• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: Pete Hines Defends His “Solid 30 FPS” Comment...

AmuroChan

I don't understand how Bethesda continues to get a pass from review sites. Skyrim on PS3 was straight up broken at certain parts of the game and it still has a 90+ on Metacritic. I haven't hit any game-breaking bugs in Fallout 4, but the framerate drops are very noticeable.

Didnt take long for someone to post, "its not so bad guys".

Can someone tell me if this game ever gets to Skyrim PS3 levels of unplayable?

What are you talking about? Skyrim on the PS3 is great!

hines_1y4ak2.png

hines_2wrble.png

How is Bethesda's history in issuing patches?

Are they as frequent and substantial as CDPR?

They patch stuff. Mostly fixing broken quests and some minor performance tweaks but don't expect a miracle.

These are issues that have been haunting their console ports for 15 years and have never been fixed. They are not going to fix them now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Didnt take long for someone to post, "its not so bad guys".

Can someone tell me if this game ever gets to Skyrim PS3 levels of unplayable?

Drops to 0fps in a few rare instances on Xbox One so, yes.

Yep, and as that file size grows over time, time will tell if the performance acts the same.

I don't understand how Bethesda continues to get a pass from review sites. Skyrim on PS3 was straight up broken at certain parts of the game and it still has a 90+ on Metacritic. I haven't hit any game-breaking bugs in Fallout 4, but the framerate drops are very noticeable.

That is because reviewers just copy/pasted the 360 review, instead of actually playing it. A bad practice that has been going around since late last gen. That is why we rely on sites like DF more than ever now.

Darksol

"and you can't convince me otherwise" is never a good thing. It basically means, "even in the face of evidence, I will never change my preconceived opinion".

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh shit, that bad?

So these issues in FO4 will likely persist for the foreseeable future?

Time will tell if their patching model will improve this gen, however the same issues their games have suffered from seem to be persistent, as well as the attitude of, "we don't know what you are talking about, smooth and solid on our end".

So it does not look hopeful for that to change, however, it is now up to the gaming media sites to do their due diligence for their readers and write articles to lay pressure on them.

CGwizz

Does anyone believe the lies of this guy? Him and Todd Howard, what a fucking duo xD
The BS is strong in that company.

But hey, its PR, PR gona PR !!!

I still remember the voodoo shaman coders that worked on witcher ps4 version xD
These days we need to wait for the digital foundry review if we dont want to be beta testers.

Fallout4Fallout4Fal @TomoCarty
Come on, Todd! Come on Pete! They were in the iPhone commercial ffs patch it in. @Fallout @DCDeacon @BethesdaStudios
Pete Hines @DCDeacon
@TomoCarty Wait, you have a specific name you insist has to be in the game?!?! Stay right there. This has never happened before.
2:54 PM - 9 Nov 2015
What are they talking about here?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

troll-face-meme.jpg

That explains it.
What's that last one even about?

iPhone commercial? what?

What are they talking about here?

I guess about names like this...

And of course, Pete responds in a abrasive like fashion...

Fallout4Fallout4Fal ‏@TomoCarty Nov 9
A http://change.org petition to get all three members of Perfume and Yasutaka Nakata's names voiced for Codsworth in @Fallout 4.

TGMIII

@DCDeacon

vp of pr/mktg at bethesda.

That right there is all you need to read to understand why he said what he said. Anyone that believed anything he had to say after the issues Skyrim had on PS3 is a fool to do so.

When it comes around to their next game he'll say the same things, people will choose to be willfully ignorant and believe him again only to come to the same conclusion that has happened before and Bethesda will continue to get the pass they've been getting since daggerfall.

Impossiburu

Neo Member
Its far from stable, the entire factory section that you go to at the start is well below 30 FPS nearly the entire time and the framerate nose dives whenever any alpha effects are used which is quite often.

There is no way people are missing these issues, way too frequent.

That's the EXACT section I'm thinking of. The height of the factory on the outside sees it dip massively, and the interior is just as bad.

