• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshock4 Thumbstick problems. Let´s gather info here.

Anhkow

I'm glad that I've got some spare caps for the analog sticks.

Buy some protection and thumb safe ya'll!

lpxyz0o.jpg

Almighty

I called a Sony store and the guy told me controller isn't covered under warranty. But if you read the text of the warranty, the guy is clearly wrong. I think he just didn't have a canned response ready and didn't know what to say.

Yeah he is when I was on the phone with Sony to extend my Ps4 warranty I was specifically told that all controllers have a year long manufactures warranty.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have a theory which is mostly just guesswork: I think its due to the concave design of the sticks combined with the type of grippy-rubber that Sony is using. I think what happens is that there's significantly more friction (depending on how people orient their thumbs) on the edges with a concave design vs. the convex strick design on the DS3 and they're using a similar grippy-rubber that they used on the DS3. Nintendo or MS controllers with concave sticks both seem to use a different type of rubber.

k4n3

Banned
i didnt have any problem with my tumb sticks but my L1 button isnt working right, sony will replace it but what sucks you have to pay for the shipping ......

IrishMick

Neo Member
My theory:

The weird oily stuff that used to seep out of previous PlayStation thumbsticks is what made them keep their integrity, and now that they fixed that for the ds4, the thumbsticks are weaker and more susceptible to falling apart.

Again, this is purely a theory I came up with.

daveo42

Banned
ya'll making me paranoid. after a long play session i'm always inspecting my thumbsticks now lol

I'd say that if you aren't noticing black flakes on your DS4, you're in the clear. I've been noticing them since launch day and have s small smooth patch in the middle of the left thumbstick. The rubber just doesn't hold up to friction that well for those having issues.

VanWinkle

I noticed a few days after I bought a DS4 a few of weeks ago that the tops of the analog sticks were wearing, and the top texture was going away. It's been a few weeks since, and since the PS4 was released I've been using it like crazy, and, well, they're still the exact same. It hasn't been anymore worn yet. So hopefully that's the end of it for awhile.

I can't even understand how they're happening. The pictures look like someone takes a bite out of the stick or pushes their nail really hard into it. I just don't see how the softness of the bottom of your thumb creates a chunk taken out of the rubber like that.

It slowly flakes until large chunks are gone. It's an accelerating problem, since once the rubber is broken even a little bit, it becomes much easier to make the problem worse by rubbing your finger over the split area.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If this turns out to be a problem, I imagine Sony will just issue free-rubber caps to go over the sticks for the 1.0 versions and then just issue a 2.0 DS4 with better rubber.

Lucent

I'd say that if you aren't noticing black flakes on your DS4, you're in the clear. I've been noticing them since launch day and have s small smooth patch in the middle of the left thumbstick. The rubber just doesn't hold up to friction that well for those having issues.

Yeah, mine has been getting some good use this weekend and I haven't noticed anything wrong with my sticks yet. They just don't look or feel like they'd chip away like that.

Jack_AG

Banned
Let's quit the whole cut your nails thing, guys.

4-473-498-01 G
Left stick wearing out slightly.

Mine?
4-473-498-01 G

Left stick wearing, as well:
Dy5Zez1.jpg

Just a hair under 20hrs of use.

Yeah, mine has been getting some good use this weekend and I haven't noticed anything wrong with my sticks yet. They just don't look or feel like they'd chip away like that.

Hard plastic with a rubberized coating.

Valnen

If this turns out to be a problem, I imagine Sony will just issue free-rubber caps to go over the sticks for the 1.0 versions and then just issue a 2.0 DS4 with better rubber.

If this turns out to be a problem, they owe us more than rubber caps. They should be giving us new controllers.

I'll take a pair of new sticks. I can swap them out myself.

that would be hot, but they won't give out two. It'd be too easy to exploit for gain. Rub down your analog stick with sandpaper or something and send in and get 2 new sticks free? hell naw. they'd just 1:1 for a new stick and maybe a $10 PSN card for your trouble.

Duxxy3

Something I did notice, and it may be relevant.

My pre-launch DS4 (the one with the wear) can take an FPS freek. Fits fine and I can't rotate it when it's on. FPS freeks on my launch DS4 are on slightly loose and I can rotate them.

Now I did not try the FPS freeks when I first got the pre-launch controller, so maybe it widened out or something.

Just something to chew on.

