• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fate Stay Night UBW - 02

Infodump time. Wasn't the fake priest the guy who rescued Emiya and then showed up at the hospital.
At first I was wondering why Rin is helping Emiya instead of killing him on the spot to lessen the competition. Then it turns out you don't have to kill the other Masters/Mages?
Next up seems to be russian loli with Hugo from Street Fighter
dhALgfU.jpg
rDTIwgc.jpg

Also gotta remember the day Cross Ange is airing with respect to the amount of discussion we're seeing. I think it only seems that there's a ton of discussion about it because there's like next to nothing else worth watching on Sundays this season anyway.

Unless you'd rather we talk about Girlfriend Beta.

Quasar

It's a sad statement about anime fans that Cross Ange seems to be garnering more enthusiasm than most of the actually good anime that have come out recently.

I think that's more just a few talking a lot about that show. It's not some kind of groundswell of enthusiasm for that show here.

That said I have found this season less shows I feel the need to discuss, even the shows I like. They are so straight forward I don't have a whole lot to say on them. So I've posted so very little this season.

That's patently false and you're just being selective to perpetuate the "anime is doomed and anime fans are scum and we should all just die" narrative. Numerous people in this very thread are discussing every show of quality this season--there are more results for posts mentioning Shirobako, Bahamut, and Parasyte in this thread than Cross Ange, and all other critically well-received shows have consistently vocal proponents here. People are discussing a show in a public thread that you personally don't like? Too bad. The complaining about people watching Cross Ange is vastly more obnoxious than discussion of Cross Ange.

I'm sorry if I upset you. I'll shut up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I find it hard to believe that anyone couldn't find something enjoyable this season.
Some of them are mildly entertaining, but the entire stretch of this season feels creatively bankrupt, the schedule buoyed by shows lacking even a hint of substance.
Shirobako is amazing.
It's okay. The production on it is unnervingly dry and underwhelming. The inadequacies of the storytelling become apparent when the show tries to target anything outside the basic work day, leaving the series without much of a personal or emotional background. This becomes especially noticeable during sequences that feature the dolls.

Also, in case it wasn't obvious the reason Cross Ange talk would bother people is that the show is explicitly designed to rile people up. Public sniggering over what crazy new thing happened this week pretty much makes you Sunrise's puppet. Some people like being led around like that though.

Pooya

The seasonal OTs in general have come to a halt. That's less of a reflection on the quality of the season.

Quality of shows are not bad this season (while not exactly very good either) just that nothing sparks lengthy quality discussions, hence low amount of posts and something like CA sticking out more than it otherwise would... it's ok season.

Now I'm aware a lot of people just stopped posting and it's nothing like 'old' times anymore but still this is fall season with a lot of new shows. Even Summer seemingly fared better.

Theres anime discussion outside this thread?

There's plenty of recommendation threads on the OT, and some of the more popular shows like Hunter x Hunter, JoJo and Kill la Kill have pretty sizable threads.

Edit: Unless you're talking about things like Twitters and Tumblrs because a lot of people have those.

It's okay. The production on it is unnervingly dry and underwhelming. The inadequacies of the storytelling become apparent when the show tries to target anything outside the basic work day, leaving the series without much of a personal or emotional background. This becomes especially noticeable during sequences that feature the dolls.
I would call the production basic, with occasional flourishes. "Unnervingly dry" is a bit melodramatic. To me, it works in the context of a show about anime production for the production to be workmanlike, avoiding ostentation and not drawing attention to itself except on occasion. The storytelling complaints I don't get at all, as the most standout aspect of the show is the gentle and restrained way it deals with its characters. The last few episodes especially have put human drama ahead of the struggles of churning out an episode.

Jex

I'm secretly putting everyone who is watching Cross Ange on my list of people with bad taste.

That doesn't seem like a particularly secret list!
It's a sad statement about anime fans that Cross Ange seems to be garnering more enthusiasm than most of the actually good anime that have come out recently.

Eh, I have no idea how much attention Cross Ange is getting compared to other silly, twist-oriented shows but it seems pretty much par for the course. I can't think of many occasions where the most critically 'lauded' shows of the season are getting the attention they deserve.

Sora no Method 09

Is it terrible I want to see their friendship with Shirone fall apart so that the show can turn in a more interesting direction? Rather than them all being friends and stuff and easily getting over hang ups I want to see them really fight for their friendships and to see the end result of that fight. Don't get me wrong though. I want them all to stay friends, I just don't want it resolved quickly.

Jex

[Parasyte] - 8 & 9

This show could also be called 'The Wacky Adventures of Shinichi's Harem'.

Leaving aside the shows female characters, I'm glad we've move backed towards an examination of the the parasytes themselves as opposed to just strictly horror-movie stuff.

Fate Stay Night UBW - 03

Not sure I like how Berserker is just this growling lump of meat. He has the right to banter with the other Servants too :(
They may be called Mages/Masters but I didn't really expect them to have spells/abilities of their own. Like Rins magic stones and laser arm(?) or Illya's.. hair? It seems everyone is just dipping their toes in the pool right now and testing eachother out. It always ends with "Well I got to go now, see you guys later!"

Fate Stay Night UBW - 03

Not sure I like how Berserker is just this growling lump of meat. He has the right to banter with the other Servants too :(
They may be called Mages/Masters but I didn't really expect them to have spells/abilities of their own. Like Rins magic stones and laser arm(?) or Illya's.. hair? It seems everyone is just dipping their toes in the pool right now and testing eachother out. It always ends with "Well I got to go now, see you guys later!"
That just wouldn't work with the lore that Berserkers gain a massive amount of their power from their loss of sanity.

Jex

[Shirobako] - 7 & 8

It doesn't feel like the story has much palpable forward momentum now that the major crises with the production have been resolved however I am enjoying the examinations of various characters work related problems. It just doesn't feel like it has much 'drive', but I suppose that gives it more time to examine a wider variety of roles within the industry.

Fate Stay Night UBW 8

Dumb plot, stereotyped characters. Which is basically what I'm saying since a few episodes.

-Shirou dreams he is made... of... edges?!!! really? A very literal metaphor of how EDGY he is.
-Shirou learning to be a great swordman in a few days. So real.
-Shinji being EVIL, putting evil faces, laughing in a EVIL way, doing EVIL poses, etc.
-Rin being less of a character and more of a bundle of tsundereness. The scene of her waiting her in the corridor, lol.
-Rin wasting command seals, again with the obession/excuse of being "fair". Lol.
-Both of them being in school without his servant to protect them. As if they could defend themselves of a serious Servant attack. Dumb dumb dumb.
-Rin knew that Shinji is a Master but she isn't worried because he isn't a true Master... who cares you dumb #~€@! he has a Servant!
-Did they really
kill Rider already?
It seems a waste, they didn't show her true special powers.
-They let Shinji go without obtaining any real info, sigh.
-oh he is a so deep character, Shirou can't really FEEL anything because his trauma as a kid, his inner self is like a robot. My family is dead. I've seen corpses before. Woe is me. Brb going to listen to The Cure.

Jarmel

Banned
Carnage-
So someone described it earlier as Tarantino-like and I fully agree with that assessment. The way the short is filmed, and the story itself, reminds me of Kill Bill. It feels like something of a pilot or concept for a longer story. I would say that I would love a longer version of this but I think it would retread too much Kill Bill. That's not to say that it wouldn't be fun, but it would be redundant to an extent.
I wish we had more anime with experimental design and artstyles like this. The animations themselves were fairly unique, mainly in how the main character moved.

dan2026

I'm puzzled as to why people are still acting surprised by the fact that everything in the Fate/whatever universe is absolute shit

To be fair I enjoyed 'Zero'. But Stay/Night just seems crap.
I am waiting for the penny to drop and the 'ah this is what all the fuss and budget was for' moment. But it never comes.

Also why is every Master a school kid? Is there any real reason?

Quasar

Still "of quality" and still under-discussed.

True. Though there is so much hate for its CG foreground animation its probably no wonder it isn't when combined with its younger focus.

Certainly fansub only isn't the reason given what got named GAFs anime of 2013.

Fate Stay Night UBW 8

Dumb plot, stereotyped characters. Which is basically what I'm saying since a few episodes.

-Shirou learning to be a great swordman in a few days. So real.

Did I misread the subs or did Rin even state that she's sorry for what happened "yesterday"?

As in...how the fuck would that timeline even work out then. Even if Shirou was dragged away by Caster in the early morning, did he somehow get healed (Saber?) and trained a lot within that short timeframe?

Oh really? That's interesting. Thanks for clearing that out.
No problem!

Girl Friend BETA 08

How heavily throughout this episode did it drop hints about people trying something new and failing? Amusing how the MC completely missed it through the first portion of the show. Oh well, she learned her lesson in the end and that's what matters. I was gonna hope the show went back to focusing on her but based on the next preview that may not be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom