• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed officially revealed for Street Fighter V

nded

Both Hillside Plaza and the for some reason Story mode-only Laura vs. Ken music are so much better than her actual theme.

It's weird how much work went into music, animations, stages and special intros that we haven't seen outside of story mode. It's been nearly a year and we still can't use the stage in Urien's character art even though it's right there in the game files.

Kouichi

I love his theme. I've rewatched the trailer so many times because of it. It's cool to see Capcom try some new stuff with their character themes.

It's weird how much work went into music, animations, stages and special intros that we haven't seen outside of story mode. It's been nearly a year and we still can't use the stage in Urien's character art even though it's right there in the game files.

We also can't use this AMAZING track from the end of the story mode, which should definitely be an alternate theme for Ryu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s66WsfSlR8

It even includes shades of his SF3 Theme.

I always thought Ed was kind of a boring character. Hopefully they flesh him out a bit more.

I also think his default and battle costumes look like hot garbage. He looks like such a dumbshit in his default costume, I can't even handle it. Story costume is all right though, even if a little bland.

Gameplay-wise, he looks cool. I really like his V-Skill. Good addition.

Dali

I always thought Ed was kind of a boring character. Hopefully they flesh him out a bit more.

I also think his default and battle costumes look like hot garbage. He looks like such a dumbshit in his default costume, I can't even handle it. Story costume is all right though, even if a little bland.

If he tosses the cape and the hat at the beginning of the fight then the battle costume would be pretty cool. Just tossing the cape would be a huge improvement.

Yeah it's perplexing. I remember folks have modded the night time city in chaos level into the game. Really cool looking stage.

Pompadour

That's what I really dislike about cinematic story modes in fighting games. All that work for a 4 hour mode people will play once.

I'd rather they spent that time giving opponent specific character intros or something.

His Story costume is the most bland of the three. Aspects of his Default and Battle costumes are goofy but they're way less boring than a hoodie and sweat pants.

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Chemical catalyst, rattling of a hazardous
Subdued by all my memories but never been a pacifist
So put up put up the fists it's hard to resist
But I just might lose control so shoot and I never do miss
I gotta take a risk if I wanna have it all
So let go of the poison and the venom
I'm sinning I'm sinning the voices all spinning with the visions all written
Got the pictures of my prophecy, develop my philosophy
Woke up in the morning and told the world to get back off of me
Yeah
And still the nightmares creeping up at night
I'm a fragment in the mirror seeing black and white
Like, who is me and who is gonna take me over?
My soul is my soul in the eyes of the beholder
Yeah, and now there's darkness in the chaos
Try to see the light and hope the positives will pay off
Ain't no time for stressing when the time is of this essence
Take these two fists and swing them back into your direction
Woo!
'Cause that's the way I got it
And don't the sound of doom always sound so melodic
Look into the future know the end is coming near
Even though I'm standing tall in the face of all this fear
Clear
Vision's serving life like a sentence
Gotta stay strong that's the reason I'm so vicious
A barking dog, take it all never fall
You ringing for the champ? Then I'm the one who get the call
So let me tell you a little something about this life
You can't commit to the game and you can't commit to fight
But the thing is that with every passing of the night
Nobody actually makes it out of this world alive

sephi22

I want Ed to be an asshole kid who's okay with being Bison 2.0.

But predictably he's going to be your cool, edgy, tragic backstory anti-hero who's haunted by Bison and is trying to find his own way that's not becoming another Bison. Cammy 2.0

Fuck that. Game needs more bad guys

I want Ed to be an asshole kid who's okay with being Bison 2.0.

But predictably he's going to be your cool, edgy, tragic backstory anti-hero who's haunted by Bison and is trying to find his own way that's not becoming another Bison. Cammy 2.0

Fuck that. Game needs more bad guys

While ED is going to be another "Bison spare body #26" that's rebelling against his fate, i doubt he's going to be an anti-hero.

If anything he might just follow in Balrog's greedy footsteps. or at the very least someone who won't antagonize people but just stroll through life as a neutral.

Not above doing shady things for profit, but not for the pleasure of it.

Beckx

i mean unless he's decided to put the life of helping Balrog fuck shit up and steal things from the good guys behind him, he's not a hero/anti-hero/non-bad guy.

Maaaaaaybe will be a SFV Juri-like tweener.

Still mildly disappointed he's not kid Ed fucking shit up with Psycho-Boxing but oh well, he's still cool.

Good for SF to get into the Tekken totally normal naming game too.

mbpm1

While ED is going to be another "Bison spare body #26" that's rebelling against his fate, i doubt he's going to be an anti-hero.

If anything he might just follow in Balrog's greedy footsteps. or at the very least someone who won't antagonize people but just stroll through life as a neutral.

That would make sense, but it would also make sense for Necalli to be a threat

The disdain comes from leveraging a pile of dull assets. Not that hard to understand. If they reused remade Hakan, Oro, etc., would be one thing. But if you're going to introduce new fighters, don't have them come from a half assed last minute story mode that was slapped together to stop the bleeding.

I'm going to blow your mind: maybe, just maybe, the reason these characters are in the story mode to begin with is because they were already planned as the new characters joining the roster. And really, you think they "slapped" the story mode together as a reaction? I mean really?

Basically what it seems to come down to is that you have zero comprehension of how making a video game works. I think people would react a lot better to you if you simply said you didn't like the game or the characters instead of trying to come up with bullshit excuses for why they are doing something "wrong".

vg260

We need Rose back to keep him in line.

joe2187

Banned
That would make sense, but it would also make sense for Necalli to be a threat

yrIra35.jpg

And is it still a slog to earn FM? I didn't even enjoy hacking my way to FM in challenge mode, or whatever mode it was that let you buy buffs.

Yes. There are weekly challenges that can get you around 7,000 FM a week, so if you do those every week you'll have close to enough for a new character, but getting FM aside from that still sucks.

And is it still a slog to earn FM? I didn't even enjoy hacking my way to FM in challenge mode, or whatever mode it was that let you buy buffs.

Just doing the story mode + Trials + Demonstrations + easy survival is a very reliable way to get FM and it's not even difficult or particularly time consuming.

Every character has them, even the DLC characters.

Neoxon

Sounds like you haven't played in a while. SFV now has a Mission Mode where you can do stuff both offline & online to earn Fight Money. You can typically earn 6,000-10,000 FM through doing the missions for each week. There's also Trials, Demonstrations, & Character Stories where you can earn Fight Money.

Likewise, watching CPT events & ELeague on Twitch can also net you Fight Money (for reference, ELeague last week allowed you to earn 5,000 FM). The caveat with this is that it's only for PS4 players.

I do not know about you guys but I kind of dig his design. Of course his story mode costume is much better but I do not dislike his normal costume. I really like how his gameplay is turning out, kind of a Steve Fox vibe going on with him. The motions or lack thereof will be interesting though. If that is his theme that is in the trailer I am really liking it.

Likewise, watching CPT events & ELeague on Twitch can also net you Fight Money (for reference, ELeague last week allowed you to earn 5,000 FM). The caveat with this is that it's only for PS4 players.

Huh, I didn't know this, how exactly does that work?

You go to CapcomFighters on Twitch and there should be a tab called 'Quests' (e.g tweet about the event, get 500FM etc) it should ask you to log in with your PSN ID

Alrighty then, I'll probably never end up doing it but it's interesting that such a way to get FM exists.

Takuan

Just doing the story mode + Trials + Demonstrations + easy survival is a very reliable way to get FM and it's not even difficult or particularly time consuming.

Every character has them, even the DLC characters.

Sounds like you haven't played in a while. SFV now has a Mission Mode where you can do stuff both offline & online to earn Fight Money. You can typically earn 6,000-10,000 FM through doing the missions for each week. There's also Trials, Demonstrations, & Character Stories where you can earn Fight Money.

Yes. There are weekly challenges that can get you around 7,000 FM a week, so if you do those every week you'll have close to enough for a new character, but getting FM aside from that still sucks.

I stopped playing shortly after 'rog came out, so I've already exhausted most of the FM from Story and Demos. I do have a lot of Normal and Hard trials to complete, but frankly I'm not that good to complete Hard and it's boring to even cheat through. Speaking of which, did they ever crack down on cheat engines?

Weekly missions is completely new to me, so I'll try that out. Reminds me of the F2P model, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. Hopefully these are quick/easy challenges to complete.

Who's brilliant idea was it to lock event currency rewards to the PS4? He or they need a smack upside their heads.

I stopped playing shortly after 'rog came out, so I've already exhausted most of the FM from Story and Demos. I do have a lot of Normal and Hard trials to complete, but frankly I'm not that good to complete Hard and it's boring to even cheat through. Speaking of which, did they ever crack down on cheat engines?

Weekly missions is completely new to me, so I'll try that out. Reminds me of the F2P model, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. Hopefully these are quick/easy challenges to complete.

Who's brilliant idea was it to lock event currency rewards to the PS4? He or they need a smack upside their heads.

Easy survival is a breeze if you haven't done those. You also get FM for leveling characters. And yeah they have cracked down on cheating.

It was Sony's since they help fund the CPT.

Takuan

Easy survival is a breeze if you haven't done those. You also get FM for leveling characters. And yeah they have cracked down on cheating.
Yeah, I've gone through easy for everyone save the DLC characters that have been released since Juri (I forgot she came out after 'Rog). Still plenty of characters to take through Normal, I think, so I'll fire it up tonight and do some grinding. I'm pretty sure I blew most of my remaining balance on Juri.

It was Sony's since they help fund the CPT.
Ah, okay. Fair's fair.

all balrog cares about is the fight money and...ed lol

Giving him his own Sakura means he's gotten over. Well, okay, what really got him over was having FANG around to be the new whipping boy for the hero team, freeing Balrog and Vega up to go be proper badass characters.

Thanks, FANG, for being just the worst!

New Beta:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...eta)/cid=UP0102-CUSA08733_00-SFVCFN200BETA000

Street Fighter V CFN Beta Test Game Client

Test out the new Capcom Fighters Network! Available 05.11 - 05.14.2017. All released characters are unlocked for play and since the purpose of the test is to try out the improved online infrastructure, only online modes have been enabled for play.

They also added a bundle in the PSN store for all the Battle Outfits (for non DLC characters) for 29.99

Allforce

The Missions are basically what keeps me playing this regularly. I'm not big on online but every Friday I check in to see what the Missions are. There's always 1 that's worth 5K that is easy and can be done Vs CPU, it always has a vague clue and has to do with a background element in one of the stages. Like "make this waiter drop his serving tray" or "wake the dog up". You do it just by knocking your opponent down in front of them and triggering the animation, and then winning the match. Just Google the name of the Mission and you'll find the answer if you can't figure it out yourself.

Then there's always a 1K one that involves something online like "Win 10 Casual/Ranked/Battle Lounge matches".

Then there's usually a 500 one for doing something stupid like "Check out a replay on CFN!" which you just go into in the menu.

And last but not least always one that is 100 that is like "Do 10 V-Trigger/CrossUp/Critical Art Attacks" and they only work online. You'll usually get this just by trying to get the online Mission each week.

So basically you're guaranteed at least 5500K FM each week for not even playing online. Sometimes there's more but I've never seen less than that and I have done the Missions every week since they started them.

The Missions are basically what keeps me playing this regularly. I'm not big on online but every Friday I check in to see what the Missions are. There's always 1 that's worth 5K that is easy and can be done Vs CPU, it always has a vague clue and has to do with a background element in one of the stages. Like "make this waiter drop his serving tray" or "wake the dog up". You do it just by knocking your opponent down in front of them and triggering the animation, and then winning the match. Just Google the name of the Mission and you'll find the answer if you can't figure it out yourself.

Then there's always a 1K one that involves something online like "Win 10 Casual/Ranked/Battle Lounge matches".

Then there's usually a 500 one for doing something stupid like "Check out a replay on CFN!" which you just go into in the menu.

And last but not least always one that is 100 that is like "Do 10 V-Trigger/CrossUp/Critical Art Attacks" and they only work online. You'll usually get this just by trying to get the online Mission each week.

So basically you're guaranteed at least 5500K FM each week for not even playing online. Sometimes there's more but I've never seen less than that and I have done the Missions every week since they started them.

And on top of this, you'll be picking up FM if you're winning Ranked matches while trying to complete the Missions.

Top Bottom