• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

pixelbox

Yeah the AA's algorithm is more accurate and DoF resolution has been increased; meaning the coverage uses smaller pixels so blur won't smear or bloom out beyond the objects it's blurring *much. You will still see shimmering with the AA because it's a post processing solution and they tend to not cover sub-pixel aliasing but it is more stable so you won't get the nervous jumping, flickering pixels around aliasing. Shadows are cleaner as well and tend to be higher in resolution in the distance or won't flicker with huge low res pixels.

It's not that it's better; it's more accurate/stable with a lot less artifacts/noise.

So, who else despises the Atom? Here are some things I have to vent:

1. It seems to accelerate much faster than the BAC Mono even though the graphical bar doesn't seem to indicate that wide a difference.
  2. Hard to catch up to it unless you have some long straights and/or lots of very tight corners.
  3. AI drivers seem to go around all but the tightest turns perfectly with it.
  4. The front wheels might as well not matter when you start to spin.
  5. You have to accelerate and brake at the same time to keep it under control when turning and often tap the handbrake to stop from spinning out.
  6. You pretty much have to learn to drift under control around tighter corners, which seems rather bizarre in this type of car.
  7. I suck at using this car.
Well, okay, not the most objective list. After about three hours, I finally finished the lightweight challenge with all of the stars. I spent about two of those hours in the second race trying to figure out how in the world the AI drivers were navigating some of those corners with such speed (no helpful rubber-banding on that track, unlike the one before it). It was a miracle when I finally finished in 3rd place with one or two nice laps to boot. Thankful I never have to use that thing again. :p

I should have used the BAC Mono, but it felt too slow on those tracks at first. Went back and got the lap time in the first race with the Mono, though. :)

Try the 458.
Here you go.

They took so long that I've forgotten which is which now, I think first one is 1.06.

https://mediacru.sh/PJWGNZOvfe28
https://mediacru.sh/sD8KAj_v9vcT

Anyway it doesn't matter because they both stopped in same spot, started from the farthest grid slot in exactly the same place. Gave it two runs on each and same thing happened.

If you're curious you can just delete the game (Options button -> Delete) then pop the game back in and boot up the retail version before it downloads the latest patch, only takes about 30 seconds or something stupid to install and your saves should be preserved - mine seemed to be as it kept the same time settings, ghost etc - if not, cloud storage!

Incidentally I did beat my own ghost to the starting point when unpatched but I dunno if that is down to braking :p

Skii

How are people doing the Venom hot lap? The best I can get is 1.18 at the moment. A lot of people suggest the hand brake for turns but whenever I do it, I enter a drift which is no doubt less time effective than just braking normally...

How are people doing the Venom hot lap? The best I can get is 1.18 at the moment. A lot of people suggest the hand brake for turns but whenever I do it, I enter a drift which is no doubt less time effective than just braking normally...
Only corner I used the handbrake on was the first corner. And I didn't use it when turning, I used it in a straight line to slow me down quicker. If that even does that.

I recommend taking it easy. It seemed better to go in slam brakes, straighten up without any gas and drive out cleanly in a straight line for maximum traction and maximum acceleration.

Try watching someone on YouTube for the lines to take too, I was able to shave a heap of time off the middle section after the long left hander.

dano1

A Sheep
I'll have to try how it feels now. Hopefully it's not a step for worse.

Someone hear tested before and after patch with the same car and said there was no difference. Maybe it was just different cars I was playing. I wish they would explain exactly what they do in each patch like GT does!

Brake more than you would expect and cut the inside of a lot of turns. You can damn near get the whole car off the track on the inside of the first 2 turns without taking a penalty and that sets up you much better to keep your speed up. It took me hours pushing it as hard as I could, but when I slowed down, I started making progress and it didn't take too long to get 1:16. I never used the handbrake. Just break hard and strait, then go into your turn. Don't brake and turn at the same time, or youre gonna have a bad time.

