• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 console mods |OT| Mod peasants strike back

N° 2048

Yeaaa ok fuck that then I am just going to finish Far Harbor instead of waiting for mods.

What's funny is Pete Hines just said on Gamespot that PS4 mods are still coming this month. Literally just 4 minutes ago live.

Now way I believe that, unless Sony fixes all that in two weeks lololol

He actually said he might email the Randy Savage and Thomas Tank Engine license holders to allow them to use the mods on consoles. Can't tell if trolling.

gossi

Okay, PS4 mods are still coming this month is the plan. Their will be a private beta starting in days. Launch afterwards.

Please note there are some issues on PS4 at present. Mods are limited to 900mb (0.9gb) in total due to platform holder restrictions. Sounds files aren't allowed on PS4 due to platform holder licensing issues. Textures can't be optimised in size, because yeah. Bethesda are working with Sony to try to resolve the issues.

Bethesda and Sony, please, please, please work something out ;_;

I feel like those pictures of skeletons waiting for TLG is applicable here. Lmao

Man that ps4 news is very disheartening. I guess I'll but Bethesda games on xbone only.

I guess I should change my Skyrim preorder to xbone lol

Question: do you have to have Xbox live in order to access mods?

Allforce

This is my first time ever messing with mods, and my first time ever playing Fallout 4. Couple questions:

Is there a hard and fast rule to how you order these? I tried to follow any suggestions that were mentioned in each mods description but I probably installed about 25 yesterday and only about 5-6 of those had any specific notation as to how to order them.

Is there any way to enable/disable the mods directly in the game or do you have to back out to menu and change things and then go back in?

On Demand

Banned
Am I not able to hack bobbie's terminal because of the quest, or is it a glitch with the update? When I try it loads like it's about to but nothing happens.

Same for the lighting shadows following you. Whenever you move it covers everything a few feet in front of you.

EDIT- I was able to fix the lighting glitch with a reload.

_machine

What a fucking surprise.

Don't know why I bother with anything Bethesda on PS4 anymore.
Did you read the notes?

This is nice (but very small) insight into why it's taken so long to get modding support of the ground for console; from proprietary formats to filepaths to legal loopholes, it's an absolute minefield of problems to solve. Take the case of a single sound format; the converter developers use is most likely restricted to a development environment that compiles things and heavily protected (for good reasons on Sony's end), and Bethesda can't legally do anything about that. They have to work a solution together with Sony, their lawyers, that doesn't compromise the system, but allows users (who are not meant to) be able to convert their own files into a proprietary format.

For XBO it works a bit easier, since they have way less proprietary stuff and generally textures and shaders follow a similar format, as evidenced by the fact that textures don't seem to be recompiled when you export to XBO.

I do have hope that we'll see improvements to the matter as Sony as good financial reason to support Bethesda to the fullest and will want to match XBO spec-for-spec, but it certainly is going to be an uphill battle for everyone included.

What's funny is Pete Hines just said on Gamespot that PS4 mods are still coming this month. Literally just 4 minutes ago live.

He actually said he might email the Randy Savage and Thomas Tank Engine license holders to allow them to use the mods on consoles. Can't tell if trolling.
The notes are pretty clear in that those issues will be within the first shipped implementation and thus there's still very much a chance that it will come this month, but those issues will not be fixed.

For people waiting for the PS4 Mods.

Things don't look very promising at moment.

What is this bullshit? Shouldn't it be Bethesda's job and not Sony's job to make their game run on the PS4? Fucking make a tool mod authors can use to convert audio and texture formats.

Yeaaa ok fuck that then I am just going to finish Far Harbor instead of waiting for mods.

Pete Hines is a world class bullshitter.

_machine

What is this bullshit? Shouldn't it be Bethesda's job and not Sony's job to make their game run on the PS4? Fucking make a tool mod authors can use to convert audio and texture formats.
What on earth are you raving about?

The PS4 doesn't support other texture and audio formats other than Sony's own proprietary which is heavily protected and Bethesda cannot legally reproduce it. They cannot technically nor legally do anything about without Sony, but it bears mentioning that Sony also has very good reasons to use their own pipelines. Like seriously, these guys have already gone above and beyond in making it happen where most developers and publishers have seen a minefield that's not at all realistic for them. Just the legal legwork has to have cost a ton of money, for both platforms.

EDIT: When I mean doesn't support, I mean texture specs that match the usecase, not "all" texture formats.

N° 2048

Sony is the one holding back mods. Sony needs to give Bethesda tools.
_machine explained it perfectly above (Thanks btw :) )

TheYanger

Ok, so if I don't have Xbox gold, I can still download patches as well? Can I buy the dlc as well?

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm just scared and cheap to buy a game I currently own on a different system lol.

Thanks!

The only thing you ever need gold for is to play multiplayer online for games.

yVNlMUy.jpg

A work-in-progress picture of my outhouse Vault. Lots of cool prewar stuff got added onto the mod database as well so I have been utilizing that.

Is there currently any way of filtering mods that do not require Far Harbor? I won't have access to the dlc for a little while longer and I just don't want to start crashing my game immediately or have some mods simply not work.

Edit: Also, for a mods like Disable God Rays and Disable Lens Flare, I notice the descriptions say "Far Harbour Patch." Will I still be able to use these in vanilla?

Egg0

Banned
Anyone have the dialogue mod kinda show up in their unmodded game?

Unless it's a feature in Far Harbor, it shows the buttons in the regular diamond alignment, but it shows word for word what you say, and since it's in a diamond, some of the dialogue runs off screen.

Edit: I restarted the game and it's fixed now. Weird.

Recall

As a PS4 user I get a strong feeling that Fallout 4 mods won't ever come to the PS4, so strong in fact I'll even put money on it.

As a PS4 user I get a strong feeling that Fallout 4 mods won't ever come to the PS4, so strong in fact I'll even put money on it.

It will come out, it`s a major selling point of the Skyrim Special Edition.

But its implementation will be inferior when compared to the Xbox one.

Is there a reason the PS4 version didn't get them when the Xbox One got them?
I don't know a lot of the technical stuff, but aren't both consoles extremely similar?

Yeah when Bethesda see involved I make sure I get it for the Xbox, they have a very very poor record on PlayStation consoles. I remember getting Skyrim as a gift on ps3 and it ran terribly. Never again will I play one of their games on the PlayStation.

I hope mods are sorted as they are amazing and I want people to have as much fun as I am getting our of them.

Toni

What a fucking surprise.

Don't know why I bother with anything Bethesda on PS4 anymore.

There are no problems with the mods themselves, it's that at the moment, they are restricted to only 900mb. So modders can't upload all of their content on PS4 as opposed to Xbox One where there's a whopping 2GB of space for upload.

Given how many requiremnets/steps exist to make mods work on PC from Nexus, I wasn't expecting much. I'm amazed Xbox One got it right off the bat almost without any hassles.

There are no problems with the mods themselves, it's that at the moment, they are restricted to only 900mb. So modders can't upload all of their content on PS4 as opposed to Xbox One where there's a whopping 2GB of space for upload.

Given how many requiremnets/steps exist to make mods work on PC from Nexus, I wasn't expecting much. I'm amazed Xbox One got it right off the bat almost without any hassles.

Is that a technical limitation or a weird Sony thing?

Lakitu

st5fu
So annoyed waiting for mods on PS4. Such a shame. Hope they sort it soon. Feel left out.

At least Contraptions came out today so I've put some weapon and armour racks out.

Why the space for mods is so low in both?

The only reason that I can think of is that Bethesda saves them in a save file.

Just because it's a major selling point of Skyrim, doesn't mean it'll see the light of day in Fallout 4.

The issues that they are having now, are same that they will have in Skyrim, solve in one will solve for both.

I don't see why they wouldn’t implemented.

Gossi if you're reading this, you're the only modder I know around these parts so I have a query/request for a possible mod.

So ever since New Vegas I always wanted an "equip-able cigarette." Meaning like I've always wanted to have a smoke hangin' out of my character's mouth. I role-play pretty extensively with these kinds of games and I always have a couple loosies and a pack of smokes in my inventory just cause. Have you run across a mod like this yet? Or is it something that'd be easy to do? I searched Beth's mod site and found nothing.

gossi

Gossi if you're reading this, you're the only modder I know around these parts so I have a query/request for a possible mod.

So ever since New Vegas I always wanted an "equip-able cigarette." Meaning like I've always wanted to have a smoke hangin' out of my character's mouth. I role-play pretty extensively with these kinds of games and I always have a couple loosies and a pack of smokes in my inventory just cause. Have you run across a mod like this yet? Or is it something that'd be easy to do? I searched Beth's mod site and found nothing.

Hmm, should be possible. There's a mod for drinking beer, you could grab that and modify it.

The issues that they are having now, are same that they will have in Skyrim, solve in one will solve for both.

I don't see why they wouldn’t implemented.

They're not on the same engine, so that's not true at all. Additionally, the problems are related to performance, an area in which Skyrim will fair more easily.

They're not on the same engine, so that's not true at all. Additionally, the problems are related to performance, an area in which Skyrim will fair more easily.

?
They have been using the same engine since Morrowind.

About the texture problem, we don’t know what is causing the issue, and Bethesda already said that they are working on an optimal way to export texture to the PS4 (like they did on the Xbox One).

The main issues in my opinion are the Sony’s proprietary audio format and the Mod space which also affects Skyrim.

It will come out, it`s a major selling point of the Skyrim Special Edition.

But its implementation will be inferior when compared to the Xbox one.

How is that? And what do you mean by inferior implementation?

Edit: just read that news at the top. Damn, only 900mb for the limit?

Top Bottom