Favorite backgrounds in 2-D Fighters?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sep 30, 2004
Georgia
baconmcshig.tumblr.com
I don't really have a problem with carnivals and circuses. I wouldn't even have an issue with a giant clown head if it looked like something you might find at one.

But I do have a problem with an impossibly ugly giant clown head that convulses and jiggles as if it's some grotesque otherworldly fusion of animatronics and Jell-O.

As far as 2.5D backgrounds go, I'm really taken with the Hand Hideout stage from MvC3. Definitely feels like it was made in the spirit of a lot of these 2D ones, impressive setpiece with lots of detail in the center, little animated tomfoolery happening on the side.

Shig said:
I don't really have a problem with carnivals and circuses. I wouldn't even have an issue with a giant clown head if it looked like something you might find at one.

But I do have a problem with an impossibly ugly giant clown head that convulses and jiggles as if it's some grotesque otherworldly fusion of animatronics and Jell-O.
*laughs* That's fair!

Apr 21, 2010
Personally, I hate all those new KOF backgrounds from XII and XIII. They're just such a clusterfuck of animation going everywhere and just distracting as hell, and well...bleh. I won't deny they're beautifully MADE...but they clearly didn't think them out all that well. Much prefer SNK's older stuff.

Anyway, some personal favs come from the far superior SNES version of TMNT:

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sep 11, 2005
los angeles
Criminal Upper said:
Personally, I hate all those new KOF backgrounds from XII and XIII. They're just such a clusterfuck of animation going everywhere and just distracting as hell, and well...bleh. I won't deny they're beautifully MADE...but they clearly didn't think them out all that well. Much prefer SNK's older stuff.

Anyway, some personal favs come from the far superior SNES version of TMNT:

studio 6 from tournament fighters happens to be one of my personal favorites.

Sep 3, 2004
Pookmunki said:
I love the animated transitions into stages in CVS, the car chase being my favourite.

CvS Gameplay
I forgot all about that! CVS1 did some cool stuff with stage intros and changing up the music for the final round.

Anyway, this thread is fucking awesome. SNK had godly pixel artists in the late 90s. Those KOF99 gifs make me wish I had played that game more. Backgrounds that change from round to round are so rad. I know Garou did that, and there was KOF99 and one of the Street Fighter IIIs. Any I'm forgetting?

I remember one of the Last Blades had this awesome snow level where the snow would get knocked out of a tree's branches onto the ground after you comboed a guy. It was fucking sweet.

And I don't know where to find a gif of it, but IIRC Charlie's stage from Alpha 2 was pretty cool, with an animated Harrier in the background.

Sep 3, 2004
It would be hilarious if after the fight, the winner got in the car and drove off.

Oh! And Bison's stage in Alpha 3 (arcade version) had these swirling clouds in the background that would periodically form into a skull shape. The PSX port had a way lamer version of this.

Jul 25, 2010
Host Samurai said:
Always loved this one. Was so pissed they butchered it for the home release

http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mk1/arenas/thepitbottom/01.png[/MG][/QUOTE]
Protip: Save the image and rehost, every time.

Hotlinking is only asking for trouble.

Jun 7, 2004
I'm always curious why the backgrounds went to shit the further in the installments in SF games.

SFIII's and especially Impact was awesome. Third Strike's was lackluster
CvS1's backgrounds are easily some of the best ever, then you have CvS2 which were nice but nothing special.