• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook required for all new Oculus users starting in Oct. All Oculus accounts end in 2023

00_Zer0

Make a basic Facebook account and stop crying.
No crying here and no rage either. All consumers, no matter if it's a fringe group of people, have a right to decide with their wallets. If I end up not agreeing to this policy I will absolutely drop the Rift S and the Oculus store, and gladly purchase a Windows mixed reality headset or an Index.

This move by Zuckerberg and co. was set in motion the day they bought Oculus from Palmer Lucky. It was just Facebook playing the long game with consumers. Now that Quest is so popular they are going to leverage that with forcing users to use a Facebook account.

JLB

Banned
Having to sign up for a (facebook owned) Oculus account or a Steam account or an EGS account or a Sony account or an MS account or a Google account or a whatever account is ok but making an equally fake facebook account is where people draw the line for using products and services..?

ha, yeap.

Larxia

I don't have anything against facebook, it's actually my favorite "social media", but I do not use it for personnal daily life stuff etc, I just use it as a hub where I follow everything I like so I can see news from every websites I like in one place, it's very convenient for that (and I hate twitter because of how limited and SJW infested it is so I avoid it).
However, I guess I understand why people don't really want to have to make a facebook account or link theirs just to use their VR headset. I didn't even know an account was required, is it just for purchases or is it like an always online thing? Can't you use your oculus offline?

Blond

Banned
I bet the people who kick-started this must really be feeling extra retarded knowing they funded this.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
giphy.gif

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Having to sign up for a (facebook owned) Oculus account or a Steam account or an EGS account or a Sony account or an MS account or a Google account or a whatever account is ok but making an equally fake facebook account is where people draw the line for using products and services..?
Only google out of those is creepy and wanting to spy on people. I wouldn’t want an EGS account either due to their Chinese connections. Poor effort.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Have you had your account locked then asked for proof that you are real?

Read what I wrote, I am talking when they disable your account for suspicion you are not real.
Been there done that.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Only google out of those is creepy and wanting to spy on people. I wouldn’t want an EGS account either due to their Chinese connections. Poor effort.
All those are hugely popular and massively used was my point and even those you apparently trust like poor innocent not-a-capitalist-mega-corp-out-for-profit-at-all-costs Sony have had their own super fails in regards to data breaches or intentional fuckery like DRM schemes...

Seems like you're just being a super fanboy of some of these and that's where your judement ends. Fine by me, just saying.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I wonder what happens if you've deleted your account or had your account permabanned. Can you start another one with the same e-mail and phone number?

Anyway this is hardly surprising. They own Oculus so of course they'll want you to have their account. I'd never buy an Oculus for that reason if I was in the market for a PCVR device.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Hold up you have to make a Facebook account to use Oculus shit?
Cant they just migrate your accounts internally without disturbing people the way Google gave everyone Google+ accounts when they tried that shit.

Arkam

Between this and the integration in Xbox, Facebook is nestling it’s self in the middle of the gaming world. Not a fan. Anything I can do to limit Amazon, Google or Facebook tracking my every move the better.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
All those are hugely popular and massively used was my point and even those you apparently trust like poor innocent not-a-capitalist-mega-corp-out-for-profit-at-all-costs Sony have had their own super fails in regards to data breaches or intentional fuckery like DRM schemes...

Seems like you're just being a super fanboy of some of these and that's where your judement ends. Fine by me, just saying.

I don’t suck corporate dick if that’s what you’re saying. I choose products and services based on whether they are useful and what the risk profile is. Hence preferring GOG to Steam, Microsoft and Apple to Google (I can respect a company that wants my money more than ones that want my soul) and so on. I don’t own anything Sony - had a phone a couple of years ago and it was dreadful.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
As for me I will be looking at my options and hoping that some other company makes a good Quest competitor. PCVR is not a problem as there are plenty of headsets, HP Reverb G2 looking good right now, hope the tracking is acceptable.

Here ya go:

Pico Neo 2

Think of it like this: (purely using the walled garden analogy here....both of these headsets use an android os)
The Oculus Quest is the Apple device for stand alone headsets.

The Pico Neo line is the Android device for stand alone headsets.

The hardware is better (better rez better processor better fit)
The battery is better
It has external storage as well.

BUT.....its a bare bones experience. You have to get your hands dirty to get apps you want installed. We have spoken to a few clients about moving away from the Quest headsets (not related to this....more related to their Oculus for Business headset program).

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Thanks for making my choice easier Facebook!

Never ever going to touch Oculus

I have been closely following this headset and I like what I see so far. It's coming out relatively soon. It's a headset created with help from Valve and Microsoft. It's looking like a good mix of the Rift S and Index at a $599 price point. If any one likes to watch Tested here's a good preview of this headset:

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ok so I was wrong to say Sony there, the other companies are actually even worse in those terms (woo, go Microsoft, you're so innocent and never have had questionable practices, lmfao, I prefer you over Steam!) so I thought that's the one you were profiling but I guess your point is even worse.

Yeah, Reverb G2 would be good, if it cost 100 less (a bit more than RIft S). And in Europe where they bumped it to 699 freaking euros, 200 less. Other than that you're paying waaay too much for nice resolution but decidedly last generation tracking, even if it's a bit improved from older WMR kits.

As demonstrated in that Tested video actually (@17:36, MRTV was such a shill ignoring those flaws). Maybe they'll improve tracking with software updates, Oculus did that to great effect since the S and Quest launch, but I wouldn't get products based on such a possibility, only when it's realized.

Pico Neo 2 is currently aimed for businesses rather than consumers and the very few apps that are ported to it perform even worse than Quest despite the better specs so there's a long way to go for an actual competitor to appear. Very cever and promising tracking technology (but not design).

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Ok so I was wrong to say Sony there, the other companies are actually even worse in those terms so I thought that's the one you were profiling but I guess not, your point is even worse then.

Honestly at this point you’re making no fucking sense. I honestly do not have the foggiest what you’re trying to say which makes discussion quite tricky.

Resenge

Here ya go:

Pico Neo 2

Think of it like this: (purely using the walled garden analogy here....both of these headsets use an android os)
The Oculus Quest is the Apple device for stand alone headsets.

The Pico Neo line is the Android device for stand alone headsets.

The hardware is better (better rez better processor better fit)
The battery is better
It has external storage as well.

BUT.....its a bare bones experience. You have to get your hands dirty to get apps you want installed. We have spoken to a few clients about moving away from the Quest headsets (not related to this....more related to their Oculus for Business headset program).
You have my interest but your link is dead. Nvm its working now.

Ahh those controllers, :messenger_neutral: Not really a gaming headset. If gaming devs support it I would be interested but from the 5 seconds I've researched, it looks like its more of a business headset than a pleasure one.

I will keep my eye on it now I know it exists though, thanks.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Oh. Nice. Gives me a good reason to keep staying away from it.

Fuck you Zuckerberg
Coincidentally, this is my ref on fb bookmark.

Anyway, do other visors require some sort of login? If so, WHY THE FUCK? It's a fucking piece of hardware, like a gamepad.

Last edited:
Sony should take advantage of this and throw a jab at Oculus by saying PS VR doesn’t require Facebook. Kinda like they did with the Xbox One requiring internet.

Fuz

Banned
Have you had your account locked then asked for proof that you are real?

Read what I wrote, I am talking when they disable your account for suspicion you are not real.
Happened to me. They locked my account (with all my pictures and stuff unavailable for deletion and NO WAY TO CONTACT THEM) until I submitted an ID.*

Made me fucking furious. They have ZERO rights to ask for an ID. They're not state officers.
making an equally fake facebook account
Good luck when they ban your fake account (it's against their TOS) and you lose everything.
And that's not even the big problem about this shit.

* but here's the best part! Before sending my ID (really, REALLY didn't want to) I made another account that I used for about 6-8 months. Eventually, that got locked too. And eventually I sent and ID for that too. And this account... well, it's been a few years that when I try to log in it it just says "Thank you! We're checking your ID and will unlock when done". Yes, few years. And ofc no way to contact anyone to ask for a complete deletion of my pictures and stuff.

Last edited:
I don't own Oculus, but don't get the drama. Oculus has been bought by Facebook like eons ago. It's been successful by Zuck's money. It always had microphone and tracking data available for them - so why the drama now? Was the Oculus account not owned by Facebook already?

btw, what kind of precious info and behavior insights for commercial partners would they get from "spying" you playing Beat Saber?

Top Bottom