• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*EID MUBARAK!* RAMADAN 2015 |OT| Come with me if you want to fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
Isn't it "Fard Kifayah"? As in, as long as a good number of people attend it isn't mandatory on the rest? At least that's what I think it was.

I thought it was a Sunnah.

I thought this as well. Now I'm confused.

You're all correct.

For Hanifi (my local mosque), fard.
For Maliki, Shaafi, it is sunnah etc.

I realise now how easily we create a monolithic version of this religion.

It's not fardh in the Hanafi madhhab. It is waajib.

The difference between fardh and waajib in the Hanafi madhhab is that they are both obligatory but denying a fardh is kufr, whereas denying a waajib is not (e.g. denying Asr salah is kufr, denying Witr salah is not).

In the Shafi'i and the Maaliki madhahib, it is considered a heavily emphasized Sunnah.

In the Hanbali madhhab, it is fardh kifayah. According to some other Hanbali and by extension, Salafi scholars (particularly from Saudi), it is fardh 'ayn.

Yes.

Many masjids offer eid prayer at different times, see if you can catch one of those.
There's one masjid that I've gone to in my hometown since I was a kid. And most of the community that goes there will likely have gone to the morning prayer. And it's a Friday, so there'll jumma as well. I don't think they'll do the eid prayer there again.

Yes.*

I suppose it's easier in London, where they have prayers before work, such as at 6am.

Trying talking to your employer. Explain that it's Eid; adding that it's like Christmas in terms festival status.

Even if they don't give you the day off, you could ask for an hour off or the morning off.

Edit: *& no. Depending on which school of thought you follow.
I follow islamic thought, man. I don't know what school I follow. Either you have to do it, or you don't...Now I'm not sure coz it's become so complicated.
You're all correct.

For Hanifi (my local mosque), fard.
For Maliki, Shaafi, it is sunnah etc.

I realise now how easily we create a monolithic version of this religion.
Monolithic version? I don't know what school my local masjid follows either

The difference between fardh and waajib in the Hanafi madhhab is that they are both obligatory but denying a fardh is kufr, whereas denying a waajib is not (e.g. denying Asr salah is kufr, denying Witr salah is not).

In the Shafi'i and the Maaliki madhahib, it is considered a heavily emphasized Sunnah.

In the Hanbali madhhab, it is fardh kifayah. According to some other Hanbali and by extension, Salafi scholars (particularly from Saudi), it is fardh 'ayn.

I don't know what school of thought I follow. I just know that I am a Muslim.

And now everyone in my country breathe in relief that we all celebrate Eid Mubarak on the same day after consecutive years of difference!
Alhamdulilah. We aren't so lucky. Most of us will be praying Eid tomorrow on Friday but there are still some who will be praying on Saturday.

Shengar

Monolithic version? I don't know what school my local masjid follows either
I think Ashes comment supposed to be sarcastic since the media sometimes potray Islam as a monolithic religion.
I don't know what school of thought I follow. I just know that I am a Muslim.
Well I think this happened a lot to muslims who grow up in urban area.
Alhamdulilah. We aren't so lucky. Most of us will be praying Eid tomorrow on Friday but there are still some who will be praying on Saturday.

Such difference mostly driven by political or ego reason from the upper dudes. I think Indonesia is just very lucky to have one of the most tolerant and moderate religious affair minister right now. Without him I don't think same Eid for this year will be achievable.

Numb

Been a crazy awesome ramadan. Somehow gained 11 lbs even with a 20+ hrs fasting schedule. Too much Vimto in my bloodstream i assume.

Ashes

Banned

I am sure my local mosque said it was fard in a talk only a few days ago. And they are Hanifi. Having said that, I did just google for reference, and all the first few pages agree with you. So I am happy to go with that.

I am sure my local mosque said it was fard in a talk only a few days ago. And they are Hanifi. Having said that, I did just google for reference, and all the first few pages agree with you. So I am happy to go with that.

They probably did the same thing that people do with sunnah muakkadah and nafl/sunnah ghair muakkadah and label it all sunnah. Sunnah muakkadah is a confirmed sunnah - that is what the Shafi'is believe Eid salah to be. They obviously do not believe it to be merely nafl. Unless they were giving an extremely technical lesson on fiqh, the Hanafis you're bound to run across will use wajib and fardh interchangeably because in the Hanafi madhhab, for all intents and purposes, wajib = fardh = obligatory.

Reports of moon sighting in Saudi Arabia, Al-Arabia reporting.

Wouldn't trust what Saudi says on moon sighting at all. They've a history of shenanigans with regards to prematurely sighting the moon. Even Muslim, Arab astronomers have spoken against them because Saudi has claimed moon sightings when it would have been astronomically impossible to have the moon seen.

(I just follow the local mosque, whatever they decide)

dropkix

Neo Member
Eid Mubarak y'all!

According to moonsighting.com, ISNA and the Union of Islamic Organizations of France Friday is the day.

The 18 hour fasts have been brutal in Canada and I'm really looking forward to random Frozen yogurt breaks throughout the day.

They probably did the same thing that people do with sunnah muakkadah and nafl/sunnah ghair muakkadah and label it all sunnah. Sunnah muakkadah is a confirmed sunnah - that is what the Shafi'is believe Eid salah to be. They obviously do not believe it to be merely nafl. Unless they were giving an extremely technical lesson on fiqh, the Hanafis you're bound to run across will use wajib and fardh interchangeably because in the Hanafi madhhab, for all intents and purposes, wajib = fardh = obligatory.

Wouldn't trust what Saudi says on moon sighting at all. They've a history of shenanigans with regards to prematurely sighting the moon. Even Muslim, Arab astronomers have spoken against them because Saudi has claimed moon sightings when it would have been astronomically impossible to have the moon seen.

(I just follow the local mosque, whatever they decide)
Yeah just saying. I follow my local hilal committee.

Ashes

Banned
eid_mubarak___2013__gold__by_rizvigrafiks-d6h9c3x.jpg

Ashes

Banned
Did they declare in UK too? We have to wait 8 more hours to find out, unless people are following ISNA standard.

It's clear sky out so we'll definitely see it with the naked eye, if not by some of the best telescopes on the planet.

But ours gets announced right around Saudi Arabia's state confirmation, and not really at dusk. And that's probably due to connections between some of the biggest mosques here and Saudi Arabia.

Still, the vast majority of mosques in London celebrate at the same day, which I feel is the way it is supposed to be. It's scientifically accurate too.

I recall about ten years ago now where some Birmingham (another major city in the UK) mosques celebrated on a different day, and I could not work out how they did this. Birmingham is only an hour and a bit down the road.

So what do I know?

Eiiiiid

:D

My ihtikhaf ends on a good note! Now to prepare! Hope you guys enjoy yours! Prayed for all Ramadan GAF whose real names I knew of.

I can't believe I just found this thread. >_> I'm slow.

Eid Mubarak!!

18 hours is brutal to fast, especially when it's 35 - 40 degrees outside and also cooking food for others. I'm looking forward to Slurpees during breaktime tho.

Such difference mostly driven by political or ego reason from the upper dudes. I think Indonesia is just very lucky to have one of the most tolerant and moderate religious affair minister right now. Without him I don't think same Eid for this year will be achievable.
Oh you're Indonesian. Apa Kabar :). The thing with Muslim countries is that they've got one authority that deals with it all which is great. Here not so much. You've got people here (In WA alone) following local moon sighting, calculations, the Mufti's ruling, Indonesia, Bosnia, Turkey or the 'majority'.

faridmon

Iid Mubarak guys

Really saddened by the fact that Ramadhan went so fast because it just felt that I haven't done enough prayings :(

I think Ashes comment supposed to be sarcastic since the media sometimes potray Islam as a monolithic religion.

Well I think this happened a lot to muslims who grow up in urban area.

i grew up in mostly suburban area.

Eid is looking more likely to be on Saturday, based on moon sighting unless someone is able to see the moon in the Caribbean/South America.

Happy Eid to those celebrating tomorrow and on Saturday!

_Nemo

Local mosques in my area that go by the same method (moon-sighting) are doing it on different days. How is that even possible? So frustrating.

Sch1sm

Local mosques in my area that go by the same method (moon-sighting) are doing it on different days. How is that even possible? So frustrating.

The same for me. The mosque I usually frequent is praying Saturday, so I'll have to just go somewhere else this time.

Eid Mubarak, everyone! Q: What is it you all do on Eid, if you aren't simply praying and then going back to work? It's a family affair for me, entirely.

The same for me. The mosque I usually frequent is praying Saturday, so I'll have to just go somewhere else this time.

Eid Mubarak, everyone! Q: What is it you all do on Eid, if you aren't simply praying and then going back to work? It's a family affair for me, entirely.

Get home from the mosque and then just chill at home for the rest of the day as a bunch of relatives and family friends keep on coming throughout the day. As a result of being up well past Fajr time helping clean the house, I normally fall asleep by lunchtime and spend the entire day snoring on the sofa.

Weather looks ok on Saturday so I'll change things up this Eid and take the nephews to the nets instead.

Eid Mubarak chaps and chappettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom