• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

Synth

wait, so now the AI is like Mortal Kombat...................?

wut.

I just meant that in Mortal Kombat the AI generally lets you beat them until you've proven to be successful at it. Then it'll fuck you up by playing to the best of it's ability, before dialing it back down if you can't handle that. It's always beatable, but the the game's often not even trying to be a challenge.

Maybe I'm impatient but I uninstalled it immediately after finishing the first race in second last place.

A powerful, tail happy RWD car at night in icy conditions? Welcome to the game? Nah.

MMaRsu

Banned
I've been playing since launch of the full version and yes, the AI is overly aggressive causing wrecks constantly. I really dislike these issues because fanboys or the God-tier players act like these things don't happen. If they didn't happen you, wouldnt have people saying anything.

Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a different game with how some people pretend these things never occur to them.

They happen, but not as often if some posters are to be believed. I actually rarely get spun out, then again im mostly in the top 3 even on legend

MMaRsu

Banned
I completely agree. I had high hopes for Driveclub's driving model given the praise it's received on GAF, but it's not for me.

Driveclub is confused. It doesn't know whether it is an arcade racer or a sim. I feel Horizon has nailed the perfect balance with it's driving model.

Graphics sure look pretty though.

Sure it does, youre just not good at it yet.

A good racing game takes practice. This isnt a full on sim but the handling isnt arcade in the slightest.

nib95

Banned
I took a break from the game as I've been playing ProjectCars and Witcher 3, and as soon as I started DC back up a few days ago, I basically sucked lol. Went from posting top 10, 20, 50 and 100 times in the world, to basically being able to pull off sweet f all. Took me a good few hours to re-ajust and get back in my stride. The game is not easy. Every car behaves differently, and the physics are surprisingly deep and rewarding. Honestly, practise, practise, practise.

Heimbeck

Banned
To all the people complaining about the AI, please upload a video of one full race that you think has examples of poor AI. Not a cherry picked single example, but an entire race. I am almost certain the vast majority of instances of issue will be due to player error, and that the player themselves will be the one driving by far the most recklessly and aggressively during the race.

What you learn from online multiplayer racing is that real drivers are about a 1000 times more aggressive and reckless than the AI drivers in the game, which kind of makes the complaint all the more amusing.

I'm not going to say it happens often, and if fuck up and drop down to tenth it a race I wouldn't have a problem with that, but there are moments when the AI knocks you off track with no fault from you.

It doesn't happen enough to be a huge issue but it a pain in the ass when it happens.

Kysen

I really wish we could have a room browser like Project Cars. I just wanna drive the Bac mono and nothing else in multiplayer. That car handles like a dream (catterham also). I've been exclusively running the PS+ rooms because of this.

IKizzLE

Man, I would like to counter the common sentiment here and say driveclub is pretty fair and the game is actually easy. I actually want to make the game harder than it currently is. Since day 1, it's been easy. In fact, games such as forza motorsport, gt and arcade racers such as midnight club 3 are far harder, and thus why the two former have so many aids to help.

Just sounds like people are so used to crutches in their racing games(rewind, braking lines, stability management). But I will sympathize with ps plus users because your definitely thrown into the deep end with the startline tour. Bad move on EVO s part. Difficulty options would've been great as well, so people can ease into it better and for my case, make it much harder.

GodofWine

Honestly, practise, practise, practise.

This...just start slow, drive the track like you would in real life driving, then go a little faster, the faster, feel out the boundaries of the car and by the time you do that, you'll have the track memorized, which will pay dividends.

Edit..and skip dam busters until you are sure you are good...I have a few hundred stars in the game and this one was a bear, I got all three stars (time and challenge ones were not bad), but that'd top 3 on this event star was legit hard. I have to assume they couldnt make it rain harder in the gave, if they did we'd need boats (hmmmm)

JCtheMC

I regret paying €25 for this game... it's awful. It seems like Evolution couldn't make up its made if it wanted to offer a sim or an arcade game, the AI cheats and is outright stupid. The controls are... i don't know what the fuck they are. "Good" wouldn't be a word to describe them though. Part of online is pay to win, and it seems like the offline mode is too... the difficulty curve is all over the place. Game does look great though. So there's that. If only it were fun too.

pastrami

Huh, I've put a few hours into the game, and I thought the AI was actually pretty decent. And if the startline tour is on the harder side compared to the main game, it seems very doable with a little practice. I was actually worried because I assumed that the startline tour would be on the easier side. I'll make a full decision on the final product when I finish the startline tour, but so far I'm enjoying the game.

desu

I regret paying €25 for this game... it's awful. It seems like Evolution couldn't make up its made if it wanted to offer a sim or an arcade game, the AI cheats and is outright stupid. The controls are... i don't know what the fuck they are. "Good" wouldn't be a word to describe them though. Part of online is pay to win, and it seems like the offline mode is too... the difficulty curve is all over the place. Game does look great though. So there's that. If only it were fun too.

Truly the Dark Souls of racing games, judging by all these comments.

Nyx

Huh, I've put a few hours into the game, and I thought the AI was actually pretty decent. And if the startline tour is on the harder side compared to the main game, it seems very doable with a little practice. I was actually worried because I assumed that the startline tour would be on the easier side. I'll make a full decision on the final product when I finish the startline tour, but so far I'm enjoying the game.

Let us know after you played the Dam Busters event, if that doesn't sell the game I don't know what else will.

MMaRsu

Banned

Sounds like u are terrible at the game and actually blame the game for it.

This is some silly logic. People can beat old Mortal Kombat and SNK fighters, but that doens't mean the AI in those weren't absolute bullshit. Some people have AAA'd everything in Sega Superstars Tennis, but that doesn't stop many of the challenges being disgustingly diffilcult, and even legitimately impossible at times (dependent on a few random factors).

Now, I'm not saying Driveclub is like these (although its AI does share some similarities to how Mortal Kombat's is handled), but claiming that people being able to beat it means there isn't any issues is ridiculous.
There is a trophy for running a clean race and finish in top 3, I think that's what they meant by no one platinuming the game, if the AI was so completely bonkers all the time people would be struggling with that trophy.

Anarion07

How is online pay to win..?
Especially if you already bought the game.
And if you think the AI cheats.. well, I'm sorry, but that means you're bad at driving.

I've been playing since launch of the full version and yes, the AI is overly aggressive causing wrecks constantly. I really dislike these issues because fanboys or the God-tier players act like these things don't happen. If they didn't happen you, wouldnt have people saying anything.

Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a different game with how some people pretend these things never occur to them.

Sometimes i wonder if some people are even trying.
You have people that tell you that the drivers are stuck on their lines and you have people saying that the ai is causing wrecks( impossible if they are always on their lines)
My answer ? Yes the ai can cause wrecks ,but it doesn't always cause wrecks.
If you are part of a wreck, you still have a chance , because the Ai will drive slower afterwards ..
So in practice , it's not even an issue.
I'll add that avoiding those "accidents" is possible , if you have a basic understanding of your car..it's not a trap that the game make you fall in that will prevent a player from winning a race.

The Ai cheats : Lol , no ..get good instead.
Online is pay to win : nonsense since the events are carefully made in order to have a selection of car within the same range for each track.Having a season pass car doesn't give you an advantage over the rest of the racers.
Right now there are events with 3 cars , 1 in the base game, 1 free dlc and 1 season pass dlc. All for balance in order for every racer to have a chance.
The difficulty curve is all over the place : nonsense again. the campaign is made in order to teach you about how you drive, if you play the events in order you won't have events that are overly difficult since those are used to teach you about the game mecanics properly.

Nafai1123

Banned
It seems like the difficulty of the Startline tour was a mistake. They should open up access to the first tour which doesn't contain any weather. It's a much more forgiving introduction to the game (even though it doesn't look as purty).

Vaga

Must be really frustrating to suck at a game and vent out on stupid assumptions.

It seems like the difficulty of the Startline tour was a mistake. They should open up access to the first tour which doesn't contain any weather. It's a much more forgiving introduction to the game (even though it doesn't look as purty).
The thing with Startline is, is they reduced the requirements for the stars compared to the original event.

So take Mini Adventure, in the DLC event you need a lap time of 1:26, 1:29 and 1:35. In Startline you need 1:29.5, 1:33 and 1:38. That's quite big chunks added on.

I think people just aren't giving it enough time.

This is the new Driveclub 'Bingo' now the Plus edition is finally available, isn't it?

The thing with Startline is, is they reduced the requirements for the stars compared to the original event.

So take Mini Adventure, in the DLC event you need a lap time of 1:26, 1:29 and 1:35. In Startline you need 1:29.5, 1:33 and 1:38. That's quite big chunks added on.

I think people just aren't giving it enough time.

The other idea of the startline tour was to give a taste of "rain" events to those who didn't have the season pass for the main game , after all it's also available for regular users.

But i understand your point, maybe events from the regular tour would have been better as well.

Afrikan

For all those complaining about how hard the game is and that is why it *sucks*... do yall have the balls to record some of your gameplay? Would love to see how some of yall drive in this game.

Just hit the share button....that at least shouldn't be too hard.

stay gold

I don't think the AI 'cheats' at all. It's quite refreshing to be in a battle for position the entire race (I love FH2, but I never came close to not winning a race, like not even once), what it does mean, in these beginning stages at least, is that i'll have to replay races a few times to learn the track before I actually start to focus on overtaking and winning. Not an issue for me as I love racing games, but I can see why some would be put off (however you shouldn't blame the game for you own impatience :p)

I don't think the AI 'cheats' at all. It's quite refreshing to be in a battle for position the entire race (I love FH2, but I never came close to not winning a race, like not even once), what it does mean, in these beginning stages at least, is that i'll have to replay races a few times to learn the track before I actually start to focus on overtaking and winning. Not an issue for me as I love racing games, but I can see why some would be put off (however you shouldn't blame the game for you own impatience :p)

I actually agree with this. I tried the PS+ version and thought the game was pretty fare, I felt that when I screw it it was because I took a curve to aggressively or not aggressively enough and lost positions because the AI knew how to do it better.

I thought it was an incredible experience I can't remember the last time I felt I actually won a race on a racing game and not just that the AI was borderline stupid or not aggressive enough. Also when I seem to be on the zone the game feels more regarding than other racing games I tried so far without going full simulation.

IKizzLE

For all those complaining about how hard the game is and that is why it *sucks*... do yall have the balls to record some of your gameplay? Would love to see how some of yall drive in this game.

Just hit the share button....that at least shouldn't be too hard.

I honestly believe people have no clue how to approach this game, especially if they've never played GRID or PGR. So first thing people are doing is driving like its Need For Speed.

Literally, if you've played Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo, take that same exact approach and directly apply it to Driveclub and you will get through the tour with relative ease.

Brake ONLY on straights, not during turns.

Hit the Apex of each turn and accelerate out.

Feather the gas during sweeping wide turns.

Properly apply the same counter steering techniques from sims when a spin out is coming.

Done. You will win. Literally apply those techniques to each car (since this is not a hardcore sim) and you will be a ok. I would LOVE, just LOVE to see gameplay from all the people posting saying the game is too hard or this that or the other and I would love to give constructive criticisms on what they are doing wrong and what they can EASILY improve upon. But nah, apparently its easier to continue to whine when hundreds of thousands of people have completed several tours already and the online community is still present and enjoying the game.

Synth

There is a trophy for running a clean race and finish in top 3, I think that's what they meant by no one platinuming the game, if the AI was so completely bonkers all the time people would be struggling with that trophy.

Nah, they'd just run one lap behind the rest of the AI, then have the dynamic AI allow them to catch up on the remaining laps. If a similar achievment was retroactively added to Manx TT Superbike, I'd be able to get it. That game's got the most bullshit AI ever though.

I don't think the AI 'cheats' at all. It's quite refreshing to be in a battle for position the entire race (I love FH2, but I never came close to not winning a race, like not even once), what it does mean, in these beginning stages at least, is that i'll have to replay races a few times to learn the track before I actually start to focus on overtaking and winning.)

Ok, now this is interesting. There's been pretty much not a single race that I've struggled on in Driveclub. The most chalenging it's been for me is either the Venom hotlap (that took maybe 10 laps) and some of the drifting challenges. The actual races I won pretty every one on first attempt...

...yet I don't play FH2 (or any Forza game for that matter) on the highest difficulty, as that just usually ends with me losing constantly and getting frustrated with my lack of progress. I wonder how we're having such reversed experiences.

ZangBa

I don't mind that the game is challenging, it's kind of refreshing and the only reason I played it again, because I like a good challenge in every game. It's unfortunate I just don't find it particularly fun to play.

Well looks like this game isn't for you just like some games are not for some people. But don't blame the game if you are not good at it or don't put enough time to get good. I sucked at it when I started but I am getting better as I play more. For me this is the most fun I had with a racing game since Burnout series (before Paradise hate that open world crap).

I am addicted to the drifting challenges ... its just so awesome to pull a long perfect drift :)

Nah, they'd just run one lap behind the rest of the AI, then have the dynamic AI allow them to catch up on the remaining laps. If a similar achievment was retroactively added to Manx TT Superbike, I'd be able to get it. That game's got the most bullshit AI ever though.
What would that achieve? You still have to pass at least 9 AI, and now you've got to do it with them more bunched up.

Synth

What would that achieve? You still have to pass at least 9 AI, and now you've got to do it with them more bunched up.

Ah my bad. I read "clean lap" instead of clean race. Yea, that's different. In that case though, It'd probably be done on one of the earliest, easiest races.

I still don't think it means a whole lot though. You'd still essentially be arguing that because something is possible, there's nothing wrong with it. Someone somewhere can beat Battletoads without a single death. Doesn't mean it isn't fucked up.

pastrami

Ok, now this is interesting. There's been pretty much not a single race that I've struggled on in Driveclub. The most chalenging it's been for me is either the Venom hotlap (that took maybe 10 laps) and some of the drifting challenges. The actual races I won pretty every one on first attempt...

...yet I don't play FH2 (or any Forza game for that matter) on the highest difficulty, as that just usually ends with me losing constantly and getting frustrated with my lack of progress. I wonder how we're having such reversed experiences.

Good thing both consoles have share functionality, right? Would love to see an example of this, if either of you feel inclined to do so. Because it sounds like you are each savants at one game, but pretty mediocre at the other.

Synth

Good thing both consoles have share functionality, right? Would love to see an example of this, if either of you feel inclined to do so. Because it sounds like you are each savants at one game, but pretty mediocre at the other.

I'm up for it I guess, but I'm not sure how useful it'd be on my end. I can very easily demonstrate being able to consistently win in Driveclub... but I'm not sure how you'd verify that I'm truly unable to do the same in Forza.

Ah my bad. I read "clean lap" instead of clean race. Yea, that's different. In that case though, It'd probably be done on one of the earliest, easiest races.

I still don't think it means a whole lot though. You'd still essentially be arguing that because something is possible, there's nothing wrong with it. Someone somewhere can beat Battletoads without a single death. Doesn't mean it isn't fucked up.

I've done "clean race " on a event in the 4th campaign of the main game.
Clean race is harder on some small races but it's certainly doable.
It's a challenge for a reason.

