• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

kyser73

The legend events were surprisingly a little easier compared to some of the previous tour races. It's always been that way, I think Viveks had the same experience too.

I'm having more trouble with the Germany vs. Italy event than I did with the Legend trophy, which if I hadn't selected restart championship I would've done in a single pass. The tracks are far more hypercar friendly IMO.

vato_loco

Are there any news about Photo Mode and Weather patches? Any date?

Also, have they ever talked about some kind of, I don't know, reward for the players who put up with the servers not working and all that?

Melchiah

Good for me. I want more of a simulation. If you want pure arcade buy needf for speed.

I've enjoyed the arcadeish driving feel, so naturally I'm not happy about if it's altered more towards simulation later on.

EDIT: And for the record, I don't like NFS series, nor the open world racing the last one featured.

Braking is definitely harder now. I use to test cars on the Scotland Race Track 2 and now I have to brake a lot earlier for the last hairpin with the same car.

I like it better now since it's harder and cars are more unstable under braking but leaderboards times should be reset. I simply can't be as fast as I was before the patch when I have to brake 200m before.
What cars have you been using?

I'll test it out later and record the results. I've not noticed I've been needing to brake earlier, unless I'm just too in-tune with the cars.

Are there any news about Photo Mode and Weather patches? Any date?

Also, have they ever talked about some kind of, I don't know, reward for the players who put up with the servers not working and all that?

My guess is after everything is sorted out Sony/Evolution will offer some kind of compensation. Makes no sense to do that while the game still isn't 100%

Alefas

Neo Member
Does anyone else disconnect constantly after 1-2 laps and doing face-offs? I keep connecting and disconnecting all the time while in race. Leaderboards update very fast 90% of the time.

bosseye

I just noticed the hands on the steering wheel aren't static, the fingers move and flip off the wheel, just like wot mine do in one of them real cars like! Thats a lovely detail.

I'm so tempted to get this. I am conflicted. I can get the £35 PS+ 'upgrade' version and I really do want a decent racer, but I did vow to not get involved in this until the server issues were essentially fixed and the weather/replay mode patch had hit. But my resolve, she crumbles!

Game seems slightly cleaner.... could be my imagination though.
It definitely has less jaggies. On day one I tried to play it on my monitor and it looked so meh I had to go back and play it on my plasma. Tried the same yesterday and it looks pretty good. There's still some jaggies visible but not as bad as day one.

spwolf

It definitely has less jaggies. On day one I tried to play it on my monitor and it looked so meh I had to go back and play it on my plasma. Tried the same yesterday and it looks pretty good. There's still some jaggies visible but not as bad as day one.

yeah, lets keep in mind that network team is just a part of 120 big team they have at Evo working on DC. This is why they said that network issues will not affect planned features update, since different people are working on them.

le-seb

I wonder if the better AA comes from the not-so-secret saucy DPU jeff_rigby thinks had been enabled with firmware 2.0.
I doubt it, but this would be neat.

Does anyone else disconnect constantly after 1-2 laps and doing face-offs? I keep connecting and disconnecting all the time while in race. Leaderboards update very fast 90% of the time.
If the Face Offs get beat, yeah.

yeah, lets keep in mind that network team is just a part of 120 big team they have at Evo working on DC. This is why they said that network issues will not affect planned features update, since different people are working on them.
Well it has already delayed the release of the first track DLC.

sourc3d

Despite DCs' leaderboards now seemingly becoming functional, I can't believe non of my times from my original playthrough are appearing on the leaderboards, only new times that I'm setting now appear on them!

Sucks big time, especially as the game clearly keeps local records of the previous times set, for example on the venom hot lap, my current leaderboard time set last night was 1.15.6ish, yet the OSD during the race shows my personal best as being a 1.15.3ish which was set a couple of weeks ago, but has never appeared on the leaderboards.

Not to mention the fact that the leaderboards are populated with ridiculous times e.g. some in the sub 10sec region!!

TBH despite it being so broken, the whole challenges/leaderboards thing in DC doesn't seem that well implemented anyway.

Much preferred the way NFS Hot Pursuits Autolog would inform you that your time had been beaten by a friend as soon as you connected and would offer you the option to jump straight into that event.

Not sure if its just another part of the online that's broken, but don't see any notifications of this sort in DC which seems like a weird oversight in a
'occasionaly'
connected game

m@cross

Apparently if you play some Avenged Sevenfold off a USB thumb drive your car improves a ton.. well at least that happened to me, got around 10 stars I had trouble with before then.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can you feel the love?

DrvlUo4.gif

5 wide into the turn! I love it.

Oh, and you won that cornering face-off! Hats off to you.

But seriously, these are the kind of moments I wish we had replay for. Because I want to see a third person view of mega crashes that I was using bumper or dash view for.

benzy

Got a link for this?

dano1

A Sheep
I've enjoyed the arcadeish driving feel, so naturally I'm not happy about if it's altered more towards simulation later on.

EDIT: And for the record, I don't like NFS series, nor the open world racing the last one featured.

Yeah I bought need for speed because I needed a racing game. I think I played it for about 2 hours. Haven't touched it since. I love the handling of Driveclub but the braking was way to Arcady! I think it's perfect now. But I don't want a full sim. GT7 for that!

Just deleted the game and did some back to backs against retail shipped version and 1.06.

Can't say I noticed any improvements to AA, and nor did the cars brake any slower in 1.06. I took the Vanquish on the Chile race circuit straight started in the same point and took it up to 120 MPH before slamming on the brakes and retail vs. 1.06 both stopped around the exact same point.

If there is a specific car you think it has happened to then name it.

pixelbox

I can't see any difference tbh. Maybe you all witness a placebo effect ?

On the previous page there are screenshots before and after the patch. Maybe you're not as sensitive to jaggies but I encourage you to take a look.

I wonder if the better AA comes from the not-so-secret saucy DPU jeff_rigby thinks had been enabled with firmware 2.0.
I doubt it, but this would be neat.

Could be the OS shrinking and allowing for more resources as well.

Melchiah

Yeah I bought need for speed because I needed a racing game. I think I played it for about 2 hours. Haven't touched it since. I love the handling of Driveclub but the braking was way to Arcady! I think it's perfect now. But I don't want a full sim. GT7 for that!

I'll have to try how it feels now. Hopefully it's not a step for worse.

I'm looking for a club just for club-car unlocks. Somebody still open for one more member?

I know I'm late, but I got DC day1 at a big discount through amazon, played it day1 for 1 1/2 hours, wasn't into it, then wanted to sell it again, but because of the discount my game is still banned from amazon marketplace (don't wanna sell on ebay or local craig's list equivalent).
Now I wanna give the game a second chance in lack of a Project CARS this year.

Thanx in advance!

le-seb

On the previous page there are screenshots before and after the patch. Maybe you're not as sensitive to jaggies but I encourage you to take a look.
Although I have the impression there's a difference in these shots (which I haven't noticed while playing the game, to be honest) It would probably help a lot if we could compare the same car at same angle in both.

Could be the OS shrinking and allowing for more resources as well.
Possibly maybe. Don't ask me, I know nothing.

I noticed one big change right away, see if you can spot it :p
Your supporters are gone, obviously?
Just looks like different crowd sizes...

Although I have the impression there's a difference in these shots (which I haven't noticed while playing the game, to be honest) It would probably help a lot if we could compare the same car at same angle in both.

Possibly maybe. Don't ask me, I know nothing.
I'm doing that now. I noticed one big change right away, see if you can spot it :p

idFJCfBxG8Ecv.png

iR63oOdWMXEzJ.png

benzy

Just deleted the game and did some back to backs against retail shipped version and 1.06.

Can't say I noticed any improvements to AA, and nor did the cars brake any slower in 1.06. I took the Vanquish on the Chile race circuit straight started in the same point and took it up to 120 MPH before slamming on the brakes and retail vs. 1.06 both stopped around the exact same point.

If there is a specific car you think it has happened to then name it.

Try the 458.

So who has mastered drifting in this game cos I can't do it to save my life..

Have not mastered drifting, but I do have a tip. In the drift events, make sure you maximize those drift zones that are really conducive to long, fast drifts.

I had trouble with the Marussia event until I stopped worrying so much about the really sharp turns (like the first drift zone). Look for the longer turns where you can carry some (but not too much) speed into the turn, but don't start your drift until you're enough into the turn that you can drift through the second half of the turn and down some of the subsequent straight.

The biggest thing to avoid is a fast drift that has you sliding into the wall near the middle of the turn. That's a waste of a lot of potential points. You generate a lot of points from just sliding at an angle with speed (while accelerating), so take advantage of the wider turns with straights after them. I got more than 3,000 points on I think the second drift zone in the Marussia event with a nice long drift. I think I got one more good 2,000 point drift and just made sure I was solid (500-1000) on the other zones.

Oh, and be sure you press the handbrake button long enough to initiate the drift. You could just turn with some cars and drift. And just using your brakes and turning will do it in most of the faster cars. But this game tends to initiate the drift points faster if you use the handbrake first. So it's a must for the drift events.

There are other posts in this thread that give some great tips on the actual mechanics of drifting in this game. Hope this helps!

Which one is the new shot? (I don't have the game yet)

All I can say is the round gates look way better.
Heh. I never noticed it did this. Looks like it is random what you get.

In the post above the square one is the 1.06 version, round is retail disc no patch.

But I just went into it again (on latest patch) and had nothing overhead, instead it had the illuminated inflatable marker things on either side, just went in again and got the round overhead thing.

On that basis here is a like-for-like shot.

Retail disc, no patch.
idFJCfBxG8Ecv.png

1.06 patch
i01PTBdzCC9Ip.png

AndyD

aka andydumi
AA is looking markedly better when comparing them directly. But something needs to be done with that AF. I've never really noticed bad AF in a game before, but you really notice it in this with the lack of road detail so close to the car.

IMO, it's completely impossible to notice AF or the lack thereof while you're racing. Even if it stronger AF would cause just 1FPS drop at odd times in this game (right now it probably has 4xAF btw), it would be worthless implementing it.

Indeed. As long as we get AF for the photo mode, that's all that really matters. But during racing it's not nearly as critical due to the speed of everything moving. AA on the other hand can be very evident due to the shimmering.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Have not mastered drifting, but I do have a tip. In the drift events, make sure you maximize those drift zones that are really conducive to long, fast drifts.

There are other posts in this thread that give some great tips on the actual mechanics of drifting in this game. Hope this helps!

I also found that watching other ghosts helps a lot. It taught me how to approach a corner and even more critically the speed for drifting, as it's markedly different from the regular cornering speed of some cars.

I just noticed the hands on the steering wheel aren't static, the fingers move and flip off the wheel, just like wot mine do in one of them real cars like! Thats a lovely detail.

I'm so tempted to get this. I am conflicted. I can get the £35 PS+ 'upgrade' version and I really do want a decent racer, but I did vow to not get involved in this until the server issues were essentially fixed and the weather/replay mode patch had hit. But my resolve, she crumbles!

I rented the game and was essentially sold in a few hours. Best racing game on the market. I'm going to jump in once the servers are clean. Actually, the weather update might be the best time to jump in for the full experience on your personal day 1. Patience is a virtue.

The angle is still slightly different, so I'd say there's absolutely no difference.
Did you see the two above? Same Drift event without touching a button so they're the same angle, and the shots are pretty much identical. Only differences are the crowd and where what cloud cover there is casts different shadows on environment.

le-seb

Did you see the two above? Same Drift event without touching a button so they're the same angle, and the shots are pretty much identical. Only differences are the crowd and where what cloud cover there is casts different shadows on environment.
Yup, what you say and the vegetation looks different too, probably because of the wind.
So, it looks like nothing has changed on the AA front, right?

I also found that watching other ghosts helps a lot. It taught me how to approach a corner and even more critically the speed for drifting, as it's markedly different from the regular cornering speed of some cars.

I've only seen my own ghost in events. Can we see others' ghosts now? Or were they always there and I missed them? (Wouldn't surprise me!)

benzy

Yeah, it looks the same in direct scene comparisons. I think if there were any AA additions Evo would have stated it in the patch update.

As I've mentioned before, I really loved the game and the single player mode.
I'm now wanting to play multiplayer and its fucking impossible. I've tried nearly 10 times tonight and get the 'Failed to join game' blah blah blah.
I'm pretty patient but this is useless.

Yup, what you say and the vegetation looks different too, probably because of the wind.
So, it looks like nothing has changed on the AA front, right?
It does to me, yes.

I think the vegetation might be randomly chosen rather than it being the wind, so some different colouring of the same vegetation pieces, as they're all in the same places but some is darker, some is lighter.

Goldrusher

You should start by fixing your TV and PS4 settings, before analyzing the game.
That giant black frame in your screens is not normal.

It's been explained over and over again. Set your TV to "no scale", then adjust your PS4's "display area setting".

edit:

You have black bars that are 20px thick top and bottom, and 40px wide left and right.
You're effectively playing in 1840x1040 instead of 1920x1080. You're missing nearly 10% of the game!

You should start by fixing your TV and PS4 settings, before analyzing the game.
That giant black frame in your screens is not normal.

It's been explained over and over again. Set your TV to "no scale", then adjust your PS4's "display area setting".
The black bar is normal. DRIVECLUB black bars the unsafe area.

My TV has no scale/zoom/overscan setting. I wish it did though, because it bloody annoying when connecting random PCs and having to fiddle around with them every time.

Even if there was a setting it would still be 'normal' because that would be it's default setting, and default is normal.

What brand & model is it?
It is a Samsung from the by-gone eras. I could do with a new one, it is getting a bit cloudy on dark scenes.

Anyway yeah, as you say I am missing some of the game - but it is all going through the exact same processes so comparison is still able to be done.

Just for you though, I extended the setting to beyond the reaches of my TV, everything is still visible so to be honest I will leave it there until I go back to a game where the HUD is off the screen as a result.

No patch. http://i5.minus.com/iK088vzHlj8KP.png
1.06. http://i3.minus.com/ibzrPJ6IZj1S57.png

Top Bottom