• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*EID MUBARAK!* RAMADAN 2015 |OT| Come with me if you want to fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
We finished the Quran tonight in Taraweeh, stood in Salah making dua for at least half-hour at the end. I wish I understood what was being said, I would give anything to understand Arabic :(

Been a good ramadan so far alhamduliLlah, despite getting sick in the middle. Reconnected with people which has been really good. Gonna have people around to our place for Eid insha'Allah, wife will be cooking haleem and I've been tasked with learning to make Bengali sweets so that should be interesting.

Highlight was rock climbing, iftar and prayer with a few close friends.

orochi91

Just make up the days you missed after eid and you've had fasted the entire month.

Indeed, but I would still like to complete a full month of fasting during Ramadan someday.

I get teased by siblings and friends about it, even my non-Muslim friends make fun of me lmao

27th tonight. The masjid is gonna be packed.
keep-calm-and-blame-it-on-the-night.png
25 days in and I don't lost any weight whatsoever
1347764600635.jpg

Don't know what's wrong with me. At least when Ramadan ends, I can do work out more regularly.
i've stayed right around 145, but i've been going to the gym. last year i lost 15 lbs.

Noooo, I missed my sahur today. Subuh adhan woke me up and I barely drank a glass of water for the entire day.
It's the first time I missed it in like ten years or so. :(

Noooo, I missed my sahur today. Subuh adhan woke me up and I barely drank a glass of water for the entire day.
It's the first time I missed it in like ten years or so. :(
I missed it a day ago. I was knocked out. To be honest it didn't really make any difference on the day. It's all psychological.

I missed it a day ago. I was knocked out. To be honest it didn't really make any difference on the day. It's all psychological.

Haha yeah, that would be the case. So far so good, indeed.

It's my last day of work before the long holiday as well. Can't wait to go home.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Brothers and sisters, sorry if this derails but I'm looking for some insight on what translations of the holy quran are regarded as the best, preferrably one in as plain english as possible, with further explanation available if necessary

I was looking around and found one called The Quran: A Poetic Translation. Now something like this entices me a lot but I'm worried about a bigger risk of misunderstanding if I start with something like this, poetry uses a lot of emotion after all

Funny story, last night for lailatal qadr me my mother and father took my mother's car, and I was the last to get out once we got to the masjid, and I locked the doors. We come back to the car after prayer to hear my mother say she left the keys in the car, and that that's something she always does!

Now who was more wrong? I locked the doors but she left the keys inside

Sayad

Now who was more wrong? I locked the doors but she left the keys inside
There's no more or less wrong here, it's all on the driver, you just don't leave the keys in the car when you're not in it.
We come back to the car after prayer to hear my mother say she left the keys in the car, and that that's something she always does!
This is a much bigger problem than simply locking the car with the keys inside though. >.<

There's no more or less wrong here, it's all on the driver, you just don't leave the keys in the car when you're not in it.
This is a much bigger problem than simply locking the car with the keys inside though. >.<
my mother was the driver. I asked her why she always left the keys in the car and she said it's because when she's at work, she never has a place to keep them on her to make things convenient - like when she's on break she has to go all the way to wherever, I dunno, the breakroom to get it, and then goes all the way to her car to pray.

Brothers and sisters, sorry if this derails but I'm looking for some insight on what translations of the holy quran are regarded as the best, preferrably one in as plain english as possible, with further explanation available if necessary

I was looking around and found one called The Quran: A Poetic Translation. Now something like this entices me a lot but I'm worried about a bigger risk of misunderstanding if I start with something like this, poetry uses a lot of emotion after all

MAS Abdel Haleem's Oxford World Classic translation is considered to be one of the best by academics and Muslim scholars. He uses modern english and "free flowing" style while maintaining as strict accuracy as possible.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MAS Abdel Haleem's Oxford World Classic translation is considered to be one of the best by academics and Muslim scholars. He uses modern english and "free flowing" style while maintaining as strict accuracy as possible.
Yes! This is exactly what I mean, the way it's done really makes it easy to keep reading without stopping to think twice, glad to hear the accuracy is still strict. The extra explanations are a very big help as well, shows different interpretations too

Just read a few pages of suras, I love this, thankyou!!

