• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed officially revealed for Street Fighter V

"Inseparable"

I hope Balrog and Ed never break up.

mv_en.jpg

It's funny, Balrog was always a horrible, shallow, borderline offensive character IMO,
but this Ed storyline has instantly made him 100x more likable and interesting.

FluxWaveZ

It's funny, Balrog was always a horrible, shallow, borderline offensive character IMO, but this Ed storyline has instantly made him 100x more interesting.

Yeah, it's part of the reason I like Ed himself. The fact that Balrog of all characters would get some kind of development through becoming a kind of foster father is really neat. I like that they were willing to follow through with it.

Neoxon

"Inseparable"

mv_en.jpg

It's funny, Balrog was always a horrible, shallow, borderline offensive character IMO,
I feel like Balrog's the Yondu to Ed's Star-Lord (as I implied by the Yondu quote from a few days ago). He's basically Ed's true father figure
, & the Star-Lord analogy fits even more if you saw GotG Vol. 2

Cue the avatar quotes

JusDoIt

The song is decent though? lol, some of the reactions in this thread are just...expected actually, it's an SFV thread after all.

The theme is trash. Hiphop and Street Fighter go together, but don't give us some corny ass "Lose Yourself" knockoff for a theme and expect us to appreciate it when we got Kendrick and Migos to listen to.

The theme is trash. Hiphop and Street Fighter go together, but don't give us some corny ass "Lose Yourself" knockoff for a theme and expect us to appreciate it when we got Kendrick and Migos to listen to.

You know Capcom can't afford them. So they gotta work with what they got.

I mean what do you expect? Metro boomin doing a track? Cmon fam don't play yourself.

Pachinko

Is that song actually his theme or just another Lupe Fiasco tune ? I honestly wasn't sure. I liked it ! I mean it's no TJ combo theme from KI season 2 but it's still pretty catchy.

Tizoc

I feel like Balrog's the Yondu to Ed's Star-Lord (as I implied by the Yondu quote from a few days ago). He's basically Ed's true father figure
, & the Star-Lord analogy fits even more if you saw GotG Vol. 2

Cue the avatar quotes
Nah the gotg 2 thing came to mind too heh

JusDoIt

You know Capcom can't afford them. So they gotta work with what they got.

They should avoid rappers and vocalists for stage and character themes all together. 3rd Strike played it smart. They had Infinite rhyming during the menus and intro, and you could appreciate it, because his rhymes wasn't lost in the mix. That Infinite was actually dope didn't hurt either.

But for the stages it was just jungle and acid jazz inspired beats. Some stages had vocal samples, but nobody was spitting a 16 during matches. Fighting game themes need tight and discrete loops. You add lots of lyrics in the mix and it sounds cluttered and distracting (this song and the airplane stage theme being examples).

Lulubop

They should avoid rappers and vocalists for stage and character themes all together. 3rd Strike played it smart. They had Infinite rhyming during the menus and intro, and you could appreciate it, because his rhymes wasn't lost in the mix. That Infinite was actually dope didn't hurt either.

But for the stages it was just jungle and acid jazz inspired beats. Some stages had vocal samples, but nobody was spitting a 16 during matches. Fighting game themes need tight and discrete loops. You add lots of lyrics in the mix and it sounds cluttered and distracting (this song and the airplane stage theme being examples).

true

aly

"Inseparable"

Capcom actually got me invested in this relationship too. I mean it has interesting lore and stakes in it.

PK Gaming

"Inseparable"

mv_en.jpg

Right? Such an unusual, way out of left field character dynamic. Very much appreciated though.

Wallach

definitely kind of feels like there is a potential vader / luke / palpatine situation brewing in the future

honestly both bison and balrog could use the character development, but especially balrog

Wallach

so have they given any hints about where shadaloo actually got ed in the first place?

like was he abducted as a kid or actually created

it kind of dawned on me that he actually reminds me a lot of a young nash physically

lupinko

so have they given any hints about where shadaloo actually got ed in the first place?

like was he abducted as a kid or actually created

it kind of dawned on me that he actually reminds me a lot of a young nash physically

Abducted as a kid and experimented on.

Rymuth

I hope Ed didn't become a villain in the end and more of anti hero. I like his backstory so far.
Balrogs been teaching him the value of money. In his study mode, they accept a job from Urien. I can see them traveling the world, fixing fights and hustling villains.

I'm sure they can be convinced to work for the good guys one time...if Karin forks over the cash

The disdain comes from leveraging a pile of dull assets. Not that hard to understand. If they reused remade Hakan, Oro, etc., would be one thing. But if you're going to introduce new fighters, don't have them come from a half assed last minute story mode that was slapped together to stop the bleeding.

Wait...what? To reuse assets you'd have to actually...reuse assets. Where did Ed's come from? Sure as heck wasn't story mode.

lupinko

Nope. Ed was an experiment created by S.I.N. Another bison clone body created like Able to wield psycho power.

Eh I just read that somewhere and I think maybe even from Capcom themselves but they don't really keep up themselves either.

Weird that most of those story screen are of young Ed but you obviously will be using buff Ed during the battles. Guess it'll only be one fight this time again, probably against Bison's Ghost.

Top Bottom