• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #272 - Far Cry 4 cover story, Bayonetta 2 gets a 10

Moofers

tumblr_mo9l0tZOWs1r72ht7o1_500.gif
FarooqDamn.gif

I was pretty impressed with it at PAX. Day One for me. Does anyone know if Bayonetta 1 being included is a limited time thing or not?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They'll always have work because they are that talented.

If sales figures bothered them that much, they'd all have quit their jobs by now.

Yeah as long as they keep that quality up, they'll still get projects, basically why Microsoft is now funding them. For nothing else they seem relatively cheap for a decently high metacritic when it goes right. I hope they contain getting lots of work as they seem to be one of the few developers dedicated to pushing in as much fun content as possible without trying to screw you over with dlc. A good quality old school dev.

Malvingt2

First one also got a 10.

Because people love to bitch about lists here's their top 10 games of the generation:

10 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
7 Super Street Fighter IV
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

oh! I can't say it is a bad list but it is not a good one neither.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/514776281494216704

People already make Kamiya pissed off lol
No love for Hashimoto, that's a shame.

Hashimoto ran with Kamiya's template and made it better it seems.

They both deserve credit for their accomplishment but yeah, Hashimoto was driving the ship this time but he's not a celebrity so he'll be under the radar but those that follow games...know.

Props to Kuroda too, she seems like a cool and really talented developer.

And you also can't forget Inaba just because he's a badass.

I guess Kamiya and his team right next to Hashimoto and his really pushed both projects and the results are glorious.

Lernaean

Banned

They both deserve credit for their accomplishment but yeah, Hashimoto was driving the ship this time but he's not a celebrity so he'll be under the radar but those that follow games...know.

I guess Kamiya and his team right next to Hashimoto and his really pushed both projects and the results are glorious.

I sent to all them twitters earlier today, JP too :p i just had to congratulate all of them.
Kuroda answered too >.<

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So the Bayo 1 & Bayo 2 pack that will occupy last month of October and most of November is a 20/20 from Edge. Not bad. Only 1 month to go.

Question for people who played Bayo 1:

I had a really tough time with another Platinum game - Wonderful 101. Is Bayonetta bit more accessible if I was confused and frustrated with W101? I don't mind a bit of challenge but I'm also not terribly experienced with these type of fast paced action games.

Lernaean

Banned

I had a really tough time with another Platinum game - Wonderful 101. Is Bayonetta bit more accessible if I was confused and frustrated with W101? I don't mind a bit of challenge but I'm also not terribly experienced with these type of fast paced action games.

It is a lot more accessible.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Bayonetta's fairly simple (though it has a lot of depth) with a plethora of ways to allow people inexperienced to enjoy it. You won't kick ass or get gold/platinum's or anything, but it won't be all that punishing. Playing through it again harder difficulties unlocks more stuff (there's a lot of stuff to unlock generall0, and you get more proficient at it. It's all very rewarding.

Lernaean

Banned
Well yeah, that is the asterix, any potential sequel. I don't expect good numbers barring a small miracle.

If it bombs there may not be another and if it sells average/good then Nintendo will publish the next one too.
So everyone who claim to actually care about the IP should support this game so maybe we'll see more of it. It's that simple.
I believe it will sell average/good tbh.

fuckk only have money set down for a ps4 ;_; bayonetta is one of my all time favorite games.

Then see what games you want to play and buy the console that plays them. Consoles are machines that play games. Without games they are just cheap paperweights.

Bayonetta's fairly simple (though it has a lot of depth) with a plethora of ways to allow people inexperienced to enjoy it. You won't kick ass or get gold/platinum's or anything, but it won't be all that punishing. Playing through it again harder difficulties unlocks more stuff (there's a lot of stuff to unlock generall0, and you get more proficient at it. It's all very rewarding.

Thanks, that sounds appealing. I respect the depth in W101 and I even sat down and watched a ton of instructional videos but I found they didn't help me that much, really don't want to have to put that much effort in again. I'm fine with something that is playable at surface but offers rewards for learning its nuances.

Anth0ny

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

This is a fantastic list and it comes pretty close to mine:

10. Portal
9. Megaman 9
8. Street Fighter IV
7. Red Dead Redemption
6. Grand Theft Auto V
5. The Last of Us
4. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
3. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
1. Dark Souls

Dumb question.... where can I find a physical copy of Edge? I've never seen them in Gamestops or other game stores. I live in a decent sized city, so if there's a chain that you've seen it in I probably have one near me and would like to know.

Akiller

I sent to all them twitters earlier today, JP too :p i just had to congratulate all of them.
Kuroda answered too >.<

Lerny on Twitter, gotta add you fast.

I know, but a lot of times Kamiya had to remind people that they must congratulate
Hashimoto , not him.

Atsushi motherfucking Inaba is probably the only person in the world who can say "Fuck off" to Kamiya.

Lunar15

I'm not one to put stock in reviews, but if there's one thing I can take away from the Bayonetta 2 score, it's that I don't think we need to worry about the game being a major letdown from the original. That's a good thing.

SykoTech

Because people love to bitch about lists here's their top 10 games of the generation:

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

Not bad. Not bad at all. Way better than all the lists IGN's been shitting out lately.

Nice to see LBP on there. Game deserves the love. Super SFIV, Portal, and Mario Galaxy are great picks as well.

Also nice to see Skyward Sword not on there. If I remember right it got a 10 as well, which I thought was way off base.

Beaulieu

So what exactly does Far Cry 4 do differently? Has anything been said by the devs prior to this magazine? Seems exactly like Far Cry 3 to me.

Remember reading a lenghty game informer preview around E3. Coop is one of the major changes I remember.

Monocle

Aww yeah, Bayonetta!

So Bayonetta 2 might turn out alright after all? Huh.
Was that ever in doubt? The dev team is the same as far as I'm aware, director aside (and Kamiya still consulted), Platinum reps have had nothing but positive things to say about their working relationship with Nintendo, and all of the demo footage speaks for itself.

I'm not one to put stock in reviews, but if there's one thing I can take away from the Bayonetta 2 score, it's that I don't think we need to worry about the game being a major letdown from the original. That's a good thing.
Edge nailed it with their review of the original Bayonetta. Their impressions of the sequel are at least worth considering.

They gave the first one a 10 too?

I definitely know not to go to EDGE for reviews now. It's perfectly fine to give the game that score, it's just very obvious our tastes differ wildly though. Phew.

Yagharek

They gave the first one a 10 too?

I definitely know not to go to EDGE for reviews now. It's perfectly fine to give the game that score, it's just very obvious our tastes differ wildly though. Phew.

This is a glowing endorsement of bayonetta for me, because it's also very obvious that my tastes and yours are nothing alike either. :p

Mohonky

Why does every game that does well critically or enjoyed by forum goers also have to be compared to its potential sales figures?

"So what if it scored high, it aint going to move consoles / sell well, look it already bombed in one market!"

That will impact how much enjoyment people get out of it how? Every single game that gets reviewed well is immediately compared to its potential to move x amount of consoles. Dont care, so long as I enjoy it.

No, I don't have the magazine. Giving the first game a 10 is all I need to know though.

it's a very well written review (the first one, havent got the latest one with Bayo 2 in it). Im not sure if it is worth a 10, but it is by far the best of those types of action games.

Why does every game that does well critically or enjoyed by forum goers also have to be compared to its potential sales figures?

"So what if it scored high, it aint going to move consoles / sell well, look it already bombed in one market!"

That will impact how much enjoyment people get out of it how? Every single game that gets reviewed well is immediately compared to its potential to move x amount of consoles. Dont care, so long as I enjoy it.
Of course!

But it's really disheartening (and makes me kind of angry) when great games flop.

Squire

Banned
That 10 for Bayo is impressive. Curious to see what Evil Within Gets...

oh! I can't say it is a bad list but it is not a good one neither.

Put of curiosity, what would you pick? I'm not into half uh games on the list, but when I played them I still generally found then to be very good.

Top Bottom