• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Favorite backgrounds in 2-D Fighters?

Kurtofan

Member
May 8, 2009
22,670
0
0
France
luka said:
Just to give SNK's recent efforts some recognition:

]
"Faites son mieux" urgh.
And why the fuck are there fatties everywhere?
And why are the flags red,white,blue instead of blue,white,red.
 

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sep 30, 2004
15,088
0
0
Georgia
baconmcshig.tumblr.com
I don't really have a problem with carnivals and circuses. I wouldn't even have an issue with a giant clown head if it looked like something you might find at one.

But I do have a problem with an impossibly ugly giant clown head that convulses and jiggles as if it's some grotesque otherworldly fusion of animatronics and Jell-O.

As far as 2.5D backgrounds go, I'm really taken with the Hand Hideout stage from MvC3. Definitely feels like it was made in the spirit of a lot of these 2D ones, impressive setpiece with lots of detail in the center, little animated tomfoolery happening on the side.
 

GhaleonQ

Member
Aug 24, 2006
11,572
18
1,260
Milwaukee/Wisconsin Rapids/Hanover
Shig said:
I don't really have a problem with carnivals and circuses. I wouldn't even have an issue with a giant clown head if it looked like something you might find at one.

But I do have a problem with an impossibly ugly giant clown head that convulses and jiggles as if it's some grotesque otherworldly fusion of animatronics and Jell-O.

*laughs* That's fair!
 
Apr 21, 2010
6,977
0
0
Personally, I hate all those new KOF backgrounds from XII and XIII. They're just such a clusterfuck of animation going everywhere and just distracting as hell, and well...bleh. I won't deny they're beautifully MADE...but they clearly didn't think them out all that well. Much prefer SNK's older stuff.

Anyway, some personal favs come from the far superior SNES version of TMNT:





 

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sep 11, 2005
31,446
1
1,255
35
los angeles
Criminal Upper said:
Personally, I hate all those new KOF backgrounds from XII and XIII. They're just such a clusterfuck of animation going everywhere and just distracting as hell, and well...bleh. I won't deny they're beautifully MADE...but they clearly didn't think them out all that well. Much prefer SNK's older stuff.

Anyway, some personal favs come from the far superior SNES version of TMNT:






studio 6 from tournament fighters happens to be one of my personal favorites.
 

Noogy

Member
Jan 5, 2009
3,095
0
0
noogy.com
Thank you everyone for keeping the fading dream alive. Some amazing pixel art in here.

Galamauth said:
the background in THIS :)

I have no idea what that is but it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen!
 

sixteen-bit

Member
Aug 16, 2006
169,312
24
0
cj_iwakura said:
This thread is a blatant reminder why Arcana Heart and doujin fighters in general have horrible background design.

They're lifeless, static images.
Something something Vanguard Princess

(exception to the rule I know)
 

depths20XX

Member
Dec 4, 2009
5,371
26
935
Kurtofan said:
"Faites son mieux" urgh.
And why the fuck are there fatties everywhere?
And why are the flags red,white,blue instead of blue,white,red.

SNK Playmore trolling France
 
Sep 3, 2004
25,482
0
0
Pookmunki said:
I love the animated transitions into stages in CVS, the car chase being my favourite.

CvS Gameplay
I forgot all about that! CVS1 did some cool stuff with stage intros and changing up the music for the final round.

Anyway, this thread is fucking awesome. SNK had godly pixel artists in the late 90s. Those KOF99 gifs make me wish I had played that game more. Backgrounds that change from round to round are so rad. I know Garou did that, and there was KOF99 and one of the Street Fighter IIIs. Any I'm forgetting?

I remember one of the Last Blades had this awesome snow level where the snow would get knocked out of a tree's branches onto the ground after you comboed a guy. It was fucking sweet.

And I don't know where to find a gif of it, but IIRC Charlie's stage from Alpha 2 was pretty cool, with an animated Harrier in the background.
 
Sep 3, 2004
25,482
0
0
It would be hilarious if after the fight, the winner got in the car and drove off.

Oh! And Bison's stage in Alpha 3 (arcade version) had these swirling clouds in the background that would periodically form into a skull shape. The PSX port had a way lamer version of this.
 

Host Samurai

Member
Dec 18, 2008
13,858
2
710
NYC
Loved this. The music adds so much to this level.



Also this. Always love a good city and the music was great too. Very fitting against the enemy.

 

Izayoi

Banned
Jul 25, 2010
18,059
0
0
Host Samurai said:
Always loved this one. Was so pissed they butchered it for the home release

http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mk1/arenas/thepitbottom/01.png[/MG][/QUOTE]
Protip: Save the image and rehost, every time.

Hotlinking is only asking for trouble.
 

Host Samurai

Member
Dec 18, 2008
13,858
2
710
NYC
Izayoi said:
Protip: Save the image and rehost, every time.

Hotlinking is only asking for trouble.

Thanks for the tip but how do I do I rehost? I am not the best when it comes to these things.
 

J2d

Member
May 21, 2007
2,019
0
0
Great thread, makes me wanna pick up fighting games again, Last Blade 2 especially.
 

Ferrio

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
56,398
1
0
I'm always curious why the backgrounds went to shit the further in the installments in SF games.

SFIII's and especially Impact was awesome. Third Strike's was lackluster
CvS1's backgrounds are easily some of the best ever, then you have CvS2 which were nice but nothing special.
 

Izayoi

Banned
Jul 25, 2010
18,059
0
0
Host Samurai said:
Thanks for the tip but how do I do I rehost? I am not the best when it comes to these things.
http://imgur.com

Tinypic likes to do all kinds of nasty things to your images, but if you don't mind them mutilating it go for it.
 

galvatron

Member
Mar 22, 2010
4,518
0
0
Austin, TX
Shig said:
Thread inspired me to make some avatars, have at 'em:

So tempting...

I can't believe how many of these I forgot about. KOF '94 is probably my favorite KOF and the backgrounds might have a lot to do with that.
 
Sep 3, 2004
25,482
0
0
galvatron said:
So tempting...

I can't believe how many of these I forgot about. KOF '94 is probably my favorite KOF and the backgrounds might have a lot to do with that.
It had rad music too... especially the Ikari Warriors stage.
 

galvatron

Member
Mar 22, 2010
4,518
0
0
Austin, TX
I have to hold it down for the Rodney Dangerfield of fighters. Anytime I have people over for a day of gaming, World Heroes Perfect is usually mandatory.