• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShockers Awards 2018: God of War wins Game of the Year Award

EssKayZee

Partial list of awards from DualShockers:

Game of the Year 2018:
God of War

Most Anticipated Game of 2019:
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Most Anticipated Game of 2019 (Readers’ Choice):
Kingdom Hearts III

Indie Game of the Year:
Celeste

Best Online Game:
Monster Hunter: World

Hardware of the Year:
Xbox Adaptive Controller

For a complete list of awards and detailed write-up, click the link.

Close if old.

Color me surprised that GoW is pulling ahead of RDR2. It's deserving, no doubt about it, but I really expected RDR2 to have GOTY on lock from every place that's not platform/company specific. Especially surprising is when you look at the reader's choice breakdown, it was 50% for GoW vs 10% for RDR2, wow.

Nymphae

Banned
Color me surprised that GoW is pulling ahead of RDR2. It's deserving, no doubt about it, but I really expected RDR2 to have GOTY on lock from every place that's not platform/company specific. Especially surprising is when you look at the reader's choice breakdown, it was 50% for GoW vs 10% for RDR2, wow.

I personally really disliked it, but everyone was so over the top with GoW praise this year it was a lock - RDR2 is essentially more of the same whereas Dad of War was a heartwarming re-imagining of a series thought to be way past it's prime.

Last edited:

leo-j

God of war is the best ps4 exclusive on paper and arguably by average opinion. It was such a dramatic shift for the franchise, that it is to be commended. I really hope it crosses 10 million in sales, if it hasn’t already and approaches 15 million, because it’s a masterpiece from top to bottom.

EssKayZee

IMO, sluggish gameplay brought RDR2 out of contention.

GoW is probably the game of the generation for a significant amount of people. I guess the same could be said for RDR2 as well, though.

There was quite a bit more negative reaction to RDR2, especially in regards to how it plays, from users.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I highly enjoyed God of War but for me GOTY is without a doubt Dragon Quest XI.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I enjoyed the game but don't know if it's the best. I'm happy it won because it's proof of:

- SP only games have a place in the market
- Developers can/should try different things and they can succeed
- An existing IP can be drastically change to offer something refreshing and manage risk at the same time
- Even with base PS4 the game looked/performed amazing, showing there is a lot of power to be employed there

I hope other devs follow SSM and try to follow their steps.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally not happy Octopath Traveler didn't win best soundtrack in VGA. That game's OST is as good as NieR Automata.

Gediminas

Banned
God of War was not just site's GOTY, but also Readers' choice. GoW got over 50% from readers, in second place RDR with 10,1%, third Spider Man, fourth Dragon Quest XI and fifth Monster Hunter World.

Top Bottom