• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

Haines

Banned
If anything, Sony succeeded in getting people to talk about an old game.

Maybe these ps+ editions make a lot of sense in that respect.

Dash-cam for life - you get all the nice windscreen wiper effects, plus a better view

The GTR is fantastic

Quoting for truth. I find myself going with that camera and also the closer from behind.

If anything, Sony succeeded in getting people to talk about an old game.

Maybe these ps+ editions make a lot of sense in that respect.

Sure, makes a lot of sense for them, instead of going full on as a PS+ game, offer the PS+ version, give the main game a price drop, win win in my book. Also they have a lot of DLC they can sell to new players.

Shaneus

beautiful game, much love, but dem arms!! lol
More impressive (and it still gets me whenever I "rock the cock" ;) is the light shining from the car behind the driver onto him. Although with that effect, it's like he has no body as there's no shadow cast by him or the seat on to his arms.

EDIT: Dam Busters event was pretty easy tho. I'm not sure how it's being compared to Venom Hot Laps.
After that many laps, my hands started shaking and my driving got progressively worse. It was purely psychological :(

Arcade racers, like WipEout, have had a steep learning curve as well. It's not uncommon to the genre.
When I can't make a comparison to PGR for people not being familiar with it (if you're a Sony fan, understandable) I think the closest comparison for DC is that with Wipeout (without weapons though, obviously). Fairly unforgiving handling and you basically need to push super fucking hard to get anywhere. Maybe the downfall of the Wipeout series (and Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis... RIP :( ) foreshadowed the relative lack of enthusiasm when compared to Driveclub. Maybe Driveclub is Wipeout and Forza Horizon is Mario Kart?

This has just simply not been my experience, that the AI follows a line. The races, again, feel very alive for me with lots of car to car interaction and swerving.
I actually have a theory on how the AI works: I think there's almost a LOD-ish effect with AI, where the cars far ahead of you drive mostly on the same line (and would overtake if they're different cars) but the closer they are to you, the more likely they are to make mistakes or try and REALLY compete with each other. No idea if that's exactly how it works or not, but just my observation. I'm completely fine with that though, because at least they're not pulling bullshit times or performance out of each driver.

So basically it's not Forza so it sucks.
But Forza is becoming Driveclub, so that makes it okay now maybe?
9YLrjRQ.jpg

I've played forza 5, forza horizon 2, and driveclub. Enjoyed them all, but they each feel like different games to me. I don't think it makes much sense to argue which is better. Reminds me of mario vs. Sonic. It looks like the season pass adds quite a bit - is it mostly new challenges and cars?
Um, holy shit... how did I never draw that comparison? DC vs. whatever *is* Mario vs. Sonic. Both are platformers, but go about them in completely different ways. With Mario (Forza, GT etc.) you have worlds to select and powerups that drastically change the game, where Sonic (DC, PGR) just throws you in and the powerups are incredibly basic. This is absolutely perfect.

And FWIW, I was a Sonic/Sega kid growing up ;)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Glad I didn't jump the gun and comment on this game too hastily because I feel my rant would of been unwarranted, initially I wasn't too happy with the graphics, still don't think they are 'stellar' but outside of the India tracks they improve quite dramatically, that being said India in the wet looks very nice, you can tell a lot of love has been put into the game and the track design is some of the best I've played yet.

I find the pacing of the opponents vehicles interesting, they seems to be able to match your speed quite effectively which I haven't experienced in many other racers, it certainly adds to the immersion and thrill of a race when your flat out in a pack speeding down a straight, I hold my hands up though, I'm finding it a little difficult, but still having fun, in an ideal world I would love for this to 60fps but it feels like it's a pretty solid 30fps so it could be a lot worse, looking forward to upgrading when I get paid.

I tried the PS+ version and things were cool until the rain/snow started. I couldn't see very well and I don't like squinting at the screen. Weather effects are too good, lol. I'm glad I finally got a chance to play this game, but as I expected it's not something I want to buy/play any further, just not into racers.

RefigeKru

Banned
PGR is a game it's easily compared to but I'd say it's got even more of that DNA, heading back to MSR style racing.

Looser constraints on the 'kudos' system and nowhere near as instrumental to continuing throughout the game (MSR required you to unlock new cars and races via the points gained in a race, much like fame and was lost far far faaaar easier). The sometimes steep requirements for victory and bereft customization options however lead toward a type of mastery I've not experienced much outside of funnily enough the Motorstorm games.

Know the corners, the car, when to push and when to pull and you'll manage in the game - along with that grand satisfaction when you've bettered it.

My kinda racer.

wait a minute not enough adulation in this post.

It is actually one of my favourite racers of all time. ALL TIME. Driving has never really felt better to me. The beautiful vistas, intense speed and holy shit tight track design craft such a wonderful experience. I never feel passive playing this as I can a lot of racing games, even ones I enjoy. Last night on Dambusters
spun out 4th lap kill meeeee
I noticed that I'd forgotten to breath for about 20 seconds straight taking the corners, full pedal - aching for 1st.

Big respect for Evolution studios. Out of it all to me at least the quality of this game is undeniable.

nib95

Banned
Does rain affect the handling of the cars?

Yes. Based on the Venom Hot Lap (dry) versus Venom Hot Lap 2 (wet), both in Tamil Nadu, a fairly short track, the wet makes roughly 4 or more seconds of time difference a lap. I'd imagine on longer tracks, that difference would be greater still.

Essentially in the wet you have less grip, traction, longer braking distances etc.

Christos

Yes. Based on the Venom Hot Lap (dry) versus Venom Hot Lap 2 (wet), both in Tamil Nadu, a fairly short track, the wet makes roughly 4 or more seconds of time difference a lap. I'd imagine on longer tracks, that difference would be greater still.

Essentially in the wet you have less grip, traction, longer braking distances etc.

That explains some of the problems I have at some of the events, thanks. :)

That explains some of the problems I have at some of the events, thanks. :)
Its hard enough to run in foul weather on courses you already know in detail - going into completely new tracks with stormy weather seems like it'd be pretty damn hard. Not to mention how aggressive the AI can be - probably the thing I had the most difficulty with in the early going until I learned to seize opportunities to weave in and out without smashing into things, or getting smashed in return. Dealing with all of that at once, wow, that's DriveClub alright, but at max difficulty.

Christos

Its hard enough to run in foul weather on courses you already know in detail - going into completely new tracks with stormy weather seems like it'd be pretty damn hard. Not to mention how aggressive the AI can be - probably the thing I had the most difficulty with in the early going until I learned to seize opportunities to weave in and out without smashing into things, or getting smashed in return. Dealing with all of that at once, wow, that's DriveClub alright, but at max difficulty.

It seems super easy to go through them on turns.

krioto

I think the closest comparison for DC is that with Wipeout (without weapons though, obviously). Fairly unforgiving handling and you basically need to push super fucking hard to get anywhere. Maybe the downfall of the Wipeout series (and Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis... RIP :( ) foreshadowed the relative lack of enthusiasm when compared to Driveclub.

This would explain why DC is my favourite game - I love wipEout!

Posing this again: has Evo taken the game offline? The online features are all grayed out since 2 days for me. Is anyone else seeing this? My net is working and I am logged-in to PSN fine.

desu

Posing this again: has Evo taken the game offline? The online features are all grayed out since 2 days for me. Is anyone else seeing this? My net is working and I am logged-in to PSN fine.

Did it work initially? They are rollling it out in waves.

Did it work initially? They are rollling it out in waves.

Yep worked since the day I downloaded from the store when PS+ was released. And then since this Monday evening its all grayed out for me. I don't see online leaderboards, challenges etc. Keeps telling me error communicating with server.

This game is definitely more fun with online features :(

So I played some yesterday.
Enjoyed it for what it's worth, but damn I just suck at race sims. Will probably tinker a little more with it over the weekend.
Where was that noob tipps thread again?

The problem is that visibility in chase cam (or the hood cam, which is my preferred way to play) is WORSE than in cockpit view, because of no wipers. The water just stays put on the "lens", never even for a moment giving you a clear view of the road ahead. That makes it annoyingly difficult to see where you're going, and I do feel like it lessens my enjoyment of this game in bad weather conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIwUzqFHGRE

It's still driveable, just learn the tracks. This was about my 3rd attempt at getting the 3 stars.

Nyx

Enjoyed it for what it's worth, but damn I just suck at race sims. Will probably tinker a little more with it over the weekend.

Best tip is to play single events in dry weather first before doing the Startline tour.

Melchiah

When I can't make a comparison to PGR for people not being familiar with it (if you're a Sony fan, understandable) I think the closest comparison for DC is that with Wipeout (without weapons though, obviously). Fairly unforgiving handling and you basically need to push super fucking hard to get anywhere. Maybe the downfall of the Wipeout series (and Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis... RIP :( ) foreshadowed the relative lack of enthusiasm when compared to Driveclub. Maybe Driveclub is Wipeout and Forza Horizon is Mario Kart?

