• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM July 2008 Reviews and Rumors

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
FirewalkR said:
Sony's probably keeping Infamous for E3, in order to drop jaws...

... that will drop even further at the sight of Heavy Rain.

July, so close :) and yet so far away. :/
Fine. Stop teasing it every single month. I am not gonna call it bait and switch (I know these things happen), but you figure you STOP TEASING IT your ninth month of failing to deliver coverage.

pakkit said:
Let's agree to disagree. While Nintendo's online strategy has been mediocre for years, Mario Kart Wii, to me at least, is the light at the end of the tunnel. The online-only Tournament mode, deep rankings and stat tracking, and excellent match making mode really works for me. I know it may not be as deep or as varied as say
Halo 3
but I don't see how it ISN'T a significant step forward for Nintendo as a whole.
When there is the chance that the online tournament offerings, in the terms of the new content, are simply just being unlocked off the disc, and not DLC, I can't exactly praise that part. It's the best Nintendo offering yet, for online, as you said though.

FirewalkR

Y2Kev said:
Fine. Stop teasing it every single month. I am not gonna call it bait and switch (I know these things happen), but you figure you STOP TEASING IT your ninth month of failing to deliver coverage.

I only heard they were going to show it this time. Wasn't it even supposed to be the cover story?

Y2Kev said:

I just flipped through the past 6 issues and skimmed the "Next Month" pages. It was mentioned once, in the June issue.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
thirtytwoutside said:
I just flipped through the past 6 issues and skimmed the "Next Month" pages. It was mentioned once, in the June issue.

I swear to god it's been mentioned a hundred times. Maybe I'm going crazy :(

But it's still not here this month!

Madman

Y2Kev said:
I swear to god it's been mentioned a hundred times. Maybe I'm going crazy :(

But it's still not here this month!
I am quite sure it was mentioned at least one other time. Unless I'm going crazy too.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Cover Story: Gears of War 2 multiplayer

Features/Previews:

- Online play on Wii blows, but does Nintendo even need to care?
- Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
- Bioshock PS3
- Multiplayer done right (and wrong)
- Killing Time in Liberty City
- Nintendo and the industry depend on WiiFit
- Legendary
- Project Origin
- Military expert talks about videogame guns
- old school games in the summer
- Seanbaby talks about crappy games on Wii and DS
- The Mind of Miyamoto

Rumors:

- Killer Instinct 3D: Death, Destruction, and Doom underway
- Next Medal of Honor for 360/PS3 will be grittier, and more realistic as well as not a WWII shooter
- Sony working on peripheral for PS3 that transforms into different things. One of which is perfect for FPS games.
- Animal Crossing Wii 2009 for NA
- Spec Ops coming back as co-op shooter set in Dubai
- Sega bringing Top Skater and Ollie King to Wii for use with the balance board
- Sony launching video service around E3

Now that pisses me off. Animal Crossing was THE #1 reason I bought a Wii. The game was talked about BY NINTENDO at E3 2006 and if it gets pushed to 2009 I'll be more pissed than a Square Enix fan that finds out 10 more Final Fantasy spin offs come out before FFXIII

onegoodlogan said:
Oh, it's SeanBaby. It is his duty to talk about crappy games. The cover story is a Wii game, this ties into that. You can't seriously be pissed about that.

The only thing that about seanbaby that should piss anybody off is his total inability to be even slightly funny.

darkjacob

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
Cover Story: Gears of War 2 multiplayer

Hail to the Chimp
- B+, C+, C+
Good: Bizarre concept works, great art style
Bad: Basic single player mode

Ownage game title, thats a day one purchase for sho.:lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
Spruchy said:
Effing Boomblox, so overrated.

Wrong.

Amir0x said:
I don't think Mario Kart Wii disproves that statement, and I have played it :p

Well, Mario Kart Wii online play is fuck awesome.

But no, it doesn't make the rest of Wii's online "service" suck any less because one game did it very well.

Haeleos

June (and pretty much the rest of my summer) belongs to Etrian Odyssey II. Now... to finish the first one...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If Sega does port their arcade skateboarding games to the Wii for balance board use, I'll bite, although they should put Air Trix in there to seal the deal. :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
PepsimanVsJoe said:
If Top Skater and Ollie King show up on the Wii I'll never hear the end of it from my little brother(he is nuts for skateboarding)
Hell, this could mean more arcade ports by Sega for the Wii. I'll buy it just based on that assumption alone. I need that home port of Virtua Cop 3, badly! :D

Anth

Aeana said:
This is exactly what I expected. FFTA2 has fantastic SRPG gameplay, but the story just isn't there. I think people who really care about SRPG gameplay are going to have a great time with it. I sure did.
Well, it's apparent that the developers focused a lot more on the side missions than on the main quest. There are various characters and groups unconnected to the main quest who are more interesting and appear more often than the main villain.
The game certainly spends a lot less time on its main quest than its predecessor did, and it does virtually nothing to develop a villain, but I think it's still hold together a lot more tightly.
FFTA had 112 non-dispatch missions, with relatively few of them interconnected. The rest of the gameplay was filled by random encounters.
FFTA2 has about 280 non-dispatch missions and heavily relies on recurring characters, with significantly less completely random content.

On the gameplay, I definitely agree. It's the deepest and most customizable SRPG I have played, improving significantly on FFT and FFTA. There is nothing quite comparable out there.

GhaleonQ

Acid08 said:
Wow, where the fuck is my Infamous info? I've been horribly disappointed for the past 2 months.

Perhaps they turned it into Sly Cooper 4? Rocket 2!? No? *sits back down*

AAK

Acid08 said:
Wow, where the fuck is my Infamous info? I've been horribly disappointed for the past 2 months.

Yeah, I agree. Things must not be going so well if they haven't even reached a point in development where they can reveal any details yet. I wonder how much has changed since its teaser trailer.

pswii60

Y2Kev said:
Is there infamous in this issue? If not, EGM needs to seriously be called out for teasing this game month after month.
Like it's their fault? SCE/Insomniac will be promising them the info every month and then holding off. Same thing was happening for 6 months in UK PSM re Haze.
AAK said:
Yeah, I agree. Things must not be going so well if they haven't even reached a point in development where they can reveal any details yet. I wonder how much has changed since its teaser trailer.
The teaser trailer looked incredibly early. Art assets repeated everywhere. Watch the trailer again and look at all the signs and neon lights etc - they're all the same. I wouldn't be surprised if its just too early to fully unveil. Concept seems awesome though - Crackdown with a story.

FirewalkR

pswii60 said:
Like it's their fault? SCE/Insomniac will be promising them the info every month and then holding off.

You mean Sucker Punch, not Insomniac. I know Insomniac are efficiency gods but... :)

Boom Blox. I came into it skeptical as well, but it delivers. Worth the price tag, too.

I'm honestly surprised at the Wii Fit score, though.

Haunted

Nice to see the great scores for Boom Blox and Wii Fit - A's and B's throughout! Who gave that 'C' to GT5:prologue? :eek:
biting my lip here.

Hm, and Space Invaders Extreme scored similarily great, so I guess I need to check it out.

_Alkaline_ said:
For people dissing Boom Blox, saying "A+ for a $50 puzzle game?" and all that shit, go play the damn game.
You can't play it without a Wii.

FirewalkR

Don't we have EGM dude(tte)s in here that can shed some light on what's going on with the Infamous (apparently constant) no-show?

Haunted One said:
Nice to see the great scores for Boom Blox and Wii Fit - A's and B's throughout! Who gave that 'C' to GT5:prologue? :eek:
biting my lip here.

I totally agree with their GT5: Prologue score. I hope this is the first and last time a company releases a glorified demo for 40 dollars.

underfooter said:
I totally agree with their GT5: Prologue score. I hope this is the first and last time a company releases a glorified demo for 40 dollars.

It's not even the first time GT has been released in this form. It's just the first time that they released it in the US.

JudgeN

underfooter said:

Ugh we back to this foolishness again? They did release a GT5:p DEMO you could have got for free. You knew EXACTLY what you were getting with GT5:p when/if you bought, stop you god damn bitching.

Top Bottom