• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

You would actually pay $400+ for a 26 episode series and a movie?

What kind of solid gold fantasy world are you living in?

For the few series I really enjoy, like top-tier stuff on my enjoyment list, I will splurge. I usually get a pretty hefty tax return every year so I usually use it as video game and anime budget for the year after using half of it on student loans.

I bought the TTGL BD Box too. So fucking worth it. One of my most prized possessions that I am 100% pleased with the product I got for the money I paid.

This is the point where ultimatemegax tell you oricon sales number ain't end of it.

Btw I thought the novel is quite popular anyway and gonna had live action.

Oh live action? With any luck it will re-kindle the possibility in the anime. I read somewhere that there is planned a second novel?

dan2026

For the few series I really enjoy, like top-tier stuff on my enjoyment list, I will splurge. I usually get a pretty hefty tax return every year so I usually use it as video game and anime budget for the year after using half of it on student loans.

I bought the TTGL BD Box too. So fucking worth it. One of my most prized possessions that I am 100% pleased with the product I got for the money I paid.
Fair play to you.

I just can't see the value. I am too used to mostly sane western blu-ray prices.

wonzo

Banned
ronja 3-6
ronja3.jpg
ronja3a.jpg

ronja3b.jpg
ronja4.jpg

They've completely nailed the whimsical sense of discovery and the dangers lurking beneath it all which contrasts rather nicely to the somewhat jovial feud between to two tribes. I'm looking forward to what's coming up next even if it is painfully obvious what they're gonna do with the boy and the split castle motif.

Blablurn

Okay. I watched Welcome to th NHK episode 1, 2 and 3 yesterday.

First I was like wut

Then I was like wat

But then I started to enjoy it.

Thoraxes

Fair play to you.

I just can't see the value. I am too used to mostly sane western blu-ray prices.

Totally understandable. I only recently started purchasing anime this past year. Pretty much anything that can be bought on a sale I wait for a sale to happen.

I can't explain why I like it, but I just do.

Rhapsody

Banned
Inou Battle 9

I like how this show flips between serious and fun. Not sure why I enjoy this so much, but it's clicked.

Curious on Andou's power being shown later in the series (since we know the love interest won't be resolved)

TUSR

Banned
Inou Battle 9

I like how this show flips between serious and fun. Not sure why I enjoy this so much, but it's clicked.

Curious on Andou's power being shown later in the series (since we know the love interest won't be resolved)

Its at the point where I am really enjoying it on a weekly basis, and now it ends in 3 weeks.

Since the LNs are still on going, I presume there will be content to warrant a S2. Depends on how successful this S1 run has been.

ronja 3-6

They've completely nailed the whimsical sense of discovery and the dangers lurking beneath it all which contrasts rather nicely to the somewhat jovial feud between to two tribes. I'm looking forward to what's coming up next even if it is painfully obvious what they're gonna do with the boy and the split castle motif.

I dropped in episode 7 because well, it was too obvious the direction of the plot and the general tone was a bit infantile for me.

The 3d was interesting, in some parts they really nailed it and it was super close to 2d, in other scenes it was jarring as usual. In particular facial animation was good. Maybe in 4-5 years more they can really get it and Duckroll's reign will come!

Westlo

Oh. I know that anime adaptions are pretty much done only as an advertisement for the original source material but Mahouka was so bad and boring that it feels weird to me that anime adaption made LN sales overtake the almighty SAO. Well I guess I just can't see the awesomenes of Onii sama.

It's not a better seller than SAO.

Light Novel Sales by Volumes
*3. 350,693 Sword Art Online Vol.14
*4. 332,314 Sword Art Online Vol.15
*5. 331,256 Sword Art Online: Progressive Vol.2
*6. 226,371 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.13
10. 206,593 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.14

It sells a good 100k-150k less per volume than SAO. The reason why it sold more copies this year was because volumes 1-12 went from being 100k too 200k.

Next year it will trail behind SAO by quite a bit if an equal amount of volumes are released.

Mahouka LN sales were already pretty strong, pretty sure it cracked the 100k mark easily pre anime, it's not exactly a Durarra which went from selling 30k to 300k thanks to the anime. (though sales have dropped off a cliff, maybe partially why we're getting 2 sequels finally).

fertygo

Totally understandable. I only recently started purchasing anime this past year. Pretty much anything that can be bought on a sale I wait for a sale to happen.

I can't explain why I like it, but I just do.

The satisfying feeling of supporting show that I totally like is the appeal for me, buying 1 vol of them is likely far more helping the show directly than buying complete set from funimation.

And the quality of american release made isn't made it any worth more than paying streaming account for CR/Netflix anyway.

cajunator

Banned
Okay. I watched Welcome to th NHK episode 1, 2 and 3 yesterday.

First I was like wut

Then I was like wat

But then I started to enjoy it.

one of my favorites.
NHK is a very intriguing series that really goes into the psyche of a hikikomori as well as a lot of other issues.

B Gata H Kei: Gata's First Time 1

Always with the tummy rubs...

This was pretty funny though.

hilarious show.
great choice.

She is a cutie!
Just another heart for Kirito to break in half probably.

Rhapsody

Banned
Its at the point where I am really enjoying it on a weekly basis, and now it ends in 3 weeks.

Since the LNs are still on going, I presume there will be content to warrant a S2. Depends on how successful this S1 run has been.

I hope so. I don't expect the LNs to be picked up or fan translated. Plus I like how Trigger handled it.

Quasar

I hope so. I don't expect the LNs to be picked up or fan translated. Plus I like how Trigger handled it.

Must admit I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up for fan translation. Pretty much every series picked up for anime seems to have a fan translation.

TUSR

Banned

The adaption bounces all over the LN volumes which is pretty neat.

Must admit I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up for fan translation. Pretty much every series picked up for anime seems to have a fan translation.

Im pretty sure there is a translation (albeit poor) for the first couple LNs around somewhere...

Quasar

The adaption bounces all over the LN volumes which is pretty neat.

Im pretty sure there is a translation (albeit poor) for the first couple LNs around somewhere...

Mostly I'm curious to know how many books the show has burned through. Wikipedia says there are 9 books so far.

mAcOdIn

Rage of Bahamut stuff

Don't blame the author, the show is based on a F2P card game so they have to take every mythology available and make a mix in order to sell more cards.
Oh wow, I didn't know that at all. I guess I should give props then to whomever's stuck trying to tie all that shit together.
[Bahamut] - 8

I don't really know why Rita is in this show. She basically feels like a DLC character in a Bioware RPG that you only use on your second playthough because she has a few lines that trigger here and there but no actual character arc or story relevance.
Igh, so much wrong.

First off, you always start with the DLC characters in your party, they're usually awesome and you can still get the normal character arcs in the same game anyways so why not use them?

Second off, does a 200 year old girl need a character arc, like is she supposed to have more revelations about life that she already hasn't? I'd think somewhere around the first hundred you're pretty much acting and thinking how you always will.

Third, she has about the same amount of lines as Kaiser since about half of his lines are just him yelling "Favaro."

Lastly, her facial responses are awesome.

Tessa

I don't know who to believe here. Oh wait a minute, yes I do! #Cajuntruth.
Tessa's seriously the worst choice, real men would choose Mao, would take Chidori in a pinch and if neither of those two would bite, their hand before Tessa.

Tessa hater fo life yo.

mAcOdIn

Also I just wanna say that Tessa is my most hated archetype character ever and one I frankly find somewhat offensive.

As a lover of women, someone who's been in the military and has a huge fetish for women in command in fiction and a healthy dose of respect for the men and women who are and have been in the kind of role portrayed by Tessa and others of her ilk I find the cute clumsy commander who sucks at everything but still somehow comes through just because she tries and her crew adores her for it disgusting. Only anime would throw something so repulsive out there like that. A good character in my opinion should transcend genres and mediums and I can't think of any loved or respected captain outside of anime that acts like this. I can't imagine Battlestar Galactica introducing Adama the same way and people letting it fly and even goofier captains like Malcom Reynolds from Firefly exude more leadership and professionalism than the likes of Tessa.

On one hand I want to say we should want better female characters, that's my selfish wish as I can stomach a weak or stupid plot if the characters are good enough but characters like Tessa and Misamaru(or whatever from Nadesico) and Tyler(from Irresponsible Captain Tylor) do anotherthing and that's basically devalue the conflict down to KAOS and Control(Get Smart) or Dr. Claw versus Inspector Gadget. You can't take an organization that places these types of people in command positions seriously and as a result everything comes of goofy, meaningless and stupid. At least in Nadesico and the Irresponsible Captain Tyler everyone's goofy and they're comedies but Full Metal Panic tries to actually be serious and Tessa's mere existence undermines it.

And I don't know if Tessa or the plot came first to the author but literally so much of it is hand in hand bad, the things people like about her are bad. She endangers her crew and her mission countless times and it always elicits a Tessa rocks statement from people who like her and all I can think is that a competent Captain wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place and everything just goes downhill from there for me.

We should demand better.

Sagebu - 12 [END]

BEST. ENDING. EVER.

AOTY! AOTY! AOTY!
Just watch the oav
Maken-ki! Two - 03

This show is shameless. :lol
Nya ..just nya ( best maken episode ever )
Sabagebu Special - 01

There are no words to express how badly I want a second season of this. This show rekindled my love for anime.
Oh wait , you did .

Also I just wanna say that Tessa is my most hated archetype character ever and one I frankly find somewhat offensive.

As a lover of women, someone who's been in the military and has a huge fetish for women in command in fiction and a healthy dose of respect for the men and women who are and have been in the kind of role portrayed by Tessa and others of her ilk I find the cute clumsy commander who sucks at everything but still somehow comes through just because she tries and her crew adores her for it disgusting. Only anime would throw something so repulsive out there like that. A good character in my opinion should transcend genres and mediums and I can't think of any loved or respected captain outside of anime that acts like this. I can't imagine Battlestar Galactica introducing Adama the same way and people letting it fly and even goofier captains like Malcom Reynolds from Firefly exude more leadership and professionalism than the likes of Tessa.

On one hand I want to say we should want better female characters, that's my selfish wish as I can stomach a weak or stupid plot if the characters are good enough but characters like Tessa and Misamaru(or whatever from Nadesico) and Tyler(from Irresponsible Captain Tylor) do anotherthing and that's basically devalue the conflict down to KAOS and Control(Get Smart) or Dr. Claw versus Inspector Gadget. You can't take an organization that places these types of people in command positions seriously and as a result everything comes of goofy, meaningless and stupid. At least in Nadesico and the Irresponsible Captain Tyler everyone's goofy and they're comedies but Full Metal Panic tries to actually be serious and Tessa's mere existence undermines it.

And I don't know if Tessa or the plot came first to the author but literally so much of it is hand in hand bad, the things people like about her are bad. She endangers her crew and her mission countless times and it always elicits a Tessa rocks statement from people who like her and all I can think is that a competent Captain wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place and everything just goes downhill from there for me.

We should demand better.

The only problem with tessa is that the show doesn't explain why she is in charge and why nobody complains untill VERY LATE ( or at all , since those parts weren't put in anime ).
Tessa endangers her crew only once and was selfish once ? Not to mention the power position within mythril to consider. For most of the missions she did until "THE BIG EVENT" ( no spoiler but everyone know what that is ) there wouldn't have been a sucess rate that high if she wasn't in charge.

Jintor

Log Horizon s2 09

FML, even when Log Horizon's animators are like 'Let's depict a raid battle as everyone flinging light orbs at a big guy' and cheaping out on animation cuts the directing and writing still makes it look fucking enthralling. i dun get it

Seriously this show's just great

mAcOdIn

The only problem with tessa is that the show doesn't explain why she is in charge and why nobody complains untill VERY LATE ( or at all , since those parts weren't put in anime ).
Tessa endangers her crew only once and was selfish once ? Not to mention the power position within mythril to consider. For most of the missions she did until "THE BIG EVENT" ( no spoiler but everyone know what that is ) there wouldn't have been a sucess rate that high if she was in charge.
Well, I don't know what this "event" is but I totally disagree.

My reasoning is this: If Tessa were a competent commander making wise decisions either for her crew or at the very least for her organization's mission the entire first season of Full Metal Panic could not have happened. The decisions of letting Chidori stay in school is just plain idiotic from any point of view except anime logic and whether that was Tessa or someone higher's call anyone who agrees considering what's at stake in that world is crazy. Japan's crazy, Tessa's crazy, Mithrill's crazy and all the other member nations are crazy. Bad decisions flow like Diarrhea once that decision was made like sending the Arbalest unmanned via rocket into enemy territory for Sousuke to use, letting him keep it to guard Chidori at home thus taking it out of service from the sub and it's other missions despite it being seemingly their best one at the time, none of this is sound military thinking and it just goes on and on.

The anime never goes too far into detail with Mithrill and the enemy faction but you can tell Mithrill's kind of a big deal and putting aside the difference between a somewhat sponsored mercenary force and a professional one, they're not secret in the universe, they're shown to have some skill in combat when portrayed and have been known publicly to have been in many engagements, clearly are supported by many national powers and sometimes work in conjunction with or for them and then for the show to set this up and then have them act like, shit I don't know, some amateur local redneck militia with high-tech toys is rather jarring. Especially considering the stakes and doubly so considering everyone who knows how they're getting that tech.

You can almost forgive the show initially thinking it's pretty much a comedy but then Afghanistan happens and the show shows you what really happens out there and that really drives home just how stupid Mithrill and everyone involved really is.

Tessa may be a competent commander when compared to other Mithrill commanders but that's not saying much, that's still incompetent. Whatever back story they give for why Tessa's in charge I dunno but I can't imagine it being a good enough reason to excuse what we do see or accept it as good.
Especially if the reason cited is because it's her design because that amounts to jack shit, no sub designer's also a Captain.

Full Metal Panic would need to be a totally different show if we wanted to staff it with actual competent(to their profession's requirement) characters and perhaps that show would be less entertaining to many, I give you that, but then we could say a character's great at their job or not, but in its current state I think it's fair to say they(any Mithrill personnel) all fail.

Blusby

Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai 06: This series still manages to be one of the more enjoyable this season, took a few of scenes that I cracked up at over my course of watching the show:

Best bro and best cat ever.

Jintor

Yama no Susume s2 04

When this show does a hot springs thing it somehow manages to make it cute and adorable and oddly innocent. Weirrrddddddd

so much healing

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 05

Lewd

Tekyuu s2 11-12

So fast paced and hilarious

Well, I don't know what this "event" is but I totally disagree.

My reasoning is this: If Tessa were a competent commander making wise decisions either for her crew or at the very least for her organization's mission the entire first season of Full Metal Panic could not have happened. The decisions of letting Chidori stay in school is just plain idiotic from any point of view except anime logic and whether that was Tessa or someone higher's call anyone who agrees considering what's at stake in that world is crazy. Japan's crazy, Tessa's crazy, Mithrill's crazy and all the other member nations are crazy. Bad decisions flow like Diarrhea once that decision was made like sending the Arbalest unmanned via rocket into enemy territory for Sousuke to use, letting him keep it to guard Chidori at home thus taking it out of service from the sub and it's other missions despite it being seemingly their best one at the time, none of this is sound military thinking and it just goes on and on.

The anime never goes too far into detail with Mithrill and the enemy faction but you can tell Mithrill's kind of a big deal and putting aside the difference between a somewhat sponsored mercenary force and a professional one, they're not secret in the universe, they're shown to have some skill in combat when portrayed and have been known publicly to have been in many engagements, clearly are supported by many national powers and sometimes work in conjunction with or for them and then for the show to set this up and then have them act like, shit I don't know, some amateur local redneck militia with high-tech toys is rather jarring. Especially considering the stakes and doubly so considering everyone who knows how they're getting that tech.

You can almost forgive the show initially thinking it's pretty much a comedy but then Afghanistan happens and the show shows you what really happens out there and that really drives home just how stupid Mithrill and everyone involved really is.

Tessa may be a competent commander when compared to other Mithrill commanders but that's not saying much, that's still incompetent. Whatever back story they give for why Tessa's in charge I dunno but I can't imagine it being a good enough reason to excuse what we do see or accept it as good.
Especially if the reason cited is because it's her design because that amounts to jack shit, no sub designer's also a Captain.

Full Metal Panic would need to be a totally different show if we wanted to staff it with actual competent(to their profession's requirement) characters and perhaps that show would be less entertaining to many, I give you that, but then we could say a character's great at their job or not, but in its current state I think it's fair to say they(any Mithrill personnel) all fail.

Well your problem is not with tessa but with the premise of full metal panic.

Chidori in school is kinda a big deal, it's part of the fact that tessa ( and mythril ) think that the whispered should lead normal lives and their ennemies believe that they should be taken and their knowledge extracted for their own purposes.

The thing is within universe , tessa not only has an almost flawless record of operations ( higher than anyone in mythrill ) , she has a position within mithril thanks to her status as a whispered and the fact that she is a genius commander.
Now you add the fact that the 2 people that their second of command is a fearsome tactician + the war veteran ( sousuke mentor ) are trusted by everyone and trust her .. ( not to mention melissa ) It's no surprise that nobody question her decisions much ( or at all ).
She has the track record, achievements to back her decisions and the core of the crew support her

You can argue that , this doesn't prevent things from happenning , but that's the main drive of full metal panic and they still got the escuse that you can't predict what to do in front of that extra broken technology.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 158 (engDUB)

Dragonic Overlord finally, I love when Toshiki Kai says that extremely dramatically. The best is finally back in action with our Kagerous that we have loved since the beginning. Sure Link Joker decks are godly, but the legacy established by the Kagerou's makes it remarkable and a highly anticipated deck.

It's not a better seller than SAO.

Light Novel Sales by Volumes
*3. 350,693 Sword Art Online Vol.14
*4. 332,314 Sword Art Online Vol.15
*5. 331,256 Sword Art Online: Progressive Vol.2
*6. 226,371 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.13
10. 206,593 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.14

It sells a good 100k-150k less per volume than SAO. The reason why it sold more copies this year was because volumes 1-12 went from being 100k too 200k.

Next year it will trail behind SAO by quite a bit if an equal amount of volumes are released.

Mahouka LN sales were already pretty strong, pretty sure it cracked the 100k mark easily pre anime, it's not exactly a Durarra which went from selling 30k to 300k thanks to the anime. (though sales have dropped off a cliff, maybe partially why we're getting 2 sequels finally).

Oh. Thanks for correction ! Kirito still reigning supreme. Onii-sama has no chance.

Im just glad Tokyo Ravens, Kagepro, SNAFU, and Hataraku Maou Sama had positions on the LN list of this year. All great series.

Hopefully yen-on will pick up the two from those four that they dont have.

Mokushiroku Arisu would definitely appear once its animated I bet, Dowl Masters too.

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar - Day 02

I take back the comparison. This reminds me of Mahoraba. The tone and even the art style are kind of similar. Cute New Years' episode, with Choco going out on the town and learning how a regular Japanese suburbia functions. Mistaking a box of crayons for Pocky is the kind of hijinks I expect from an anime, but I can forgive it because she's like an elementary-school (or at least early middle school) kid at best. The same kind of curiosity about the world Chifuyu has over in Inou Battle. I'm not sure if Choco is some kind of homunculus or not. She certainly behaves like a real human.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom