• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #272 - Far Cry 4 cover story, Bayonetta 2 gets a 10

First one also got a 10.

Because people love to bitch about lists here's their top 10 games of the generation:

10 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
7 Super Street Fighter IV
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

Pretty good list actually. LittleBigPlanet sticks out like a sore thumb though, and personally I'd switch GTAV out (or at least move it to the very back), but otherwise quite good.

Edge reviews are the biggest load of bollocks ever, so inconsistent.

This here is the biggest load of bollocks, ever. Edge doesn't even get close, even at its very worst.

Yeah when I ask my friends why the ps4 is better they can't even explain why, its like they have been brainwashed. They say its better for gaming and has better graphics then I show em comparison vids ony 40 inch1080p tv and they are like ''its exactly the same'' even for cod ghosts.

and it's not like you can say you don't get paid for what you write.

Lernaean

Banned
It's is a shame, but doesn't change how good the game is.
Sales don't correlate well with Quality, unfortunately. It's not only the games industry that suffers from this problem.
Even if initial sales are low, I feel it could still sustain a consistent sell through rate and maybe do 'OK' in the end with all territories considered, and respective of the platform install base.

As i said, i expect a PG game to sell better in the west than in Japan. I'd wait for October 24th sales before i judge.

And as you said, no matter what, the game is great, if people won't buy it, it's their loss.

SuomiDude

Glad I pre-ordered the game (Bayo 2) already. Should get it day one, the special edition, though of course I'll play Bayo 1 first, haven't played the game yet.

Vlade

First one also got a 10.

Because people love to bitch about lists here's their top 10 games of the generation:

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

I love this list.

Zemm

As someone that hasn't played the first game yet due to poor frame rate and insane tearing I can't wait. This plus MK8 dlc and Divinity should last me quite some time.

How are reviews being unpredictable a bad thing?

I think I found a pattern, though. It's mostly based on observation, but this is what I think:

If a reviewer likes a game, it will get a high score. If they don't like a game, it will get a low score.

It's almost like they have differing opinions and shit.

Sorry, I didn't elaborate enough. I meant that they seem to vary away from the mean more often and more heavily than most other publications, and personally I find myself disagreeing with them quite a lot. But yeah, of course that is just my opinion.

SuomiDude

you haven't played the first one? You are in for the best Climax of your life my friend.
Haha, this is a blind buy for me yes. But people seem to praise the game(s), and getting two games at the price of one was also too good deal to pass. I also don't really care too much about the genre, but Nintendo tricked me good :D

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

That's actually not a bad list. Mine would go like this, in no particular order.

Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo EAD Tokyo)
Dark Souls (From Software)
Dead Space (Visceral Games)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Retro Studios)
Portal 2 (Valve Corporation)
No More Heroes (Grasshopper Manufacture)
The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo EAD Group 3)
Bioshock (Irrational Games)
Red Steel 2 (Ubisoft Paris)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Retro Studios)

Did GAF do a last gen top ten as well?

Nope, not yet.

Astral Dog

I actually agree with the Metacritic scores of Platinum games, to me Bayonetta was their best by far, and their Rising/Wonderful 101 around 80 is understandable,i imagine a game with 95+ is going to blow my mind.

Whatever, the 10 from EDGE is a good start! lets hope for some good review scores

Esque7

People say Platinum can do no wrong, but what about Madworld? All it had going for it was the visual style imo.

K-A-Deman

Too bad Bayonetta 2 bombed in Japan...

because 2-5 days sales = the total lifetime of a game.

Is it at all possible that the first batch of sales was more-so due to a cautious eye and waiting to hear reviews? I mean people that have been following the game have been convinced thanks to the Directs and Treehouse spotlights of the game, but not everyone pays attention to those and only knows that the game's coming out. If the game gets consistently good reviews and Nintendo really pushes to advertise that fact, It could create a whole different scenario. Hell look at what happened with Avatar; first few weeks were middling, then word of mouth skyrocketed it into 2 billion dollar range.

Word of Mouth is a powerful tool, something Nintendo knows and tried to utilize as their main form of advertisement (as we can see, that didn't work out so well.).

Lernaean

Banned

Also may i remind that W101 opened with 5k in Japan, and was a critical failure, whether you agree or not (i certainly don't), while Bayo 2 opened with 38k and is so far a critical success.
I still believe that it will make 500k worldwide lifetime sales, and to tell you the truth, i expected about 20k this opening weekend (it's a weekend, not week) in Japan.

Astral Dog

People say Platinum can do no wrong, but what about Madworld? All it had going for it was the visual style imo.

Wonderful101 too, they definetly arent PERFECT, but still create great and innovative games on the genre with their distinct style, good mechanics,etc.its a very special studio,although i wish Capcom made more games in a certain action series.

Ferr986

First one also got a 10.

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

thats probably the best scored list I have seen on the media

Astral Dog

Is it at all possible that the first batch of sales was more-so due to a cautious eye and waiting to hear reviews? I mean people that have been following the game have been convinced thanks to the Directs and Treehouse spotlights of the game, but not everyone pays attention to those and only knows that the game's coming out. If the game gets consistently good reviews and Nintendo really pushes to advertise that fact, It could create a whole different scenario. Hell look at what happened with Avatar; first few weeks were middling, then word of mouth skyrocketed it into 2 billion dollar range.

