• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter [Ended, $1.5 million funded]

wow this looks really amazing.
I hope 29 days will be enough though.

as a person who is totally new to the series but really interested now,
could someone recommend where to start if I wanted to get into it?
is it neccessary to start with the first title or wouldn't I have any problems
starting with Dreamfall: The Longest Journey ?

Boulayman

You definitely should play them in order. TLJ is the better of the two and hasn't aged badly. And yah a non negligible part of the enjoyment of the second one is to see what old favourites have been up to. The plots are very interconnected.

Soup Bar

Can't believe this is coming out. Never pledged something on Kickstarter so this will be my first time. $20 bucks seems like a good price.

Doffen

Backed with $110 ($125), I will probably pledge more if they don't surpass their goal significantly before March 10.

Carlisle

I started with Dreamfall and not having played TLJ didn't slow me down. I've never been more in love with a game's world, characters, story, etc. There are definitely references to TLJ that I didn't fully understand, but it wasn't a deterrent to the experience at all.

As soon as I finished Dreamfall I did end up starting TLJ and playing maybe half of it before my file got erased and I couldn't bring myself to start it over right away. Truly a lovely game that I desperately need to finish. But even having not played all of the first one, it's my favorite series of games and the story has stuck with me like few games ever have.

I might even recommend starting with Dreamfall. Since TLJ has aged pretty poorly it might be a bit easier to get into the series starting with the more palatable Dreamfall. Once you're through that and fully drawn into the world you'll have no trouble going through TLJ no matter how old it gets.
unless your file gets erased halfway through >_<

Necrovex

The Longest Journey. It's a brilliant game, but I would highly recommend using a walkthrough for the puzzles. Even during its time, the puzzles were convoluted, nowadays, you will go crazy.

I started with Dreamfall and not having played TLJ didn't slow me down. I've never been more in love with a game's world, characters, story, etc. There are definitely references to TLJ that I didn't fully understand, but it wasn't a deterrent to the experience at all.

As soon as I finished Dreamfall I did end up starting TLJ and playing maybe half of it before my file got erased and I couldn't bring myself to start it over right away. Truly a lovely game that I desperately need to finish. But even having not played all of the first one, it's my favorite series of games and the story has stuck with me like few games ever have.

I might even recommend starting with Dreamfall. Since TLJ has aged pretty poorly it might be a bit easier to get into the series starting with the more palatable Dreamfall. Once you're through that and fully drawn into the world you'll have no trouble going through TLJ no matter how old it gets.
unless your file gets erased halfway through >_<

Dreamfall was my first game in the series, but I would still say TLJ should be first. It really enhances Dreamfall.

Boulayman

The Longest Journey. It's a brilliant game, but I would highly recommend using a walkthrough for the puzzles. Even during its time, the puzzles were convoluted, nowadays, you will go crazy.

Dreamfall was my first game in the series, but I would still say TLJ should be first. It really enhances Dreamfall.

Very good point about the puzzles, some of them in the original ones were tough. I remember a series of islands ones.. Painful.. The dreamfall ones are all quite straighforward, the only one that I remember was one in some caves.

Tigel

Fuck I want the 500$ Complete Boxed Edition so bad. Artbook, Lorebook, Soundtrack CD... Someone please, stop me from doing something insane

Perkel

Banned
FUCK YEEEEESSSSS

At last ! Loved both TLJ and Dreamfall

tumblr_m5lye6kTj11rrn4vv.gif

Anyone else think something looks really off with Zoe in the rendered pics?

I really hope this makes it but 850K seems like an absurdly high goal.

Hambone

Backed.

As we get close to release, I will definitely will replay TLJ and Dreamfall. I really enjoy the story, and can not wait for the conclusion.

Anyone that is on the fence just look at these games as interactive fiction. Use a guide for TLJ, and enjoy the ride in Dreamfall.

Doffen

I thought they started a new company and had funding...

Red Thread Games is a new company and they've got founded with $181,346 (1M NOK) by the Norwegian government, but that's not enough to create a big scaled adventure game like Dreamfall.

Fuck I want the 500$ Complete Boxed Edition so bad. Artbook, Lorebook, Soundtrack CD... Someone please, stop me from doing something insane

just do it! :D

I think Zoe looks great, really like the character design. but then again, I have no real comparison to how she looked like before

Perkel

Banned

1. It's prototype. It is not even alpha so her look may change a lot.
2. They already have almost 200k in less than 10 hours. 1/4 of their budget. If this will reach to all fans they will fund it in a day or two. I am predicting 2mln+ TLJ is beloved by fans

- J - D -

I'm in for $500. In a year of expensive gaming tech-releases, it's difficult to justify in any means, but I love the series.

I hope Wonkers is in it.

But... You're not supposed to say that :(

but there's no better way to spend your money than supporting a kickstarter gaming project. hm I really want to back it too.. there should be a way to get my future
money I saved from boycotting mass effect 4 on my bank account right now.

Durante

I think its the absolute minimum realistic goal they can set to make a game that looks like the screenshots they have shown (and keeps up the other production values important to the series, particularly fantastic voice acting).

And it doesn't look like they'll have a big issue reaching the goal.

Perkel

Banned
I think its the absolute minimum realistic goal they can set to make a game that looks like the screenshots they have shown (and keeps up the other production values important to the series, particularly fantastic voice acting).

And it doesn't look like they'll have a big issue reaching the goal.

Yeah they are almost 200k in just few hours. And news is reaching redit 1st place in gaming.

Acosta

I waaaaaant the 500$ one, nooooooooooooo! I can't, I won't!

Give us the option to buy the Tome of the Balance apart! not fair!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Red Thread Games is a new company and they've got founded with $181,346 (1M NOK) by the Norwegian government, but that's not enough to create a big scaled adventure game like Dreamfall.
Their funding only covers pre-production.

Jeez. Well, I'm a sucker so I'm in for 20, but I feel like my patience for nostalgia-based Kickstarters is starting to wear thin.

I guess in terms of adventure games, there's really no one left asking for money at this point. Unless the Williams come out of retirement and decide to make a King's Quest spinoff or something. :p

Perkel

Banned
Pretty low I think, second day is usually significantly lower than the first.

Mostly it's end of day two when things get calm. Mostly it is end of day 1 where pledges are flowing like mad. I think half of it is realistic assumption for day 2 end. It still didn't reach redit front page and most of people in US aren't aware yet.

Top Bottom