• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: Pete Hines Defends His “Solid 30 FPS” Comment...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was really that naive to think 'Oh well, graphics aren't great, but at least it'll run solid 30fps'

Feeling soooo stupid right now for thinking and expecting that.

I felt the same way. I was like, well it looks to be originally a cross gen game, but then a very light fresh coat of paint for this gen only, so it surely should run a solid 30fps or never dip below 25 at least...

Then, then reality, again, slapped us in the face.

Timeaisis

I love when some players say, regarding large-scale performance issues, "patch it in". Like it's some easy fix for the developer and not at all a side-effect of using a 10 year old game engine.

Mudcrab

tumblr_nwbq3gkyU51rcxpkoo1_500.png

This combined with what I'm hearing about the super generalized dialogue system is killing my hype.

Alienous

Pete Hines only cares about selling the game. There's no way he's played a solid 30fps version of the game, certainly not months ago.

Foffy

Banned
I haven't really followed F4, but what? There are no skills at all?

They're migrated into a much simplified and streamlined system.

If you consider that a hit similar to what's happened with the dialog, it wouldn't be too outrageous to feel so.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm not usually that sensitive or care much about fluctuating framerate, but this one definitely slightly dips at times (XB1). I'm only early into the game, so only happened a few times. I think it's especially noticeable to me after the super smooth Halo 5.

I've had a few janky bugs too, like aiming at some enemies from inside a building then teleporting instantly out into the action. Random. When stuff like that happens I do wonder why they aren't really interested in fixing the faults - even just from a perfectionist 'We want this to be top tier' kinda angle.

It's kind of a "If you want a sprawling RPG type game like this, Bethesda is the only option." Doesn't excuse it, but having heaps of fun which allows me to gloss over the bugs a little.

I haven't really followed F4, but what? There are no skills at all?

Eh, that image isn't really accurate. Most of the skills are still in the game, they're just perks now. Perks have different levels, so instead of increasing a bunch of skills by a few points, you increase one skill by a lot. It's different, but not that much.

Looks bad and also runs bad, this has to be a new low in the industry.

Very. Might as well tell Rockstar to release the next GTA broken as fuck so we can excuse their bullshit too. And online? Might as well keep the servers like ass because gameplay is all that matters... Ugh

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I feel I've made someone's day much harder :-/

Still, I've been as fair as I could be with the performance video. It's not a solid 30fps by any means - though the experience does vary based on where you go/what you do, especially with all the dynamics this engine has (TOD, weather, quests triggering new events).

I'd like to hear how everyone else gets on with it. But yes, very doubtful anyone's getting flawless frame-rate in this one, on PS4 or Xbox One.

Zoidberg

They must have only let Pete play a small section that performed at 30fps. The game is great and I'm having a blast, but on PS4 at least, performance is not rock solid and it doesn't take a lot of playtime to see. My first major FPS drop was going over the bridge up to the vault at the start <5 minutes in.

Man, what is it about Bethesda games that generate this kind of heated reactions? Does everyone that have an opinion about it here or in the review thread actually played the game?

I don't ask that to be an asshole, but the OT isn't filled with this same passion.

Very. Might as well tell Rockstar to release the next GTA broken as fuck so we can excuse their bullshit too. And online? Might as well keep the servers like ass because gameplay is all that matters... Ugh

Imagine if the next GTA game launched, and it ran at something like 24fps on average, with strange visual and gameplay bugs at launch, backed by a poorly kept online service that barely even functioned at all for several weeks.
It would be unprecedented.

Not that I disagree with the notion that people do excuse Bethesda's bullshit for whatever reasons, and GTA V was ultimately still impressively polished at launch considering its scale and number of moving parts pushing hardware constraints, but still, there's better analogies out there to be made, lol.

Now if the next Mass Effect bore some of these issues, I think I could expect Bioware to get called out for it more than Bethesda does.

Shenmue

Banned
You mean "Toddlers", as the Codex calls him? :p

He gets called out constantly, but it gets shouted down on bigger communities like GAF quite often.

It's super weird. I like the games, don't love them, and talking about the problems gets you a lot of grief around here. I swear GAF was not such a hype machine when I first started reading it...

Hmmm why does it get "shouted down" here on GAF though?

Does Howard actually get hands on programming the game and whatnot or he is just more of an ideas guy like Kojima with Metal Gear?

Is he in charge of managing the teams and pushing them to hit certain goals during the development of the game? Surely a VP like Hines isn't the one in charge of ensuring the game is programmed correctly and optimized right?

P.S.: "Toddlers" Seriously? Gag.

Theorry

Its good that they finally called out about it. Hope they learn.

Meanwhile the XBO version is hitting zero.

If any other game launched this poorly optimized and bug-ridden, it'd be buried already. Looks like we'll need the mod community to save the day once again.

AC Unity comes to mind. Wich even got attention from the big sites.
Its the only way they learn.

Sande

The framerate is pretty fucking bad a lot of the time. Of course they're not going to go around advertising that, but they could at least shut up instead of lying.

