• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[EU] New July PSN sales - Alienation, SOMA, Shadow of the Beast and More (160+ items)

danowat

Banned
I'm kinda stuck on what to buy first.

I have enough in my PSN account for two of the following four games. I will probably grab the rest this weekend though:

• The Banner Saga
• Shadow Of The Beast
• Enter the Gungeon
• Alienation

Any recommendations GAF? I've read reviews and watched game-play of all of them and they each seem to have their own merits. I'm really struggling to pick one I like more than another.

It would be easy if I just liked one particular genre but TBH I'm really open to everything.

I'd get EtG and Alienation, both are really good representations of their genres, EtG in particular has an extremely cohesive and well thought out art style, although Banner Saga is pretty good

WITHE1982

How scary is SOMA? Still struggling with Alien Isolation because it's too scary...

Soma is $7AUD....Firewatch Theme is $5.25....

I didn't find SOMA very scary at all and I'm also someone who struggled with Alien Isolation. There's only really a hand full of encounters in the game and, while they are tense and get your heart racing, they're pretty brief and easy to avoid. You spend much of your time just exploring and soaking in the incredible story.

I'd get EtG and Alienation, both are really good representations of their genres, EtG in particular has an extremely cohesive and well thought out art style, although Banner Saga is pretty good

Thanks man. I was kinda leaning toward those two anyway TBH. How viable is it to play Alienation single player?

edit: just noticed a local co-op patch went live on the 5th so that's fantastic. Hopefully it'll scratch that Diable 3 itch.

Floody

Been thinking of getting The Banner Saga for awhile now, but wondering does it carry your decisions over to 2, or will I be fine playing 1 on my PS4 and 2 on the XB1?

How scary is SOMA? Still struggling with Alien Isolation because it's too scary...

It depends on what kinda "scary" affects you. It has very few moments that are out to make you jump, so if you hate that it is good to know this game avoids that - mostly. There is a constant sense of dread in some areas though, and the game does that well. There are sections of the game built to get you to panic and react quickly. They are just small parts of the whole though.

The standout part of the game is that is boasts a story that makes you uneasy and unsure about what is going on. As you learn more, and react to the findings, the game starts to get under your skin with the themes it explores.

I said earlier in this thread it is sorta like Moon, Sphere and Event Horizon all smushed together. It does not directly copy any of those films, and it has its own unique story, but I feel if you were to roll all those together something like Soma would pop out.

danowat

Banned
Thanks man. I was kinda leaning toward those two anyway TBH. How viable is it to play Alienation single player?

Very, although it does become a bit tough on later levels, and there was one level I just couldn't do solo, and had to use online coop.

WITHE1982

Very, although it does become a bit tough on later levels, and there was one level I just couldn't do solo, and had to use online coop.

Thanks again. I noticed a local co-op patch went live on the 5th July so that's fantastic. I'll be playing through it with my other half. Hopefully it'll scratch that Diable 3 itch.

Wiggy

Been waiting for firewatch to go under £10 and witness to go under £20. Those prices are tempting but im staying strong, my watch continues.

risutora

Neo Member
Helldivers: Super-Earth Ultimate Edition for £8.24 (PS+) is a great bargain. I believe it's the version with all DLC included, and there's a lot of quality content there.

Great. I'd love to to buy all the Helldivers dlc for that price, but I'm blocked from purchasing because I own the basegame already. Of course none of the dlc itself is never on sale...

WITHE1982

Just bought:
Beyond Eyes - £2.79
Alienation - £8.39
Enter The Gungeon - £7.89

I'll be picking up Shadow Of the Beast and The Banner Saga when I grab some more credit.

Has anyone tried out White Night? It seems like it might be worth trying at that price point.

Also, the Vanishing of Ethan Carter? I've wanted to play it for the longest time but I know little to nothing about it or whether or not it's actually any good.

I watched a friend play SOMA which was cool as i'm a big fan of Frictional but yeah, I wasn't planning to watch him play through the whole thing but it was too engrossing. It's a game I know I will own at some point or another but there's always that niggling feeling in my head that I should wait until it goes on PS+. That's if that ever even happens.

I don't have a lot of money at the moment but all these prices are so damn tempting.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Can anyone tell me what the discount on The Witness is?

in euros:

JvV26Tx.png

It's enough, get it!

xrnzaaas

For most part it's only the dense atmosphere. The really scary parts are the (rare) encounters with monsters, especially with those which you can't look at. For me it wasn't nearly as scary as I hoped (and I wasn't hoping for Amnesia or Outlast scariness levels), but I ended up liking the game anyway for what it is (and it's mostly a sci-fi adventure game).

By the way if you don't like scary games I heard there's a mod for the PC version which eliminates all monsters from the game.

chunk3rvd

Great sale for me. Loads of Vita stuff in my wishlist reduced. Going to grab Guacamelee, Wipeout 2048 and Motorstorm RC for now.

Does Sonic & All-Stars Racing Vita ever go below £6.19? Got it for far less on Steam years ago so happy to wait if it usually drops lower than this.

Also, I already have Hitman Go on my iPhone (5S) but haven't played it yet. Is there any reason to get the Vita version to play through instead or shall I just play on iOS?

leng jai

I didn't find SOMA very scary at all and I'm also someone who struggled with Alien Isolation. There's only really a hand full of encounters in the game and, while they are tense and get your heart racing, they're pretty brief and easy to avoid. You spend much of your time just exploring and soaking in the incredible story.

edit: just noticed a local co-op patch went live on the 5th so that's fantastic. Hopefully it'll scratch that Diable 3 itch.

It depends on what kinda "scary" affects you. It has very few moments that are out to make you jump, so if you hate that it is good to know this game avoids that - mostly. There is a constant sense of dread in some areas though, and the game does that well. There are sections of the game built to get you to panic and react quickly. They are just small parts of the whole though.

The standout part of the game is that is boasts a story that makes you uneasy and unsure about what is going on. As you learn more, and react to the findings, the game starts to get under your skin with the themes it explores.

I said earlier in this thread it is sorta like Moon, Sphere and Event Horizon all smushed together. It does not directly copy any of those films, and it has its own unique story, but I feel if you were to roll all those together something like Soma would pop out.

For most part it's only the dense atmosphere. The really scary parts are the (rare) encounters with monsters, especially with those which you can't look at. For me it wasn't nearly as scary as I hoped (and I wasn't hoping for Amnesia or Outlast scariness levels), but I ended up liking the game anyway for what it is (and it's mostly a sci-fi adventure game).

By the way if you don't like scary games I heard there's a mod for the PC version which eliminates all monsters from the game.

Alien Isolation is the first horror game where I've had issues with stress but I think that's mainly due to its sound design.

Funny how I've been waiting for Rocket League DLC to be on sale, but after they announced the crate shit I'm no longer willing to buy it.

The Witness is on a higher discount than Steam summer sale, so that's the only thing interesting me here. I think I'll go for it when I get paid on 20th.

Just bought SOMA, Firewatch and Gravity Rush Remastered. Looking forward to playing them all

That's good considering you just bought them! :)

Hope you enjoy Firewatch, I thought it was great. Was one of those games that makes you think about the story after you finish it.

danowat

Banned
For anyone on the fence about Dangerous Golf, the developers have just released a big patch that fixes some of the issues with the game.

Fast restarts – now load times are 2-3 seconds instead of 30+ seconds
Controls have been simplified and in-game prompts have been added
Teeing off and putting now allows for 360-degree movement and aim
Brand new tutorial video added
New and improved camera action when teeing off and putting
New “smashwave” feature allows for more damage
Frame rate optimised to a smooth 30fps
Difficulty spikes have been evened out

danowat

Banned
How is Mad Maxx? Is it worth 18 euro?

Do you like open world bloat?, if so, go for it.

I'll be honest, I got a bit tired of it, the world, although well rendered, just seemed a bit empty and boring (yes, I know it's post apocalyptic wasteland, and by definition, likely to be sparsely populated!)

Acorn

Do you like open world bloat?, if so, go for it.

I'll be honest, I got a bit tired of it, the world, although well rendered, just seemed a bit empty and boring (yes, I know it's post apocalyptic wasteland, and by definition, likely to be sparsely populated!)
Same got bored about half way through and open world games are one of my favourite genres. Plus the car combat wasn't great to me but I've never ever thought car combat was good so ymmv.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I caved in and also bought SOMA for €5, since my PC copy runs like hot dog shit on my 1080. I have to choose between MASSIVE tearing or 60 FPS that feel like 15. Turning VSYNC off and uncapping the framerate doesn't seem to solve the problem...

Ooh, that's not bad that, that'll be like £20.

More like £23, actually.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
On mobile atm can't check, anybody's kind enough to let me know what some of these are going for?

PS4:
ALIENATION™

Dangerous Golf™

Enter the Gungeon

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture™

Firewatch
 (Tho did they ever fix performance's issues past the 1st patch which was still not acceptable imo)
Geometry Wars 3™: Dimensions 

Shadow of the Beast™

SOMA

Soul Axiom

PS3:
Catherine

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Got SOMA, couldn't say no at that price. As a huge fan of Alien Isolation and Biochock, it seems like it's right up my alley.

How is Mad Maxx? Is it worth 18 euro?

It's a great game to play when you have nothing to play, if that makes sense. There's a lot of repetitive openworld copy/paste content, but it is genuinely fun to play.

Kuraudo

Banned
SOMA is making me pretty ill. I don't know if it's the movement of the blurring effects, but it's almost instantaneously giving me a headache.

Anyone else experienced this and know which menu options might alleviate it? I had something similar (although not as quickly or as rough) with The Witness and turning off some stuff when they patched it seemed to help. The game seems cool but it's just not a pleasant experience so far.

Skii

That doesn't mean a whole lot to me, the price is too good.

I think I can live with a survival-horror being 30fps lol. Especially at that price.

talk about missing the point. you can't noscope in it either, forget it everybody dont bother with soma.

It's not about it being "survival-horror" or that you can't "no-scope" (???)... I'm just pointing it out for those who have a PC & PS4 (a lot of us) and would like to play games at 60 fps when we can... Sheesh.

Top Bottom