• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #303 - Nintendo Switch

MisterR

What kind of smart device can I buy for $300 with anywhere near Tegra X1 power that includes a game controller, HDMI dock and a 6" screen? I agree on the slim release schedule though.

Sadly most of those things don't matter to the average mobile user. As a huge Vita fan, I wish to hell it did.

Jeels

Features
Nintendo Switch
A visit to Housemarque about Nex Machina
My Favourite Game: Nolan North
Interview with Fireproof Games' Barry Meade
Making of... Mafia 3
Studio Profile: Image & Form
Time Reload: DJ Hero

Previews
ARMS
Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind
Astroneer
Yooka-Laylee
Lego Worlds
Shiness

Reviews
Resident Evil VII - 9
Yakuza 0 - 8
Gravity Rush 2 - 6
Rise & Shine - 6
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World - 6
The Little Acre - 6
Batman: The Telltale Series - 4

Please buy Edge to support great writing!

Edge is on Newsstand in the Google Play Store and it's a separate app in the iOS App Store.

Zinio will likely update with the latest issue in the course of the day, and features a desktop reader for those without tablets or tablet-sized smartphones.

Edge is also available on Readly, a Netflix-type subscription service for magazines.

What a sexy cover and grats to REVII

Is Edge digitally available in the states or UK only?

Remember Edge is usually pretty tough, a 6 from them is still a good game. a 9 is more rare than other publications.

For edge standards, unless the reviewer fell in love with the game, that's about a score for a low-mid range 80 meta like Gravity Rush.

The 9 for RE7 is on the higher side.

Eager to see what type of scores they give Nioh, Nier, and Horizon.
Could easily see Horizon being a 6. Competently made game but derivative of other franchises. Nioh, similar.

Well, regarding Readly I can't say for sure, but afaik, it's available worldwide via Zinio, the Google Play Store Newsstand and via the separate app in the iOS App Store.

Should be digitally available everywhere. I always buy my copies digital via the Edge app on my iPad. I don't live in the States though, but it should work everywhere.

Could easily see Horizon being a 6. Competently made game but derivative of other franchises. Nioh, similar.

Nioh's combat system alone should net it an eight. :)

As for Horizon, I think some people are underestimating it. It seems to have really good combat, it's a technical marvel and after reading that Guardian article and the EG preview, its characters, story and world building seem pretty impressive.

But we'll see.

I think a 6 for GR2 is a bit harsh. I could see a 7 being justifiable.

Back in the day when EDGE used to equate a score to a one-word summary, 6 was "Competent" as in decent as in above average and 7 was "Distinguished" meaning a good example of the genre. In that context a 6 isn't bad. Problem is people still think EDGE is fucking metacritic where 7 means average even though its 70% up the scale.

Kanhir

Sure is. For the UK at least it's got Edge, OXM, OPM, Gamesmaster, GamesTM, etc. as well as their European counterparts.

go.readly.com

(And if you've ever wanted to be horrified at the number of gun magazines the the US produces then it's great.)

Holy shit. Do you get access to all the international ones too, or are you tied to the one region?

Pyrokai

I'm still convinced they have more to announce, and they'll probably do so this month or next month shortly after release in a Direct.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Switch + Zelda is around same price as PS4 Pro and PSVR and significantly more expensive than PS4 Slim or Xbox One S with game

That's... a heathly dosage of perspective right there. yikes.

Burai

shitonmychest57
What kind of smart device can I buy for $300 with anywhere near Tegra X1 power that includes a game controller, HDMI dock and a 6" screen? I agree on the slim release schedule though.

What kind of smart device can you buy for $300 that doesn't have a web browser, social media, music, video or photography capabilities?

Oh yeah, this one. It's a bad value proposition.

Necrovex

Wow, is Telltale's Batman really that bad?

The content was good in Batman. Unfortunately the engine quality was on par with Superman 64. I seldom consider quitting a game due to shudder but I was close with Batman. I'd imagine Batman would've gotten a 6 or 7 if the engine wasn't shite.

dan2026

Nintendo just seem completely tone deaf to what their consumers want to hear.

Every new thing they say just drives me further away.

Hattori

Banned
  • Launch day lineup is slim pickings
  • Third party support worse than at Wii U launch
  • Splatoon 2 and MK8 should have been launch games but being used to pad out barren post-launch schedule
  • Led to believe that combining home console and portable businesses would get more games and that they'd come quicker but not the case
  • Console priced higher than hoped and no pack-in to soften the blow
  • Games and accessories are too expensive
  • Paid online service with one free rotating game among the bad decisions
  • Switch + Zelda is around same price as PS4 Pro and PSVR and significantly more expensive than PS4 Slim or Xbox One S with game
  • As a portable, up against smart devices and their free games
So pretty much all the threads we had on GAF, lol

Knuf

Features
A visit to Housemarque about Nex Machina

Niiiiice, cannot wait to read this as soon as I receive my copy
one month late :(

OP, do you know if that's the subscribers' edition cover? Sincerely hope that's not the case since last two covers were objectively amazing, while this one is not.