Synth

Yea, I've done it myself (no idea when I did it, but I have it unlocked). I'm just saying that something being possible doesn't mean it's reasonable. It was more of a general point, rather than referring to Driveclub specifically.

Melchiah

I got my clean race trophy on Cayoosh Point. It's perfectly doable on longer and harder races. 10.5% of players have the trophy, which isn't that rare for a late game gold trophy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I got this one by accident early on when I was not trying for it. So it will come if you play, and sometimes you get it without trying.

Finally someone admits their lack of skill rather than blame the game's mechanics.

Refreshing.

Tripolygon

Banned
To all the people complaining about the AI, please upload a video of one full race that you think has examples of poor AI. Not a cherry picked single example, but an entire race. I am almost certain the vast majority of instances of issue will be due to player error, and that the player themselves will be the one driving by far the most recklessly and aggressively during the race.

What you learn from online multiplayer racing is that real drivers are about a 1000 times more aggressive and reckless than the AI drivers in the game, which kind of makes the complaint all the more amusing.
The consoles can record gameplay and it is fairly easy to upload directly to YouTube or Facebook. I own the game and i'm not very good at it either. But it is a fun game nonetheless.

Synth

I got my clean race trophy on Cayoosh Point. It's perfectly doable on longer and harder races. 10.5% of players have the trophy, which isn't that rare for a late game gold trophy.

Yea, I think my point got lost somewhere. I'm not saying it ridiculously difficult to get (I have it, and have never even tried for it), but it could be so difficult that only 3 people in the world manage it, and it would still be possible. Possibility doesn't make something fine.

Melchiah

Yea, I think my point got lost somewhere. I'm not saying it ridiculously difficult to get (I have it, and have never even tried for it), but it could be so difficult that only 3 people in the world manage it, and it would still be possible. Possibility doesn't make something fine.

But you, and I, got it without even trying it. That's hardly a sign of something being impossibly hard due to the aggressive AI.

Glad to see everyone give the game a second chance after first impressions didn't go so well.

Sony usually announced every first party title that hits a million, really thought the good word-of-mouth would have boosted sales for the title. Curious as to how much it sold overall.

Synth

But you, and I, got it without even trying it. That's hardly a sign of something being impossibly hard due to the aggressive AI.

That's not what I was saying though! :(

Just imagine we're not talking about Driveclub here, but instead an SNK fighter at max difficulty, and in order to complete it you need to defeat every character without sustaining a hit. Someone, somewhere will be able to do it, and then Mabufu gets to come along and say:

If the AI was a problem, no one could ever complete the game.

Just the people being unable to get into the frame data or the mechanics.
Better shit on the game than in own skills.

Basically, you couldn't ever criticize the AI of any game unless it was legitimately impossible to ever beat.

GodofWine

I honestly believe people have no clue how to approach this game, especially if they've never played GRID or PGR. So first thing people are doing is driving like its Need For Speed.

Literally, if you've played Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo, take that same exact approach and directly apply it to Driveclub and you will get through the tour with relative ease.

Brake ONLY on straights, not during turns.

Hit the Apex of each turn and accelerate out.

Feather the gas during sweeping wide turns.

Properly apply the same counter steering techniques from sims when a spin out is coming.

Done. You will win. Literally apply those techniques to each car (since this is not a hardcore sim) and you will be a ok. I would LOVE, just LOVE to see gameplay from all the people posting saying the game is too hard or this that or the other and I would love to give constructive criticisms on what they are doing wrong and what they can EASILY improve upon. But nah, apparently its easier to continue to whine when hundreds of thousands of people have completed several tours already and the online community is still present and enjoying the game.

Yes, basically approach the game like its a sim racer, and be prepared to need to know the tracks by heart to be really good, in many ways, the things that will make you fast in this game are basically racing sim skills. Apexes matter, braking properly matters, acellerating properly matters.

Also, remember the brakes and throttle are not either mashed or let go completely, there is a lot of room to feather both.

Top Bottom