• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

favorite ambient game music

tnw

Banned
we're not talking about strident epic anthems here, but the almost medatative 'music' without a real melody or tempo, etc you find in some parts of games. Let's also include good ambient sound with no music, just atmospheric sound.

I'll list some:

Dr. Andonuts Lab (Earthbound)

Sea of Eden (Earthbound)

Desert ambience (Secret of Evermore)

Seashore (Secret of Evermore)

Nobilia marketplace (Secret of Evermore)

Forest (Secret of Evermroe)

Mysterious (Mario Paint)

Also every single area of Tingle's Rupeeland. Some of the best use of ambient sound I've seen in a game ever. So awesome.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Theme to Ico.

There's some incredibly soothing music in Eternal Sonata... Chopin's da man.

Melchiah

Ike said:
Most everything in Silent Hill 2.

Another vote for Silent Hill series. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Shadow of Memories and Project Zero shouldn't be forgotten either.

The only one I can think of at this exact moment is Phantasy Star Online for some reason. I love area music in that game. Not sure if it can really be considered ambient, but it seems to fit after a decent length period of listening to it.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Hitochi Sakimoto's ambiental tracks on Vagrant Story, and Masashi Hamauzu's ambiental tracks in all the games he worked on.

AAK

Resident Evil 2: Mansion theme

Resident Evil 3: Saveroom theme

Devil May Cry: Public Enemy

Shadow of the Collosus: Almost everything

Twix

I love the Shenhua’s Theme from Shenmue.
edit: Shenmue in general has some good ambient music.

MutFox

Banned
Was gonna say DKC Underwater music,
but then I thought of a better one, "Underwater Frigate" in Metroid Prime.

Nakasan

Everquest; the village in the trees music.

Please god, someone find the tune for me. I want it at my funeral and have no idea what its called. Without it, its gunna be one saaaaaaad day.

Also worthy of mention:

Mario 64 water level - damn right its ambiotic.
Ico Heal music
Alien Trilogy Saturn Version - The entire games music is orgasmospill levels of excellence
NiGHTS - The start of Dreams Dreams is ambience turned upto 11.

Top Bottom