Beyond that moment, it's better.

i like pete hines, and i think its only normal hes gonna defend the game.

i wouldnt call it "solid 30fps" on ps4, but its still a solid game and framedrops dont even come close to making the game unplayable for me.

maybe its because i grew up gaming on crappy pcs and older gen consoles, but i dont understand the extent of ppl losing their shit over occasional framedrops, especially in an rpg like this. maybei would if it was something faster paced like a fighting game or oldschool arena shooters like quake, unreal etc..

meanspartan

How is Bethesda's history in issuing patches?

Are they as frequent and substantial as CDPR?

Well when I couldn't cure Vampirism in the Oblivion GOTY Edition for Ps3 because the NPC wouldn't accept the bloodgrass even though I had it in my inventory, Bethesda's solution was get a copy of the game that isn't a GOTY and maybe it'll work.

Coulda patched it, but they didn't.

Averon

Their arrogance is astounding.

Why shouldn't they be arrogant?

Consumers and reviewers have told them time and time again that they can release shoddy software and still get 8s and 9s review scores (even some perfect scores, too). They will still sell 10-20 million copies. For fuck sake they released a broken game on the PS3 (Skyrim) and STILL got heaps of praise and massive sales.

Bethesda have every reason in the world to be arrogant.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There would have been news articles everywhere if it wasn't Pete Hines and fallout 4.

That definitely is an issue. Let us all pretend this stuff does not happen everyone.

i wouldnt call it "solid 30fps" on ps4, but its still a solid game and framedrops dont even come close to making the game unplayable for me.

maybe its because i grew up gaming on crappy pcs and older gen consoles, but i dont understand the extent of ppl losing their shit over occasional framedrops, especially in an rpg like this. maybei would if it was something faster paced like a fighting game or oldschool arena shooters like quake, unreal etc..

First of all, how and why do you like him? Personal? You know him in real life? I am curious about this one.

Because as a gamer, and consumer, this PR shit is exactly why one would detest a person or company. This is not sticking up for your product, but straight up being a douche and obtuse and disingenuous to your community.

And this is not "losing your shit" over frame dips, it is the track record for the past 15 years, and straight up not acknowledging the problems to even fix them, let alone basically crapping on your consumers with the condescending tone.

Nice try Todd...

I lol'ed.

Grief.exe

Nice try Todd...

Ciri

Neo Member

Games on consoles were marketed to be 30 framerate, and to drop below from 30 affects gameplay significantly compared to drop from 60. I would rather play on my TI-83 calculator if it has "occasional framedrops", breaks immersion and just not pleasant at all.

Edit: I'm fine with 1-2 framedrops here and there but fallout 4 seems to be far worse off than that

What are you talking about? Skyrim on the PS3 is great!

hines_1y4ak2.png

hines_2wrble.png
I never played Skyrim on PS3 but I thought the problem there was a memory issue that could kill the game dead, but only after playing for an extensive period (extensive being extra relative here considering the huge scope of the game). If so, his remarks here don't seem out of place.

There is just something slimy about Bethesda/Zenimax that sets them off from other major publishers. It's this combination of regularly putting out buggy and janky products, not giving a shit about proper post-release support (Why should we? We've got the modding community for that!), hiding the shortcomings of their products behind large-scale and *very* bullshit-heavy (but admittedly also very effective) marketing campaigns, showing a blatant disregard for their customers and, despite of it all, *still* managing to always get away with it and remain every gaming journalist's darling.

I really have no idea how they manage to do this. I mean, say what you like about EA, Ubisoft and Activision, but they get called out for shit like this. Bethesda though ... they seem to have some sort of magic criticism-repelling teflon coating or whatever. It's really weird.

mekes

I find the game to be mildly janky on PS4. Had one instance where it went to near unplayable, when you obtain (Spoiler for around 1hour in)
the power suit for the first time and fight the Deathclaw.
It must have dropped to 15-20fps at times during that scene and felt extremely uncomfortable to play, think PS3 Blight Town at its worst.

I'd so much prefer a locked 30fps, even if it meant dialing back the visuals a touch. If the game could drop no lower than high 20's I'd settle for that, but some parts are making it drop quite a bit lower and it completely shits on the experience when it happens. Especially since it has happened in an action set piece.

Top Bottom