I definitely think the steep learning curve of WipEout HD was partly why it didn't sell well. The other reason being, that it wasn't available on retail back in 2008. It speaks volumes, that only 10.6% of players got the trophy for getting medals in the 3rd cell Frenzy. I guess the fact, that DC is also somewhat unwelcoming to newcomers isn't doing the game any favors.

I just got kicked offline mid race and now it keeps saying I'm signed out despite everything else working.

Gestault

This is a game where the visibility is legitimately a game design choice, and it's better for it. Driving in rain/snow is difficult, and it should be. As a child of winters in the Northeast US, DC does this stuff right.

Best tip is to play single events in dry weather first before doing the Startline tour.

I know they've added the new Startline Tour, but are the Indian events in the normal tour not accessible? I was definitely under the impression they would be.

Startline is a better showcase for the racing variety that DC can offer, but I feel the original Tour, starting with Hatches then building up to Super>Hyper was better for learning the game.

The problem is that visibility in chase cam (or the hood cam, which is my preferred way to play) is WORSE than in cockpit view, because of no wipers. The water just stays put on the "lens", never even for a moment giving you a clear view of the road ahead. That makes it annoyingly difficult to see where you're going, and I do feel like it lessens my enjoyment of this game in bad weather conditions.

Unless they fixed it, when you are on a straightaway cycle through the views until you get back to the hood cam. It should be clear again. hmm at least for offline mode, I haven't tried it for online mode

The game is almost too hard for me though. I usually finish somewhere in the middle on the online races, but the offline stuff is just getting to be way too hard for me.

Chris_C

I'm a PS Plus member, but I'm unable to download the game. When I go to the link in the OP (NA), I get an undefined error page.

If I try to download the game on PS4, it tells me I can't download the game "because I already own PS Plus"

Anyone know what the deal is?

Chris_C

Link in the OP doesn't work for me either, but it is correct. It's the one that's in this page with other PS+ stuff:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/free-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSFREEGAMES

Stupid question: is the game in your PS4's library?

Yeah, I had to use the webstore to search for the PS Plus Free Games and add it directly to cart. For some reason tho, the icon is greyed out and replaced with a generic PlayStation controller icon. Weird stuff.

EDIT: Nope, it wasn't in my library!

Putty

Right, a few months out of action means its time to hit the track again! Lets see if any of the leaderboards are still the same, filled with my GAF brethrens.

I have a question.
How does the difficulty of the PS+ content stack up agains the base game?
While I am enjoying it, I'm still not particularly good at it and I might enjoy it more if there was more manageable content for me to play.

Stacey

Banned
I have a question.
How does the difficulty of the PS+ content stack up agains the base game?
While I am enjoying it, I'm still not particularly good at it and I might enjoy it more if there was more manageable content for me to play.

The starter tour is infinitely more difficult than the main tour of the full game bar a few exceptions.

However, once the driving mechanics are mastered it becomes alot easier driving in the rain.

I'm a very average racer but currently I have 935 stars in the game.

The starter tour is infinitely more difficult than the main tour of the full game bar a few exceptions.

However, once the driving mechanics are mastered it becomes alot easier driving in the rain.

I'm a very average racer but currently I have 935 stars in the game.

Hm, tempting. :)

Thanks for the info, that makes me feel less bad about my skills in the starter tour @23 Stars.

Draper

The bonnet (hood) view has the same lens obscuration as chase and as I mentioned before, seasoned people have mentioned about cockpit view and rain and how even though they typically rock the cock view they think chase is less obscuring, because wipers are back-and-forth, the rain totally destroys your vision in between wipes, and if you take a bend all the standing water on the side of your window will totally do you over.
gF03P3N0m9ZC.gif
Is that a Ken doll racing?

Heimbeck

Banned
Does anyone know if your save game stuff transfers over to the full game?
I have ordered a box copy so will I need to start over or will it keep all of my progress?

kcxiv

i think im goign to be addicted to this game. been a long time since i tried a racing game. Im getting bounced all over. really enjoying it though.

Does anyone know if your save game stuff transfers over to the full game?
I have ordered a box copy so will I need to start over or will it keep all of my progress?

Yeah it transfers over to the full game. It will also ask if you want to delete the downloadable version.

ironcreed

Banned

The game would have been so much better if it allowed you to adjust the difficulty as you played. I appreciate being able to tailor the experience to my level so that I can still enjoy a good racing game. Forza and Project Cars allows for this, it's a shame that Driveclub does not.

Top Bottom