• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf - Review Thread

Raw64life

Unfortunately coming out the same day as Yakuza, but it's on my Black Friday watchlist. Haven't played a golf game in years and this looks good.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I've been asleep... when did they rename this to the Japanese name from Hot Shots?

Greg Miller says it's the best Hot Shots Golf ever. I believe he's played all of them and he loves the series.

https://twitter.com/gameovergreggy/status/902427930013310976

What does he think of the microtransactions and uneven game balance? That's what has held me back - that it seems like it'll be more of a grind than usual for the series and the impact of that will be very obvious when playing online.

(In previous games the difficulty of the courses and challenges scaled with your golf or club level, whereas in this you're constantly shown leaderboards and other player stats and experience and so on).

RodzTF

As a UK player who's always played/bought the games as "Everybody's Golf", I much prefer the Hot Shots Golf moniker

Elandyll

Banned
Mmh, have never played any golf games tbh.

Would this be something 2 young boys (6 and 8) would like and could play together?

I'd love to see them playing something other than Lego games or Minecraft all the time.

Would this be something 2 young boys (6 and 8) would like and could play together?

I'd love to see them playing something other than Lego games or Minecraft all the time.
Absolutely. You can play local MP, taking turns.

What does he think of the microtransactions and uneven game balance? That's what has held me back - that it seems like it'll be more of a grind than usual for the series and the impact of that will be very obvious when playing online.

(In previous games the difficulty of the courses and challenges scaled with your golf or club level, whereas in this you're constantly shown leaderboards and other player stats and experience and so on).
Not sure. He'll probably give his full opinion today on his show. Kinda funny games daily.

But from that tweet, he seems to be extremely pleased with it.

tusken77

Most definitely. The gameplay is extremely fun and kid friendly. Also, the customisation options are excellent. Making replicas of themselves on screen will have them entranced from the very start.

shandy706

Good scores! All new game purchases are on hold till I'm in my new house at the end of September, but this one is definitely on the short list of games to buy.

DryvBy

This game was a must have thanks to Wario64 posting that glitch day savings on Amazon. Ended up with this game for ~$10.

Davey Cakes

My friends are going to get a kick out of the multiplayer. As a group we've always enjoyed games like Mario Golf and Hot Shots Golf so it's nice to FINALLY have another game like this to break up our sessions of Mario Kart and Rocket League.

im pretty shocked at these early reviews, they seem rather high or perhaps "safe" with the 80/100

the game is a grind, you can't play ANY courses in free-play or in multiplayer until you've grinded and unlocked them in the single player campaign, which is painfully repetitive and takes hours just to unlock the second course.

and there's just 5 courses, which is rather thin, but then 2 more are launch day DLC that doesn't sit well with me

im pretty shocked at these early reviews, they seem rather high or perhaps "safe" with the 80/100

the game is a grind, you can't play ANY courses in free-play or in multiplayer until you've grinded and unlocked them in the single player campaign, which is painfully repetitive and takes hours just to unlock the second course.

and there's just 5 courses, which is rather thin, but then 2 more are launch day DLC that doesn't sit well with me

SP to unlock MP courses has been a thing already. And I think most of us don't consider playing SP a chore.

But launch day DLC does suck yes.

Yeah, I'm surprised reviews aren't mentioning the balancing and grind given the game's focus is clearly one of an interconnected online/social experience from the moment you launch it.

How is the single player mode by the way - is it like EG5 (PS3) and EG6 (Vita,PS3) in that you have different levels of challenges and you clear a row, then a boss, then a new row? Does it really take hours just to get to the second course???

RiverKwai

I played for about 3 hours last night. Liking it a lot, but haven't unlocked 2nd course yet. Taking my time wandering around and etc.

Did get a hole in one yesterday though!

Poppyseed

Love this game. I can’t see it ever being a chore or a grind since all you do is play all the courses over and over in any HSG game.

60fps is miles nicer than the 4K/30 option (which certainly isn’t close to 4K). Everything is much smoother.

Also, HDR support is a nice surprise, and I bought the single-course DLC. Don’t want this series to die so throwing them $6.49 every so often is fine with me.

Yeah, I'm surprised reviews aren't mentioning the balancing and grind given the game's focus is clearly one of an interconnected online/social experience from the moment you launch it.

How is the single player mode by the way - is it like EG5 (PS3) and EG6 (Vita,PS3) in that you have different levels of challenges and you clear a row, then a boss, then a new row? Does it really take hours just to get to the second course???

I haven't played the previous games in the franchise, so I cannot compare unfortunately. I'm just approaching it from a general game design perspective (i play multiple other sports franchises yearly)

But yes what you're describing is similar. You play multiple championships, so that a boss unlocks, you beat them, then play more to unlock the next boss. Beat 3 bosses and you're at level 2. Then you do it all again, play -> three bosses. Oh and ALL the champs and bosses are played on the same course for the entirety of level 1 and level 2 progress. I am literally sick of that course.

And yes it takes hours to get to level 3, which finally unlocks a second course.

Gameplay is quite great, but the grind is getting to me. And i am shocked you can't just play on every course without unlocking it first - fine, don't make it official and don't level up my character, but let me play some local multiplayer with friends right from the get go! That design goes against the whole social aspect - "sorry, had a launch night planned with friends? hope you grinded the solo play"

Thanks! Will def look into it then.

Make sure they have patience. One of the things with couch golf sessions is that you spend most of your time watching the other participants take their turns, rather than actively playing. Some people get bored quickly with this.

Yoss

Neo Member

This is what's holding me back. 5 courses isn't enough if I'm going to be leveling up characters and clubs. The gameplay looks great but I'll wait until they sell a version with DLC included.

Torgo

I'm holding my full review until I can do more in the Online Mode, but so far I'm absolutely loving it. It's a great game for a Hot Shots fan (I'm a huge fan of the entire series, and this is an excellent evolution from World Invitational)

pswii60

Very surprised as the positive reviews based on my experience with the beta/demo. I enjoyed previous iterations though.

silva1991

Ok, I didn't think this will review well let alone this well. will knack 2 be the first PS4 exclusive dud this year? I hope GT:Sport reviews well.

Gameplay is quite great, but the grind is getting to me. And i am shocked you can't just play on every course without unlocking it first - fine, don't make it official and don't level up my character, but let me play some local multiplayer with friends right from the get go! That design goes against the whole social aspect - "sorry, had a launch night planned with friends? hope you grinded the solo play"

Previous games in the series also gated off better characters, clubs and balls. You had to go through the offline single-player mode to unlock them before using them online or in local multiplayer. Even Hot Shots Tennis did this. (Please, please, please, let us get another Hot Shots Tennis.)

This is what's holding me back. 5 courses isn't enough if I'm going to be leveling up characters and clubs. The gameplay looks great but I'll wait until they sell a version with DLC included.

Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds for PS3 started with 6 courses and launched at $60. Two DLC courses were released over the next year or so for around $5 each. The new game just launched at $40 with 5 courses and a 6th that's $4.99 DLC but included free with preorders. A 7th course can be bought for $6.49.

I'm totally fine with paying less upfront and then buying DLC if I feel like the game could use more content and is well supported. In fact, the lower initial price will attract more people who are on the fence. I kind of wish they would have sold it for $30, but at that point maybe it would look like a cheap budget title.

I'm not too concerned about DLC courses separating players since that was never really an issue in previous games. Once the online tournaments begin, there will be plenty that feature the main 5 courses.

bombshell

Thanks for posting, I added that one as well as the below new review.

The Nexus - 8.5/10
Everybody’s Golf is a worthy addition to the series and a welcome addition to the PS4 library. If you want a game for when you have ten minutes to spare, or one in which you can challenge yourself as you seek to set better scores on the leaderboards, look no further. Despite the game losing some of what made it fun and unique, it is still an Everybody’s Golf game, easy to play but difficult to master.

I haven't played the previous games in the franchise, so I cannot compare unfortunately. I'm just approaching it from a general game design perspective (i play multiple other sports franchises yearly)

But yes what you're describing is similar. You play multiple championships, so that a boss unlocks, you beat them, then play more to unlock the next boss. Beat 3 bosses and you're at level 2. Then you do it all again, play -> three bosses. Oh and ALL the champs and bosses are played on the same course for the entirety of level 1 and level 2 progress. I am literally sick of that course.

And yes it takes hours to get to level 3, which finally unlocks a second course.

If that's the case then that sounds more grindy for sure. In the last game, the first row of challenges took you on two courses, then the second row added another course (while also containing challenges on the previous two courses), the third row another course (for a total of 4 courses) and so on.

Top Bottom