• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

This game has the best feeling. It's a joy to control once I put in a half hour getting the "feel".

Definitely grabbing the full version once I finish a couple outstanding holdouts (Last of Us, etc)

lifa-cobex

Trying the ps+ version and I have mixed feelings about it.

I enjoyed GT5 and thought this might be in the same reams of a driving sim but for some reason, i'm just not gelling with it.
To say I got pretty good at GT back when, I suck at this game. I feel like i'm having to re-learn cornering and drifting.
Obviously it's not the same game but like I said, I imagined it would be more in the same realms.
Perhaps it's just me.

The game looks fantastic. Even when i'm blinded by the rain I still love the heavy effect it gives.

I wouldn't say the AI is overly aggressive but sometimes it's like it doesn't even register you. A couple of times Iv tried to overtake/ undertake on a corner and its like the AI is still taking its set path around the corner (me being in the direct path) and not adjusting the path to correct itself/ tackle around me.
For my last race I was on a straight and it was like the AI car was just slowly coursing into me. Like i wasn't even there. "da fuc!"

Still it's early days for me. Fun either way.

Bold One

Yh, I will also echo the sentiments of some posters here, the AI is warped to the point of being broken.

Evo had similar issues with Motorstorm, but its amplified in DC tenfold

Synth

Yh, I will also echo the sentiments of some posters here, the AI is warped to the point of being broken.

Evo had similar issues with Motorstorm, but its amplified in DC tenfold

Eh? Motorstorm (specifically Pacific Rift) was a million time worse. It's one of the few times where I've settled for not winning every race purely out of frustration.

nib95

Banned
This. Progressive throttle, feathering lift off the throttle and progressive braking all make a huge difference in sims as well as in DC.

Pretty much. Even though ABS is on, many cars respond in a very haphazard way if you brake or accelerate too harshly, losing traction, wheel spinning, drifting, swerving to one side etc, all things that cost precious time.

Grewitch

I honestly believe people have no clue how to approach this game, especially if they've never played GRID or PGR. So first thing people are doing is driving like its Need For Speed.

Literally, if you've played Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo, take that same exact approach and directly apply it to Driveclub and you will get through the tour with relative ease.

Brake ONLY on straights, not during turns.

Hit the Apex of each turn and accelerate out.

Feather the gas during sweeping wide turns.

Properly apply the same counter steering techniques from sims when a spin out is coming.

Done. You will win. Literally apply those techniques to each car (since this is not a hardcore sim) and you will be a ok. I would LOVE, just LOVE to see gameplay from all the people posting saying the game is too hard or this that or the other and I would love to give constructive criticisms on what they are doing wrong and what they can EASILY improve upon. But nah, apparently its easier to continue to whine when hundreds of thousands of people have completed several tours already and the online community is still present and enjoying the game.

I'm not good at racing games, I played Burnout for two sessions, and never played it again, for example.

So what do you think: There's hope for me, right?

I can just about drive straight now.

Abdiel

I loaded this up, played the first race and laughed at myself at how bad I did. I amam not good at racing games.

I used to clean house in cruisin world on my n64, and I'm pretty good at wipeout 2048, but those are outliers. Game is pretty as Hell. And I'm okay being bad at it.

Melchiah

That's not what I was saying though! :(

Just imagine we're not talking about Driveclub here, but instead an SNK fighter at max difficulty, and in order to complete it you need to defeat every character without sustaining a hit. Someone, somewhere will be able to do it, and then Mabufu gets to come along and say:

If the AI was a problem, no one could ever complete the game.

Just the people being unable to get into the frame data or the mechanics.
Better shit on the game than in own skills.

Basically, you couldn't ever criticize the AI of any game unless it was legitimately impossible to ever beat.

Ah, I took it that the point was clean race trophy being supposedly overtly hard to get due to the aggressive AI. And that's not the case. DC isn't hard to platinum, but it's hard to reach the upper stages in the tours. That's more to do with the player skills than the AI's aggressiveness. I'm not a very skilled racer, yet I was able to reach the pro stage of the initial tour by practising and getting better. If I can do it, anyone can.

I don't get why a racing game is compared to a fighting game though.

Synth

Ah, I took it that the point was clean race trophy being supposedly overtly hard to get due to the aggressive AI. And that's not the case. DC isn't hard to platinum, but it's hard to reach the upper stages in the tours. That's more to do with the player skills than the AI's aggressiveness. I'm not a very skilled racer, yet I was able to reach the pro stage of the initial tour by practising and getting better. If I can do it, anyone can.

I don't get why a racing game is compared to a fighting game though.

It's because fighters are just what tends to come to mind automatically for me, lol. SNK bosses are sufficiently famous enough that I figured my exaggerated example would make sense to everyone.

Melchiah

It's because fighters are just what tends to come to mind automatically for me, lol. SNK bosses are sufficiently famous enough that I figured my exaggerated example would make sense to everyone.

Fair enough. I don't recall playing a single SNK game, as I'm not really fan of fighting games. So, it was lost on me. :)

BTW, I haven't been able to reach the upper stages in the DLC tours. So, they're definitely more demanding than the initial one, partly due to the weather. I'm not blaming the AI for that though, like some posters seemingly are for not being able to progress upwards.

JCtheMC

Sounds like u are terrible at the game and actually blame the game for it.

ah yes, the "game isn't very good" vs. "lol u suck argument" - this one is going nowhere. Had that one a little too many times regarding other games and it never works out.

How is online pay to win..?
Especially if you already bought the game.
And if you think the AI cheats.. well, I'm sorry, but that means you're bad at driving.

When some of the best cars for certain tracks are DLC, it becomes pay to win.

I rank in the top 2500 for a number of the "career" events, so i'm going to venture that i'm not "bad at driving"

The Ai cheats : Lol , no ..get good instead.

When, on an event where all the AI opponents are in the same car as the player, and the player is not able to take the same corner at the same angle and the same speed as the AI without the rear end going, or just totally unable to hold the same line, the AI is cheating imo. This happens in this game.

[The difficulty curve is all over the place : nonsense again. the campaign is made in order to teach you about how you drive, if you play the events in order you won't have events that are overly difficult since those are used to teach you about the game mecanics properly.

Except.. that did happen to me. As mentioned, in some events i'm in the top 2500. Some events (for example the Bentley only one of the basic career) i can't even get 1 of the 3 event stars.

I will admit that i might've been frustrated at the time of my initial post, but i'm going to stand by my opinion that the driving model in this game just isn't good. I do think the way the event challenges are setup keep this game interesting if you like the driving model. I like Project CARS driving model a whole lot more but its career mode is just boring to me.

Synth

Fair enough. I don't recall playing a single SNK game, as I'm not really fan of fighting games. So, it was lost on me. :)

BTW, I haven't been able to reach the upper stages in the DLC tours. So, they're definitely more demanding than the initial one, partly due to the weather. I'm not blaming the AI for that though, like some posters seemingly are for not being able to progress upwards.

I don't have any of the DLC content (other than Ignition and Photo Finish), so I can't really say much about them. I did play through the Startline tour though, and didn't have any trouble with anything in that, including Dam Busters. I imagine Venom Hot Lap 2 will probably be the DLC event that I'd struggle most with.

Melchiah

I don't have any of the DLC content (other than Ignition and Photo Finish), so I can't really say much about them. I did play through the Startline tour though, and didn't have any trouble with anything in that, including Dam Busters. I imagine Venom Hot Lap 2 will probably be the DLC event that I'd struggle most with.

I have only 2 of the 5 trophies for both Photo Finish and Ignition. Lamborghini Icons has so far been the easiest of the DLC tours for me. I have a bronze medal from the initial tour's Venom Hot Lap, but I haven't unlocked the 2nd one yet.

nordique

Might just be me but I was, overall, pretty disappointed with the graphics. Maybe I don't play enough racing games but I didn't think environments nor effects were up to par with say Project Cars. A few angles aside it doesn't blow me away at all.

The mechanics though are quite fun, I didn't realize how much id enjoy the arcadey feel. Very fun to drive the cars in this game.

Might just be me but I was, overall, pretty disappointed with the graphics. Maybe I don't play enough racing games but I didn't think environments nor effects were up to par with say Project Cars. A few angles aside it doesn't blow me away at all.

The mechanics though are quite fun, I didn't realize how much id enjoy the arcadey feel. Very fun to drive the cars in this game.

Depends on the track really; some maps look much better than others. Also, the weather is another factor too. For example, India looks pretty rough as far as image quality (AA can be a tad rough) and "blandness" goes (I use the latter term loosely considering that's how it just is regarding the time of day, still looks fantastic tho IMO).

But when you put it at night in the rain, or even just the rain by itself, it appears to look much "better" (it's a bit like the different pics of Nathan Drake in different lighting conditions, in bright light, his face appears to look better even though, objectively speaking, they are all technically the same because the lighting engine is consistent; but one picture just appears a tad more "dull" than the other even if they're all realistically simulated).

That's my way of looking at it. Also agreed on the second part; absolutely love the driving and arcade-y feel, yet realistic feel at the same time. A nice cross over between a sim and arcade racers IMO, absolutely love turning corners and successfully doing so.

wowlace

This...just start slow, drive the track like you would in real life driving, then go a little faster, the faster, feel out the boundaries of the car and by the time you do that, you'll have the track memorized, which will pay dividends.

Edit..and skip dam busters until you are sure you are good...I have a few hundred stars in the game and this one was a bear, I got all three stars (time and challenge ones were not bad), but that'd top 3 on this event star was legit hard. I have to assume they couldnt make it rain harder in the gave, if they did we'd need boats (hmmmm)

Haha I finished last the 1st time tried it. God damn that rain.

ah yes, the "game isn't very good" vs. "lol u suck argument" - this one is going nowhere. Had that one a little too many times regarding other games and it never works out.
Going by your claims, it' easy to think that .

I rank in the top 2500 for a number of the "career" events, so i'm going to venture that i'm not "bad at driving"
Best car for certain tracks ? there is no "best car" for certains tracks. Every car in a online event give you a fair chance to win. Some car have some advantages in certains situation ( like better accelleration) but it's always compensated by a much harder handling or the weight of the car that make you vulnerable to either players of the weather changes.

There is no "best car" in the game. There is however a "faster cars" category that doesn't even give you an overwhelming advantage except during time attacks.
Picking a dlc car isn't a "win" button.
When, on an event where all the AI opponents are in the same car as the player, and the player is not able to take the same corner at the same angle and the same speed as the AI without the rear end going, or just totally unable to hold the same line, the AI is cheating imo. This happens in this game.
Nonsense. Everything the ai does, you can do.
^^ this is not up to debate. The AI behavior and the handling mecanics have been observed since launch.
Except.. that did happen to me. As mentioned, in some events i'm in the top 2500. Some events (for example the Bentley only one of the basic career) i can't even get 1 of the 3 event stars.

I will admit that i might've been frustrated at the time of my initial post, but i'm going to stand by my opinion that the driving model in this game just isn't good. I do think the way the event challenges are setup keep this game interesting if you like the driving model. I like Project CARS driving model a whole lot more but its career mode is just boring to me.

When you hit a wall , just go back to earlier races and practise. There are some tough events like "punching above your weight" that require a deep understanding of the bentley in order to suceed , but it's just that , learn how to drive that car , and it's a peace of cake.

You could, like ignore that event for now , drive more with the bentley , and then go back to it for 100% completion.

DC love aside...you have some catch up to do 😎

Synth

Best car for certain tracks ? there is no "best car" for certains tracks.

There's always a best car for any given track, regardless of what game we're discussing. The only way for there not to be would be for every car to be identical. A faster car being more difficult to drive only makes it more likely that fewer players will actively pick the best car.. but if you can drive it, then it's the best choice.

There's always a best car for any given track, regardless of what game we're discussing. The only way for there not to be would be for every car to be identical. A faster car being more difficult to drive only makes it more likely that fewer players will actively pick the best car.. but if you can drive it, then it's the best choice.

my full argument is that online is not pay to win, because of the requirement for each race.

If you take only this (small) part of my sentence, then yes i agree with you ...but that's not what i was saying really.

Synth

my full argument is that online is not pay to win, because of the requirement for each race.

If you take only this part of my sentence, then yes i agree with you ...but that's not what i was saying really.

Sure. I do have a tendency to nitpick small bits of posts I disagree with. I don't disagree with your post as a whole.

Just a FYI. The events from Startline are all (much) easier versions of what are in the actual DLC. I gave Dam Busters a test the other day and it was very easy, the actual event is much harder especially if you choose a less powerful car but nothing much harder than what is in the main tour. The only difficulty I find comes from putting in the time to get all stars on all events but then again difficulty is going to be unique to different players.

Synth

Just a FYI. The events from Startline are all (much) easier versions of what are in the actual DLC. I gave Dam Busters a test the other day and it was very easy, the actual event is much harder especially if you choose a less powerful car but nothing much harder than what is in the main tour. The only difficulty I find comes from putting in the time to get all stars on all events but then again difficulty is going to be unique to different players.

Yea, I've got 3 stars in all events that I have access to.

Interesting the the startline stuff are easier versions. If they were going to adjust the difficulty, then they should have brought it waaaay down, as it's currently not very accomodating for a new player.

I'll probably pick up the season pass if it goes on sale at some point (in the UK... which lowers the chances a bit).

t_berta

Neo Member
Been playing a bit of the ps plus version. Wasn't enjoying it at first and though I'd just need some time to get the hang of it, been playing it for a few hours every day and I think it's just an atrocious game, not enjoyable in the slightest.

I regret paying €25 for this game... it's awful. It seems like Evolution couldn't make up its made if it wanted to offer a sim or an arcade game, the AI cheats and is outright stupid. The controls are... i don't know what the fuck they are. "Good" wouldn't be a word to describe them though. Part of online is pay to win, and it seems like the offline mode is too... the difficulty curve is all over the place. Game does look great though. So there's that. If only it were fun too.

Wow, so much bullshit in one post. The AI never cheats, it will however drive at the upper and lower ends of the cars ability to enable you to catch up or for it to catch you up. But it will never go outside of what the car is capable of. So if the AI can get around a corner at 150MPH so could you.