Eid snuck up on me and I haven't got a chance to get to the barber. Kinda hope it is on Saturday instead of Friday so I can get my hair sorted out lol.

Tizoc

So Eid is on Friday/Saturday? Eid Mubarak in advance fellow GAFfers, get ready to be more broke than ever before!

So Eid is on Friday/Saturday? Eid Mubarak in advance fellow GAFfers, get ready to be more broke than ever before!
90% chance It's Friday, but anything can happen!

More broken? I'll be rich. That eidy money.

Edit: isha then khatam-i-Quran tonight. I'm ready! :D

Tizoc

it's friday for me, i have work but i'll get to wear that special garb.

eid mubarek, and yes, it's supposed to be friday. for me, anyways, i don't understand how it can vary

Mi country tends to delay or start earlier than other arab countries in this case :V

Regginator

Just one more day and it's finally done. I really wasn't ready for it this year, kinda came out of nowhere for me. Still, I'm very likely to fast the six extra days after Eid, I've done that for years now and there's no reason to stop.

Thanks for that. Reading Pickthal or Shakir is nice but sometimes can get a bit tough. Got it for Kindle.

Most mosques around me have decided on Friday, so I guess that'll be it for me. Took a day off anyway.

Eid snuck up on me and I haven't got a chance to get to the barber. Kinda hope it is on Saturday instead of Friday so I can get my hair sorted out lol.
You won't believe it but I'm in the exact same situation. I need to go to a clipper stat. I'll do it today. I also hope its on Saturday because +1 fasting bonus and also because I'm hoping to go to a larger jamat at the expo center rather than the mosque. If I go to the expo center, no way I'll be able to make it to work on Friday by 9.

I'm actually going to be out of town this weekend in LV, so I need to figure out what time they have prayer there or what goes on there since i had planned the trip way before I found out eid was at this time

Sch1sm

I'm actually going to be out of town this weekend in LV, so I need to figure out what time they have prayer there or what goes on there since i had planned the trip way before I found out eid was at this time

There's a fair amount of apps that'll tell you prayer times.

so, a list of things i've done this ramadan.

-barely touched the Qur'an.
-missed zuhr more than a couple of times.
-got a little depressed.
-went to go see inside out during my fast.
-bought a ps vita for $106.
-did a full 20 tarabis for maybe, 8 nights or less.
-fluctuated around 145 pounds.

Question: when paying the 2.5% zakat, what amount do you pay it on? Your wealth at the time of donating? Or a moving average throughout the year?

So, when's eid for you guys? For us it's the 17th (tomorrow). Dug out my thobe in preparation for eid prayers. Gonna feel weird being able to eat the whole day again,though, after a whole month of fasting.

Question: when paying the 2.5% zakat, what amount do you pay it on? Your wealth at the time of donating? Or a moving average throughout the year?

I was under the impression that it's based on income.

AAK

The percentage of money you saved that calendar year.

So technically even if you made 1 million dollars but spent or invested 999,990 of it you are exempt from Zakat.

So, when's eid for you guys? For us it's the 17th (tomorrow). Dug out my thobe in preparation for eid prayers. Gonna feel weird being able to eat the whole day again,though, after a whole month of fasting.
For us in the land down under, I think they'll be doing the moon sighting tonight (16th). So if they don't see it then it'll be on Saturday (18th).

Yea it always feels weird eating during the day on eid

Ashes

Banned
Is it mandatory to make the eid prayer? I have work in the morning so I probably won't make it.

Yes.*

I suppose it's easier in London, where they have prayers before work, such as at 6am.

Trying talking to your employer. Explain that it's Eid; adding that it's like Christmas in terms festival status.

Even if they don't give you the day off, you could ask for an hour off or the morning off.

Edit: *& no. Depending on which school of thought you follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom