• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Zero TV |OT| Now 100% mollusk free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ib2akAQZW4GPPg.png
The fourth Holy Grail War has begun. Seven magi must summon seven Heroic Spirits to compete to obtain the power of the "Holy Grail," which grants one wish to the victors.​

There exists a plane outside of human concepts, and within there is the Throne of Heroes. Here, the records of famous (and infamous) individuals are kept, to be used as eternal guardians of mankind. The definition
of "hero" is broad - even the ruthless and the heartless are the heroes of their own tales. Centuries ago, three families - Einzbern, Makiri, Tohsaka - conducted a dark and bloody ritual; Heaven's Feel, the Holy Grail War of Fuyuki.
A battle between seven magi, competing for a chance to wish upon a "Holy Grail", the 726th branded by The Church. Epic Spirits from the Throne are summoned and bound to the material world, becoming
"Servants" to their summoner "Masters". To keep their true names hidden, the seven Servants are sorted into one of seven Classes: Saber, Archer, Lancer, Rider, Caster, Berserker, and Assassin.
In addition, each Servant is armed with the mysteries that symbolize their legend - Noble Phantasms, legendary armaments and abilities.

As each Servant falls, the Holy Grail receives their power, until only one remains, and the Grail is ready to grant the winners' wishes.​

ibwL6qPAYk96PP.png

ibhBgKekBg8Yxa.png
Master of Saber, unconfident and unhappy, adopts a strategy of exploiting a magus' weak point using technology.
A coldblooded assassin skilled in hunting magicians. Entered the Einzbern family to realize his lifelong wish: to obtain the Holy Grail.​

iGBafwFgGtfdI.png
Master of Assassin, works for Tokiomi and does everything he is asked to do to the best of his ability,
but lacks fulfillment, which he sees mirrored in Kiritsugu, for whom he feels a compulsive hatred.​

ihtoNWTHaHXUv.png
Father of Rin Tōsaka and Sakura Matō, Master of Archer, arrogant and manipulative,
arranges for Kirei Kotomine to be his "pupil". Thinks highly of Kotomine and has him serve him.​

ibglNoesxi3c0e.png
Master of Rider, future Lord El-Melloi II. Steals his teacher's artifact and uses it to summon Rider.
Plans to use the Grail to force the Magus Association to recognize his genius. Despite his difficulties
with Rider's overbearing nature, Waver and his Servant form a strong relationship.​

iSe9IvJms5NXJ.png
Master of Berserker, makes a deal with Zouken Matou that he will win the Grail War in exchange
for Sakura Tohsaka's freedom. He is the only member of Matou family who truly loves Sakura,
and is upset that Tokiomi allowed his younger daughter to be adopted by Zouken.
However, the war is taxing on Kariya, not only because of his lack of formal training, but also
due to the nature of the Matou family's magecraft and the demands required to maintain Berserker.​

iTxVwJH7ok34Z.png
Master of Caster, sociopathic serial killer who summons Caster after murdering a family and using
their blood as a component in the summoning ritual. He does not seek the Holy Grail, but follows
Caster in order to find new thrilling ways to kill people and relieve his boredom.​

ibqtOgyMx0GEkO.png
Master of Lancer, a nobleman from the Magus Association and genius magus. His artifact is stolen by Waver Velvet,
but he manages to summon Lancer anyway. While he holds the command spells for Lancer, the energy to materialize
the Servant is maintained by Sola-Ui. He is confident in his abilities and takes pride in his heritage, but finds the extent of
Kiritsugu's untraditional and underhanded tactics both offensive and unexpectedly challenging to overcome.​

ibwaqoSnBwpDsf.png

im3oFlIrupV0M.jpg
Saber is one of the seven normal Servant classes summoned for the Holy Grail War.
Servants placed within this class are agile and powerful melee warriors and it is commonly
assumed to be the best class overall, with high ratings in all categories. It is one of the three Knight classes,
together with Lancer and Archer, and also possesses the Riding skill like the Rider class.​

ibjyHx8A7s5bgZ.jpg
Archer is one of the seven normal Servant classes in the Heaven's Feel ritual. Servants placed
within this class are usually proficient with projectiles and could survive longer without a Master nearby,
thanks to their special ability Independent Action.
They also tend to have many more Noble Phantasms at their disposal than other classes.
It is one of the three Knight classes, together with Lancer and Saber.​

iVlbn89fS1plq.jpg
Lancer is one of the seven normal Servant classes summoned for the Holy Grail War.
Servants placed within this class are very agile and skilled with long-range melee weapons,
such as spears, lances, etc. It is one of the three Knight classes, together with Archer and Saber.​

ib1oSABY0LEgU8.jpg
Caster is one of the seven normal Servant classes summoned for the Holy Grail War.
Servants placed within this class are adept in magecraft and have a special ability akin to Reality Marble,
called Territory Creation, which alters or creates space around them to enhance their sorcery.​

ibmHiLQ5UMq7p8.jpg
Berserker is one of the seven normal Servant classes summoned for the Holy Grail War.
Servants placed within this class are always incarnations of heroes who have gone berserk in their lifetime.
This trait allows them to use the special ability Mad Enhancement, which trades their consciousness (i.e. sanity) for a large power boost.​

iHMVHnc3metSG.jpg
Rider is one of the seven normal Servant classes summoned for the Holy Grail War.
Servants placed within this class place emphasis upon speed and powerful Noble Phantasms
and their special skill is Riding, which allows them to fully utilize abilities of their mounts
(ranging from simple horses, through motorcycles, to divine creatures).​

ie2HtlBpkk9Nr.jpg
Assassin is one of the seven normal Servant classes summoned for the Holy Grail War.
Servants placed within this class are always, as a rule, one of the 19 Hassan i Sabbah, the leaders
of the clan of the Hashshashins who passed the name down. This rule comes from how the word "assassin"
itself finds its etymological roots in that clan. The Assassins' special ability is Presence Concealment,
which allows them to remain undetected. This, and their weak fighting skills, makes the Assassin
class rely heavily on stealth and usually go after human Masters rather their Servants.​

zeroshiki

Great job, I9. The series really has picked up since the 2nd episode and its full steam ahead, it seems. Glad to be wrong on this one.

Instro

Turned out so much better than I would have ever expected to be honest. At least so far anyway. Nice OP btw.

gokieks

Very much enjoying the series so far. It'd be best to note, however, that there is nearly no explanation for anyone who tries to get into this without previous exposure to Fate/stay night, so they will probably be quite lost.

And those who only watched the F/sn anime and didn't play the VN might be too to a lesser extent.

gokieks said:
And those who only watched the F/sn anime and didn't play the VN might be too to a lesser extent.

They'd probably be mostly fine, though those who haven't played through Heaven's Feel probably won't understand what's going on with Zouken/Kariya/Sakura.

zeroshiki

I've actually wished that FSN didn't exist multiple times while watching F/Z.

FSN is now just an annoyance that spoils the result of the Holy Grail War in F/Z for me.

Easily the best anime of the season. It's not cliche free but it seems to avoid most of the ones that seem to plague most other series now and it's actually super interesting

Solune

gokieks said:
Very much enjoying the series so far. It'd be best to note, however, that there is nearly no explanation for anyone who tries to get into this without previous exposure to Fate/stay night, so they will probably be quite lost.

Actually, getting into Fate/Zero without prior knowledge or acquaintance of F/SN and it's offshoots is the best way to experience it.

Instro

gokieks said:

Doesn't seem to be effecting anyone in the anime thread who didn't watch FSN, or only watched a few episodes of it. There isn't a need for prior knowledge in the series as it is a prequel. The first episode, while incredibly wordy, does a good job of laying everything out for people to understand.

And to be honest its probably best if you have no prior knowledge anyway. Most people were skeptical of this show because FSN was pretty bad, so I can't say I would recommend anyone bother checking that out if they are already watching this. Besides the obvious fact that it would spoil most of it for them.

The first 20 minutes of the first episode are by far the worst part of this show; if you can get past that and especially get to the second episode, you should be able to enjoy it. Rider and Waver are the best!

gokieks said:

Nah, I have no real familiarity with Fate Stay/Night and while I was a little lost at first, by the third episode I'm able to follow everything without trouble. It's not that complicated even though it likes to pretend to be.

I just started watching this and episode 2 made want to start tuning in to the whole series. Episode 1 is a drag though.

That scene with the summon with the little kid was quite fucked up.

For the record, I have no prior exposure to the previous anime and games and I loved it. Will be tuning in for sure.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icarus-daedelus said:
So exactly how many games do you need to play to understand this series?
I think the first episode took care of needing to play FSN by explaining things that would apply to Zero.

jman2050

Getting through episode 1 is a chore, but the second and third ones were much much much more promising.

Definitely looking forward to how this progresses.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Good show, the typemoon writing is still kind of annoying at times along with the exposition; but i really like the psuedo live-action esque direction and the overall atmosphere of the series, the plot also kind of reminds me of a good j-rpg in a way with the serious bns tone, in-depth world-building, cool occult fantasy setting etc, the fact it's all delivered in such a classy deliberate way makes it very fun to watch imo.

I can't wait for next weeks episode!

zeroshiki

Replicant said:
What is this and what is its connection to Fate/Stay Night?

Badass prequel with very few underaged characters.

EDIT: damn you dresden. Again?! Do you intercept my messages or something?

Wasn't Fate/Stay Night an eroge? I knew this guy at my work who always played eroge and dating sims, he looked like one of those guys in the "Japan" memes who'd fondle the pillows and so forth. Hilarious times man lol

Kyoufu

Please give me more of
Gilgamesh

In Stay Night, they did mention he would be in this war, right? I want more of him!

duckroll

This is a kickass show. I was shitting on ufotable and Fate/Zero before it aired, because well, Type-Moon sucks and ufotable anime usually looks pretty bad. But OMG THE CROW STEW WAS DELICIOUS.

This is the best new anime of the Fall 2011 season for me. So good.

Kyoufu

duckroll said:
This is a kickass show. I was shitting on ufotable and Fate/Zero before it aired, because well, Type-Moon sucks and ufotable anime usually looks pretty bad. But OMG THE CROW STEW WAS DELICIOUS.

This is the best new anime of the Fall 2011 season for me. So good.

Type Moon sucks? Heathen!!

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
All hail the predictive powers of infi-kun and the delicious crow he doth serve~

The names in this series are really silly though.
It's no Mardock Scramble, which has: Rune Balot, Œufcoque Penteano, Shell Septinos, Dimsdale Boiled, Mincemeat the Wink, Welldone the Pussyhand, Rare the Hair, Medium the Fingernail and Fresh the Pike.

daffy

Banned
The OP told me a whole bunch of nothing tbh. I looked it up and apparently its an anime of that series with the videogame Fate/Extra that's coming out. Will maybe watch.

duckroll

Instro said:
24-25, but it will be split. Last half will air next Spring iirc.

It's 25 episodes. From now until end December, they will air 13 episodes. The first episode is also double length, so that's like 14 normal episodes. Next Spring they will start the second season, which will run for 12 episodes.

I love this show after the first two eps, great to see that Gilgamesh is just as much of an arrogant douche as he was in Fate/Stay Night.

Solune

FTH said:
The OP told me a whole bunch of nothing tbh. I looked it up and apparently its an anime of that series with the videogame Fate/Extra that's coming out. Will maybe watch.
Other than having recurring characters from the same universe, Fate/Extra has nothing to do with Fate/Stay night nor Fate/Zero canonically. So no this is not an anime of Fate/Extra. It is an anime adaptation of the light novel Fate/Zero.

Swag

Finished watching episode 01, pretty good, but so much to take in at once, trying to link some of the characters to their roles in Fate/Stay Night is so hard having not watched it in years.

Episode 02 spoiler

Caster killing that kid, felt a bit of a chill

Reknoc

Episode 1 was a chore to get through, but I'm glad I did since this took a turn for the much better after that.

Only way it could be better is if it was a slice of life series about Waver and Rider.

daffy

Banned
Solune said:
Other than having recurring characters from the same universe, Fate/Extra has nothing to do with Fate/Stay night nor Fate/Zero canonically. So no this is not an anime of Fate/Extra. It is an anime adaptation of the light novel Fate/Zero.
Oh... looks like i just wandered into a thread not meant for me as usual lol

qcf x2

Fate/Stay was garbage. This is supposed to be good? I dunno. Would I have to suffer through the original series to understand what's going on? If so I pass.

duckroll

qcf x2 said:
Fate/Stay was garbage. This is supposed to be good? I dunno. Would I have to suffer through the original series to understand what's going on? If so I pass.

No. FSN doesn't exist.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
qcf x2 said:
Fate/Zero is a prequel so you should be fine to watch it on it's own.

Solune

FTH said:
Oh... looks like i just wandered into a thread not meant for me as usual lol
I don't know about "not meant" for you, I just wanted to point out that Fate/Extra in fact does not have anything to do with Fate/Zero. So people that are excited about Fate/Extra that know nothing about the franchise don't get confused. Whether you are a fan of Fate or Type-Moon, or not a fan of either, you should be able to enjoy Fate/Zero.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Finally an anime I can enjoy. I liked FSN and this is shaping up to be even better so.... Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom