• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook required for all new Oculus users starting in Oct. All Oculus accounts end in 2023

00_Zer0

Yeah, Reverb G2 would be good, if it cost 100 less (a bit more than RIft S). And in Europe where they bumped it to 699 freaking euros, 200 less. Other than that you're paying waaay too much for nice resolution but decidedly last generation tracking, even if it's a bit improved from older WMR kits.

As demonstrated in that Tested video actually (@17:36, MRTV was such a shill ignoring those flaws). Maybe they'll improve tracking with software updates, Oculus did that to great effect since the S and Quest launch, but I wouldn't get products based on such a possibility, only when it's realized.

Pico Neo 2 is currently aimed for businesses rather than consumers and the very few apps that are ported to it perform even worse than Quest despite the better specs so there's a long way to go for an actual competitor to appear. Very cever and promising tracking technology (but not design).

Yeah, about the Reverb G2, his complaint over near field tracking is valid, where objects you hold shake when up close to your headset, though he says it's an improvement over Reverb G1. I like how he says it's the sharpest and clearest consumer headset by far. Overall a really good look at the pluses and minuses of the headset. I look forward to the final review when this is released as I hope the near field tracking issue gets ironed out before release. If that is indeed the case I may get this over the more expensive Index. It's just really awesome that Valve, MS, and HP are all helping to get this thing to market.

Last edited:
Between this and the integration in Xbox, Facebook is nestling it’s self in the middle of the gaming world. Not a fan. Anything I can do to limit Amazon, Google or Facebook tracking my every move the better.

Microsoft is probably able to track more data than all of this combined (through all their desktops and cloud services) and yet pass off an image of humble gaming underdog LMAO

people are way too fun in their naiveté...

gundalf

That's OK, their AI will make a profile of the real you either way.

It's not just that, Facebook will actually terminate the account if it detects that its not tracked (social media, cockies, phone usage) by the graph/system.
Just to make it clear because some people don't understand, Facebook does not allow you to use fake/dummy accounts.
But if you create one and manage to not get it deleted, well then Facebook actually managed to track you and that should scare you.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Forgive me for being super ignorant but, what's wrong with Facebook? I've been using it for nearly a decade. Should I be worried?
not really it's just cool to hate on INSERT ANY BIG NAME CORP they make money by selling your data because nothing in life is free.

just make a dummy account and abuse them. FC is pushing VR like crazy no competitor comes close price wise

Last edited:

Oppoi

It's not just that, Facebook will actually terminate the account if it detects that its not tracked (social media, cockies, phone usage) by the graph/system.
Just to make it clear because some people don't understand, Facebook does not allow you to use fake/dummy accounts.
But if you create one and manage to not get it deleted, well then Facebook actually managed to track you and that should scare you.

FUD! Zuckerberg said in his last interview that Facebook belives in the integrity of the human spirit.

We know that social VR has so much more to offer, and this change will make it possible to integrate many of the features people know and love on Facebook.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can't wait for this:

Streaming
Allow Oculus Rift to automatically stream to your Facebook feed - Default setting is ON

News Feed
Your friend Larry Livingston owns Oculus Rift and is streaming now. Join him by clicking the link below to buy

Oppoi

Can't wait for this:

Streaming
Allow Oculus Rift to automatically stream to your Facebook feed - Default setting is ON

News Feed
Your friend Larry Livingston owns Oculus Rift and is streaming now. Join him by clicking the link below to buy

Kinect bundled to the Xbone had some proper support though. So cool how they can make a profile of you advanced enough to know when your'e walking into your living room!

Darias

Five years from now, Facebook is going to make a killing selling a database of retinal/pupil dilation/excitement-stress-response data and it's attendant R analyses and dumb-asses gonna be like 'hurr durr, how cudda we'ya known?!?!!??!!?!??!?!?!'

I have an Oculus Quest, and had been considering picking up a Rift S. I guess with this news, I’ll be buying something else.

I realize that since I already have an Oculus account that I wouldn’t have to worry about it until 2023, but no thanks, I won’t support this.

I guess I’ll be getting rid of the Quest at some point but I’m sure that was going to happen anyway before 2023, as I’m hoping someone else comes out with a better standalone VR headset in the not so distant future.

This is going to end up killing Oculus.

Reallink

Make a basic Facebook account and stop crying.

That would be a good solution, except for the fact FB locks both pseudonym accounts and real name accounts that don't post, scroll walls, or follow/accept other users. Once it's locked, you have to submit a photo ID (usually a drivers license) to unlock it. If you can't submit a drivers license from "Mary Jane", you'll lose your purchased games. If you don't feel comfortable giving Facebook a 48 megapixel image of your drivers license, you lose access to your purchased games. No big deal, stop crying.

Last edited:

Oppoi

That would be a good solution, except for the fact FB locks both pseudonym accounts and real name accounts that don't post, scroll walls, or follow/accept other users. Once it's locked, you have to submit a photo ID (usually a drivers license) to unlock it. If you can't submit a drivers license from "Mary Jane", you'll lose your purchased games. If you don't feel comfortable giving Facebook a 48 megapixel image of your drivers license, you lose access to your purchased games. No big deal, stop crying.

It's no different as where I go to buy groceries I had to give a blood sample as they don't accept cash anymore. I have done nothing wrong but a family member wrote some stuff on the internet this one time so we're all stuck with potatoes and soda for now. No big deal.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Having to sign up for a (facebook owned) Oculus account or a Steam account or an EGS account or a Sony account or an MS account or a Google account or a whatever account is ok but making an equally fake facebook account is where people draw the line for using products and services..?

Its their own fault for gathering all the data they do and being so closely associated with real life profiles. It feels incredibly invasive.

MarkMe2525

I have an Oculus Quest, and had been considering picking up a Rift S. I guess with this news, I’ll be buying something else.

I realize that since I already have an Oculus account that I wouldn’t have to worry about it until 2023, but no thanks, I won’t support this.

I guess I’ll be getting rid of the Quest at some point but I’m sure that was going to happen anyway before 2023, as I’m hoping someone else comes out with a better standalone VR headset in the not so distant future.

This is going to end up killing Oculus.
You really think it's going to kill Oculus. Do you know how many people straight up just use Facebook everyday or Facebook messenger. No game company's target audience is the hardcore. Maybe Atari lol

Rikoi

Facebook wants to unify the instagram messenger and whatsapp under the same app.
Facebook wants you to link your ID card to your instagram profile.
Facebook wants you to use a facebook account to use VR.
What else will they ask? They basically want to know everything about everyone.
That's until there is some sort of data breach and everyone will know everything about you.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
wtf?

someone i know just got an Oculus. they also are not on FB and absolutely hate it. this sucks.
You really think it's going to kill Oculus. Do you know how many people straight up just use Facebook everyday or Facebook messenger. No game company's target audience is the hardcore. Maybe Atari lol
do you know how many of those aren't even people? like Twitter, it is a platform whose actual human audience is inflated. Facebook is full of bots, troll farms, sock accounts, hackers, etc. yes there is a contingent of mostly boomers at this point but even they are getting sick of the platforms, especially with all the recent censorship going on. i know so many people who have left, and i still have and account and haven't been on in 2-3 years.

that's not really a hardcore audience. were this 2015 or 2010 then yes there would be a solid decade of FB dominance. but after the whole 2016 thing and all the hearings, i don't see FB lasting too much longer, not as the juggernaut it once was.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

wtf?

someone i know just got an Oculus. they also are not on FB and absolutely hate it. this sucks.

do you know how many of those aren't even people? like Twitter, it is a platform whose actual human audience is inflated. Facebook is full of bots, troll farms, sock accounts, hackers, etc. yes there is a contingent of mostly boomers at this point but even they are getting sick of the platforms, especially with all the recent censorship going on. i know so many people who have left, and i still have and account and haven't been on in 2-3 years.

that's not really a hardcore audience. were this 2015 or 2010 then yes there would be a solid decade of FB dominance. but after the whole 2016 thing and all the hearings, i don't see FB lasting too much longer, not as the juggernaut it once was.
sounds like a bunch of speculation and anecdotal evidence which doesn't really amount to anything. I mean you're allowed an opinion. My opinion is you're wrong. Yes, they're massive numbers are inflated, they are still massive. You shouldn't make a habit of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
My brother got the quest when 1st came out. We had fun with it for a while but really can‘t play vr without getting a headache so it went mostly unused for months. Sold it during the COVID bump for a good mark up. So glad he did.

I shouldn’t be forced to have a social media account to play video games. I also shouldn’t have my account banned if I choose to make a fake name so I’m not inundated with bullshit from Facebook and people friend requesting me. I don’t use Facebook, I’m also not going to become an oculus customer after this news. I was planning on purchasing one after checking them out at micro center over the weekend but this killed it for me. I have no social media accounts and I plan on keeping it that way.

LOLCats

Banned
ya, ill say it again, never buying another rift device. that company ruined by facebook.

my og rift will be in the trash bin come 2023.

00_Zer0

I shouldn’t be forced to have a social media account to play video games. I also shouldn’t have my account banned if I choose to make a fake name so I’m not inundated with bullshit from Facebook and people friend requesting me. I don’t use Facebook, I’m also not going to become an oculus customer after this news. I was planning on purchasing one after checking them out at micro center over the weekend but this killed it for me. I have no social media accounts and I plan on keeping it that way.
If you want to get into PC VR an older Vive headset might be an option if you can find one used at a cheaper price with the controllers and lighthouse bases. Otherwise, if a used Vive bundle costs anything over $600-700 you would be better off getting a Valve Index bundle for $1000. There's a wait list of 8 weeks though.

If you really like the inside out tracking that the Rift S has, wait for reviews on the HP Reverb G2 to see if it's worth getting for $599. Here's a video preview of the Reverb G2 to give you an idea on how it performs against the Index and Rift S.

Unfortunately, if you are referring to a mobile competitor that rivals the Quest in functionality and available software then there is nothing else out there that competes on that level.

00_Zer0

For those out there saying to make a fake account or just make a legit account and not use it, it's just not that easy anymore.

You can make a bunk account, but soon after signing up they want you to verify by phone number. Don't even think about using a Text Free number. It doesn't work.

Also, even if you are a legit low level user that makes everything private and that never uses Facebook, at anytime they can come back and say that in order to have access to your account you need to send them your State ID information.

If you don't come up with the goods then you lose access to not only your account, but all of your Oculus software purchases.

No thanks, I'm not going through those kind of hoops for a company that tramples on your rights depending on what point of view I have.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

I think they need to spell out exactly what limited functionality is, just announcing this without laying out exactly what will be available and what won't be is just instilling fear into the few customers that do not like Facebook integration.

"limited functionality" means absolutely nothing. Do we no longer get software updates unless we log in via facebook? Will Oculus link be broken without a facebook account? Or are we just blocked from buying anything on the store. Friends and chat was already out of the picture for non facebook users so what else is being taken away?

Forgive me for being super ignorant but, what's wrong with Facebook? I've been using it for nearly a decade. Should I be worried?

kids buying things with credit cards on their phones while taking selfies in front of traffic cameras are worried Zuckerberg is tracking them. They have no privacy!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck that noise. I've got a launch Rift, but I will definitely be going with Valve (assuming they're still in the game) when I decide to buy a new set.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Facebook own Oculus, so this shouldn’t be surprising to anyone.

Sooooo many people aren't happy about this, and they have every right to feel that way. This is pretty stupid for both consumers and developers that want nothing to do with Facebook.
Probably shouldn’t be using a Facebook product then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom