• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: PS4 is your next console... maybe

AOC83

Banned
You're right, of course. But you could be talking about Crytek and Crysis 1 and I'd agree with you. (I would also agree with someone saying that Killzone 3 or Crysis 2 were missteps)

I just don't understand what elevates Guerrilla over the dozens of other shooter devs; hell pretty much everybody makes pretty games these days. Seems like a fine game, but where does the fervent faith come from? I've seen it before the release of every Killzone game to date, including before 1 and 2.

They get the basics right and they have potential, at least that is my impression. I think Shadow Fall is the game were we´re going to see if they made the step from a decent to a good developer.

See above.

Oh, I see, so you read into another post, saw a bunch of points that weren't there and made some "wise" but vague comment about "success" because you have absolutely nothing to add. Got it.

They get the basics right and they have potential, at least that is my impression. I think Shadow Fall is the game were we´re going to see if they made the step from a decent to a good developer.

There's a difference between hope and faith. I have hope that Shadow Fall will be great, and I agree with your impression, but I'm surrounded by faith that it will be, and certainty that it already is guaranteed to be. Same story for Killzone's 1 through 3.

Mollymauk

I still wonder why people put so much faith in Guerrilla, but I've been wondering that since before Killzone 1 came out. Even before they had a track record they were held up as a messiah.
Especially considering the state of the controls of killzone 2 upon release. Are people forgetting how they had to patch the game to get the controls into a playable state? But people convinced themselves it was great anyway because GIFs.

I have very little faith in the developer and the franchise if they considered the killzone 2 launch acceptable.

BadAss2961

They already made that jump with Killzone 2. That's why Guerrilla has such a big following here -- it's not just the graphics.

I think it was one part reader-grabbing, one part advocacy journalism. It was ballsy of them to say what essentially the entire fanbase was already saying, and negative press like that definitely would have had a major impact on MS' decisions.

Either way, good on them.

Salex

Banned
"I'm gonna select the console that will make me company for the next 6-8 years just for the launch games"

-"And I'm also going to ignore PS+, the indie support, the F2P games, and all of the Sony studios working on exclusives." Sounds logical to me.

akaoni

Banned
I thought it was an interesting read and worth posting, considering how much controversy the now infamous cover of Edge #256 caused here. Whether Edge is doing a mini-180 of their own or the whole bold exclamation was just a means of boosting readership, as some of us claimed, that's up for you to decide.

Well those are some very narrow choices!

I feel they're just reflecting the reality of things at the time. Some major problems for Xbone have disappeared, and EDGE are as honest about it as they can be. Based on what I'm aware of, that seems like a good thing in my opinion.

AlphaK

I wonder how it got to the point where people consider Ryse, DR3, and Forza better than Killzone, Knack, and Driveclub. Both lineups seem pretty neck and neck to me, but that's all pretty subjective anyway. Maybe it's the residual "Ps3 has no gamez" stink left over from this gen.

Most of what Microsoft is doing in regards to the FIFA bundle and "Official console of the NFL" nonsense won't really have much of an impact due to the fact that the very people they're trying to target with those ads will still be playing their football and military shooters on their 360s/Ps3s and won't buy a new console until sometime around holiday 2014-15 after a price drop/discount or two.

Ps4 still has the advantage mainly due to price, which can be easily wiped out by a kinect-less unit, and then we'll just have two identical black boxes that do same thing.

People generally upset that someone could want an XB1 instead of a PS4 in this thread. Seriously? Haha! Enjoy your PS4 and thank you for your concerns. I'm sure ill pick up a PS4 eventually as I like games. State of Decay is in my top 3 GOTY and it looked pretty bad visually. Surprise its not all about graphics.

Possum

PS4-console-war-610x343.jpg

This made me lol.

Goddamn.

Edge did exactly what every other gaming site did - they rode on the wave of that Sony fanboy momentum to sell a few issues and get a few more clicks than usual.

Now it's back to the levelheaded pragmatism they're actually known for.

Oh, I see, so you read into another post, saw a bunch of points that weren't there and made some "wise" but vague comment about "success" because you have absolutely nothing to add. Got it.

I'm not sure what your problem is.

The person I quoted suggested the PS4 being the more powerful was a reason to buy it over the Xbox One.

I stated the more powerful platform does not make it the better platform.

How my response was vague (or wise) is beyond me. Feel free to think otherwise.

Especially considering the state of the controls of killzone 2 upon release. Are people forgetting how they had to patch the game to get the controls into a playable state? But people convinced themselves it was great anyway because GIFs.

I have very little faith in the developer and the franchise if they considered the killzone 2 launch acceptable.

I think this generation's been a rough one when it comes to the state of games when they launch. Hopefully things smooth out with easier-to-program machines.

They already made that jump with Killzone 2. That's why Guerrilla has such a big following here -- it's not just the graphics.

Am I wrong in thinking that a lot of people didn't care for Killzone 3? Genuinely asking. I intend to pick it up at some point myself. I thought Killzone 2 was an alright game.

I don't understand why Nintendo and Microsoft fans got so upset over Edge saying "PS4 is your next console". Sony made smart decisions and Microsoft and Nintendo made poor ones...those fans should be kicking MS and Nintendo along with everyone else in order to get them to change not trying to defend poor management (that is clearly not working).

Dyno

Xbox One doesn't have just one problem.

1. The reversal equates to a rush job: they have been going in the DRM/24 hr Internet for a long while. Now they have to re-align a whole bunch of operations. You think it's going to be all done a couple months from now? I don't!

2. Kinect. I don't want this. I certainly don't want one always on. This company is always telling gamers what gaming is. It's not working.

3. Track record. The 360 has been dry for ages. It was dead before Gears 3. It was dusty when Halo 4 came out. It feels to me like they gave up on the 360 once the One was in blueprint stage. The early days of the 360 were good but I just don't trust them anymore.

The price and power difference are two other issues but for me they're minor. still they are in favor of PS 4. Every instinct is telling me to wait and watch this product for a year.

Part of me is sad we're not going to get to see how things would have played out had MS not changed course. Would have have crashed and burned in the most spectacular fashion ever, or would enough average consumers (ie non-message board dwellers) not cared and bought the system anyway?

Now we'll never know.

These console war articles are merely meant to stir the controversy back and forth to drive up sales.

Next thing they'll be back on the PS4 love train and talking doom and gloom on MS.

delta25

Banned
If MS wants to win over the hearts and minds of the consumer they need to drop kinect and match the price with the PS4.

I think we all knew that changes were coming for Microsoft, and that things were not going to look the same come launch.

To be honest, the consoles look on par with one another. Strong third-party support with limited first-party support. At launch, I'll give Microsoft the slight edge (based on what we've seen) in the first-party category. Anyway, I'm excited for both platforms and can't wait to jump into the next generation of gaming.

Derrick01

Banned
The 360 lineup is not diverse and substantial? Hard to take you seriously if you believe that.

From their 1st party? Not really. They did somewhat ok the first 4 years of the generation but then dropped like a rock after kinect came out. Most of their former exclusives you can get on PC and even PS3 in some instances now.

People generally upset that someone could want an XB1 instead of a PS4 in this thread. Seriously? Haha! Enjoy your PS4 and thank you for your concerns. I'm sure ill pick up a PS4 eventually as I like games. State of Decay is in my top 3 GOTY and it looked pretty bad visually. Surprise its not all about graphics.

I would disagree. It all goes back to that analogy.. Some people would thoroughly be upset if their best friend was getting beat by their boyfriend and their excuse to going back would be because "he has money and that appeals to me."

Literally. I agree with enjoying what you like but people aren't mad or concerned about what you want to spend your purchase on, they are concerned because it feels like your running back to the antagonist who's only doing it for their best interest and making it seem like it was for yours. It could be that some people just aren't that "easy". It has nothing to do with graphics at all.

BadAss2961

Am I wrong in thinking that a lot of people didn't care for Killzone 3? Genuinely asking. I intend to pick it up at some point myself. I thought Killzone 2 was an alright game.
If you weren't a fan of KZ2, you'll probably like KZ3 more. But most of us that loved KZ2 feel they took a step back with KZ3. They tried to make the SP more Hollywood, and the MP more Call of Duty.

Shadow Fall looks like a return to form for the fans.

jbug617

Banned
Buying both systems at launch but I do like the games that are announced for Xbox One so far over PS4. PS4 hasn't unveiled what games ND or SSM are doing yet.

