• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

Axass

For me, TTE is at its best when they're just bumbling around towns and being silly. Fights are boring (not just in TTE, but in general).
Yes.

Yup, all these years later and I still can't follow the fights. Especially when they're spread over several episodes.
Shenanigans and hijinks are what I tune in for.
Yes.

I'm hoping that their next game is a bit more grounded.
Haven't played D&D before unless Neverwinter Nights on PC counts, but there's a lot of overpowered skills for magic characters that kinda just break the game.

A smaller scope for the story, smaller set of locations and acting rashly leading straight to death so the players have a fear for it.
maxresdefault.jpg

Hasney

I'm hoping that their next game is a bit more grounded.
Haven't played D&D before unless Neverwinter Nights on PC counts, but there's a lot of overpowered skills for magic characters that kinda just break the game.

A smaller scope for the story, smaller set of locations and acting rashly leading straight to death so the players have a fear for it.

No :(

The reason it's my favourite show to watch on any medium is all the dumb bullshit and going to do things that are blatantly going to kill then.

I went with Gang Beasts.

PSASBR can be fun and has some neat stuff in it (I vaguely remember a God of War level with patapons and Kat as a DLC character) but it's a forgettable game that honestly shouldn't exist. Sony missed the boat not making a Power Stone clone instead.

And while Pokemon Stadium 2 would probably be a fun stream, there's no investment in rentals, so it's immediately a lot less appealing to me.

ShadyK54

No :(

The reason it's my favourite show to watch on any medium is all the dumb bullshit and going to do things that are blatantly going to kill then.

Yeeeah, keep this real D&D out of my TTE.

Seriously though, dumb shenanigans are the best. I only hope for Jones to pop up every once in a while as some recurring (or non recurring) NPC’s or something.

Kneefoil

I don't think fights are that boring. They can be sometimes, but some of the best moments in TTE have involved fighting, and conflict via fighting can help propel the story forward. I at least got a bit frustrated in the first town they visited, because while there was a lot of funny stuff going on, plot development got stuck for quite a long while.

Following fights hasn't been very difficult for me because it hasn't seemed like the exact locations and such of characters has mattered very much. I just take them in one turn at a time, and go with the flow.

What has confused me, though, has been the amount of NPCs. So many NPCs have been introduced since the group left the puff place, that it's been hard to keep track of them all. A couple of episodes back I was totally lost on who was who, and although I do remember them a bit better now, I'm still not sure about all of them.

People have different aspects of TTE they like but to me the campaign over the year and a half has been amazing. It’s got epic stuff, it’s got small stuff, it’s got clearly defined arcs and a general sense of purpose with a realized world. You need the rules and the combat to add weight and consequence to the story.

Ben has done a great job of keeping things as focused as possible when you have Huber and Kyle...who are super wild cards that find ways to impulsively break campaigns. TTA was one that went way way too out there by the end. That was too much, from Huber just daring Ben to kill Hogger, to the over drawn spit wars, mecha suits, alien worlds and all sorts of nonsense.

Starting a campaign as small is all Well and good. They started TTE with a simple quest too (that they managed to bungle spectacularly). But there’s always going to be some escalation.

In the end I like the variety and ben for the most part mixed it up. After the baron arc, they had fun boat adventure. After that crazy island. After that they chilled in khalveed. And then Ben decided it’s time to wrap it up with the final arc.

And then poor Ben has to deal with us and our nonsense in the patreon campaign!

I don't think fights are that boring. They can be sometimes, but some of the best moments in TTE have involved fighting, and conflict via fighting can help propel the story forward. I at least got a bit frustrated in the first town they visited, because while there was a lot of funny stuff going on, plot development got stuck for quite a long while.

Following fights hasn't been very difficult for me because it hasn't seemed like the exact locations and such of characters has mattered very much. I just take them in one turn at a time, and go with the flow.

What has confused me, though, has been the amount of NPCs. So many NPCs have been introduced since the group left the puff place, that it's been hard to keep track of them all. A couple of episodes back I was totally lost on who was who, and although I do remember them a bit better now, I'm still not sure about all of them.

There is only one NPC worth remembering anyways.

BILE

Axass

Yeeeah, keep this real D&D out of my TTE.

Seriously though, dumb shenanigans are the best. I only hope for Jones to pop up every once in a while as some recurring (or non recurring) NPC's or something.
More grounded =/= less shenanigans. I'd prefer one of their campaigns to adhere a little more to standard D&D, I mean, less mystical stuff and less saving (or destroying) the world, a more cozy, intimate plot. They can have misadventures and crazy shenanigans without some epic main quest. Searching for a treasure, assaulting a castle, saving people, imprisoning an evil wizard... more self-contained, smaller scale stuff.

Case in point, the best parts of TTE have been when the group was in towns facing day to day situations, accepting crazy side quests and interacting with NPCs. I pretty much stopped following when in Khalveed suddenly hell broke loose without any warning: all the sidequests were forgotten once again, and we got back to the grind of the fighting.

The best part of TTE has been without a doubt (for me) the first town arc (the one with Moof betraying them and Law
dying
): everyone acted believably, the city felt like a real place, plenty of interesting things happened, and the arc had a nice and unpredictable resolution. However the whole arc was cut short again by Ben, with the invasion, it was cool and I get he has to move the story forward, but sometimes it feels artificial, and I'd have preferred another 20 episodes in that city anyway to all the fighting.

Anyway, just a matter of taste, Ben's a great DM when it comes down to it, much better than I ever was, especially at improvising.

The problem aren't fights per se, but the way they approach them IMO, as I said I'm quite behind right now, but for what I remember they mostly don't know the rules well, yet insist on following them. If you want to have fun fighting, you must know pretty well what you can and can't do, or else you risk spending dozen of minutes reading manuals and discussing about stuff. The other option is to just wing it and try to put the accent on role playing more than rules: that's what happened during the invasion with Law, the fight was much more fun to watch because Ben simply made up most of the rolls and attacks due to the weird situation (Law commanding troops, catapults, platoons of enemies everywhere): the result was a more dynamic situation that kept everyone on their toes, instead than something going on for hours with people mildly bored.

Mista Koo

A bit late, but Kyle wants spicy 1st party IP choices and lets Brandon's PSABR choice slide? You can hardly call it a franchise with only one game.

Also Zelda fans have bad taste in Nintendo games.

Karu

Gran Turismo preload done over night, can't wait for tomorrow morning (bought the US-version, cheaper than in GER and a day earlier). The Hard skip on the podcast recently was such a bummer, haha. The demo was really good.

All the while Stardew Valley is basically eating me alive on Switch. Can't wait for Odyssey to kill this devil for good. D:

Edit: Oh damn, before I forget to announce this: Ben dislikes Golden Sun. Ben, you're dead to me. :'-(

Mikey Jr.

Jesus Christ people.

Gang Beasts and Pokemon are neck and neck.

Please take your joke pokemon votes and put them into gang beasts.

This is no longer funny.

ShadyK54

What does November and December bring for releases? Does review season ever end?

Aside from Mario, Wolf 2, and AC: Origins, it looks like Call of Duty, Battlefront 2, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are the last big ones. Need for Speed if you want to count that one as well.

Bahorel

Also smaller things of note for November December would be Horizon Zero Dawn dlc, LA Noire rerelease, Skyrim switch, Super Luckys Tale, Sonic Forces, Resident Evil dlc, Steep expansion, Doom switch, Okami HD etc

WarRock

What does November and December bring for releases? Does review season ever end?
Dunno what EZA will review, and things won't be as crazy as the first quarter of the year or October, but there still is a good amount of games (some still with TBA 2017 dates though) that I could see them reviewing:
Code:
Ultra Sun/Moon
Xenoblade 2
Battlefront 2
Sonic Forces
.hack//GU remaster
Skyrim Switch
Mario Party Top 100
Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2
The Sims 4
Need for Speed Payback
LA Noire remaster
Okami HD
Doom Switch
Bubsy (!)
Zelda DLC
Horizon DLC
Snipperclips Plus
CoD WWII
Metal Gear Survive
Super Lucky's Tale
Dragon Marked for Death
South Park DLC
Death's Gambit
Battle Chef Brigade
Hand of Fate 2
Arena of Valor
FFXV Pocket Edition
RE7 DLC
Shakedown Hawaii
Floor Kids
Katana ZERO
+ some VR stuff

abrack08

That Pokemon surge. Don't you guys want to see which Pokemon Don picks for his team?! That's worth the price of admission right there.

dickroach

Dunno what EZA will review, and things won't be as crazy as the first quarter of the year or October, but there still is a good amount of games (some still with TBA 2017 dates though) that I could see them reviewing:
Code:
Ultra Sun/Moon
Xenoblade 2
Battlefront 2
Sonic Forces
.hack//GU remaster
Skyrim Switch
Mario Party Top 100
The Sims 4
Need for Speed Payback
LA Noire remaster
Okami HD
Doom Switch
Bubsy (!)
Zelda DLC
Horizon DLC
Snipperclips Plus
CoD WWII
Metal Gear Survive
Super Lucky's Tale
Dragon Marked for Death
South Park DLC
Death's Gambit
Battle Chef Brigade
Hand of Fate 2
Arena of Valor
FFXV Pocket Edition
RE7 DLC
Shakedown Hawaii
Floor Kids
Katana ZERO
+ some VR stuff

most of those are ports and remasters and whatever. those ain't getting touched

definitely:
Xenoblade 2
Battlefront 2
Wolfenstain 2
COD WW2
NFS Payback

maybe:
The Inpatient
Sonic Forces
Hello Neighbor
Bubsy
Lego Marvel 2

Mikey Jr.

Aside from Mario, Wolf 2, and AC: Origins, it looks like Call of Duty, Battlefront 2, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are the last big ones. Need for Speed if you want to count that one as well.

Man, there is nothing for me this holiday.

I used to get excited about holiday releases, but not so much anymore.

Seems like Spring is the next excitement for me.

Wolf: couldn't play the first one. Gave me a massive headache. Plus constantly picking up bullets/armor was a massive chore.

Creed: the thought of "open minimap and see literally 1 million icons" has me already anxious. Other than that, not into Creed anymore. Combat never feels fun.

Mario: not a lot of interest here. Feels like I've played this game for the sixth time already. These types of games really don't excite me anymore. No real love for Mario probably doesn't help.

Cod: first cod in a while that I have an interest in. Too bad it's for the sp only. Played about 5 hours of the mp and feels like I've had my fill. Will pick this up when it gets a lot cheaper.

Bf2: graphics look gorgeous. And I'd be all over this if I cared even a little about star wars. Like the movies, don't care too much about anything outside of it.
I might get this if I saw more about the sp game. But it feels like a complete enigma. Have we even seen any single player gameplay?
My fear is that it'll be just mp maps repackaged.

X2: Jesus, talk about an ugly artstyle. Typical anime artstyle, no noses, and the usual female protagonist with huge honking tits and "pants" that might as well be a thong.
Comparing the charm of this game to the original is night and day.
Still hard for me to believe that this game is the sequel to the amazing first one.
It'll be on my radar though because it's the sequel. That's the only reason I'll even consider it.
But I'll only get it when the hype has died down and we get the real verdict on the game.

Overall, a lot of this stuff I'd usually get over because I enjoy supporting this industry.
But I live in Canada, and with tax, games are now $90, so I am a LOT more discerning. I have to be more frugal with my money now. That's why I sold my switch and Zelda (didn't like it too much anyways). And it's why I don't buy digital too much, so I can trade in.

Plus, I'll be honest, I'm having so much fun with these new games I've found.
Just cause 3 is TONS of fun. Might start to wear thin later on, but right now, thanks to plus, it's a "free" game I'm enjoying a lot.

Also, fortnite br. Also lots of fun, especially with a 4 man squad. Never played a game like this before. It's like discovering a brand new genre you never knew existed. It's exciting.

Week 2, and the group selection committee has already done work.

3 great fun games that probably would have never come up.

-Gang Beasts

-PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

-Pokémon Stadium 2

I'm voting for Gang Beasts personally.

that's the first time i ever seen anybody call PSASBR "fun".

Paches

YouTube comments are like staring in to the eclipse. You know you shouldn't, but you take a peek anyways. What a mistake.

the1npc

I feel you Mikey, game prices here are crazy. I got dangonrompa v3 and south park (pre order from last year) and my budget wont allow for more new games really. Horizon GOTY edition is tempting but ill wait for a sale.

Theres lots of older ps4 games Ive been meaning to try so im good.

I'm with you on Xenoblade Chronicles 2. If 1 didn't exist, I would have no excitement for the game. It doesn't look good at all and the character designs are awful. Every trailer that comes out has me telling myself that I enjoyed XC1 and I should be excited for it but... it's hard.

The story also looks like it's going to be filled with countless dumb anime tropes.

Servbot24

Banned
Have they said if they're reviewing Gran Turismo Sport? That's one of the rare games where it's hard to predict how good it will be.

Axass

Ultra Sun/Moon
Xenoblade 2
Battlefront 2
Sonic Forces
.hack//GU remaster
Skyrim Switch
Need for Speed Payback
LA Noire remaster
Doom Switch
CoD WWII
Metal Gear Survive

The bolded ones I'm positive they'll review. The others have a chance I guess.

WarRock

I never played the Xeno games but X2 really interests me. That video where they went over the combat system plus some shots of towns and fields grabbed my attention pretty hard.

@November/december games
It wouldn't impress me if Metal Gear Survive gets delayed tbh.

PSASBR can be fun and has some neat stuff in it (I vaguely remember a God of War level with patapons and Kat as a DLC character) but it's a forgettable game that honestly shouldn't exist. Sony missed the boat not making a Power Stone clone instead.

They should've fully copied Smash's design with stocks, blast zones, etc. Had it been an identical clone with its gameplay, it would have been more successful and had a larger following.

A Power Stone clone could've been cool too.

Man, there is nothing for me this holiday.

I used to get excited about holiday releases, but not so much anymore.

I cut down your post because it was a long one but yeah, I'm in a similar boat. I'll probably buy Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon (not sure which) and I'm kinda interested in Assassin's Creed Origins, so might pick it up at some point depending on how the reviews go, but other than those, there's not a whole lot for me. I'm mainly just focusing on my backlog, keeping my eye on sales and gearing up for another insane Q1/Q2 next year.

I never played the Xeno games but X2 really interests me. That video where they went over the combat system plus some shots of towns and fields grabbed my attention pretty hard.

@November/december games
It wouldn't impress me if Metal Gear Survive gets delayed tbh.

Metal Gear Survive was already delayed to Early 2018 way back at E3. Whatever release list you used to make that list obviously missed that.

Top Bottom