• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM July 2008 Reviews and Rumors

Cravis

I'm waiting on the inevitable Call of Duty: Vietnam. That is one war that has not been done justice in terms of games. If done right it would definitely command a Mature rating. Shellshock Nam '67 promised a lot but sucked big time.

Hammer24

Banned
Oh Google ads... :lol

2na8iko.jpg

ShockingAlberto said:
Did they stick Wii Fit in to their condescending little "Non-Gaming Monthly" thing they did with Endless Ocean?

They actually reviewed it, so I doubt it.

Also, I'm a Wii Fit owner, but you have to admit that it doesn't exactly fit in with other games.

FirewalkR

Paracelsus said:

Even if it was delayed until 2009, I think they'll show it at E3. Just an updated trailer, perhaps.

I'd also like to see what ND's up to. Haven't heard from them since Uncharted. Stealth mode!

hc2

"Nintendo announces the Holiday 2008 release of their newest game and accessory- WiiLove and the WiiBed. Sales will be limited to those 18 years of age and older".

I'm going to get off on the soap box for a bit, but it seems to me that a lot of people still don't understand the Wii and feel threatened by it. I want to try and allay those fears.

I think the problem a lot of people have with the Wii is the fact that they don't understand the underlying strategy behind it. Nintendo is seeking to expand the definition of how the public at large views video games. I think their long term goal is to get people to view video games as digital interactive entertainment, and not simply as games that cater to younger people. In my opinion this signifies a maturing of the industry. There are many different types of movies, music, and books that all cater towards different audiences. Some movies cater to families and children, while others cater towards teenagers and young adults. Some music genres cater to older people, while other music caters towards middle aged people. There is nothing strange or alarming about this trend, it is simply a natural evolution.

Games you enjoy will not go away, in fact this trend will strengthen and energize the industry in the long term by bringing video games into the mainstream and getting the public at large to accept them as a viable form of entertainment no different from television or movies.

jmdajr

Tadale said:
I'm guessing Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit. I'm pretty sure that's all they need at this point.

but mario baseball?

edit: ebgames still lists pilot wings. And what ever happened to that wii music game with the orchestra?

GCX

jmdajr said:
but mario baseball?

edit: ebgames still lists pilot wings. And what ever happened to that wii music game with the orchestra?
Wii Music will propably be one of Nintendo's big Fall titles. They just want to keep the attention on Wii Fit for now so there's no need to release new information about the game right now.

And I wouldn't worry too much about what Nintendo has in store for the rest of the year. Iwata wants Nintendo's games to be announced just a few months before release (so the "hype won't hurt them") and that's propably what will happen with the big Q3-Q4 titles too. Example of this strategy is Nintendo Japan's today's announcement of Rhytm Tengoku DS and Wario Land Wii out of nowhere for summer release.

Defcon

Banned
What did they say about Hellboy: Science of Evil? I was really hoping that game turned out solid, especially since it has co-op multiplayer.

skip

re: Infamous preview...I honestly don't know what's up with that -- not my department. but historically, if we have assets & information about a game people are interested in, we don't intentionally hold it back. I imagine the logjam is somewhere at Sony.

dacuk

Blu_LED said:
Is this magazine worth getting? Should I get this one for Game Informer?

Do not waste your money on it. You can get the same content and from the Internet for free, without the obnoxious comments.

So they didn't get NG II in time?
Hopefully this delay will ensure that they review the actual retail code, instead of the version that was sent to reviewers.

Unless the EGM reviews were written at the same time as the 1UP review, in which case they probably won't bother. :(

skip said:
re: Infamous preview...I honestly don't know what's up with that -- not my department. but historically, if we have assets & information about a game people are interested in, we don't intentionally hold it back. I imagine the logjam is somewhere at Sony.

So Skip, what's up with the MGS4 review? OPM got review code months ago, Shane was flown to Japan to see it, you promised it last month, and other mags are getting their reviews out. What was the hold up?

marwan

Banned
JDSN said:
So the game is set in the middle east while ignoring the war, people can get their arab-killing fun without directly facing the moral ambiguity of current world issues.

perfect, given that i am from Dubai....that was very nice of you!

skip

OldJadedGamer said:
So Skip, what's up with the MGS4 review? OPM got review code months ago, Shane was flown to Japan to see it, you promised it last month, and other mags are getting their reviews out. What was the hold up?

we didn't like the stipulations set forth in Konami's NDA, so we bumped the official review to next month. we'll blog about it when the time comes.

marwan

Banned
pgtl_10 said:
Hating on Dubai is the new fad in America. Hopefully we get to see a realistic view of Dubai including that ski slope in the mall.:D

Americans hate Dubai? how contradicting is that given Dubai is full of Americans and Europeans!

skip

Opus Angelorum said:
Seems counter-productive on their part, if it makes for a more thorough review then the delay is welcome.

problem is, publishers don't want what you and I call "thorough" reviews.

skip said:
we didn't like the stipulations set forth in Konami's NDA, so we bumped the official review to next month. we'll blog about it when the time comes.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the stipulation was that it receives a 9.5 or it doesn't get printed. Well, if you guys are holding your ground on a big title like this... this just bumped my respect points up for the mag.

We all know that Shane is going to give it a 10/A+, that's a given but I'm interested to see what the other two guys give the game if you are holding it back.

skip

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the stipulation was that it receives a 9.5 or it doesn't get printed. Well, if you guys are holding your ground on a big title like this... this just bumped my respect points up for the mag.

We all know that Shane is going to give it a 10/A+, that's a given but I'm interested to see what the other two guys give the game if you are holding it back.

wasn't score based, and shane's not on the review.

Bebpo

Banned
HK-47 said:
something something tag lol

The difference though is that I hate everything. So I guess it's nice to have both ends of the spectrum even if it doesn't actually help people decide whether to buy a game or not.

OldJadedGamer said:

If you've seen the other reviews you know Konami has put in rules about how much you can talk about specific parts of the game so that people won't be spoiled. I guess by EGM holding out for a month that means the game will be out and they'll be able to talk about it without those rules in place.

Euphor!a

Banned
Ashhong said:
what a stupid thing to guess.

It isn't like it is unheard of. I've read somewhere that some publishers say you can't publish a review for their game until xx/xx/xx unless you give it a certain score.

Euphor!a said:
It isn't like it is unheard of. I've read somewhere that some publishers say you can't publish a review for their game until xx/xx/xx unless you give it a certain score.

I've heard this too a lot. I think it came up the most during Assassin's Creed's reviews.

SolidSnakex said:
If you've seen the other reviews you know Konami has put in rules about how much you can talk about specific parts of the game so that people won't be spoiled. I guess by EGM holding out for a month that means the game will be out and they'll be able to talk about it without those rules in place.

Sounds like it's going a little deeper then just talking about story points. Strange to hold up a review of such a hyped up game over that.

Blu_LED said:
Is this magazine worth getting? Should I get this one for Game Informer?

I get both. At this point if you want a magazine EGM has just gotten better recently. James has taken it in a different direction or something, it's just been enjoyable.

You still can't beat GI's exclusives though. I am an old timer so I like getting my magazines as that is how I came up.

Leatherface

LegendofJoe said:
I'm going to get off on the soap box for a bit, but it seems to me that a lot of people still don't understand the Wii and feel threatened by it. I want to try and allay those fears.

I think the problem a lot of people have with the Wii is the fact that they don't understand the underlying strategy behind it. Nintendo is seeking to expand the definition of how the public at large views video games. I think their long term goal is to get people to view video games as digital interactive entertainment, and not simply as games that cater to younger people. In my opinion this signifies a maturing of the industry. There are many different types of movies, music, and books that all cater towards different audiences. Some movies cater to families and children, while others cater towards teenagers and young adults. Some music genres cater to older people, while other music caters towards middle aged people. There is nothing strange or alarming about this trend, it is simply a natural evolution.

Games you enjoy will not go away, in fact this trend will strengthen and energize the industry in the long term by bringing video games into the mainstream and getting the public at large to accept them as a viable form of entertainment no different from television or movies.

Well said bud. :)

OldJadedGamer said:
Sounds like it's going a little deeper then just talking about story points. Strange to hold up a review of such a hyped up game over that.

It's not just the story, they don't seem to really want you going into detail about the locations outside of the initial Middle East location.

Ashhong

Euphor!a said:

is there proof of this? thats pretty fucking ridiculous if true. i refuse to believe any publication would abide by that rule, and therefore the publisher wouldn't do it

Euphor!a

Banned
Ashhong said:
is there proof of this? thats pretty fucking ridiculous if true. i refuse to believe any publication would abide by that rule, and therefore the publisher wouldn't do it

Well if a publication doesn't do it, either they do it after the date or they lose coverage of material from that publisher I would imagine.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SolidSnakex said:
It's not just the story, they don't seem to really want you going into detail about the locations outside of the initial Middle East location.
My impression is that none of the reviews before the game comes out is allowed to talk about the game past the Act 1. Which I agree doesn't make for much of a review, and would sound more like a tease/preview. This obviously is not a problem for internet outlets (they publish reviews on day and date with games' release all the time) but it is for print.

JudgeN

LegendofJoe said:

Thats wonderful and all but some people didn't ask video gaming to be "mainstream". Alot of people never gave a good shit what society thought of people who do enjoy video gamers. Games you enjoy will not go away but by going mainstream you generally dumb it down so everyone can enjoy it. As a gamer I don't want my games dumb down, but now that I think about gaming has already been mainstream. I mean the PS2 did sell 130M+ units is that not mainstream enough?

Top Bottom