Schrade

I wonder if this rubber stuff missed a full vulcanization process where it hardens/sets the rubber. (Not even sure if this material is rubber though)

I see a lot of fingernail damage. Cut your nails, people! But still, the sticks shouldn't be so vulnerable to that.

Shady859

Well I have two controllers here, both have at least 10 to 20 hours of play on them, and the sticks on both still look brand new. Got one a few weeks before launch and the other one came with the Ps4. I can't tell you which is which though.

Anyway all the numbers are the same op except the last two

One is
4-473-498-01 G

My controllers family! I have your little brother all the same except my serial number is a 7xxxxx instead of your 6xxxx. That one I would say is your bundled controller as that's mine and my spare is sealed. I have probably 15 hours on it so far looking at it now the left stick is noticeably more worn that then right stick but no damage.

Edit: Mine look EXACTLY like this, same batch as well. Also to some of you clowns , I have no nails or abnormalities lol.

Mine?
4-473-498-01 G

Left stick wearing, as well:
Dy5Zez1.jpg

Just a hair under 20hrs of use.

Hard plastic with a rubberized coating.

balohna

The controller at my nearest Sony Store is like this. Good to hear it's probably just a bad batch and not a widespread problem.

I highly doubt it's related to use/care/nails if this thread is anything to go by. My initial thought was it was from extensive use, but other people are saying other demo units are fine.

kvothe

One of those pictures in the OP belongs to me. Sorry it took so long to post, was at work.

Here's my info:
All numbers are the same as the OP except the FCC ID and the SKU.
FCC ID: AK8CUHZCT1
SKU: 11202391010664

Spinluck

I'm glad that I've got some spare caps for the analog sticks.

Buy some protection and thumb safe ya'll!

lpxyz0o.jpg

At least post where you got them -__-

I can confirm that the right stick can also wear like this too. Both my controllers have this issue.

Hm, definitely a bad batch I assume. The mixture for the rubber for some of them was probably not mixed right so they degrade faster. I'm just speculating of course.

Could be a number of things:

Contamination If a small bit of dirt is mixed with raw materials, once the rubber is cooled, ejected and set, thumb pressure around contamination will cause tearing.
Low pressure/air pockets Air finds a way into the injection process, causing 'shorts'. Same result as above. Once the air pocket is squeezed, friction causes tearing.
Frosted design Sony picked a soft compound for comfort and a frosted finish to aid grip. This combination may not work well together. Simply chose a slightly harder compound and monitor for improvement.

In any case, it's a safe bet that Sony have already done a shop walk to discuss and rectify the problem.

Steel

Banned
I got a divet in the middle of my right stick. It doesn't hurt the functionality, but it's slightly annoying. Knew I'd have this problem when I heard the rumors, I'm not gentle with how I use stuff but showing wear in a week is a new record for me. (Amazon)

So what's the consensus on action plan? Wait a few months to make sure that we can hopefully engage the warranty for a new controller? Exchange now? Say forget it and buy the thumbcaps?

I've been checking my ds4 nearly every day since I got it (on launch day) for signs of this issue. The left stick was getting noticeably worn down and smoothed, but I didn't think any actual damage was going to form. However, just now, I checked and there are two small tears on the left stick, and the right one now looks about as worn as the left one did a few days ago.

(I know one of the marks looks like it's caused by a fingernail—it's not. I tried to replicate it on the right stick and I couldn't. And besides, my nails aren't long enough to do that and I don't dig my thumbnail into the stick anyway.)

4-473-498-01 G (and it came with the system)

DoomGyver

After a lot of time on two DS4s I have noticed that the texture on the thumbsticks is smoother, but no signs of peeling/flaking.

SelfCon

Mine came with my PS4 from amazon and I haven't had any issues to speak of yet. Not saying there isn't a problem, but I'm curious about how those with defective sticks are handling them. Are you guys playing with the tips of your nails or the pad of the thumb? I'm not one of the "cut your nails, bro!" guys. Just asking an honest question.

FrankWza

Mine came with my PS4 from amazon and I haven't had any issues to speak of yet. Not saying there isn't a problem, but I'm curious about how those with defective sticks are handling them. Are you guys playing with the tips of your nails or the pad of the thumb? I'm not one of the "cut your nails, bro!" guys. Just asking an honest question.

How am I handling? Same as I have with about 6 systems that have controllers with analog sticks that are rubber coated since ps1....Hahahahahahaha....oh man.

Top Bottom