Dead Rising 3
Crimson Dragon
Killer Instinct
Titanfall
D4
Quantum Break
Sunset Overdrive

PureGone

Banned
Whether Edge is doing a mini-180 of their own or the whole bold exclamation was just a means of boosting readership, as some of us claimed, that's up for you to decide.

They were right then, but now that Microsoft has dont their 180's its a more close battle. I happy with the old cover page, they took a stand against DRM when most other media outlets took microsofts money and talked about how DRM is next gen

Which is, again, irrelevant in this thread, because the factors that do make a platform better than the other are not in play yet because, yes in fact, the systems aren't out yet! What a surprise!

You're attacking people for discussing literally the only things we have to talk about. And when it's pointed out to you, you ignore it. And you keep on defending it. And then you got all "I dunno if you're intentionally being a doofus" bullshit. That's my problem. Your posts in this thread are condescending and continue to be so.

I'm attacking people? Condescending?

You could not be more wrong. I'm sorry if my original post has annoyed you, clearly no response will suffice.

Oh, now I understand, you're Xbone defending. That's why you don't want people discussing the power disparity; it insults your platform. Carry on.

Clearly.

madmackem

For me, the software difference at launch isn't even debatable which I'm happy EDGE pointed out. The PS4 software doesn't interest me at all. It's interesting that people are holding onto hope that a game like Knack will get mass penetration.

Thats totally subjective though, completly personal choice.

If you weren't a fan of KZ2, you'll probably like KZ3 more. But most of us that loved KZ2 feel they took a step back with KZ3. They tried to make the SP more Hollywood, and the MP more Call of Duty.

Shadow Fall looks like a return to form for the fans.

Makes sense, thanks. Hollywood SP and COD MP sound like changes for the worse. Everything I've seen of Shadow Fall looks interesting, hope it delivers.

I'm attacking people? Condescending?

You could not be more wrong. I'm sorry if my original post has annoyed you, clearly no response will suffice.

I will assume that a misunderstanding has occurred and retract my previous statements.

The guy you quoted was stating he liked the games on X1 better. How does the PS4 being cheaper and more powerful change that?

Because they both work hand and hand sometimes. Being cheaper is an advantage that obviously works to gain momentum

Being more powerful is a driving force that gives creators a platform of limitless possibilities. They can make bigger or smaller and don't have to worry too much about hitting a limit because there's so much more to use obviously. Having a wider work space can either sometimes create more problems or open up a lot of more opportunities. So yes, in some ways.. It does matter. And it's obviously a portion of why the wii u is still getting the cold shoulder even though they try to admit that they aren't.

No, not really. I still don´t see a single reason to buy an Xbone over a PS4.

The games?

I'm not a fan of either line-up, but I imagine some would be.

Thats just it.. The games... Microsoft doesn't make any, they just throw money at timed exclusives. If last gen is any indication... And how they have proceeded this next generation.. Why would anybody buy a xb1? Sony will always have more exclusives. Does that one game here or there make the xb1 a worth while purchase, nope i don't think so

AOC83

Banned
The 360 lineup is not diverse and substantial? Hard to take you seriously if you believe that.

The line up as a whole is, but i was talking about their first party efforts and they are seriously lacking, especially in the last 4 years. The started the generation somewhat decently but then suddenly stopped to give a rats ass about it.

I expect a console manufacturer to offer a diverse and ambitious first party lineup with a high quality, just like we experienced it in earlier console generations. If he doesn´t offer that he´s becoming completely useless to me.

I loved Killzone 2, was not a fan at all of Killzone 3. The third entry in the series threw away everything that made its predecessor great... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hesitant about Killzone: Shadow Fall. In an era when we get an FPS every other day, I just haven't seen anything that will set this game apart from the rest (
I know, that's unfair.
)... Not yet, anyway. But I will give it a chance, at the very least.

IvorB

I'm not upset but I am vaguely mystified that anyone would go MS unless they are into the whole TV passthrough thing and weren't that bothered by their attempt to control their users' game buying. Why pay more for roughly the same thing otherwise? Is it just brand power?

AOC83

Banned
There's a difference between hope and faith. I have hope that Shadow Fall will be great, and I agree with your impression, but I'm surrounded by faith that it will be, and certainty that it already is guaranteed to be. Same story for Killzone's 1 through 3.

Almost nothing is guaranteed but i´d say the chance is pretty high.

Top Bottom