• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

GenericUser

I fail at understanding what makes driveclub so special. Is it because is it a Sony exclusive? I have a PS4 and I recognize a standard 30fps NFS racer when I see one.

I am glad that some people really love the game, no offense here. Enjoy this product, play it as much as you can. I do like seeing you being a happy person. But this game is just no my cup of tea and I do have to say that I am not overly impressed by its performance ad its mechanics.

Not entering any consolewar bullshit territory here, just stating my opinion. I don't like it and find project cars multiple times the better game.

Fat4all

Banned
I fail at understanding what makes driveclub so special. Is it because is it a Sony exclusive? I have a PS4 and I recognize a standard 30fps NFS racer when I see one.

I am glad that some people really love the game, no offense here. Enjoy this product, play it as much as you can. I do like seeing you being a happy person. But this game is just no my cup of tea and I do have to say that I am not overly impressed by its performance ad its mechanics.

Not entering any consolewar bullshit territory here, just stating my opinion. I don't like it and find project cars multiple times the better game.

Opinions.

Nozem

My thoughts:

* I'm far from a racing game enthusiast, but I like this game a lot. It's very hard, but with patience and perseverance you actually get better at it. Seeing your times slowly get better is very rewarding. It's never unfair, when I lose it's always due to my own stupid fuckups. The Dam Busters challenge in the McLaren seems impossible for me though. :-(

* 30fps actually doesn't bother me that much. Sorry for al my "60fps or bust" bitching.

* The graphics are underwhelming especially after all the GAF hype. Until it starts to rain, then suddenly it looks like the best game ever. I've never seen a game with such a disparity between the highs and the lows.

I won't buy the full version because the PS+ version is more than enough for the limited time I have, but all in all I like this game way more than I thought I would.

Putty

Apart from this you mean?

Melchiah

What the hell? So, you're implying those who like it are fanboys? The bolded parts are contradicting each other, by the way.

For me personally, Driveclub has been the most enjoyable and thrilling racer since WipEout HD and SSX. It's also the only racing game with cars, that I've really enjoyed since the C64 and Amiga days. In that sense, it felt like a breath of fresh air to the genre. I've played it since the release, and I still haven't grown bored with it. I just love the sense of speed, the aggressive AI, the variety of tracks (particularly P2Ps), and...
I like the handling model. feel like I'm always on the border of losing control, and I like that. The learning curve reminds me more of wipeout, than say PGR.

GenericUser

Everyone who loves driveclup is a friend of mine. Enjoy this game, it has its qualities.

I just don't like it that much, but thats my problem. Not yours.

Hedrush

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm fine with that but Driveclub and Project Cars are completely different types of racer. In my personal opinion Driveclub is the better game as It looks better and it plays better and is just so much fun to play. Project Cars is not a bad game but as of right now it is a buggy mess and is not enjoyable in the slightest. But yeah opinions and all that.

Purest 78

I'd imagine what ever you're favorite game of all time is, there would be people who don't like it. People enjoy different things is it really that puzzling?

Makikou

My thoughts:

* I'm far from a racing game enthusiast, but I like this game a lot. It's very hard, but with patience and perseverance you actually get better at it. Seeing your times slowly get better is very rewarding. It's never unfair, when I lose it's always due to my own stupid fuckups. The Dam Busters challenge in the McLaren seems impossible for me though. :-(

* 30fps actually doesn't bother me that much. Sorry for al my "60fps or bust" bitching.

* The graphics are underwhelming especially after all the GAF hype. Until it starts to rain, then suddenly it looks like the best game ever. I've never seen a game with such a disparity between the highs and the lows.

I won't buy the full version because the PS+ version is more than enough for the limited time I have, but all in all I like this game way more than I thought I would.

Consider yourself redeemed.

I still don't get some of the hate it's getting, if you enjoy driving fast cars around great race tracks with really nice graphics, then you can't go too far wrong with DriveClub.

The handling can take a little while to master, It took me a few weeks but then it clicked and I find the handling to be great. Yeah it's not the same as Forza Horizon's handling but that doesn't make it bad, just different.

Tommi84

* The graphics are underwhelming especially after all the GAF hype. Until it starts to rain, then suddenly it looks like the best game ever.
There's disparity as DC is not trying to make the best looking game, it's trying to RECREATE the real world. Midday sun is plain boring and silly. Change the time of day for dusk or dawn. The difference of the lightning conditions will change EVERYTHING.

Varth

Just wondering: can you add single free DLCs to the PS+ Edition? Also: didn't an update add Japan tracks, photo mode and stuff for free in january? Can you add that too?

EDIT: also, it will still remain available after the expiring of the PS+, right? The product description in the ITA store is extremely misleading.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
What does 'downloading content has been prioritized' mean?
I have the PS Plus edition and clicked on scotland track (or some other track which probably isnt included) and got this message. Does this mean I have unknowingly bought the full game? I have my card details on PS plus store so Sony can indeed cut the money. What is the Sony policy regarding digital purchases and saved credit cards? Do they at least ask for confirmation, if someone mistakenly clicks on buy?

Just wondering: can you add single free DLCs to the PS+ Edition? Also: didn't an update add Japan tracks, photo mode and stuff for free in january? Can you add that too?

All the free DLC (tracks, cars, tours) can currently only be used with the full version of the game, not the PS+ version, though apparently they are considering allowing PS+ players to play the two free tours. Photo mode can be used with the PS+ version.

Nozem

There's disparity as DC is not trying to make the best looking game, it's trying to RECREATE the real world. Midday sun is plain boring and silly. Change the time of day for dusk or dawn. The difference of the lightning conditions will change EVERYTHING.

I meant more in the sense of too many jaggies, shimmering, low poly environment objects. Those are all quite obvious in daytime, and I didn't expect that after all the hype and cool gifs. When it's raining with all the water effects and reflections and stuff those shortcomings are really not noticeable anymore.

Auctopus

My thoughts:

Baptism.gif

nib95

Banned
I meant more in the sense of too many jaggies, shimmering, low poly environment objects. Those are all quite obvious in daytime, and I didn't expect that after all the hype and cool gifs. When it's raining with all the water effects and reflections and stuff those shortcomings are really not noticeable anymore.

I barely notice any of those things when playing the game (unless by shimmering you mean the heat haze mirages). Hell I have over 200 gameplay screenshots, half of them not with weather, that show as much too. Is there a possibility that your TV is just improperly calibrated which is exaggerating the issues? Eg set with added sharpness and/or to dynamic mode? Ideally your set should have sharpness set to none or zero, and be set to Cinema, Movie or THX mode.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781

The shimmering is a glitch in how they implemented mirages in the April update

hqdefault.jpg

Before that update, the image quality was superb.

The sad reality of Driveclubs graphics is that they make a bad first impression.
The aliasing is never worse than on the starting line. As soon as you're moving, things smooth out quite a bit. Not perfectly, but for the most part.

The main tour not having dynamic weather, meant most of your daytime races, can tend to look a bit bland. The lighting is quite natural and realistic, but like reality, in a lot of conditions it can look a bit bland.

As far as low-poly environments. Sure not every bit of track-side geometry is as high-poly as the car models, but you're driving too slowly if you are noticing that.

Drive faster.

Smokey

I am sorry if some of you aren't enjoying this, but this visceral feel of the game is insane. Half the time I forget that it's 30fps. I just completed the R8 Scotland Series in the 'Startline' set....

...driving at night with rain in a high performance car is too intense. Never felt as tight in a racing game as I did playing that series. Whole time I am saying "holy shit" in my head. Want moar.

I'm a big car fan and DC strikes a good balance between arcade/sim for me.

I am sorry if some of you aren't enjoying this, but this visceral feel of the game is insane. Half the time I forget that it's 30fps. I just completed the R8 Scotland Series in the 'Startline' set....

...driving at night with rain in a high performance car is too intense. Never felt as tight in a racing game as I did playing that series. Whole time I am saying "holy shit" in my head. Want moar.

I'm a big car fan and DC strikes a good balance between arcade/sim for me.

Yep, it's been a long time since I've played a driving game that really is seat of the pants stuff, but in DC if it's night time and you're bombing along in the rain, every bump, kink or corner is a moment that you could end up flying off the road if you don't get it right.

Varth

All the free DLC (tracks, cars, tours) can currently only be used with the full version of the game, not the PS+ version, though apparently they are considering allowing PS+ players to play the two free tours. Photo mode can be used with the PS+ version.

Thanks, saved me a LONG download.

It's still free to keep after the expiration of PS+, right?

Thanks, saved me a LONG download.

It's still free to keep after the expiration of PS+, right?

Just to be sure, you're talking about the "free" limited PS+ version, not the PS+ Edition full game upgrade?

If it's the former, i didn't answer your second question because i'm not sure. I don't see anything in the store description that would make it ambiguous, can you post the passage you mean? Normally i would assume that it does run out, but there seem to be a couple of people here whose PS+ sub lapsed and they got to keep the game, not sure if that's intended though.

If we're talking about the latter (PS+ full game upgrade, basically the full game at a discount for PS+ members), then you definitely get to keep that if your PS+ sub runs out (but you won't be able to use the game's online functionality). You also get to use all the free DLC with that version.

Nozem

The sad reality of Driveclubs graphics is that they make a bad first impression.
The aliasing is never worse than on the starting line. As soon as you're moving, things smooth out quite a bit. Not perfectly, but for the most part.

The main tour not having dynamic weather, meant most of your daytime races, can tend to look a bit bland. The lighting is quite natural and realistic, but like reality, in a lot of conditions it can look a bit bland.

As far as low-poly environments. Sure not every bit of track-side geometry is as high-poly as the car models, but you're driving too slowly if you are noticing that.

Drive faster.

I think it's more an issue of unrealistic expectations from me. Based on the gifs on GAF i expected the game to look holyshitamazingbestthingever all of the time. But the gifs are obviously only the coolest moments when Driveclub looks best. Lesson learned.

Downloaded this as soon as I saw the announcement. Game seems pretty good so far, it always had my interest. Nice to see that we have some racing games even if there isn't a gran turismo yet on the ps4.

Top Bottom