Strider for sure so far.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm still not fond of the style or even just the general look of everything, but I sure do love all the little touches for all the enemies and how they react in combat. All the videos and this demo do a nice job of showing some of that and just messing around with the enemies (especially chimera) due to it being on easy mode I guess.

I'm just hoping I can make my outfit more colourful in the full game, just to stand out more.

So sad,

I literally got to play the demo for 2 minutes before I had to head out to work =(

It's okay, the chimera will sit patiently waiting for you.

ForzaFerrari

Neo Member
i played 20 hours of dark souls and got to one part that pissed me off so badly that i did not come back to the game for over 5 months. demons souls was hard but i felt like there were just enough crumbs the developers gave you to make it fair. there is shit i came across in dark souls that is not fair at all and it pisses me off even thinking about it now

Exactly my feelings for Dark Souls too. I dropped it :/

Anyone know about what time we will get it on EU PSN?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Demo players - does it have the black borders top and bottom?

P2O7Q.jpg

ThankeeSai

Apologies if this has already been posted -

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...-snazzy-xbox-360-chrome-controllers-in-japan/

Microsoft is set to release its Red, Blue and Silver "chrome" Xbox 360 controllers in Japan May 24.

They'll retail for about $70 each and they look pretty sharp. But you knew most of this already.

New to the equation is that, in Japan, each of the wireless controllers will include a code for eight special quests in Dragon's Dogma, which is becomes available to Japanese audiences on the same day.

Given the Xbox 360's lack of popularity in that part of the world, incentivizing the chromed-out controllers seems like a smart move.

Dragon's Dogma will also be available for PS3. The RPG releases in North America May 22, three days later in Europe.

Seriously getting sick and tired of shit like this. It's bad enough that certain retailers have exlcusive armour/weapons/characters/whatever in various games nowadays, but now they're bundling "eight special quests" in with a controller?!

I know this is in Japan obviously, but how long before this type of stuff is the norm in other territories?

RPGCrazied

One thing. I'm getting the Japanese demo right now, cause everyone says its in English. But will the Japanese demo work with the English retail game?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
any PS3/360 comparison videos (for the framerate and image quality) yet ?

Yeah, Demon's Soul designed way better than Dark Souls.

lol, I remember that thread.

RPGCrazied

Its not overscan, its in letterbox mode. Watch a widescreen movie sometime, most of the time those bottom and top bars are present.

Anteater

Apologies if this has already been posted -

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...-snazzy-xbox-360-chrome-controllers-in-japan/

Seriously getting sick and tired of shit like this. It's bad enough that certain retailers have exlcusive armour/weapons/characters/whatever in various games nowadays, but now they're bundling "eight special quests" in with a controller?!

I know this is in Japan obviously, but how long before this type of stuff is the norm in other territories?

Not sure if they are the same quests but there were suppose to be some 8 quests thing that's time exclusive on the 360, so it could just be that, probably means you just get it for free with the controller

Boss Man

I like that this game is bringing up discussion about Demon's Souls. I will definitely be checking out the demo tonight. It looks like the combat might be on par, which I totally didn't expect anyone to do this gen.

Boss Man

Regardless of the graphical quality, there's something about the way this game looks. I don't know if it's the variation or the quality of the animations, but it just makes me think that this is one of those games that come around once or twice a generation that are filled to the brim with care, creativity, and artfully crafted gameplay.

edit: Sorry for the double post. I figured breaking it in half was better than editing one out though.

Kajiba

I was just playing around in custom character mode and i just made guts from berserk and caska as my companion. Holy shit i want this game now lol.

Demo gameplay was really fun.

Tried the demo last night, awesome! Love the gameplay, the UI, the animation, everything. It looks kind of rough but that's ok, most of my favorite games do. Biggest surprise for me was that I actually enjoyed playing around with the character creator. I normally hate doing that, I find it onerous and typically just pick the least ugly preset and maybe change the hair/beard but in this game it was actually fun to work with.

I do wish the camera was pulled back a bit more especially out of combat. I didn't even notice the letterboxing.

ironcreed

Banned
Oh damn, forgot the demo was out! Is there a PS3 vs 360 consensus yet?

They both look and run close enough to the same level that it is not worth splitting hairs over at all. The 360 version might have a slightly smoother framerate, but it also has tearing going on. Whereas, the PS3 version has none, and still looks and runs great.

Top Bottom