Subscribers get a monochrome version the same thing without the text and barcode.

Ouch, so it's basically the same cover only with text in white instead of red? Lame.

Anth0ny

• Splatoon 2 and MK8 should have been launch games but being used to pad out barren post-launch schedule
  • Led to believe that combining home console and portable businesses would get more games and that they'd come quicker but not the case
  • Switch + Zelda is around same price as PS4 Pro and PSVR and significantly more expensive than PS4 Slim or Xbox One S with game

Pretty much sums up my negative thoughts on the Switch and why I don't think it'll be a huge success unless they make some serious changes. Can't argue with any of those points.

Niiiiice, cannot wait to read this as soon as I receive my copy
one month late :(

OP, do you know if that's the subscribers' edition cover? Sincerely hope that's not the case since last two covers were objectively amazing, while this one is not.
Subscribers get a monochrome version the same thing without the text and barcode.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Did you just summarize the bad and leave out the good or is the entire preview just negative?

hotcyder

4 is about right for Batman the Telltale Series

9 is great for Resident Evil 7 - think they may of game the same score to 4

Did you just summarize the bad and leave out the good or is the entire preview just negative?
He was pretty up on the games themselves. But only if you ignore the release pacing and pricing. But like I say 60 quid for Zelda has turned into 48 on Amazon right now.

ASIS

No, they end with:

It's very even handed. In the letters section they say they're all going to be buying one at launch regardless of the cost.
Yup, they also praise the Joycons. Apparently HD rumble is legit.

The games and the joy cons got praised, the Switch as a handheld got a lot of praise from a hardware perspective. Everything else is outlined in the summary. Very fair article though. No hyperbole at all.

EDIT: I want to say one final thing, that ARMS preview was absolutely glowing.

Speely

Banned
Yup, they also praise the Joycons. Apparently HD rumble is legit.

The games and the joy cons got praised, the Switch as a handheld got a lot of praise from a hardware perspective. Everything else is outlined in the summary. Very fair article though. No hyperbole at all.

EDIT: I want to say one final thing, that ARMS preview was absolutely glowing.

Oh? That is very good to hear :)

ASIS

Oh? That is very good to hear :)
Yup, they worry about the content of the game but the mechanics was very, very positive. They even called the game a "resounding endorsement of motion controls" and that they left the demo "hungry for more".

Good stuff.

American subscribers: Have your deliveries completely shit the bed?

I am constantly contacting MyFavouriteMagazines.com support because entire issues just disappear. Not only that, but issues deliver very late. Later than usual these past few months. I still don't have issue #302.

Speely

Banned
Yup, they worry about the content of the game but the mechanics was very, very positive. They even called the game a "resounding endorsement of motion controls" and that they left the demo "hungry for more".

Good stuff.

Sweet, and thanks for the synopsis. It does indeed seem like the amount of content and the amount of post-launch content support will be the deciding factor between this being a fairly successful niche title or being a big hit.

wanders

Price complaint makes no sense

Galang

Banned
Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 at launch would have been overkill. I agree the launch lineup is poor, but even if Nintendo didn't need to pad their lineup I can't imagine the few third parties with games at launch would have been happy with that.

hivycox

Thats not true at all! I can get Zelda and Switch for around 350€ at amazon.fr thats 50 bucks cheaper than PS4 Pro or VR.

And of course it's more expensive than the slim versions of the other consoles. They use tech from 2013 (or even older) while Switch has newer tech inside it (not to mention all the tech that went into the joycons and the manufacturing process itself!)

Maiar_m

Is it? I think that the assumption that they share the same market is grossly circumstantial or too basic an extrapolation. The "smart devices' free games" do not offer what a handheld console game provides. The very casual market is happy with mobile games and it's great, it really is, but there's also a market for people who are willing to invest more time in mobile / off-TV gaming and therefore require more comfort and a deeper gameplay that smart devices don't provide. I know it's unpopular to say that the 3DS is a success because the DS was such a comparative landslide, but it's far from a failure despite these smart devices being there. And you have to pay for the games that it runs, and nobody's complaining about the price of Pokemon Sun and Moon.

The assumption that because it's not a home console (well, not JUST one) then it's going to be in competition with smartphones seems a bit foolish to me. It really paints consumers as dumbasses. "It has a screen, games must be cheap" ? I know no videogame enthusiast (not necessarily gamers mind you) that would make that assumption. Even my kid niece who's barely 10 and is glued to her tablet like a gecko to a hot window understands the difference between the two mediums and has different expectations of how they work.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Pretty much spot on for me except for the Splatoon and MK8 comment. I think having a steady amount of content over the first few months is a better strategy than jamming everything up front. Pricepoint and software lineup are personally very disappointing.

Top Bottom