Word of Mouth is a powerful tool, something Nintendo knows and tried to utilize as their main form of advertisement (as we can see, that didn't work out so well.).

Its very difficult for that to happen on Wii U unfortunately, it doesnt matter, a lot of people will judge the quality based on sales:"it bombed anyways" "lol they get what they deserve for releasing it on Wii U" " Im gonna wait for bomba prices" if not that, then the Framerate , Graphics, or even the new Colorful look.

Lernaean

Banned
Its very difficult for that to happen on Wii U unfortunately, it doesnt matter, a lot of people will judge the quality based on sales:"it bombed anyways" "lol they get what they deserve for releasing it on Wii U" " Im gonna wait for bomba prices" if not that, then the Framerate , Graphics, or even the new Colorful look.

It's because 'gamers' today have more fun playing console warriors and being a smartass on the internet than they have by actually playing games. And with the state of AAA games those 'gamers' usually play, i seriously can't blame them.

Regiruler

Also may i remind that W101 opened with 5k in Japan, and was a critical failure, whether you agree or not (i certainly don't), while Bayo 2 opened with 38k and is so far a critical success.
I still believe that it will make 500k worldwide lifetime sales, and to tell you the truth, i expected about 20k this opening weekend (it's a weekend, not week) in Japan.

Sort of a tangential curiosity: do we know how much W101 has sold WW to date? I'm curious as to how much impact the price drop had.

Lernaean

Banned
Sort of a tangential curiosity: do we know how much W101 has sold WW to date? I'm curious as to how much impact the price drop had.

Look, vg****** says 250k, but ofc we don't trust them. That said, it was about 60k by the end of 2013 and i suspect surely about 150k by now, which is low ofc.
But if W101 opened with 5k and ended with more than 100k, i surely expect Bayo2 which opened with 38k in its first weekend to do 500k in a year or so.

Game is pretty much done in Japan, no worth of mouth will do anything to it. Better be realistic about it. Optimistically better case scenario that tears expectation would be 200k life time sales, hopefuly withouth too much discounted prices. And that's stretching it.

The situation doesn't look any better in Europe, Wii U is pretty much ignored there and the masses are gathering around the PS4.

Basically is up to north America to help mitigate Bayonetta 2 abysmal sales. Nintendo is not to keen on promoting the game in any meaningful way.

i do wonder however what a potential inclusion of Bayonetta in the Smash Bros roster would have done for the game's sales? Imagine having her in the 3DS version leading to Bayonetta's release and then having extra exposure with the Wii U version. Rather strange omission since Bayo 2 is a Wii U exclusive and the character coming from an action game is a perfect fit for that game.

So the 2 Bayonettas got 10 in Edge, if it was the same reviewer maybe he has a crush going on with Netta XD

That top ten has maybe 3 games I'd agree with.

Bayonetta looks cool, never played the first one, and unfortunately I'll never play the second.

Gta v should be in the top spot.

stay gold

Surprised they don't have Halo 3 on their list considering they gave it 10/10 . Much better game than COD4 (which I also like).

Good for Bayo 2. Platinums output is insanely high quality.

Ganondorfo

I understand now why japanese developers wont make great games anymore, why bother if most people wont buy it, in that case I understand them, because everyone in the world likes to buy games like call of duty and fifa. So why should a japanese developer bother to create a masterpiece if the majority wouldnt even buy it. Even on Gaf most people wont buy this game.

Azure J

Man, now I'm kinda glad I missed a lot of media for this game. It's going to be a doozy. :lol

tumblr_mb7pjn18vY1qffe1lo3_500.gif

How have I never seen your (new-ish) tag before? :lol

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Awww shit yeah. It's one of those games you could tell was quality just by watching it's demo..
Congrats Platinum you guys deserve it.

Gator86

Awww shit yeah. It's one of those games you could tell was quality just by watching it's demo..
Congrats Platinum you guys deserve it.

I hope the reviews will console them when they see the sales numbers. Going to be a lot of tears in the NPD for the month of October. I don't even expect Bayo 2 to hit W101 numbers.

I can't believe it. Is Platinium Games *that* good?

I played MGS Rising and it was a gameplay experience unlike any other. Never have I felt so much in control of a main character. The way Raiden handled was almost perfect. The speed, the simplicity with just mashing buttons, with added layers. It's an outstanding video game, and people telling me to pick up a rock and go into the ocean because I haven't played their other games.. I don't know. Maybe they were right.

I played some of Bayonetta and it was wonderful.

Lernaean

Banned
I hope the reviews will console them when they see the sales numbers. Going to be a lot of tears in the NPD for the month of October. I don't even expect Bayo 2 to hit W101 numbers.

Please keep those tears in a bottle, some of us feed on them. And fyi it already has sold 8 times as much as W101 did in Japan.

They'll always have work because they are that talented.

If sales figures bothered them that much, they'd all have quit their jobs by now.

Top Bottom