Pay to win? Not really sure where that comes in to it, unless you are suggesting that the DLC/Season pass cars are better than the free offerings that are given each month too. I would say that most things are pretty balanced when it comes to base game and DLC.

Kysen

This is a huge problem most evident in the time trials. Even in the same car doing a rolling start you will be behind. Even worse when the game speeds up the ai at certain points to be able to fit within a target time(phantom boosts). Any time you are on a long straight expect the ai to gain time on you easily.

This is a huge problem most evident in the time trials. Even in the same car doing a rolling start you will be behind. Even worse when the game speeds up the ai at certain points to be able to fit within a target time(phantom boosts). Any time you are on a long straight expect the ai to gain time on you easily.

In which case the AI had a better exit speed on the previous corner. There is nothing untoward going on with the AI and it's speeds.

I never had this issue with DC. The ghost is faster on the rolling start cause the ghost's time wasn't from the rolling start. The ghost is using a faster speed from the previous lap, not the speed from the rolling start. The rolling start speed isn't optimum.

The AI is faster on the long straight precisely because it took a better line out of the corner and hence, gets to align straight to accelerate earlier. Find a more optimum line out of the corner.

Nafai1123

Banned

Sorry, but this entire post is BS. People have been playing this game for a long time, we know how the ai works.

Edit: what they said ^^^^

Tried the first couple Startline events and damn they are easy compared to the more recent dlc. Guess I'll have to try that damnbuster everyone's been talking about.

You do realize that's not strictly an AI car? Just a ghost that gives you an idea of your position compared to the starred times, one that follows the same line every time. Personally I switch off ghosts in time trials, far too distracting.

desu

I never had this issue with DC. The ghost is faster on the rolling start cause the ghost's time wasn't from the rolling start. The ghost is using a faster speed from the previous lap, not the speed from the rolling start. The rolling start speed isn't optimum.

This so much, not sure how people cannot grasp that (if they have played the game).

MMaRsu

Banned
Been playing a bit of the ps plus version. Wasn't enjoying it at first and though I'd just need some time to get the hang of it, been playing it for a few hours every day and I think it's just an atrocious game, not enjoyable in the slightest.

Atrocious? Such hyperbole

Oh I agree, I've detested every level I've climbed up to 60 and all the challenges we've had on this forum, game sux! /s

Not sure how the hell this game can be considered atrocious?

GenericUser

I tried the plus version, was left a little diappointed I have to say.

I guess I am done with 30 fps rubberband racers....

Not even the graphics are that special if you ask me. Going back to project cars, I find that the far superor racer. Driveclub is pure arcade, something like NFS and I didn't like that one as well. Sorry, can't say I liked what I played.

Celegus

Well, still don't like racing games. I played for an hour or two and was pretty pumped when I did a turn without hitting a wall. Most of the time the car just wanted to spin in circles. Not the game's fault I assume, but racing games above Mario Kart are just completely untouchable and alien to me. Which is exactly what I thought would happen, but hopefully other people out there are having fun with it.

Anarion07

I rank in the top 2500 for a number of the "career" events, so i'm going to venture that i'm not "bad at driving".

Well i rank in the top 10 or 20 for a number of "career" events, so I'm going to venture that I know quite well that the AI doesn't cheat and that you can take the corners just as well as they can.

Putty

Not even the graphics are that special if you ask me. Going back to project cars, I find that the far superor racer. Driveclub is pure arcade, something like NFS and I didn't like that one as well. Sorry, can't say I liked what I played.

/s

Stacey

Banned

Driveby shit posting at its best.

Driveclub really does bring out the worst in people

AMC124c41

Neo Member
Well i rank in the top 10 or 20 for a number of "career" events, so I'm going to venture that I know quite well that the AI doesn't cheat and that you can take the corners just as well as they can.

I found the AI to be pushovers, you just get past them in the first three corners and then go on your merry way :)

Well, still don't like racing games. I played for an hour or two and was pretty pumped when I did a turn without hitting a wall. Most of the time the car just wanted to spin in circles. Not the game's fault I assume, but racing games above Mario Kart are just completely untouchable and alien to me. Which is exactly what I thought would happen, but hopefully other people out there are having fun with it.

Without wanting to make you feel dumb, you are hitting the standard brake and not the hard brake right? The slower cars certainly shouldn't be trying to spin in circles just taking corners.

Melchiah

DC love aside...you have some catch up to do 😎

Nah, fighting games aren't really my thing.

Not this BS again. There's no rubberbanding if you're in the lead.

As for Project Cars, based on the screenshot thread and the videos I've seen it looks really bland. It's like Driveclub with only race tracks, without the variation the P2Ps and road circuits offer.

Top Bottom