Isn't he the PR manager for Zenimax? We all just have to learn ignore this kind of shit, especially when it's regarding a Bethesda game. If you're concerned about frame rate then don't pre-order, don't buy day one and wait for analyses from the likes of Digital Foundry and NX Gamer as well as feedback from other gaffers.

Imagine if the next GTA game launched, and it ran at something like 24fps on average, with strange visual and gameplay bugs at launch, backed by a poorly kept online service that barely even functioned at all for several weeks.

It would be unprecedented.

Not that I disagree with the notion that people do excuse Bethesda's bullshit for whatever reasons, but you could have picked a better analogy, lol

GTA 5 was not broken on release. Definitely had bugs but it's wasn't graphically handicapped and the online issue was unfortunate.. But Rockstar response wasn't deal with it and because one person says it's happening doesn't mean it's true... Seriously?

And let's be real, Rockstar fixes their shit. I'll be waiting for a drought to happen in Boston before Bethesda gets this game even near 75% good.

I'm being harsh but I mean year after year of the same shit? It's unacceptable... It really is and this attitude when put on the spot about it is even worse.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isn't he the PR manager for Zenimax? We all just have to learn ignore this kind of shit, especially when it's regarding a Bethesda game. If you're concerned about frame rate then don't pre-order, don't buy day one and wait for analyses from the likes of Digital Foundry and NX Gamer as well as feedback from other gaffers.

Bethesda the publisher, but yes, which is why people were mocking those who considered his pre-release tweets regarding performance as incontrovertible evidence of flawlessness.

Servbot24

Banned
We can't even get mad at these guys. Its what they do.

And reviewers never find these tech issues. Its like they are blind to them.

Edit: And every gaffer who gets the game early is blind to it. Well, mostly.
I see it and I don't care. If I were writing a review I probably wouldn't mention a frame drop, because the review is about my personal experience (sometimes this does halter gameplay - in that case I would mention it, but that's very rare). For frame rate measurements there's Digital Foundry. For personal reactions there are reviews.

CloudWolf

Pete Hines is like a kid that just puts his fingers in his ears and shouts LA LA LA until everybody has tired of complaining.

I also love his reaction to the Digital Foundry article. "Hey, it says it holds 30 FPS as a general rule. So..." Yes Pete, it does. That sentence is almost immediately followed by a "but", though.

If he thinks
Corvega Assembly Plant
is 30fps then he needs to get his eyes checked asap because there is something seriously wrong with them. I reckon it dips into single digits in there.

It's linked to framerate. If you literally play the game at higher fps, animations and the like actually run faster.

You can literally play the game as a "Sonic mod" just by having a monitor with a high refresh rate. It's hilarious.

Video proof to my claims, by the way.

Wow.

Pete Hines is like a kid that just puts his fingers in his ears and shouts LA LA LA until everybody has tired of complaining.

I also love his reaction to the Digital Foundry article. "Hey, it says it hoofd 30 FPS as a general rule. So..." Yes Pete, it does. That sentence is almost immediately followed by a "but", though.

&#8220;It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.&#8221; Upton Sinclair

Lothars

I see it and I don't care. If I were writing a review I probably wouldn't mention a frame drop, because the review is about my personal experience (sometimes this does halter gameplay - in that case I would mention it, but that's very rare). For frame rate measurements there's Digital Foundry. For personal reactions there are reviews.
Exactly, I haven't had an issue with the frame rate but it does affect others differently. Hopefully they will fix it for the people affected.

Squire

Banned
Pete Hines is the biggest asshole on Twitter.

Hines looks miserable in everything they do with him. Corporate seniority must really be something at Bethesda because I can't imagine why they continue to let him be a public face. I imagine he's good in his actual role (PR manager, right?), but i feel like they'd be better off putting a fresh-faced intern in front of people. Anyone that'll crack a smile for once.

It's linked to framerate. If you literally play the game at higher fps, animations and the like actually run faster.

You can literally play the game as a "Sonic mod" just by having a monitor with a high refresh rate. It's hilarious.

Video proof to my claims, by the way.

jesus fucking christ

meanwhile I can enjoy SC2 Legacy of the Void at a buttery 120fps with no problems. Why can't devs like Bethesda get their shit together on PC?

The PS4/XBONE versions are the premier versions of the game. Cutting edge frame limiting tech is making these versions relatively bug free, while the PC crowd has to deal with game breaking bugs when trying to interact with the first computer terminal in the game.

Lol, when you're right you're right. I was so happy getting 144fps inside buildings until I realized I can't hack terminals and then had to cap it to 60. The spoiled child in me was pretty sad.
Does starting a new game fix his issue?
No

Played the game for a few hours today on XB1 and while I'm pleased to report the stuttering has been minimal and no 0fps situations have been encountered, the game does drop to lower framerates pretty frequently, especially in interiors. I was exploring the (super minor location spoiler)
Corvega factory
and in certain areas it felt like 10-15, or maybe even lower. When it gets that low, your sensitivity feels a lot higher, too. It's weird and although it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game, it really should be patched.

Top Bottom