• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

benzy

My multiplayer connection is a whole lot better today, 5 races and no disconnects. Online races are loading up a lot faster too.

I was actually able to view my stats and the club stats for once - stuff like favorite track, manufacturer, etc. So that's a plus. But either my stats are way off or else I haven't tried several cars in my garage - something I'll look to rectify.

As usual, I take a break for a bit and race other games and then come back to DriveClub and the simple experience of track on road under sky just pulls me right back in. This game, man. God speed to Evo to keep those fixes coming.

pixelbox

That would explain why I thought the garage/car selection was a lot clearer.

Yeah the AA's algorithm is more accurate and DoF resolution has been increased; meaning the coverage uses smaller pixels so blur won't smear or bloom out beyond the objects it's blurring *much. You will still see shimmering with the AA because it's a post processing solution and they tend to not cover sub-pixel aliasing but it is more stable so you won't get the nervous jumping, flickering pixels around aliasing. Shadows are cleaner as well and tend to be higher in resolution in the distance or won't flicker with huge low res pixels.

Situacao

GAF, I'm confused. I'm thinking about buying Driveclub, but the only version that seems to be listed on PSN is the Driveclub PS+ Edition (the full version). As I'm a Plus member, can I buy this version while not having, obviously, the free version?

spwolf

GAF, I'm confused. I'm thinking about buying Driveclub, but the only version that seems to be listed on PSN is the Driveclub PS+ Edition (the full version). As I'm a Plus member, can I buy this version while not having, obviously, the free version?

yes, its $50

Yes, you get a $10 discount for having ps+. You don't need the free version to get it.

Famassu

Had some online races yesterday. Lost quite a few because I'm not used to Hyper cars yet (only done a couple of events after the semi pro trophy event, so haven't gotten to Hyper cars yet) and have zero experience on quite a lot of courses, but I managed to win one BAC Mono race, no thanks to the asshole who was on first place for some time in the race. Total asshole who kept trying to fuck up my race whenever I was trying to get ahead of it, so I was an asshole back and I think I managed to spin him around. No fucks given about trying to maintain sportsmanlike conduct with those kind of people. Not that I was totally faultless in all yesterday's races, but those usually weren't intentional, only when the other was being a shithead first. :p

At this point I guess the online could be called functional, but somewhat unreliable. We usually got around 2-3 races (a couple of times only after 1-2 "error connecting" messages before even the first race) before some complications kicked us out of lobbies (either me or my friend didn't make it into the same lobby, or there was some error for both of us).

pixelbox

One of the best choices you can make...

benzy

DOF and AF still look the same to me, shitty.

pre 1.05 patch
vtjwyq.jpg

post 1.06 patch
ijbntg.jpg

pre 1.05
opyyfg.jpg

post 1.06
lapfmb.jpg

What I have noticed is the braking isn't as lenient, you don't stop within 3 seconds anymore and it takes a bit longer braking to come to a full stop. Also, in photocaptures it seems the vegetation in the distance are no longer heavily dithered/aliased, especially objects rendering very thin lines? AA definitely seems improved.

pre 1.05
bybavf.jpg

post 1.06
tobkwi.jpg

Shaneus

AA is looking markedly better when comparing them directly. But something needs to be done with that AF. I've never really noticed bad AF in a game before, but you really notice it in this with the lack of road detail so close to the car.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AA is looking markedly better when comparing them directly. But something needs to be done with that AF. I've never really noticed bad AF in a game before, but you really notice it in this with the lack of road detail so close to the car.
IMO, it's completely impossible to notice AF or the lack thereof while you're racing. Even if it stronger AF would cause just 1FPS drop at odd times in this game (right now it probably has 4xAF btw), it would be worthless implementing it.

Shaneus

IMO, it's completely impossible to notice AF or the lack thereof while you're racing. Even if it stronger AF would cause just 1FPS drop at odd times in this game (right now it probably has 4xAF btw), it would be worthless implementing it.
It's pretty noticeable on tracks where there's a lot of fine detail on the roads, though... and there's enough of those in DC for it to make a difference IMO. The DRIVECLUB writing on the tracks, the number of cracks and such in the roads... maybe not while racing against other cars, but in time trials (which is where I tend to spend the majority of my time) it becomes a little distracting at times.

pixelbox

DOF and AF still look the same to me, shitty.

pre 1.05 patch
vtjwyq.jpg

post 1.06 patch
ijbntg.jpg

pre 1.05
opyyfg.jpg

post 1.06
lapfmb.jpg

What I have noticed is the braking isn't as lenient, you don't stop within 3 seconds anymore and it takes a bit longer braking to come to a full stop. Also, in photocaptures it seems the vegetation in the distance are no longer heavily dithered/aliased, especially objects rendering very thin lines? AA definitely seems improved.

pre 1.05
bybavf.jpg

post 1.06
tobkwi.jpg

The DoF is not high quality; it's no bokeh but you can really tell the difference when vegetation is blurred. There's a lot less bleeding around objects, but it's still a relatively cheap blur solution. Good to know I wasn't tripping with the AA.

garyBig

Shadows are cleaner as well and tend to be higher in resolution in the distance or won't flicker with huge low res pixels.

That was so annoying and distracting on the windscreen. Still pixellated but I'd agree it's probably better now.

Really looking forward to more small improvements such as these in the following months of support.

Shaneus

Are there definitely handling changes as well? If so, I wonder if the times for some of the tighter trials in career have been altered as well.

Are there definitely handling changes as well? If so, I wonder if the times for some of the tighter trials in career have been altered as well.
I haven't noticed any. I can't see the need either. Handling is really good and there hasn't been any mass outrage about cars except I guess the Atom but that's how it is meant to behave.

So, Best Buy has Driveclub as a demo.
TDm7yBl.jpg

Was this known? They also have a Infamous: Second Son First Light and LBP 3 demo as well.

By the way, I really sucked at driving, especially with turns. -_-

Shaneus

I haven't noticed any. I can't see the need either. Handling is really good and there hasn't been any mass outrage about cars except I guess the Atom but that's how it is meant to behave.
I'm just thinking about how some people are saying the gold on the Venom hot lap is. I haven't given it a solid go, though.

I suspect the AI has been tweaked, too. I hadn't raced it before, but in the lightweight challenge with the Mono vs the Atom, I'm dominating at the start of the last lap with around a 3 second lead over the next car.

Shaneus

Can definitely confirm the penalties have been loosened quite a bit. Had quite a bit of a tussle in the second lightweight race and light to lightish nudges from either party did not result in vehicle collision penalties. Woo!

Pretty sure AI itself has been tweaked a little as well. Definitely seem a little less dickish, but obviously I can't confirm for sure.

benzy

Can definitely confirm the penalties have been loosened quite a bit. Had quite a bit of a tussle in the second lightweight race and light to lightish nudges from either party did not result in vehicle collision penalties. Woo!

Pretty sure AI itself has been tweaked a little as well. Definitely seem a little less dickish, but obviously I can't confirm for sure.

I never got collision penalties for light touches ever since I started playing since release. :shrug

Shaneus

It's not really making it more of a sim, just balancing it out. There were certain aspects of the handling that felt right with the game and the handling, but the braking wasn't in line with that. So now it is, and the driving model is more balanced than before... it doesn't feel any less arcadey, the brakes are just a bit softer.

If you brake hard, you'll still stop fairly quickly compared to a sim and there's no skidding when doing so, you'll just need to adjust your driving lines a smidge :)

Shaneus

I'm pretty sure the difficulty's been toned down with this latest update. In each of the races for the legend trophy, I managed to beat the rest of the pack by at least 2 seconds. I'd never played for that trophy before, but should was that the case for anyone else?

If there's actually noticeable changes in graphical details they must be far along in the weather update. I don't think they'd release patches for AA if they haven't tested it with the weather?

benzy

I'm pretty sure the difficulty's been toned down with this latest update. In each of the races for the legend trophy, I managed to beat the rest of the pack by at least 2 seconds. I'd never played for that trophy before, but should was that the case for anyone else?

The legend events were surprisingly a little easier compared to some of the previous tour races. It's always been that way, I think Viveks had the same experience too.

Konosuke

I hope they improve communication with the community. They are doing a lousy job so far, we shouldn't have to be trying to guess if things changed of improved each time there's a patch.

Bluenova

Neo Member
Man this update looks pretty good. I definitely noticed horizontal AA on like roof seams, body seams and fenders needed more help. Pretty cool to hot fix it almost. I do hope they could address AF or why its not used, at least on the pavement of all things..

negitoro7

I feel extremely silly asking this because I feel like I'm missing something obvious but...

How do you play go online to play multiplayer once you click on the multiplayer tile from the main screen? I'm just stuck on the sessions 1/6 players screen and it doesn't give me the option to join a race. Or can you only race against 5 other people in your session that you create or join manually? ie., no matchmaking?

Konosuke

I feel extremely silly asking this because I feel like I'm missing something obvious but...

How do you play go online to play multiplayer once you click on the multiplayer tile from the main screen? I'm just stuck on the sessions 1/6 players screen and it doesn't give me the option to join a race. Or can you only race against 5 other people in your session that you create or join manually? ie., no matchmaking?

You need to press X again on that screen to go to the Event Browser. There you can select one event and it will hopefully matchmake you with others.

Shaneus

The legend events were surprisingly a little easier compared to some of the previous tour races. It's always been that way, I think Viveks had the same experience too.
Ah, sweet. Just have the Venom hot lap to get the last trophy now. I can see the places where I can get it, just need to shave 1.2 seconds by putting it all together.

NHale

Braking is definitely harder now. I use to test cars on the Scotland Race Track 2 and now I have to brake a lot earlier for the last hairpin with the same car.

I like it better now since it's harder and cars are more unstable under braking but leaderboards times should be reset. I simply can't be as fast as I was before the patch when I have to brake 200m before.

Top Bottom