Also, practice at finding a clean inside line on the big right C turn, before the left>right>S turns. I was losing a ton of time because the first apex is pretty blind with no good landmark. Watch a video or two and check sector times. My times were around 22.5, 27, and 25.5 for each sector. See which one(s) are bad and work on 1 sector at a time.

Auctopus

So everyone else only gets online races with either mercedes or BMW? Kinda sick of just racing in 3 cars online. That's also when the online works.

Is it new?
DRIVECLUB™ - Detailed Weather & Photo Mode Demonstration

So, it looks like the new location has a name that sits between India and Norway in alphabetical order.
There goes Antigua?

At 15:11 in the video, new P2P track in Norway named Atlanterhavsvegen.
Damn, it was close! ;)

Also, stealth appearance of cockpit view with moving wiper.
Work in progress, unfinished and somewhat buggy, needless to say.
That looks like the pre-launch event they did that Rushy invited us on here to if we were available.

And yeah, the DLC location isn't Antigua - and yes it does come in between India and Norway. I'll give you a bonus clue, it is on the right half of the world map, have fun with your imagination :p

And yeah that is one of the DLC tracks for Norway. It isn't P2P. It is a Road Circuit. And one of the guys on here who went to it said they couldn't show it to them because they needed to wait on Norway's approval.

All I'll say is... Google image search what you just typed out :p

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is it new?

So, it looks like the new location has a name that sits between India and Norway in alphabetical order.
There goes Antigua?

Damn, it was close! ;)

There's also replay in one of the screens.

My money is on Japan for the new location. It would lend itself very well to both the location and cars from there being highly desired and anticipated.

Caffer

Neo Member
So everyone else only gets online races with either mercedes or BMW? Kinda sick of just racing in 3 cars online. That's also when the online works.
Yep.. And it's also full of idiots tonight... Everyone tries to knock me out of the street even if i move out of the way to let them pass...

benzy

Here you go.

They took so long that I've forgotten which is which now, I think first one is 1.06.

https://mediacru.sh/PJWGNZOvfe28
https://mediacru.sh/sD8KAj_v9vcT

Anyway it doesn't matter because they both stopped in same spot, started from the farthest grid slot in exactly the same place. Gave it two runs on each and same thing happened.

If you're curious you can just delete the game (Options button -> Delete) then pop the game back in and boot up the retail version before it downloads the latest patch, only takes about 30 seconds or something stupid to install and your saves should be preserved - mine seemed to be as it kept the same time settings, ghost etc - if not, cloud storage!

Incidentally I did beat my own ghost to the starting point when unpatched but I dunno if that is down to braking :p

I guess we're all just going crazy with online not working lol. I swear the braking felt different, strange.

le-seb

And yeah that is one of the DLC tracks for Norway. It isn't P2P. It is a Road Circuit.
Oops, my bad.

There's also replay in one of the screens.
Yes. Save Replay and View Replay options visible at 2:38.

My money is on Japan for the new location. It would lend itself very well to both the location and cars from there being highly desired and anticipated.
No imagination. It's New Zealand, because of the Chevron Cypher:
CypherSide2.JPG

There's no other way! :p

benzy

Is it new?

There goes Antigua?

Damn, it was close! ;)

Good find. I'm really liking the changes in physics with the cars in the wet from what I can see.

krioto

All the tracks are free DLC aren't they?

Question:

- what is the best Pagani to use on the Legend drift trial? I've aced all the other drift trials, but this one seems difficult to get 3 stars

Welp. I guess we aren't special anymore… :(
Its OK, we still know the cars (well, most of :p)

Guess you don't know the estimated release date for Japan? :(
No, we only know what is/was planned to arrive not when or why or who or how.

Maybe this will spur them on to release October's track DLC :p

Question:

- what is the best Pagani to use on the Legend drift trial? I've aced all the other drift trials, but this one seems difficult to get 3 stars
Yep, all free and I did it in the Zonda R having given up in the other one :p

benzy

Yeah, all the tracks and the new environment are free.

Zonda. More speed into drifts gives much higher scores.

Its OK, we still know the cars (well, most of :p)

No, we only know what is/was planned to arrive not when or why or who or how.

Maybe this will spur them on to release October's track DLC :p

I'm really hoping the server issues didn't cause a delay in releasing DLC content.

benzy

No idea. And yeah, was a bit sad that Antigua didn't make it, but if Japan is what we get instead, I ain't complainin'! :D

Yeah, Japan sounds awesome too. I hope we get even more new environments for the upcoming years. I was just getting bored of the game since online still disconnects me a lot and just time trialing is getting old, but this news is hyping me up again. :p

Melchiah

Someone hear tested before and after patch with the same car and said there was no difference. Maybe it was just different cars I was playing. I wish they would explain exactly what they do in each patch like GT does!

I just played several races, and I didn't notice any difference. At least not for the worse.

Damn, the semi-pro event is hard. I'm struggling to keep even among the top half.

Antigua would've been amazing but Japan will probably be incredible too. So stoked.

Playing it for the first time in a week or so. I want to say the update made it look better but I probably just forgot how beautiful this game is :D

Konosuke

Can you guys imagine if they release weather, photo mode, replays, Japan and Japanese cars in the same day? Ooohh I want it bad...

Gestault

Japan was basically my top pick for the next set up tracks. Fantastic news. I really hope that can mean some city courses as well.

I'm looking for a club just for club-car unlocks. Somebody still open for one more member?

I know I'm late, but I got DC day1 at a big discount through amazon, played it day1 for 1 1/2 hours, wasn't into it, then wanted to sell it again, but because of the discount my game is still banned from amazon marketplace (don't wanna sell on ebay or local craig's list equivalent).
Now I wanna give the game a second chance in lack of a Project CARS this year.

Thanx in advance!

LAST PLACE RUN

all cars unlocked

I was running alone with an alt account just to see what a club owner badge edit has
should still have 4 spots open as of last night

downloading update so can't tell if anyone took an invite

Skii

Brake more than you would expect and cut the inside of a lot of turns. You can damn near get the whole car off the track on the inside of the first 2 turns without taking a penalty and that sets up you much better to keep your speed up. It took me hours pushing it as hard as I could, but when I slowed down, I started making progress and it didn't take too long to get 1:16. I never used the handbrake. Just break hard and strait, then go into your turn. Don't brake and turn at the same time, or youre gonna have a bad time.

Also, practice at finding a clean inside line on the big right C turn, before the left>right>S turns. I was losing a ton of time because the first apex is pretty blind with no good landmark. Watch a video or two and check sector times. My times were around 22.5, 27, and 25.5 for each sector. See which one(s) are bad and work on 1 sector at a time.

Only corner I used the handbrake on was the first corner. And I didn't use it when turning, I used it in a straight line to slow me down quicker. If that even does that.

I recommend taking it easy. It seemed better to go in slam brakes, straighten up without any gas and drive out cleanly in a straight line for maximum traction and maximum acceleration.

Try watching someone on YouTube for the lines to take too, I was able to shave a heap of time off the middle section after the long left hander.

Thank you both for your tips. I definitely do push the car too hard in corners and should probably be more conservative to get a better line.

Also, can't wait for Japan! Really hope we get city tracks. Can't see how else you'd do Japan in track form tbh.

Auctopus

Fuck yeah to Japan, one of the countries I wanted. Hopefully, we'll get Skylines in with that too.

Now, we only need USA and the Alps.

dano1

A Sheep
I just played several races, and I didn't notice any difference. At least not for the worse.

Damn, the semi-pro event is hard. I'm struggling to keep even among the top half.

Just about to start semi-pro. I've been waiting for the leaderboards to work full time. I must say this is the best online racing game out there. So good!

Japan !!

I want a Point to point downhill map ..

I NEED THIS ...

I NEED it !

My share videos won't be the same again !

"night of fireeeeeee..."

Top Bottom