• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

Cross Ange ep 9

Can we dare say this has surpass Valvrave in terms of hilarity?

I guess so, since only Fukuda could do so much fucking around.

Although I'm only keeping up with the hilarity of it all vicariously, since too many things already put me off the show. :p

Not worth actually sitting through, IMHO.

Fate Stay Night UBW - 01

Not as exciting as the previous episode. Ms. Fuji is glorious though.
So the redhead is a Master. Lancer visiting all the way from Ireland? Sabers 'invisible' weapon is neat. I guess we're finally continuing where first episode left off.

Is this your first exposure to the Fate Universe? Have you not seen Fate/Zero? To be clear it really doesn't matter if you see Fate/Stay Night UBW or Fate/Zero first it's just uncommon these days for someone not to have seen Zero already. When you're caught up on Stay Night you may want to head back to watch Zero in any case. Or not ... like I said it doesn't really matter.

Is this your first exposure to the Fate Universe? Have you not seen Fate/Zero? To be clear it really doesn't matter if you see Fate/Stay Night UBW or Fate/Zero first it's just uncommon these days for someone not to have seen Zero already. When you're caught up on Stay Night you may want to head back to watch Zero in any case. Or not ... like I said it doesn't really matter.

That's correct it's my first time. I've picked some minor stuff up through osmosis though. If I end up enjoying this throughout I'll definitely check out Zero.

Akame Ga Kill - 22

Welp those titles reveal too much. I had little interest in who would've won since I care little for both of them. Also random armored(?) danger beast out of nowhere.
That kill in the beginning by Esdeath was brutal, and she's coming for you Tatsumi. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends with everyone dead but Tatsumi who's chained next to Esdeath for the rest of his live.
mCFMuUW.jpg

Akame 22

This sister vs. sister battle was just so...nothing. Its clear that danger beast was tossed in there because it was an easy way of getting rid of Kuro's summons so they didn't have to bother having to think of a way for Akame to handle them. Dear lord this shitty adaptation just keeps getting worse and worse and the title and previews of the next episode are so fucking dumb I cannot handle it.

Midonin

Going back to Cinderella Girls, while Ranko is my favorite of the ones who are confirmed in the preview, there's a few left out who I wanted to see. Chika Yokoyama, Hikaru Nanjou... and Shizuka Oikawa. These three don't even have CD releases so I understand it... but I just want to see them animated.

Midonin

Grisaia 09

I like the apple motif, and Makina's story is tragic and compelling, but again, I continue to be on the fence about Yuuji, leaning more towards questioning how I'm supposed to feel about this guy. I like him better than Tatsuya by a wide margin, but his solutions to all these problems have been really.... violent. The only one that wasn't was when he stopped Sachi's violence a few episodes ago. It's still my favorite of the currently airing VN adaptations, but it has my least favorite protagonist. Makina is cute, though. I think there should only be one arc left to cover. So let's cover it.

Akame Ga Kill - 22

Welp those titles reveal too much. I had little interest in who would've won since I care little for both of them. Also random armored(?) danger beast out of nowhere.
That kill in the beginning by Esdeath was brutal, and she's coming for you Tatsumi. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends with everyone dead but Tatsumi who's chained next to Esdeath for the rest of his live.

Good Ending 1

Upotte!! 10

Sure.

And it ends with some kind of anti-gun message. Oh, and the teacher gets shot.

Cute guns doing cute things then. Mostly funny because it's so completely ridiculous. Quite lewd at times too. It does have a lot of info about guns, but I'm not sure that would be a good enough reason to watch if you feel the need for an excuse. :p

The action is entertaining enough, but the drama doesn't really work, probably because, well... everybody are guns! Sako is really something as well. More of a show to laugh at then with.

Some of the music seems similar to the music in Air.

It's one of these fun dumb shows. I give it 3.5/5 girl guns:
oginmGK.png

Midonin

Girlfriend Beta 08

Hanging out with Kana Asumi and Haruka Tomatsu for an episode made this worth it. I didn't think an ice cream float would be that difficult to make, but like any recipe, these things take some degree of measuring and mixing and getting it right. The baseline of any episode of this series is a really simple lesson, but I'm seeing how, like any anthology, things inevitably start to connect just by the characters' relationships being defined in relation to each other, and to other characters whom we've already met. (Chloe seriously needs an episode all to herself.)

Next week is as close as I'll get to reliving the wondrous days of K-ON!. Can't wait.

Necrovex

Just completed One Piece Z...When did One Piece films start becoming amazing? I thought Hosoda was the only grand one! It's a good thing I followed Duckroll's recommendation. :-D

And my mind is falling apart due to the ending credit music in One Piece Z. It's too...NON-JAPANESE!

Your Lie in April 8:
All they ever wanted was for their rival to notice them. Although the episode being centered around the rivals was expected, it was still really good. The animation and the music were top notch as you would expect, and Igawa's performance was quite moving. The musical performances are just so strong in this show. Hopefully Kousei can avoid dropping the ball in the next episode.

And I guess we now have a love octagon or something like that?

Just completed One Piece Z...When did One Piece films start becoming amazing? I thought Hosoda was the only grand one! It's a good thing I followed Duckroll's recommendation. :-D

And my mind is falling apart due to the ending credit music in One Piece Z. It's too...NON-JAPANESE!
That final fight with Z was so great

And yes, Oda is an Avril Lavigne fan, and vice versa

NeonZ

Dear lord this shitty adaptation just keeps getting worse and worse and the title and previews of the next episode are so fucking dumb I cannot handle it.

I think people would say the same thing about Seiryuu's gimmicks and also other ones if they had been anime original. Aside from a quicker pacing, which does hurt some of the emotional impact, I don't see how these developments are out of character for the series.

How involved was Oda with this project? Felt like something I could have seen being 'canon.'
He was the executive producer, so the story itself, aside from
Aokiji's Ice leg
is non canon

The movie Strong World he was personally involved in, and that has some canon details

Still both great movies

Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji - 09

Some funny misunderstandings in the beginning, those moans were pretty.. legit.
Nice to see Kamiya who's trying to force his ideals on Sata, to be the one to rethink his own in the end. Cute pillow ending.

VRMN

Tamako Love Story

Seems like a few people are just getting to watching this now. I have to say, even as someone who thought the original show was underwhelming, largely because it lacked much in the way of focus, this was probably my favorite thing KyoAni has done since Hyouka. It was cute, the story was focused and well-told, the cinematography was top notch with a lot of interesting shots, and of course the animation was what I expect from Kyoto Animation.

I was disappointed that they ended where they did when I'd have preferred they go a bit longer, but at some level that's an issue I have with the genre more than this particular work. I also wish they had done a little more with Midori's feelings, but the subtext that they did put in there was nice enough for me to overlook the character largely staying on the sideline.

But, by and large, between this and Amagi Brilliant Park, I'm feeling better about the studio than I have in years.

Have you seen Strong World because that was a really fun and great One Piece Movie.

Jex

So there's been quite a few posts in the last couple of pages on the subject of Sunrise's non-Gundam mecha show for this season, Cross Ange. As this series has generated some controversy over it's depiction of women while also drawing praise for being enjoyable trash I thought I'd add my thoughts to the matter.

In short, Cross Ange is not a good series. The show, despite it's ridiculous story and characters, is very bland. It doesn't feature interesting characters, or exciting action sequences or even cool robots. It doesn't do anything particularly well, and even the things it does that differentiate it from other titles (namely the ridiculous story and general trashiness) have been done better in other works.

What it does trade in is abuse and suffering, not only in terms of the fate of the protagonist, Ange, but in terms of all the 'oppressed' people in the series. You'd think that would make for a rather dark story, but the general goofiness of the way events are portrayed stops the show from becoming a dour, Urobochi-esque despair play. It's far more stupid than it is is serious, and the creators clearly know that as well which is why they ratchet up the melodrama wherever they can.

Ultimately, the only thing that differentiates this show from other pieces of trashy anime is how self-aware it is but that doesn't give the creators free reign to make a bad series. There are honestly plenty of far better trashy shows out there, this just happens to be one that's currently airing.

On a final note, with regards to the events of this week's episode, it's pretty disappointing that it looks like Ange will need some man to bail her out of her mess. Considering that her competence as a cold warrior was the only good part about the series it's a shame to see her so useless here.

Jarmel

Banned
Parasyte-9

Oh lord this girl is fucking stupid beyond belief. Holy shit.

Also half this show now is him bailing idiots out of stupid scenarios.

Kokoro Connect - 08

When the show establishes that all further drama is going to be purposely exaggerated due to the intervention of Ninja Plant KungFu Aliens then it's really hard to become personally invested with what's actually going on on screen. As such, in this case, the "drama" was more or less lost on me. It's established that the outbursts and random happenings aren't actually genuine. Couple this the last few episodes being able to be summarized with, Immediate Explosion at X -> Withdrawal from group and you make for a pretty unsatisfying development for the show. The purpose of this new gimmick was to reveal each of the character's "hidden selves" but nothing of the sort has actually been accomplished here. We've gained no new insight into the characters that we haven't been exposed to since the beginning of the series.

And it's not like there's not some more development into the lives of our characters that we could see here either, our main character has had up until this point a completely unexplained boner for saving the women around him, an aspect that seems to reside at the core of his character with 0 actual reason as to why that would be the case.

Moving away from the only gimmick the show had to create an interesting story has, unsurprisingly, made the thing a lot less entertaining as a whole.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's a sad statement about anime fans that Cross Ange seems to be garnering more enthusiasm than most of the actually good anime that have come out recently.

That's patently false and you're just being selective to perpetuate the "anime is doomed and anime fans are scum and we should all just die" narrative. Numerous people in this very thread are discussing every show of quality this season--there are more results for posts mentioning Shirobako, Bahamut, and Parasyte in this thread than Cross Ange, and all other critically well-received shows have consistently vocal proponents here. People are discussing a show in a public thread that you personally don't like? Too bad. The complaining about people watching Cross Ange is vastly more obnoxious than discussion of Cross Ange.

fertygo

Are we going to pretend anything of value is airing this season?
Not my fault if people ignoring Grande Road.
That's patently false and you're just being selective to perpetuate the "anime is doomed and anime fans are scum and we should all just die" narrative. Numerous people in this very thread are discussing every show of quality this season--there are more results for posts mentioning Shirobako, Bahamut, and Parasyte in this thread than Cross Ange, and all other critically well-received shows have consistently vocal proponents here. People are discussing a show in a public thread that you personally don't like? Too bad. The complaining about people watching Cross Ange is vastly more obnoxious than discussion of Cross Ange.

Yep.

It's a sad statement about anime fans that Cross Ange seems to be garnering more enthusiasm than most of the actually good anime that have come out recently.

It's a series that is "fun" to comment, if you know what I mean, that doesn't mean it's actually better than other current series. Also it's on the weekend which increase the odds of having time to post about it (for example I couldn't post about the last Bahamut episode, and even if I could have done it the next day, the discussion of the thread had passed it and people were talking about other stuff, which make me less prone to make a post).

Pooya

I watch Cross Ange because everything else turned out boring as dirt. This is the season of dumbest anime. I've looked at other shows, nothing really excites. I'm pretty much done with slice of life and/or romance and similar. CA brings in some good laughs on a weekly basis, dare I say the story is exciting to follow as bad as it is.

Bahamut seemed good, just not into this kind of fantasy at the moment, maybe finish it later. Parasyte, didn't really watch it, just not interested in the premise. Let's see, the season is almost over and we're still on the very first OT, it was just not very good. There are some decent to pretty good shows but no standouts. Actually I have only one show to put in aoty top10 right now, that would be Nozaki. Now it wasn't terrible but nothing really special either. I don't think anyone remember anything from this season a year from now.

I'm secretly putting everyone who is watching Cross Ange on my list of people with bad taste.

treating us like norma, damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom